Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

texas is the second largest state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

Bigger gdp than Canada

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

e: sorry, not the place

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 22, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

….

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 22, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Pretty sure it is illegal for me to be in Texas now

An admirable attempt, but it targets the not-me transes as well

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ever had a gig where organizational inertia is so bad that even a production outage impacting thousands of customers is taking weeks to get resolved even when you provided the root cause including workaround and permanent fix?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Ever had a gig where organizational inertia is so bad that even a production outage impacting thousands of customers is taking weeks to get resolved even when you provided the root cause including workaround and permanent fix?

Aww. Welcome to the club. We meet Thursdays at the Applebees on walnut street.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I have a very risk adverse customer. Multiple times now, if they have a "break the system" bug, the customer will be pounding on the table to get the issue fixed, we will be up most of the night and spend 48 hrs pushing the vendor to create a custom patch. After 2 days of heavy lifting, we will present the patch to the customer, and the response will be, "ok great, we will tentatively schedule this for our monthly maintenance window 2 weeks from now, assuming it passes testing."

I get it, but they have a full lab set up. Put it in the lab, make sure it is good, and go. I just didn't think as a STEM major my main skill set would be performative drama.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My experience at Morgan Stanley was like that. We would hound the vendor for patches then have to run them through our lab / ixia which took days/weeks because we had to test all of our switch & SFP models (including cross-vendor connections), then present those results to all of the other engineering/operations teams during an all hands, and if it was okay'd by the quorum it could be handed over to ops for scheduling. I understood the caution but it wasn't really the way I like to work.

If one person had a valid reason to challenge your findings you had to go back to the lab, validate the concern, then wait the following week to present again.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 22, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

After 6 months I feel comfortable and safe enough in my new role to push poo poo like that through on my say-so, with support from my leadership.

That said I mostly deal with OT networks, and when they break it immediately affects a few hundred thousand people, so there's no time to gently caress around.

For planned work we have a CAB meeting every Tuesday, and any trackside work has to be approved, but that's usually nearly instant :v:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone used Dell Boomi? What do you think? Tips/tricks (besides don't)?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It wouldn't matter how good the product is, Dell gently caress up everything they touch if they're given enough time to do it.

Edit: Oh, they're now owned by Franciso Partners who also bought SonicWall, which is somehow even worse than Dell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crossposting from the cert thread is anyone is looking to explore Azure:

Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals is being held on July 13th and 14th this year.
If you attend both sessions (around 2.5hrs each) then they will give you a voucher to take the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals exam for free.

Register here: https://mktoevents.com/Microsoft+Event/345065/157-GQE-382?wt.mc_id=AID3048148_QSG_598223

They are also doing one for the SC-200 but I don't know much about that exam.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internal offer came through to shift to Cloud Architect position. $20k pay bump. No more direct reports.

I'm happy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I hate Boomi because it suffers from "Enterprise Tool Syndrome" where it can do everything but as a no-code tool that has to support everything it's just way too complicated. I think it's too complicated for a non-developer to use, and my experience (and this is shared by other developers in my org) is that it still has less capability than just writing some code, but because of the complexity in it, it's also harder than just writing some code.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we had informatica at my old job and it has the same problem

however, my cio was completely bought in to the ecosystem and every time I tried to do something in python I'd get crazy push back

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

Internal offer came through to shift to Cloud Architect position. $20k pay bump. No more direct reports.

I'm happy.

:hfive:

Congrats! What cloud?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the one that poops!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

couldn't resist, sorry

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Fool posted:

we had informatica at my old job and it has the same problem

however, my cio was completely bought in to the ecosystem and every time I tried to do something in python I'd get crazy push back

The Informatica admins at my job have always been the most confused, inept, finger-pointing cretins in all of IT. Somehow this has persisted for over a decade, three managers over that team, and complete turnover of the personnel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

Congrats! What cloud?

Azure.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Oh sorry

E: I should clarify before I start something as usual. Azure is easily the most put together cloud where everything seems to work well with everything else. They actually had a design for it. I just hate the cli.

Aws is just a cobblestone of poo poo with nothing but strings holding them together.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 23, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Btw I saw a easily 160 pound boar last night and named him clam down but something spooked him and I didn’t get a shot off. I’ll be looking for him tonight. Nvgs rock

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

Oh sorry

E: I should clarify before I start something as usual. Azure is easily the most put together cloud where everything seems to work well with everything else. They actually had a design for it. I just hate the cli.

Aws is just a cobblestone of poo poo with nothing but strings holding them together.

this is your wrongest opinion ever

Azure is very well integrated and designed, but it’s their UI that’s so poo poo you need to use powershell to get anything out of it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

this is your wrongest opinion ever

Azure is very well integrated and designed, but it’s their UI that’s so poo poo you need to use powershell to get anything out of it.

