Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

T Zero posted:

I love that "preserve nature" is the first bullet point.

Also in French, but the first point in German just says "protect your life"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protect Ya Life - Wu-spencade Clan.mp3

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Also in French, but the first point in German just says "protect your life"?

loving Germans, so self centered

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Regarding service manuals, a buddy of mine spent about $500 on the first service for his Shadow, so I downloaded the service manual and had it printed and spiral bound for him.

Partially because it's so useful to have a printed manual, but mostly to make fun of him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao $500 for an oil dump and a check over done by the lowest paid guy there. I need to charge more.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You really do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not even sort of ashamed to admit that I have a cupholder coming from Amazon this weekend.

Today I had the good idea to grab lunch and eat by a river, which is conveniently a relaxing 20 minute goldwing ride away.

I got my food, which went in the top box and my drink, which I wound up having to stash in the fuel filler door. It worked pretty well actually, but wasn’t convenient, and it spent a solid 5 minutes being blasted by hot engine air.

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hell yeah, I often grab drinks when I'm out and about and if I get something small enough I can stash it in my tank bag and wedge it in place with the other stuff in there.

Bit surprised the wing doesn't come with a built in cupholder though :v:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not even sort of ashamed to admit that I have a cupholder coming from Amazon this weekend.

Today I had the good idea to grab lunch and eat by a river, which is conveniently a relaxing 20 minute goldwing ride away.

I got my food, which went in the top box and my drink, which I wound up having to stash in the fuel filler door. It worked pretty well actually, but wasn’t convenient, and it spent a solid 5 minutes being blasted by hot engine air.

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

Lol I bought some weirdo gimballed one for my dad’s GSA. it’s great. got him a sippy cup can topper for red bulls too lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A big mac combo with a drink fits very nicely into the ZRX well without spilling

I can't imagine having a cupholder, how the gently caress do you drink with a fullface?

(lol I tried looking for someone splashing a soda off their visor like a big galoot but instead I found this on the Harley forums

The guy who posted it did say don't drink and ride, but still, lmao)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldn’t drink out of it, just transport. I got one that I can take off easily so it’s not on all the time

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh ok like five seconds after I posted that I was like, modular, and stoplights

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Hells yes, I can't effectively drink while I ride, but I have a thermos that has to get to work every day and after a handful of failed in-topbox attachment attempts I accepted the fact that an external holster is the only way.

Mind you I'm leary of putting loose objects in front of me, and there's a zip-tie line as a failsafe to keep it from rotating down at the tire if the clamp fails. Losing the coffee would be bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Won't that thermos cup rim be covered in road dust and insect guts?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not in practice these last 5 months, but my ride in is only ~4 miles at VanVan speeds so I believe the bugs are being gently moved around the cylinder on clouds of air. Sooner or later I'm sure it'll pick up something unpleasant.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve tucked my thermos right behind my butt on the seat and strapped it to the rack with success. There’s no wind and stuff never seems to shift around back there.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

right behind my butt / there’s no wind and stuff never seems to shift around back there.

:haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

This thing is so dumb but I already love it

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That looks like the one I got, keep checking the clamp knob if you did it hand tight, I continued to get new play the first few weeks, probably till I hand tightened on a cold morning.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Now you need a cigar holder and an ash tray.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

That looks like the one I got, keep checking the clamp knob if you did it hand tight, I continued to get new play the first few weeks, probably till I hand tightened on a cold morning.

I cranked it down pretty tight but I’ll keep an eye on it just in case.

I also might only put it on when I have something to carry, depending on how obnoxious it is to leave on the bar.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I am absolutely not in the market, but check out the storage
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1673881172973651

Meep Meep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dad-geneering:

The coils and wires on both goldwings are nearly 40 years old and need replacement. For the most part coils are coils, a local wrecker had some coils from a Dodge Neon for $10. I made some plug wires, one of them is gray because apparently 5 feet on the internet is a different measurement than 5 feet in the real world. I used to just be able to walk into the auto parts store and buy plug wire by the foot. The (Neon) connector for these coils is available but I sunk the wires (oem color correct) in resin and terminated the other end with the same connector Honda uses and sheathed the wires:

Welded some brackets from scrap steel and mounted in the same location:

Works as expected. This bike is becoming nothing more than a rolling parts shelf, ready to sacrifice itself when the need arrives. It runs and rides, but the carbs are in desperate need of full teardown and the bike isn't really worth that investment considering I paid $450 for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New goldwing, still on that same old death stranding bullshit

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You do transport with your bike right? As in you use it during your job couring?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is NOT a Honda approved method of using the rider seat bolster sir. Sir!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You do transport with your bike right? As in you use it during your job couring?

