Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah ill take the current weather forever over a single 85+ degree day.

Yeah, and I haven’t even really needed to water.

The big change I made this year was buying some material for a row cover and it let me move almost everything outside by mid-late April. So the tomatoes started at a foot tall. By the time all the hot peppers were in they were 9 inches tall and had stems as thick as a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Paradoxish posted:

Possibly weird question, but do birds typically dig 6" deep holes that tunnel down at an angle?

Something has been digging in and around my garden lately, making 3-4 holes per day. The holes are 1-2" in diameter and go down at an angle like something a burrowing animal would make, but they're never more than 4-6" deep and don't lead into any kind of tunnel. Whatever's doing the digging clearly isn't interested in the plants since the only damage they've caused is incidental, but I'd still like to know what's doing it.

The garden area is locked up like fort knox so if something was getting over or under the fence I'd expect to find at least some evidence aside from random holes. At the same time, I've never seen bird damage like this before. Usually the birds around here leave pretty messy craters when they go digging, not these weird little dead-end tunnels.
Could be a skunk, they snoot into the ground to eat beetle larvae.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I had the same holes around my leeks until I killed a cottontail rabbit and they immediately stopped appearing...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

Possibly weird question, but do birds typically dig 6" deep holes that tunnel down at an angle?

Something has been digging in and around my garden lately, making 3-4 holes per day. The holes are 1-2" in diameter and go down at an angle like something a burrowing animal would make, but they're never more than 4-6" deep and don't lead into any kind of tunnel. Whatever's doing the digging clearly isn't interested in the plants since the only damage they've caused is incidental, but I'd still like to know what's doing it.

The garden area is locked up like fort knox so if something was getting over or under the fence I'd expect to find at least some evidence aside from random holes. At the same time, I've never seen bird damage like this before. Usually the birds around here leave pretty messy craters when they go digging, not these weird little dead-end tunnels.

Chipmunks do that here. Usually burying birdseed we put out because a bunch of seedlings crop up before long.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
My cucumbers have been overachievers this year, we’ve gotten 10 in the last week. Our vegetable drawer is running out of space so made 3 quarts of refrigerator pickles. That was my last 3 mason jars so now I have to buy more. The other cucumbers were hoping to make lacto-fermented pickles with.

This has been a huge year for our fruit vines. Last year we got probably 7 gallons of grapes and looking to double that this year. Our blackberries are loaded, and the plant is still pushing out more fruit. I’m astounded at how much one blackberry bush has made.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Thanks for advice. I'm thinking chipmunk or squirrel is the most likely culprit. The squirrels around here mostly seem uninterested in the garden, but I see chipmunks occasionally roaming around the perimeter. They're also two animals that can easily get past the fencing so it would make sense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone ever used Sluggo or another slug/snail controller? I don't care if they're on basically everything else in the yard (they are), but I want to keep them off my cucumbers and eggplants. I was just out and had to pull off 6 snails and it looks like I stepped on a slug convention out there. So that means there are definitely more of them. I'm alright with looking like a crazy out there with a flashlight, but I don't want to need to do it all summer long.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I'm using sluggo constantly here in Oregon with this wet rear end spring. Seems to help some. Gotta reapply frequently until the plants get established. I've heard that it can hurt earthworms too if they're in short supply for you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've applied Sluggo frequently and incautiously to raised beds because hooooo-ly poo poo do we get slugs round our way, and it seems to work fairly well and I've never noticed any problems with the earthworm population.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
obligatory

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I dump insane amounts of sluggo plus out every year and, yeah, anecdotally I would say it works incredibly well. We had slugs doing pretty significant damage at the beginning of the spring and within a week of getting those little pellets on the ground the problem was gone.

We have crazy numbers of earthworms in our beds too so it doesn't really seem to be affecting them much if at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Perfect. We get the big rear end 4-8 inch long ones and they need to stay out of the raised beds. I’m already not growing carrots and radishes this year because of how much damage they took last year. I’m just going to pick some up today then.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jhet posted:

Perfect. We get the big rear end 4-8 inch long ones and they need to stay out of the raised beds. I’m already not growing carrots and radishes this year because of how much damage they took last year. I’m just going to pick some up today then.

The native Pacific Banana slug? They're not usually reported as a garden pest. Bit unnerving to have them passing through your raised beds though. The little black European Garden slugs otoh need to diaf.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I don't think I'll be growing Cabbage or Broccoli next year. The few I grew just get wiped out by cabbage moth despite coverings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't find row covers to be enough.

If you want to try again you need to keep them loaded up with bt. It works.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

The native Pacific Banana slug? They're not usually reported as a garden pest. Bit unnerving to have them passing through your raised beds though. The little black European Garden slugs otoh need to diaf.

Yeah, not the Pacific Banana Slugs thankfully. I only ever see those on trees and in wooded areas. I think my long ones are Leopard Slugs and would be invasive, but I didn't stop to ask as they were meeting my shears. They didn't look like the European slugs I was used to seeing elsewhere.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jabronie posted:

I don't think I'll be growing Cabbage or Broccoli next year. The few I grew just get wiped out by cabbage moth despite coverings.