Yes I said their cli. Forward slashes should be banned

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

80% of my interaction with azure is through terraform, 10% through the rest api, and 10% through the portal

the cli and az powershell are not on that list for a reason

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/06/22/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-25145/

Microsoft is integrating LAPS in windows 11, with some new features like "picking the password storage" and "password history". The storage picker is due to adding Azure AD support, which is currently gatekept to a handful of carefully chosen tenants.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

80% of my interaction with azure is through terraform, 10% through the rest api, and 10% through the portal

the cli and az powershell are not on that list for a reason

The rest APIs can legit be lovely to work with, once worked on a chatbot project where we had a bot make VMs based on stuff we said to it in chat and generating a loving token azure would actually accept was a total pain in the rear end. Az cli is fine if you get the interactive mode, autocomplete is easy mode. It’s also IME impossible to avoid if you’re doing lots of AKS and container registry. If you use powershell on azure please figure your loving life out though

jaegerx posted:

Oh sorry

Azure is also cobbled together poo poo the further you get into it

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My only real Azure experience is with the networking side and it seems like a lot of it is rushed/beta software. Their solutions to the problems of their previous solutions, like vWAN, still have dumb annoying problems. And features like Application Security Groups could've been implemented way better. They just straight up don't work if you have multiple regions, which almost everyone will because they push you towards that in their design guides.

i am a moron posted:

If you use powershell on azure please figure your loving life out though

I'm crying irl

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t even know why NSGs and ASGs exist you don’t need their ACLs slapped on top of software firewalls and regular firewalls and the other eight billion things that gently caress with traffic (actually I do that isn’t really true everywhere, they’re a total waste in enterprise land though imo). I deploy NSGs that allow everything so I can use traffic analytics though cause for some reason the only way to get good flow logs is via NSGs? Tshooting network stuff on azure sucks because the tools are bad and the networking piece is weird thanks for coming to my Ted talk

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/example-scenario/aks-firewall/aks-firewall

I’m working on this right now and I’m constantly like, are you loving serious Microsoft? gently caress your firewall and now we’re however many percentages into some big rear end redeployment of apps into azure and we’re probably stuck with this massive piece of poo poo that makes very normal cloud patterns an exercise in jackassery

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the part where you can't change your AKS node vm type without destroying the cluster in terraform, or use powershell to create a temporary system node pool, create the new right-sized node pool matching the terraform pool name, then delete the temp. Come on man

Edit: Azure networking is weird when you need to troubleshoot, I shouldn't have to click so many times to get a route table. Still less fucky than GCP imo but at least it's easy to diagnose in GCP.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 23, 2022

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

i am a moron posted:

I don’t even know why NSGs and ASGs exist you don’t need their ACLs slapped on top of software firewalls and regular firewalls and the other eight billion things that gently caress with traffic (actually I do that isn’t really true everywhere, they’re a total waste in enterprise land though imo). I deploy NSGs that allow everything so I can use traffic analytics though cause for some reason the only way to get good flow logs is via NSGs? Tshooting network stuff on azure sucks because the tools are bad and the networking piece is weird thanks for coming to my Ted talk

We're using them for microsegmentation because, even though I'd love to send everything through a firewall NVA, the amount it would cost us in vNet peering costs and NVA VMs would be insane. Sending it to another region via vWAN costs like 6x the price of a global vNet peering. The lovely active/passive NVA deployment some garbo MSP did for them before I started wouldn't even be able to cope with all the traffic they'd be putting through it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

We're using them for microsegmentation because, even though I'd love to send everything through a firewall NVA, the amount it would cost us in vNet peering costs and NVA VMs would be insane. Sending it to another region via vWAN costs like 6x the price of a global vNet peering. The lovely active/passive NVA deployment some garbo MSP did for them before I started wouldn't even be able to cope with all the traffic they'd be putting through it.

I would avoid NVA. We have the concept of it in AWS and GCP via a custom solution based on Aviatrix, and it's more trouble than it's worth. We're looking at service mesh right now which will allow us to decomission our NVA topology thankfully.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sepist posted:

I would avoid NVA. We have the concept of it in AWS and GCP via a custom solution based on Aviatrix, and it's more trouble than it's worth. We're looking at service mesh right now which will allow us to decomission our NVA topology thankfully.

All our internet facing web servers are on Windows/IIS. I've got to do some sort of threat prevention on inbound traffic somewhere.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Use app gateways screw old school firewalls

Edit: if they’re using IIS I gotta assume these aren’t high traffic things (god help you if they are). You can use app gateways with multiple apps depending on your setup and ingress volume

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Sepist posted:

I like the part where you can't change your AKS node vm type without destroying the cluster in terraform

This only applies to the system node pool and if you're doing lots in that you are doing it wrong.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Use app gateways screw old school firewalls

Edit: if they’re using IIS I gotta assume these aren’t high traffic things (god help you if they are). You can use app gateways with multiple apps depending on your setup and ingress volume

They're using Azure app proxies where it works. There's also some non-http internet facing stuff that doesn't work with app proxy or application gateway. Don't really want to have three different ways of doing things, I'm trying to simplify.

We also have thousands of people on Azure VPN so I need to do something about that too.

It's not a lot going through IIS but it's just lovely off the shelf HR apps and other assorted garbage. I don't trust any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea non HTTP traffic makes all the good recommendations impossible lol can’t use cloudflare or anything there I don’t think

Also 1000’s on azure vpn? That’s impressive ngl I’ve refused to even acknowledge the personal VPN even exists since like 2017