Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you very much. I'll give it 7 days and then dose again properly. I don't think this dose will be enough to kill the mites off but hopefully it helps lessen them. Enjoy this video of the chicken in question on one of her better days.

https://streamable.com/xo01c3

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Trapick posted:

I need a gritty Terminator ripoff where the protagonist has one chance to send a message back in time to stop the paperclip maximizing AI from destroying everything and it just ends up as a parable no one heeds.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hooah posted:

Twice now the USPS website has said that we've got packages coming but they never arrive at the receiving post office. We haven't been able to correlate the tracking numbers with anything in my or my wife's emails, so it's not like we don't get a package we're expecting. What could be going on here?

Potentially obvious question, but are you sure you're actually at the USPS site? If you followed a link from an email, even if the sender looks legit, double and triple check the URL

If it's something like https://usps.package-track.com and not usps.com it's not legit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have hard floors, both tile and "wood look" laminate. I had gotten one of those Bona mops which comes with it's own proprietary solution, but I'm not interested in paying for that every time I run out of solution. Reading online it looks like the DIY option is warm water, and then a very small amount of distilled white vinegar and dish soap. thoughts?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

regulargonzalez posted:

Potentially obvious question, but are you sure you're actually at the USPS site? If you followed a link from an email, even if the sender looks legit, double and triple check the URL

If it's something like https://usps.package-track.com and not usps.com it's not legit

Yeah I'm using the USPS's Informed Delivery site.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Can anyone identify these chairs enough to say whether or not I'd be making a mistake throwing them into a Buy Nothing group or putting them on the side of the road?

They're hand-me-downs from my grandparents so they're certainly vintage 70s chairs (swivel bases, decent condition for their age, need some cleaning) but there's no brand names or marks or anything I can find, and I can find very little comparable online. What I DO find indicates it's a "maybe $40 each" situation, in which case, off they go. I just want to do a quick check to make sure they aren't secret hidden masterpieces or some nonsense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Where I live we get, like, two hot days a year. That's not enough to be worth installing and maintaining air conditioning in my house, but it's enough to be uncomfortable and to hurt my productivity when working from home. Obviously I have a fan running, but that only helps so much. What other options do I have for keeping cool that would be compatible with deskwork?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Where I live we get, like, two hot days a year. That's not enough to be worth installing and maintaining air conditioning in my house, but it's enough to be uncomfortable and to hurt my productivity when working from home. Obviously I have a fan running, but that only helps so much. What other options do I have for keeping cool that would be compatible with deskwork?

https://airchill.co/products/mini-ac

I'm a big fan, but ymmv, I've heard of some build quality issues, where some aren't as great as others.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
air conditioners work by moving heat from one place to another, usually from inside to outside. that's just a fan unless there's a spot for ice or the laws of thermodynamics have changed

e: oh it's a swamp cooler. you can probably make a more effective one for less, look for "5 gallon bucket swamp cooler"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

butt dickus posted:

air conditioners work by moving heat from one place to another, usually from inside to outside. that's just a fan unless there's a spot for ice or the laws of thermodynamics have changed

e: oh it's a swamp cooler. you can probably make a more effective one for less, look for "5 gallon bucket swamp cooler"

I wish I had done this, drat.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I used to freeze a few 500mL pop bottles overnight, wrap them in a kitchen towel and shove it near a major blood vessel. Not glamourous but it works.

Only works when your freezer is not in a place you want cool, because the heat has to go somewhere.

Swamp coolers work better the less humid the area is.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Boba Pearl posted:

https://airchill.co/products/mini-ac

I'm a big fan, but ymmv, I've heard of some build quality issues, where some aren't as great as others.

This guy is pretty good at this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2horH-IeurA

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Local humidity is 18%, so a swamp cooler should work great. Looks like this design is pretty straightforward. 5 gallon bucket, insulated liner, punch some holes for airflow, cut a hole in the lid for a small fan, stick some cold water in the liner. Seems simple enough, definitely easier than the other design I saw that involved pumping water into a foam liner and using the evaporation to cool air. Less efficient because I have to supply an actual chiller, but I have plenty of ice packs in the freezer.

I feel like you ought to be able to take advantage of the wicking effect to get water to evaporate efficiently without needing a pump...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Local humidity is 18%, so a swamp cooler should work great. Looks like this design is pretty straightforward. 5 gallon bucket, insulated liner, punch some holes for airflow, cut a hole in the lid for a small fan, stick some cold water in the liner. Seems simple enough, definitely easier than the other design I saw that involved pumping water into a foam liner and using the evaporation to cool air. Less efficient because I have to supply an actual chiller, but I have plenty of ice packs in the freezer.

I feel like you ought to be able to take advantage of the wicking effect to get water to evaporate efficiently without needing a pump...

That thing has very little surface area for evaporation.

You want a least some fabric with a submersible fountain pump sending water dripping onto it, or better yet, purpose‐built media.

