Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I'm a total tenderpilled hopecel. I'm basically going hyggemode and I'm giving glompcore vibes.

This hurt my brain to read but also I want this in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Well-Built City trilogy trilogy by Jeffrey Ford is on sale and more people should read those books; I can't think of any other fantasy that manages to combine the mundane, bizarre and dreamlike in quite this fashion.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

it wasn't Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (nothing else is), but overall it was a good read at a time when I was in the mood for a historical fantasy like that

That’s good enough for me! Strange and Norrell is a hard act to top, but having some of that flavour is a good recommendation for a book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

This hurt my brain to read but also I want this in my life

GB releasing something cozy and optimistic with "glompcore vibes" would be a preorder for me, ngl.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I'm a total tenderpilled hopecel. I'm basically going hyggemode and I'm giving glompcore vibes.

*finger reaches for the custom title button*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beachcomber posted:

What are some nice positive SF/fantasy that will leave me feeling pretty good about things overall?

In addition to Bridge of Birds, look up Lawrence Watt Evans, specifically The Misenchanted Sword and Ithanalin's Restoration

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

*finger reaches for the custom title button*

Do it, you coward

edit: sorry, I'm sorry, that wasn't very tenderpilled or whatever. do it, good friend

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

anilEhilated posted:

The Well-Built City trilogy trilogy by Jeffrey Ford is on sale and more people should read those books; I can't think of any other fantasy that manages to combine the mundane, bizarre and dreamlike in quite this fashion.

Bizarrely, the link for me (in the US, if that matters) leads to a page with the three books and no way to buy them, and the entire series is no longer listed as available except by third-party sellers. Unfortunate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is General Bautistas nom de pen

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zoux posted:

What is General Bautistas nom de pen

Seth Dickinson. I said, after glancing guiltily at my paperback copy of the first Baru book that I haven't read yet.

The UK cover is really nice though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

:bighow:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Seth Dickinson. I said, after glancing guiltily at my paperback copy of the first Baru book that I haven't read yet.

The UK cover is really nice though.

Oh wow I thought he was a self pubbed guy not like a legit author of a book I've heard of

e: hmmm his wikipedia page omits his SomethingAwful.com membership

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The ending of Baru 3: Falcresti Drift was the closest to hopeful and optimistic you've ever been, so I'm choosing to interpret this unironically.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Finally reading Baru I: The Phantom Menace and can see what the fuss is about

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Futurological Congress (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #3) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IGK68O/

Phule's Company (#1) by Robert Asprin - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6529CQ/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sailor Viy posted:

Just finished reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. I assume it won't be a surprise to this thread if I say it was excellent, but can I get recommendations of other single-author short story collections? Could be any brand of SF or fantasy, but what I really liked about this one was the way all the stories reflected a singular voice and set of themes, rather than just a grab bag of "here's some stuff I wrote".

The last one I read was Liu Cixin's The Wandering Earth and it was fab. Ken Liu is one of the translators. Curse 5.0 had me laughing out loud.

EDIT:

The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart is on sale for $1.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084FY6ST8/

Has anyone read this?

I'm intrigued by the premise in the blurb but put off by the cover quote from Sarah J. Maas, because the writing in Throne of Glass sample chapters was atrocious enough to make me DNF and resolve to never read any more SJM.

Leng fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 22, 2022

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Thanks for the short fiction recs, I am scribbling them down furiously.

Regarding Bridge of Birds, it is a childhood favourite of mine, but I recently read some comments online saying that it contains some rather unpleasant attitudes towards women. IIRC there is a scene where a character murders all of his wives and it's depicted as being cool/funny because, well, they were a bunch of bitches to him, really.

I haven't re-read it recently enough to judge for myself, but I thought it would be worth flagging if people are recommending it as "feel good" fiction.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

Oh god I smell toast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sailor Viy posted:

Thanks for the short fiction recs, I am scribbling them down furiously.

Regarding Bridge of Birds, it is a childhood favourite of mine, but I recently read some comments online saying that it contains some rather unpleasant attitudes towards women. IIRC there is a scene where a character murders all of his wives and it's depicted as being cool/funny because, well, they were a bunch of bitches to him, really.

I haven't re-read it recently enough to judge for myself, but I thought it would be worth flagging if people are recommending it as "feel good" fiction.

I'm pretty sure it was just the one wife, who was also planning a coup that would inaugurate her reign of blood over all of China.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just the one wife, who was also planning a coup that would inaugurate her reign of blood over all of China.

Yeah. The more on point critique would be that it's more than a little Orientalist but even there its clear the author is writing out of genuine love for Chinese mythology and the intent is positive

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 22, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

jesus christ even as a joke this hurts. fuckin hellwords.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
i am going to read Baru Cormorant and squee constantly, i'll hate every single squee, they'll escape my lips like Andy crawling up the pipe in Shawshank, but, with grim resolve, I will read your books and I will squee until you find some way to Eternal Sunshine those terrible words from my brain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Please uninstall/block twitter

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Please uninstall/block twitter
https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ClydeFrog posted:

Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah is extremely good
To get poo poo back on track, seconding this. It's something else, brutal and incisive, deeply unsubtle and unforgiving but always in an extremely motivated and clever way.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 22, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
OwO The Wuvable Baowo cowamont

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

OwO The Wuvable Baowo cowamont

thread title

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The ending of Baru 3: Falcresti Drift was the closest to hopeful and optimistic you've ever been, so I'm choosing to interpret this unironically.

I'm hoping the series continues with ever more awful labels for Baru. The Serial Killer Baru Cormorant?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Motherfucker Who Keeps Stealing My Food From The Fridge Even Though It's Clearly Labelled And On My Shelf Baru Cormorant

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The Motherfucker Who Keeps Stealing My Food From The Fridge Even Though It's Clearly Labelled And On My Shelf Baru Cormorant

Baru Cormorant and the Falcresti plum thief

Wait that's not right.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The General Really Loves It When We Roll Out This Meme Baru Cormorant

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

No one is ever going to beat whoever came up with Blindright for The Actually Sci-Fi Baru Cormorant .

Hel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 22, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Tedious Overdone Joke Baru Cormorant.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Joyless Joke-hater Bazza Cuzza

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sailor Viy posted:

Just finished reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. I assume it won't be a surprise to this thread if I say it was excellent, but can I get recommendations of other single-author short story collections? Could be any brand of SF or fantasy, but what I really liked about this one was the way all the stories reflected a singular voice and set of themes, rather than just a grab bag of "here's some stuff I wrote".

How Long 'til Black Future Month ? by NK Jemisin has some truly excellent short stories in it.

The Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith is worth a second recommendation, there's some really good stuff in here. Oddly Baen had most of his stuff in electronic editions, but no more. Weird.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

The Joyless Joke-hater Bazza Cuzza

The VP of Marketing Baru Cormorant

And now I need to actually order and read these books because despite needed to go into work today at 5:45 AM and thus getting enough sleep, I stayed awake reading Hench in one sitting. drat that book was good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Everyone posted:

The VP of Marketing Baru Cormorant

And now I need to actually order and read these books because despite needed to go into work today at 5:45 AM and thus getting enough sleep, I stayed awake reading Hench in one sitting. drat that book was good.

Yeah it owned so much lol. I burned through it in the same way. Man reading till I get sleepy has worked since I was a kid, but sometimes it really backfires.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the assassination of tain hu by the coward the ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Sailor Viy posted:

I read David Brin's Otherness last Christmas, it was quite good. A mix of short stories and essays (which I could take or leave, but the stories were worthwhile). I had this recurrent feeling of "Oh, that's where Peter Watts was coming from", though a good deal less nihilistic.