Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"Whatever happened to youth being rebellious?" He asks, unaware that the youth are rebelling and it's against his beliefs. How unbelievably moronic.

When I went there in the 90s, U of C was ranked 300th out of the top 300 party schools in the country. It's a weird place anyway (undergrads were absolutely dwarfed by grad students) and we were all a bunch of awkward nerds. I can't imagine it's gotten a LOT better since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1538888066856718337

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and he is slightly up in a lot of the primary polls

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

"Whatever happened to youth being rebellious?" He asks, unaware that the youth are rebelling and it's against his beliefs. How unbelievably moronic.

He wants them to rebel by supporting the status quo, not upending it. So when a professor says everyone still needs to wear masks in his class, this parasitic twin of Charlie Kirk gets outraged that everyone goes along with it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Panfilo posted:

He wants them to rebel by supporting the status quo, not upending it. So when a professor says everyone still needs to wear masks in his class, this parasitic twin of Charlie Kirk gets outraged that everyone goes along with it.

Oh, I know what he means. I just can't believe "follow the authoritarians" is being spun as rebellious. It's unbelievably stupid, even for conservatives.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oh, I know what he means. I just can't believe "follow the authoritarians" is being spun as rebellious. It's unbelievably stupid, even for conservatives.
Oh but don't you know stodgy old white guy conservatives is Punk

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Just ask known hip young person, MTV's Kennedy!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Some months ago, I heard some Fox blonde decry today’s youths for being unwilling to do a new Boston Tea Party, which is a fun thing to hear after they cheered the violence meted out against the “looters” protesting the most well-funded police state in human history.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Let's not forget that once Ben Shapiro was the hip young face of the conservative revolution against the liberal straights

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrUnderbridge posted:

Just ask known hip young person, MTV's Kennedy!

Age 49

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a new tea party huh?

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

PhazonLink posted:

a new tea party huh?

more like a low T party

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Let's not forget that Ben Shaprio's dad once told everyone that Ben Shapiro was the hip young face of the conservative revolution against the liberal straights

fixed for accuracy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guy I do some work for going off today about "drag queens" being brought into schools and rolling around on the floor or some poo poo. I wasn't having it and politely told him to vet anything he reads on the internet. Anyone know wtf he's taking about?

Not sure where he got it from and I'm gonna look it up but my first thought was it was bullshit and my second thought was I was certain it was exaggerated and my third was so what? Did they shoot anybody while cops stood around doing nothing? I bet my kid would honestly find that entertaining actually but then I thought, oh poo poo, what if it turns him gay and awakens the homosexual in him?

That's even worse than learning about race relations in American history!

*jackoff motion*

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Guy I do some work for going off today about "drag queens" being brought into schools and rolling around on the floor or some poo poo. I wasn't having it and politely told him to vet anything he reads on the internet. Anyone know wtf he's taking about?

Not sure where he got it from and I'm gonna look it up but my first thought was it was bullshit and my second thought was I was certain it was exaggerated and my third was so what? Did they shoot anybody while cops stood around doing nothing? I bet my kid would honestly find that entertaining actually but then I thought, oh poo poo, what if it turns him gay and awakens the homosexual in him?

*jackoff motion*

The guy who made the CRT panic a thing? Yeah, he's trying to do that with Drag now.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1537807543895998464?s=20&t=Gw4CwdalLkuXpszQymk-FA

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

That thread is certainly something. Guy clearly spends a lot of time huffing his own farts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^I don't get it but knew there was some bullshit being spread by somebody in RWM circles. I just didn't feel like going to look for it^^^^

Also, this is what decades of consuming RWM does to you

cross post

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-ivanka-trump-biden-voting-elections-1ccfd89df6868911d934529b9e47d6c8

quote:

One by one, several of Donald Trump’s former top advisers have told a special House committee investigating his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection that they didn’t believe his lies about the 2020 election, and that the former president knew he lost to Joe Biden.

But instead of convincing Trump’s most stalwart supporters, testimony from former attorney general Bill Barr and Trump’s daughter Ivanka about the election and the attack on the U.S. Capitol is prompting many of them to simply reassert their views that the former president was correct in his false claim of victory.

