Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I.honestly thought we would get a complete rebuild set by now in 4k Atmos HDR but uh I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I.honestly thought we would get a complete rebuild set by now in 4k Atmos HDR but uh I guess not.

I doubt pressing a disc of 4 is a priority for Amazon and they may have done something silly like not license the optical media rights. I halfway expect some fanmade bootleg ISO to start circulating one of these months.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
imo bring back things like the Gurren Lagann torrent that had full rainbow karaoke lyrics and translation for the background music during dramatic scenes at the top of the screen, with simultaneous regular subtitles at the bottom

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fly me to the Moon on repeat.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Are the funimation rebuild blu rays still available for purchase or would I have to buy used to get their version? I tried to watch the ones available on Prime and it felt like Tiffany Grant was on Xanax.

Sent you a PM, but I have all three that I would happily send your way as I can't watch them anymore. Let me know.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

VROOM VROOM posted:

imo bring back things like the Gurren Lagann torrent that had full rainbow karaoke lyrics and translation for the background music during dramatic scenes at the top of the screen, with simultaneous regular subtitles at the bottom

That would be the Black Order subs but they're only the first half of the series. I still should put in the effort to keep them safely archived because they were hard to get back recently.

They are the best of any series ever and I wanted it to become a standard but alas. I think Plex basically killed styled subs by lack of support.

https://youtu.be/s65n0PmvIm4

I think the tooling for doing these is dead too.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 17, 2022

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-06-17/gkids-acquires-n-american-theatrical-home-video-rights-to-evangelion-3.0-1.01-film/.186768

And here's the news.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khara was really mad at Funimation!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Buncha control freaks. At least it's on physical media.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GKids is good so heck, I'm glad of this.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Midjack posted:

Khara was really mad at Funimation!

Maybe? Funimation also got acquired by Sony after the release of 3.33, and then the acquisition/merger with Crunchyroll went through in summer 2021. There could have been any number of political and negotiation complications due to that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh gently caress yes I am on board for my dumb 4k release of 4 movies costing like $200. My wallet is ready

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Oh gently caress yes I am on board for my dumb 4k release of 4 movies costing like $200. My wallet is ready

:same:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I decided to finally watch in full, actually paying attention and not half watching half doing something else on the computer, the Rebuild series. I had watched each movie when it was released/available to find online for the first time, but from that I can remember like nothing other then it was sorta different for a bit, then extremely different for the third movie including tons of super weird stuff like a space station coffin.

Rebuild 1.0

Is this a good movie if you don't have the context of the original series? On it's own the pacing seems insane for a good chunk of it. It keeps it up and seems like the focus was the build up to the diamond drill angel. That's where the movie takes it up to dramatic opera music piping out, elaborate cgi that was impossible in the mid 90s, and trying to sort of make important connections between the core cast.

The character bits seems almost exclusively Shinji with Misato, then some with him and Rei, and scattered other bits to build up the world lore. I can't remember the pacing/reveals from the series, but they went real hard real fast with the backstory, with Ikari dropping multiple references to things I thought were late reveals. Misato even takes Shinji to see the impaled Lilith to encourage him to fight, and that was supposed to be the secret that gets you killed if you find out in the show.

Past all that, it comes off as an anime mecha movie where there is clearly way more going on. Somehow there's tons more cross symbolism in the movie then I ever remember and the ever present sense that something just isn't right, from Unit 01's planned berserk state, Unit 0's similar breakdown, to random comments about brainwashing as an option. I think anyone watching it fresh to the franchise could pick up on that and understand the context as a whole. The end scene on the moon however is 100% clear there's some weird timeline/crossover/memory or something.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I love the rebuilds but I think they suffer the same problem every film that tries to compress 25 episodes into a couple of hours for a movie. It compresses too much, you lose a lot of the character development that happens over hundreds of minutes of the show. I could easily see someone being really confused if they've only seen the rebuilds.
(not that seeing NGE didn't make people say ".....WHAT!?")

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I love the rebuilds but I think they suffer the same problem every film that tries to compress 25 episodes into a couple of hours for a movie. It compresses too much, you lose a lot of the character development that happens over hundreds of minutes of the show. I could easily see someone being really confused if they've only seen the rebuilds.

It's like spaceballs. It's okay in a vacuum but infinitely better if you've seen what it references.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Fwiw I was sort of passingly familiar with the original series through cultural osmosis, as well as the definitive version which is the mega 64 versions, and I really enjoyed all the rebuild movies :shrug:

The first one definitely felt the longest though, where having more familiarity with the source material would've helped the most

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fwiw I was sort of passingly familiar with the original series through cultural osmosis, as well as the definitive version which is the mega 64 versions, and I really enjoyed all the rebuild movies :shrug:

The first one definitely felt the longest though, where having more familiarity with the source material would've helped the most

Yeah, the first rebuild is just a prettier, faster, and less interesting version of the first few episodes. The second one is abridged as well, but it changes up more to let the character interactions work in a more limited format, and it understands what's most important to its arc (Shinji and Rei's relationship) even if it means reducing other things from the show as a consequence (like Shinji and Asuka's relationship).