That guy eventually realizes that, as you can see in his newer videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hhBLLHs9o

Or you could just buy the model that the above linked pad is a replacement part for

A note on maintenance: evaporation will concentrate minerals in the water, and they will precipitate onto the media, the tank, even the internals of the pump and hoses. If you’re running it for a weekend or whatever, you can just ignore it, but after weeks and months you’ll be building stalactites. You can slow this down by draining the water regularly and getting rid of the minerals that are enriched in it, and to get rid of buildup, you can use acid. Citric works and is sold for this purpose at major markup in tablets for descaling swamp coolers.

Evaporative coolers in permanent installations purposefully leak some fraction of water so that the minerals reach an equilibrium that is below the point at which serious precipitation happens.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 22, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How do I become a lobbyist/shareholder in climate tech/biotech? I want to help the global cause for adaptation/mitigation beyond mere activism.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OK, thanks...this is getting sufficiently involved that I do start to wonder if there's other avenues besides cooling the air in the house. Does anyone have recommendations for, like, wearable personal cooling devices or something? I mean, when it gets cold, it's a lot more efficient to warm my body than it is to warm the entire house. Presumably the same holds true in reverse.

Which isn't to say that cooling the air doesn't appeal. Certainly, I sleep better in a cooler bedroom, and I don't think I want to try to wear any kind of personal cooling device to bed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grouchio posted:

How do I become a lobbyist/shareholder in climate tech/biotech? I want to help the global cause for adaptation/mitigation beyond mere activism.

What is it exactly you are hoping to accomplish? Do you want to have a say in the way a biotech/climate tech organization runs its operation? Or do you want to just invest some money and hope to make a profit yourself? It kind of sounds like you want to be a Venture Capitalist?

Do you have a specific company/organization in mind?
If you are looking at a company just getting started, you have a better chance of getting in on the ground floor. You might be able to get some stake in the company for a few hundred to a few thousand $. That's just numbers out of my rear end though. Without knowing who or what you are looking at no real way to tell.

Do you have a bunch of money, lying around, doing nothing?

That's a big first step. If you don't have any real money to speak of you're likely not going to get any meaningful shares out of whatever company you are looking at.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

OK, thanks...this is getting sufficiently involved that I do start to wonder if there's other avenues besides cooling the air in the house. Does anyone have recommendations for, like, wearable personal cooling devices or something? I mean, when it gets cold, it's a lot more efficient to warm my body than it is to warm the entire house. Presumably the same holds true in reverse.

Which isn't to say that cooling the air doesn't appeal. Certainly, I sleep better in a cooler bedroom, and I don't think I want to try to wear any kind of personal cooling device to bed.

At the risk of stating the obvious, take cold showers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

At the risk of stating the obvious, take cold showers.

Ha, fair. I do do that, but I don't want to be hopping into the shower every 30 minutes, so I was hoping for something that would be longer-lasting and less intrusive to being able to focus on my work.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ha, fair. I do do that, but I don't want to be hopping into the shower every 30 minutes, so I was hoping for something that would be longer-lasting and less intrusive to being able to focus on my work.

Cold bath with ice in it and your laptop on a tray so you can just work nude in the bath.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

All anecdotal, but I read somewhere once that the body's thermostat regulator thing that determines if you're hot or not is in your neck and that a lifehack was to freeze a bottle of water and put it behind your neck when you're sitting in a chair or w/e. And in the mid 2000s when I drove across Nebraska in 100 degree heat with no A/C it did work, much better than I expected.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

If you are looking at a company just getting started, you have a better chance of getting in on the ground floor. You might be able to get some stake in the company for a few hundred to a few thousand $. That's just numbers out of my rear end though. Without knowing who or what you are looking at no real way to tell.

What is it exactly you are hoping to accomplish? - My primary objective is to help save the world by helping manage climate initiatives and responses through an ascending company. But now I'm no longer so certain that just helping a climate/biotech company is what I want.

Or do you want to just invest some money and hope to make a profit yourself? - That too, so I can afford a condo in a major city (Boston/Seattle/etc) if not abroad and be financially secure.

Do you want to have a say in the way a biotech/climate tech organization runs its operation? - If there was some sort of job involving the administration and resourcing of climate tech initatives and govt string-pulling - that would be what I was initially aspiring to - after the year 2020/Trump made me abandon a politics career for mental health reasons.

Do you have a bunch of money, lying around, doing nothing? - I have 50k in reserve as I continue jobfinding; i'd spend half as much as I earn each week/month at maximum.

Do you have a specific company/organization in mind? - That's what I'd like to know.

It kind of sounds like you want to be a Venture Capitalist? - Let's say perhaps I do, even though I know jack poo poo how it works. Where would I start learning about it, and what sort of jobs/job ladder should I look at? How many years would it take?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 22, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

All anecdotal, but I read somewhere once that the body's thermostat regulator thing that determines if you're hot or not is in your neck and that a lifehack was to freeze a bottle of water and put it behind your neck when you're sitting in a chair or w/e. And in the mid 2000s when I drove across Nebraska in 100 degree heat with no A/C it did work, much better than I expected.