Yeah I gave up trying brussel sprouts for the same reason.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Motronic posted:

I always endorse BT as well but drat everything is getting expensive. I used to have BT and Spinosad on Amazon's subscribe and save for years but here recently it keeps getting cancelled.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Jabronie posted:

Motronic posted:

Yeah, you absolutely need BT if you want to grow brassicas in an area with a lot of cabbage moths. It's not optional unless you have an insane amount of space and can just sacrifice a ton of your crops. Even that won't work long term because eventually they'll outbreed whatever you can grow.

Oddly enough we found that the cabbage moths really went for our kohlrabi this year instead of the cabbages. Made it fairly easy to deal with the problem.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I bought one last blueberry bush for the sake of cross-pollinating with Pinko Commie. It's a Florida Rose (from One Green World this time), which will also produce pink berries, lmao

I'm not sure how to handle the stapled part. Should I leave it or was it stapled for the sake of shipping?

I've also been germinating seeds and although the habañada was the first to sprout, the cucumber basically shot out of that seed and is ready to play.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, no, that stake is just there for shipping; you don't stake bushes. In fact, it turns out that staking trees is bad for them: they need to be exposed to wind motions to develop strong trunks. If you stake a tree long-term, it's going to have a weaker trunk.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/to-stake-or-not-to-stake

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'd just like to formally offer my annual suggestion that whatever part of evolution or creation or loving whatever lead to the existence of deer flies can gently caress right off and die painfully forever. What an awful, useless, lovely creature. It is amazing how much one small bug can just crush your interest, as a pale white dude with a shaved head, in spending any amount of time outside. We debate every year putting up a tanglefoot trap like the local horse farms use but I always worry about hurting local birds - there are so many feral cats on our road at this point that we barely have any native birds left at all.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Deer fly solution starting at 5:40

https://youtu.be/BZ62JZF6VZA

I haven’t tried it myself but it looks really effective.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You still see the random guy on a tractor out here with the blue Solo cup hat trap on. I keep meaning to put a few on the truck's mirrors but yeah, that's about the only way to stop those bastards. His is not nearly as cartoonish as the Solo cup option though, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I walked around the front of the house to check on our water conditioner earlier, maybe a couple hundred yards, and got bit to the point of lightly bleeding. They're particularly annoying because you have no warning, they just immediately bite. It's like getting shot with a drat BB gun. If I'm going to be out for a while I'll always grab a permethrin treated hat and/or Buff but drat, I was only outside for a few minutes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's brutal. I complain about our mosquitoes a lot, but at least they're painless. This year I finally made a permethrin "garden suit," but its effectiveness is TBD. At first I just treated a hat, t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. It didn't do anything because they just swarmed my ankles. I treated some pants last night, so maybe that'll help. I'm not seeing the deterrent effect that people talk about though.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Which spray did you use? Asking for professional purposes. We offer an aerosol permethrin similar to Sawyer but the efficacy on both is not nearly where the permanent treatment options are and both tend to wash out even in residential washers pretty quickly.

Edit: Also keep an eye on picaridin products that are starting to come back around, it's also a pretty old synthetic insecticide but is starting to pop back up. We've seen pretty strong results from it particularly with socks if anyone is in heavy tick territories.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 22, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sawyer. This is my first try with treated clothing, so I can't compare to the pre-treated or other brands. I'm going to keep experimenting though.

I use picaridin wipes when I hike, but that's rarely in a place as insect-infected as my back yard.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've had a miserable time getting pepper seeds to germinate and thrive. It's probably too late in the season (zone 5a) to try starting another batch, isn't it?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

captkirk posted:

I've had a miserable time getting pepper seeds to germinate and thrive. It's probably too late in the season (zone 5a) to try starting another batch, isn't it?

It’s okay to go to the store and buy a plant with a head start. Depending on the variety of pepper and your weather you’ll probably want it to be larger by now. Bell peppers, jalapeños, habanero, and thai pepper plants should be easy enough to find, but it’s still June so you may find some super hots that have been sitting there for a month.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Speaking of peppers, my Thai birds are doing this weird thing that I haven't seen before, where they're staying super low and are spreading out like crazy, and they're producing like mad:

That's one Thai bird that's spread out to cover like a 2'x2' square in a raised bed, but it's not more than 8"-10" tall at any point.

Wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that we had a lot of cold weather in early spring (these guys went in a couple weeks later than we usually put peppers in, because it was getting into the 30s at night until April), and now we're getting triple digit temperatures on the regular (you can tell that the leaves are looking wilty there; it was 104 F/40 C when the photo was taken).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

Speaking of peppers, my Thai birds are doing this weird thing that I haven't seen before, where they're staying super low and are spreading out like crazy, and they're producing like mad:

That's one Thai bird that's spread out to cover like a 2'x2' square in a raised bed, but it's not more than 8"-10" tall at any point.

Wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that we had a lot of cold weather in early spring (these guys went in a couple weeks later than we usually put peppers in, because it was getting into the 30s at night until April), and now we're getting triple digit temperatures on the regular (you can tell that the leaves are looking wilty there; it was 104 F/40 C when the photo was taken).