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

One, Mari needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Mari's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Mari?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

One, Mari needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Mari's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Mari?"

lol

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Paper Lion posted:

Isn't this actually why we have the rebuilds?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mari's a relatively minor presence considering she's a 0th Children or whatever

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Isn't this actually why we have the rebuilds?

Nah. It's an interesting process, if what I've read is right.

At first, the rebuilds were just Khara needing a guaranteed hit to get off the ground, so they started work on just running Evangelion using modern animation techniques in theaters, but as it went along, it started shifting to more of its own thing. Mari was going to be a bit player in film 2, basically just a new source of merch, but then the preview for 2 had people talking about the new glasses girl and wondering what her deal was, so she got an expanded part. (Figuring out what exactly her deal was took a lot of time and internal discussion.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Mari's a relatively minor presence considering she's a 0th Children or whatever

Is this explained later in Rebuild or is this some LN novella/audio drama level background reveal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

pentyne posted:

Is this explained later in Rebuild or is this some LN novella/audio drama level background reveal.

Sorry for the spoiler. The fourth film

reveals that Mari was one of Yui and Gendo's college buddies in a flashback. She was even the one who introduced them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

pentyne posted:

Its like not really explained at all lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait wait

on the shin ultraman wiki page

quote:

and Hideaki Anno as Ultraman.

is
is that
what

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

wait wait

on the shin ultraman wiki page

is
is that
what

Don't gently caress with me. I need this to be true.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean, he's done it before

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah he did some mocap. We don't know what but I guarantee he did the poses.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rebuild 2.22

I can't tell if it was planned or a response to the first movie being almost 100% melodrama but it strikes a completely different tone then the first movie for like 2/3rds of the run time up till the end. Way more wacky comedic parts that try to force in the relationships between the cast, but all that minor stuff still makes things like Toji and Kensuke seem completely unnecessary. I don't really think they have any impact on the story at all.

It definitely drops a ton of stuff that seems borderline unnecessary, like a Vatican treaty allowing each country 3 Evas max while only 5 to this point exist, and then you get all the random non Tokyo-3 stuff like another Nerv base getting nuked, the moon bases, US and Russia's Eva stuff etc. I don't clearly understand the start of the movie, like where it's located and how exactly they expected to imprison an angel.

The last 30 minutes are purestrain classic Eva insanity, and that post credits bump is equally nuts for how much it throws out in ~10 seconds as advertising the third movie. That's back when movie three was planning to be called Q I think? The history of these movies with the various cuts/recuts/teasers etc. could probably be an entire subject on its own.

Some notes about the movie based on my half remember knowledge of the series
- The Lost Key of Nebuchanezzar: Is this Adam, or something new?
- Was Shinji always a master cook? I don't remember the series but I thought that was one of those fan theory things
- During Misato's flashback you see a black moon, plus 4 white halo aliens with lances. Does this refer to the video game that is the sole source of the White Moon//Black Moon aliens that are the precursors to all of Eva
- The second movie goes hard on pairing up Rei and Shinji, way harder then I remember the show doing
- Mari in general and the Beast Mode 02 seem almost out of place feels like a vehicle to sell more Eva merch
- Since they have to speed run the entire pilot dynamic, all I can take away from the trio is

Shinji: runs away crying
Asuka: runs forward screaming
Rei: stands still confused until ordered to do something

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Paper Lion posted:

I support this unironically.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 2.22

- Was Shinji always a master cook? I don't remember the series but I thought that was one of those fan theory things

- Mari in general and the Beast Mode 02 seem almost out of place feels like a vehicle to sell more Eva merch

I want to say yes, Shinji has always been a cook of an order higher than really anyone around him. Mostly because he had to be, was I think the explanation in the manga version. He has mostly been on his own and that's the one thing he can do is feed himself and others (ties into why Rei really wants that dinner with him).

Yeah I think in 2.22 Mari, as far as thoughts about her role in the production anyway, is basically just there to move more merch. They slowly give her the impression of a larger role, but its never really given the time or weight to have a lot of presence until you get to the very end game. Even then as others have noted its really all implied speculation, the films don't really say much about Mari ever.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 22, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rebuild 3.33

What the gently caress?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 3.33

What the gently caress?

Correct

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 3.33

What the gently caress?

Ahh, but which part had the most confused WTF?

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

pentyne posted:

like a Vatican treaty allowing each country 3 Evas max while only 5 to this point exist

i think anno put that in there initially as a sort of retcon because he didn't want NERV to come across as a japan-only organization

especially since the anime focuses so heavily on the country it makes it seem like the third impact only ever happened there, which i felt was slightly lazy writing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 3.33

What the gently caress?

The fourth one cashes the checks the third one wrote, and you don't even have to wait nine years to see what happens!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
out of all the rebuilds, 3.33 is probably my favorite. just delightfully spiraling out into pure insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

out of all the rebuilds, 3.33 is probably my favorite. just delightfully spiraling out into pure insanity
It also has some of the best music (although I love a lot of tracks in 4) and the lyrics to the operatic English stuff are bonkers religious stuff and actually kinda relate to the plot.