Barr’s testimony that Trump was repeatedly told there was no election fraud? He was paid off by a voting machine company, according to one false claim that went viral this week. Ivanka Trump saying she didn’t believe Trump either? It’s all part of Trump’s grand plan to confuse his enemies and save America.

The claims again demonstrate how deeply rooted Trump’s false narrative about the election has become.

“It’s cognitive dissonance,” said Jennifer Stromer-Galley, a Syracuse University professor who has studied how Trump used social media and advertising to mobilize his base. “If you believe what Trump says, and now Bill Barr and Trump’s own daughter are saying these other things, it creates a crack, and people have to fill it.”
^^^I don't get it^^^

Following his testimony, many Trump supporters using sites like Reddit, GETTR and Telegram blasted Barr as a turncoat and noted that he’s disputed Trump’s election claims before.

But many others began grasping for alternative explanations for this testimony.

“I’m still hoping Barr is playing a role,” one poster said on a Telegram channel popular with Trump supporters.

One post that spread widely this week suggested Barr was paid by Dominion Voting Systems, a company targeted by Trump and his supporters with baseless claims of vote rigging. “From 2009 to 2018, DOMINION PAID BARR $1.2 million in cash and granted him another $1.1 million in stock awards, according to SEC filings. (No wonder Barr can’t find any voter fraud!),” the post read.

Wrong Dominion. Barr was paid by Dominion Energy, a publicly traded company headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, that provides power and heat to customers in several mid-Atlantic states.

Some Trump supporters dismissed Ivanka Trump’s testimony entirely by questioning whether any of it was real. That’s another common refrain seen on far-right message boards. Many posters say they don’t even believe the hearings are happening, but are a Hollywood production starring stand-ins for the former president’s daughter and others.

“She looks different in a big way,” one poster asked on Telegram. “CGI?”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its all done with clones.

Bill gates isnt growing hamburgers in his peach tree dishes.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

*jackoff motion*

The kernel of truth to this nonsense is that some libraries sometimes have "Drag Queen Story Hour" where "drag queens" come in and read books to children. Some people get twisted up about that and the "think of the children" people use it as an anchor for their 'homosexual indoctrination' bullshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some Proud Boys intimidated one such event and caused it to be shut down due to safety concerns.

Nothing says protecting children like making them cry while yelling "FUKKIN TRA***" while livestreaming to 4chan.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

*jackoff motion*
Several things:
"Drag Queen Story Hour" in libraries had been going on for a while, and had been used as a boogeyman for a while too. But this was largely isolated as a local issue, with some local right wing group trying to shut down such events in their own communities. Chances are the organizers of such protest groups are certainly at the vanguard of the protest movement now, since they were on the ground floor of harassing drag queens in libraries. It didn't help that a few of the drag queens involved in these library events were in fact sex offenders unfortunately.

There has been also some right wing hysteria over school events that do not require parent consent to participate. This is very important to their narrative, because otherwise their concerns can be dismissed as a "live and let live" approach.

Then there's footage of supposed drag queen strippers being handed money by kids. Given that the country is a big place, it probably isn't hard for them to find a few context absent clips of a toddler stuffing a fiver in some performer's fake cleavage.

So creeps like Rufo combine these things to create a narrative that impressionable children are being exposed to inappropriate behavior without the parent's consent, and work to get ahead of "this is just Mrs Doubtfire" by having the most shock value ten second clips, and insisting they are equally opposed to taking your toddler to Hooters as well. Combined by the sex offenders they also dig up who happened to be part of drag performances or school faculty they can generate this pearl clutching notion of sex creeps trying to normalize degenerate behavior in order to groom and abuse children.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"Drag Queen Story Hour" arent new and have been a thing in some places for years or even decades.

Though the propaganda machine attack on them is new. For reference, the earliest attack on them is gently caress face Chowder or Walsh saying how they got banned from the local library when they made a stink about some event. iirc this was during the Obama admin. Also the event wasnt even a drag event and was just a male co-work(probably cis-het) subbing in for a female co-work and putting on a dress for story time. literally just a event like a dad putting on a dress for his kids tea time energy.