That's an interesting one. Normally if they spread out horizontally they grow as a bush and are taller, but that one just looks like it needs some water and nothing else. You could try topping some of the branches and see if it'll start growing taller? Or maybe this is how it responded to getting topped and the cold? Honestly, I've never seen it before either and we had a really cold late spring last year and nothing grew strangely. We're still sort of cold again, but the peppers are bushing out like normal.

We finally settled on a greenhouse, so next spring it will of course be warm.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

It’s okay to go to the store and buy a plant with a head start. Depending on the variety of pepper and your weather you’ll probably want it to be larger by now. Bell peppers, jalapeños, habanero, and thai pepper plants should be easy enough to find, but it’s still June so you may find some super hots that have been sitting there for a month.

Oh I already planted a couple nursery starts of more typical varieties.

We will see if I can get the couple of shishito plants I started can make it to producing fruit. They're still pretty small so I'm guessing they won't make it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

captkirk posted:

Oh I already planted a couple nursery starts of more typical varieties.

We will see if I can get the couple of shishito plants I started can make it to producing fruit. They're still pretty small so I'm guessing they won't make it.

Yeah, it’s one of those things where unless they’re ~90 days or less varieties you’re not going to get much out of them unless you have ideal growing weather for the rest of the summer. Even the 60-75 day ones are going to struggle if you’re starting from seed right now.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

mischief posted:

I'd just like to formally offer my annual suggestion that whatever part of evolution or creation or loving whatever lead to the existence of deer flies can gently caress right off and die painfully forever.

How about a fez with a tassle that you swing around like a horse's tail to get the flies off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Bought a couple mushroom spore kits in the spring, a yellow oyster and wine cap.

Put the yellow oyster in old milk crates with straw and a couple of them just started fruiting:

I have a third milk crate that is still empty so far, but a couple weeks ago I did tear it mildly apart to verify there was mycelium growth, which there was, so it might have to just catch up a bit after they.

Nothing from the wine caps, planted in a wood chip substrate under my mulberry tree, but they're more a late season mushroom from my understanding.

The oysters will likely get me another bloom in fall if conditions are right and I don't let them dry out.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
Guys, wish me luck. I'm going to plant my tomatoes this week. Last year's planting was a disaster and I was pretty convinced any gardening success I had in the past was a fluke. I have my sunscreen and Bob Belcher garden hat and am ready to try again this summer.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Get them in good dirt, plant them as deep as you can, get them some good water and food to get past the shock, you'll be good to go! They're incredibly tough plants.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jhet posted:

That's an interesting one. Normally if they spread out horizontally they grow as a bush and are taller, but that one just looks like it needs some water and nothing else. You could try topping some of the branches and see if it'll start growing taller? Or maybe this is how it responded to getting topped and the cold? Honestly, I've never seen it before either and we had a really cold late spring last year and nothing grew strangely. We're still sort of cold again, but the peppers are bushing out like normal.
Yeah, it kinda looks like the thing that a lot of Solanoideae like to do, where they kinda sprawl by sending out big-rear end branches just above the level of the soil that make a sort of elbow bend, running horizontally before going vertical again. Always discover volunteer tomatillos that came up under like the basil or something, immediately did a right angle to run parallel to the ground, and then shoot up off to the side, where it's like where the gently caress did that tomatillo come from.

Never really seen a pepper plant do it to this extent before, though.

And pretty sure it's not the plant needing water, the wilty leaves were because of the heat. When that photo was taken a thermometer in the shade nearby was reading 104 F. A couple hours later just before dusk it was ~80 F and the same plant looked like:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
My neighbor has me thinking a lot about planting blueberries in the fall. Any recommendations for blueberries for zone 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

My neighbor has me thinking a lot about planting blueberries in the fall. Any recommendations for blueberries for zone 6?
It looks like you'll have your options in the Northern Highbush varieties! This is what the farmers almanac recommends (and where I got a ton of info from):

"Highbush (Vaccinium corymbosum): A six-foot shrub hardy from Zone 4 to Zone 7.
  • For withstanding cold winters, choose ‘Bluecrop’, ‘Blueray’, ‘Herbert’, ‘Jersey’, or ‘Meader’.
  • For big berries, choose ‘Berkeley’, ‘Bluecrop’, ‘Blueray’, ‘Coville’, ‘Darrow’, or ‘Herbert’.
  • For flavor, usually the main reason for growing your own fruit, choose ‘Blueray’, ‘Darrow’, ‘Herbert’, ‘Ivanhoe’, ‘Pioneer’, ‘Stanley’, or ‘Wareham’.
  • For something different, try ‘Pink Lemonade’, which produces bright pink blueberries!"

I don't know why they have Pink Lemonade listed here, because I'm led to believe it's actually a Rabbiteye, not Highbush. I got one anyways, (and got a Florida Rose, another pink variety, to cross-pollinate with it) but still.

If you want your blueberries to taste a certain way, or reach only a specific height, I can also recommend Bushel and Berry varieties. The two I got from them are supposed to produce fruit that tastes "tropical" (???) and the other, pineapple. The two bushes are also Highbush types, despite staying so short.

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 24, 2022