It works, but it's not because of the body's thermostat being there. It's because your neck is filled with big giant blood vessels running close to the surface, and this makes it really good at exchanging heat. Same with the groin(femoral vessels) and the armpits(brachial vessels).

Your blood picks up heat from your body as it's pumped through it, then it dumps that heat into the icepack when it goes through your neck. Now the cooled blood is lower than your body temperature, so it picks up more heat from your body and the cycle continues until it's dumped so much heat into the icepack that it reaches equilibrium with you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It helps to limit the amount of heat actually coming in to your house in the first place.
So shade your windows by keeping the curtains/blinds closed during the day especially when direct sunlight is hitting them. Also keep all the windows closed during the day to stop hot air coming in and then open them up in the evening when the temp has dropped and try to get cross draughts blowing through the house to cool everything back down.
Long term, shading would be putting actual shades over the windows outside and/or planting trees and bushes around the house to provide shade.
To help cool yourself you can drape cold damp towels over yourself and also sleep under one at night.
As mentioned before cool showers and cool drinks help.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
If I put a guitar into storage that doesn’t have the bottom two strings (the bass strings) attached, is that a recipe for neck warping?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hey so does anyone remember a movie, where a distinctive scene is a man having bought the wrong pet food, putting it into the rich pet food jar or can, and pretending to the dog or cat that he opened the rich cat food?

I have no idea how to search this and this is all I have lmao

Carillon
May 9, 2014

alexandriao posted:

Hey so does anyone remember a movie, where a distinctive scene is a man having bought the wrong pet food, putting it into the rich pet food jar or can, and pretending to the dog or cat that he opened the rich cat food?

Are you thinking of the Long Goodbye, directed by Altman starring Elliott Gould? This is the scene I'm thinking of, starting at around 2 minutes if the timestamp doesn't work.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If I put a guitar into storage that doesn’t have the bottom two strings (the bass strings) attached, is that a recipe for neck warping?

Not if the remaining strings are loosened.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grouchio posted:

Do you have a specific company/organization in mind? - That's what I'd like to know.

Might check out the NRDC:

https://www.nrdc.org/careers

https://www.nrdc.org/node/55683

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am in the process of moving and I just found out today that my new home does not has a gas hook up for my dryer, which is only 2 years old. What's the best way to handle this? Do appliance stores have buy back programs? I'd gladly trade it in if they will come pick it up. I bought it from Lowe's, if that makes any difference.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Is there such a thing as a heat gun? Not, like, a flamethrower, but something closer to a comically high-powered hair dryer?

For more energy weapon goodness, check out Direct-Energy Weapons on Wikipedia.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tuyop posted:

For more energy weapon goodness, check out Direct-Energy Weapons on Wikipedia.
Mythbusters debunked that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkFjSa_r84&t=7s

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alexandriao posted:

That's an ad, though I can't remember what brand.

The convenience store is out of the brand, and I remember the Chinese convenience store owner says "plenty cat food, all the same", to convince the guy to buy another brand, which he does. Then he puts the old label on the new tin, opens it for the cat, and the cat isn't interested.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the cheapest way to shred up some leaves for composting? I bagged up all the dead leaves in my yard but they’re in pretty big pieces. We don’t really want to invest in an electric mulcher or shredder.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Vegetable posted:

What’s the cheapest way to shred up some leaves for composting? I bagged up all the dead leaves in my yard but they’re in pretty big pieces. We don’t really want to invest in an electric mulcher or shredder.
Lawnmower. Cheap if you already have one, anyway.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Trapick posted:

Lawnmower. Cheap if you already have one, anyway.

This. I used to do this exact thing and the process is, mow the yard once without the bag attached, then again with the bag attached. Fills the bag much more densely / more compactly than just going over it once, gets you really nice, small leaf pieces.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trickortreat posted:

I am in the process of moving and I just found out today that my new home does not has a gas hook up for my dryer, which is only 2 years old. What's the best way to handle this? Do appliance stores have buy back programs? I'd gladly trade it in if they will come pick it up. I bought it from Lowe's, if that makes any difference.

Sell on craigslist, or if that doesn't work, sell to a secondhand appliance store (probably for less)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there an easy way to export all the images from your texts on Android? Going through them manually to find pictures to save isn't really feasible.

I'm not looking to back up and restore the texts, just grab all the pictures at once.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Assuming super human strength, could I throw a spear so hard it carries me across a football field or like, how does that work physics wise? I guess if I had the arm strength to launch something, it'd take less energy to like handspring myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When you throw something, it has to apply an opposing force to your body, which goes to your feet and pushes backward on the earth. There's no way that both you and the spear would travel forward, unless you just jumped forward and simply held the spear.