Oh and then the fuckface tried to tie in some libertarian poo poo about libraries are stupid and arent needed when the internet exists or some other dumb poo poo.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
It's terrific that they want to read to kids, but if it's conditional on them wearing a dress then it kind of gives the impression that reading to kids is secondary to having them validate your hobby. But that's hardly exclusive to a few drag queens, right-wingers are constantly using their kids as props to validate their own identity because they can use their naiveté and dependency as an avenue for their own self-worth. Which is why the pledge of allegiance is mandatory from preschool. It's always projection.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The pledge of allegiance is not mandatory, there are numerous court cases affirming the right to not do it. And it's not even universal within the US anyway; while I don't doubt some state or other has made it a law it's mostly left up to the schools themselves. I've never attended a school that did it and frankly that sounds creepy.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 21, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, it's more of an effort to show kids that people come from all walks of life?
It's like if the local firefighters did a monthly read to kids in their little hats and jumpers.

Also that whole thing about kids seeing people and finding commonality in them that they do. Little weirdos.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 21, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As much as I know the Daily Show with Jon Stewart hasn't aged well, I vaguely remember some kid who got a focus on the show because he wouldn't stand for the Pledge of Allegiance until all Americans were equal, with the show reporting on how while no one was forcing him and lost every case to do so, the kid had a ton of people coming after him like he was the second coming of Osama Bin Laden or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fire fighter reading time during the libraries last hour of the night/evening and continued at someones else place.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When they did that long-rear end supermarathon of Daily Shows it was very, very apparent t how long it took after 9/11 for the vibe to change and be even slightly critical of the Bush administration.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i didn't do the pledge after bush got elected and nobody put me on tv :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BigglesSWE posted:

My historian-brain is firing off all kinds of synapses over this.

The gently caress does “preserving democracy” mean? In what context? According to who? How do you quantify “preserving democracy”? In comparison to what/who (I mean I guess the study might make that clear but come the gently caress on).

As someone who got put through the ringer a bunch of time over lacklustre hypotheses construction this shot triggers me big time. If you gonna do lazy rear end poo poo takes to appease your media sphere then at least do it right. F- see me after class.

I think they could mean a couple of things by "preserving democracy." The biggest and most obvious one to me is that of course this is a Fox News poll and despite far right sites saying that Fox News is liberal now, Fox News's biggest audience is going to be right wingers. With so many right wingers believing that there was massive voter fraud in the 2020 election, the obvious interpretation is "Democrats are committing voter fraud, which is anti-democratic. Republicans are passing laws to stop Democrat voting fraud, thus preserving democracy."

Another thing they could mean, although I think this is far less likely, is that Republicans massively benefit from the electoral college. Some people want to get rid of the electoral college and have a straight popular vote for president. This will basically never happen, and no Democratic politicians have ever seriously proposed it, but that doesn't matter to right wingers. So the idea is that Democrats will abolish the electoral college which of course the Holy Founders decreed was the best system in the world, therefore making it the most democratic, or something. Republicans will preserve democracy by never proposing to abolish the electoral college (of course, they absolutely would abolish it if it ever started favoring Democrats, but it never will). Again, I don't think this is what the people polled are thinking, I'm like 99% sure it's about "voter fraud," but I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a few hundred people who are also thinking about the electoral college in that claim.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Colberts monologue on what happened with his people at the capitol that RWM like Fox is going bonkers over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hri8Tr3Om_g

Tucker Carlsons take on it which is, frankly, far too stupid to read.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-capitol-breach-stephen-colbert-foreshadowed-coup

Hatedad
Dec 2, 2020

Clarste posted:

The pledge of allegiance is not mandatory, there are numerous court cases affirming the right to not do it. And it's not even universal within the US anyway; while I don't doubt some state or other has made it a law it's mostly left up to the schools themselves. I've never attended a school that did it and frankly that sounds creepy.

mileage may vary. when I was in school taking the pledge is as mandatory as closing your eyes during prayer. yeah, you can just not do it, but people will act like you just ascended up to heaven and personally murdered God

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, "not mandatory" just means in the legal sense: you could sue the school if they tried to punish you for it. There's not much to be done about the social consequences, but yeah, that varies from region to region.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So I don't know who this guy is I heard this morning - Plant, I think? Doesn't matter.