Yeah, I take customer packages to the shipping depot with it. That’s what’s on/in both bikes in both pics.

I’m not a courier but being a courier is part of my job

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Same here, packed up 3 laptops for clients on the trip out, stopped at the grocery store on the way back.

Starting to look at GL1500's for more storage and comfort.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If nothing else you get a 6 cylinder motor and a reduction to 2 carbs if you need to clean them

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

New goldwing, still on that same old death stranding bullshit

If the luggage capacity on a sodding Goldwing is now proving to be insufficient, which it clearly is, why have you not yet invested in a Goldwing trailer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm already planning a trip to Rivco in Burlington, WI, who makes trailer hitches for Goldwings :getin:

Its also so I can do this

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Many years ago I was a kid in a campground when two Goldwings rolled in. One had a trailer that was a pop-up tent and a sidecar with two kids. The other had a cargo trailer and a sidecar with a dog in it.

Sadly this was before cellphones, so I have no photos, but that couple was living the family motorcycle life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Had to pick up some stuff down by the WI/IL border and arrived with a half hour to kill so I found a park with some shade to cool down in and do the wimpiest off-roading imaginable on the goldwing

That being said the temperatures today inspired me to get some sort of breathable seat cover for it because man does that seat instigate rear end sweat when the temps and the humidity are both up in the 80’s. I got so used to the beaded seat on the old golf swing (I’m leaving that autocorrect lol) that I sort of forgot what sitting on a big vinyl seat is like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
DADBIKE- Post your golf swings

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Had to pick up some stuff down by the WI/IL border and arrived with a half hour to kill so I found a park with some shade to cool down in and do the wimpiest off-roading imaginable on the goldwing

That being said the temperatures today inspired me to get some sort of breathable seat cover for it because man does that seat instigate rear end sweat when the temps and the humidity are both up in the 80’s. I got so used to the beaded seat on the old golf swing (I’m leaving that autocorrect lol) that I sort of forgot what sitting on a big vinyl seat is like.

What sort of bead seat are you getting. I’m putting 8000km on the st this summer, and it might help with the miles?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had this, which works fantastic, but eventually the wood flakes away and it stained my seat a bit on the old goldwing.

https://a.co/d/4HVZMic

This time I’m trying this: https://a.co/d/igFza7h

It’s supposed to be basically as good as the air hawk, but cheaper

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Golf swings, AI just gets better by the day.

Currently looking through GL1500 listings and it would take me a year to look at all the pristine examples under $4k in person. The prices on them are tanking, nobody is buying anything more than $3k.

super brief GL1500 buyer's guide:

made them for 13 years without many changes.
Interstate is the "stripper" model without reverse
Bikes equipped with floorboards and heel/toe shifters can develop a 4th gear popout. I bet this applies to the GL1100/1200 too, though I can't find any evidence of it.
Belts, belts, belts (applies to all Goldwings).

Phy posted:

DADBIKE- Post your golf swings

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d say 7/10 messages I get about my 1200 ask about the belts. If the average joe knows about them, that’s pretty impressive

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d say 7/10 messages I get about my 1200 ask about the belts. If the average joe knows about them, that’s pretty impressive

It gets hammered on in every buyer's guide. I have no idea if or when the belts on mine have been done, even though both PO's claimed to have done it recently. In my case if I blow up a GL1100 motor I won't shed too many tears, but I doubt I'd be able to sell either of them if the belts aren't fresh. And yeah if I get a GL1500 I really don't have room for 3 of these pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So goldwing cambelts are like Ducati ones in that low information boomers obsess over them when in reality they're easy to do and never go wrong?