Some jarhead called in and suggested that the (right leaning) states use the power of states' rights to enforce laws and override the federal ones. Of course this was and open carry firearms law because the caller was getting sick and tired of having to disassemble his gun every time he drove through Maryland and suggested that in, say, West Virginia, your Maryland driver's license should be deemed invalid and you can't drive there now because states' rights. Which was stupid enough but the host said...:

"Unlike firearms, the right to drive isn't mentioned anywhere in the constitution" so that sounded like a smart idea to him.

Motherfucker, CARS hadn't been INVENTED when the constitution was drafted, you god damned dishonest moron. This is considered serious minded RWM discourse and deemed totally logical.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hatedad posted:

mileage may vary. when I was in school taking the pledge is as mandatory as closing your eyes during prayer. yeah, you can just not do it, but people will act like you just ascended up to heaven and personally murdered God

For my school it was that you had to stand, but you didn't have to say it. After a brief flirt with "america's the best" after 9/11, I stopped saying it and nobody said anything to me unless I didn't stand. I grew up in Massachusetts, though, so YMMV.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Grew up in Missouri and stopped saying it in seventh grade. Cited the Second Commandment and no one ever questioned it again.

Edit: There were two or three Jehovah's Witnesses in my class so it wasn't an unheard of argument or anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Somehow I'd never heard of Gutfeld! and it's weird attempt to do a right wing version of Stephen Colbert but, deal lord, it's awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78XhY2EhrA

I'm exposed to far less FOX News poo poo since I cancelled cable and got divorced but is this supposed to be funny?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My 92 year old grandmother loves Gutfield, and Hannity and Tucker. They tell her what she wants to hear and she's never known what comedy is. Though her favorites are Larry Kudlow and Mark Levin. Kudlow cant stop talking about economy bad Trump good and Levin's entire shtick is figuring out various ways to say 'chinese communist democrats' and writing new books based around those cold war brain worms.

This is a lady whose prefered form of music is crooners and who couldn't possibly wrap her head around why BLM was ever a thing. Who randomly says stuff like 'you know I don't think I'd be okay with you or your sister marrying a black.' She thought bitcoins where physical coins up until yesterday, like gold coins. Every single time I've seen her watching a movie it's a scene of a black and white film with a dude with a cigar in one hand and a whiskey in the other heavily berating a young woman for her hysterics.

That's Gutfield's audience.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

My 92 year old grandmother loves Gutfield, and Hannity and Tucker. They tell her what she wants to hear and she's never known what comedy is. Though her favorites are Larry Kudlow and Mark Levin. Kudlow cant stop talking about economy bad Trump good and Levin's entire shtick is figuring out various ways to say 'chinese communist democrats' and writing new books based around those cold war brain worms.

This is a lady whose prefered form of music is crooners and who couldn't possibly wrap her head around why BLM was ever a thing. Who randomly says stuff like 'you know I don't think I'd be okay with you or your sister marrying a black.' She thought bitcoins where physical coins up until yesterday, like gold coins. Every single time I've seen her watching a movie it's a scene of a black and white film with a dude with a cigar in one hand and a whiskey in the other heavily berating a young woman for her hysterics.

That's Gutfield's audience.

That was just rough. I don't even mind taking shots at liberals but at least be be funny about it. And your grandma is allowed to like what she likes but it isn't funny. I'm cool with Sinatra or Tony Bennett and the Marx Brothers.

Speaking of that, my grandma used to give me poo poo about not appreciating her tastes while loving with me about mine but, to a man, I always knew more about hers than she knew about mine and could cite more about Glen Miller Orchestra, Ed Sullivan, Carol Burnette, Sammy Davis, Nat King Cole, Humphrey Bogart or Roy Clark than she could about Prince, Led Zeppelin, Jane's Addiction or George Clinton. I used to surprise her when I could talk about a Bette Davis, Hitchcock, Orsen Wells or Joan Crawford movie with aplomb, offer informed opinions about LBJ or JFK and new who Andy Williams or Bobby Gentry were.

Same with my mom about Lucille Ball or Andy Griffith.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Right, the point was she stopped developing in the 50s and thats the mentality of that audience.