Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything Everywhere does a lot of technically impressive stuff and visually looks great, whereas Hamilton is oatmeal mush for neolibs to clap at. It’s not a fair comparison at all.

I'm just talking about the energy of "this is resonating with people deeply and I have no idea why", I'm not comparing their actual artistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm just talking about the energy of "this is resonating with people deeply and I have no idea why", I'm not comparing their actual artistry.
The energy of "other people have the gall to like something I don't"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

precision posted:

wait, that soon??? :sickos:

Yeah, it caught me off guard too. I was worried that it might have been bad due to a lack of promotion, but some of the first reviews are coming in and they seem to be mostly positive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweeeeeet

I’ve been just watching hbo cable all week at this stupid hotel. The theme this week on hbo seems to be Tyler Perry dramas. There’s a couple madeas thrown in there too

the tone shift throughout these madea movies is striking. its half goofy comedy and then a stark changeover to serious SVU style cable drama, then it flips back to comedy the next scene lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 22, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Sweeeeeet

I’ve been just watching hbo cable all week at this stupid hotel. The theme this week on hbo seems to be Tyler Perry dramas. There’s a couple madeas thrown in there too

the tone shift throughout these madea movies is striking. its half goofy comedy and then a stark changeover to serious SVU style cable drama, then it flips back to comedy the next scene lol

Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Beyer did Tyler Perry movies for the third season of their podcast Newcomers. I can't say that I have any desire to watch them still, but the Madea Cinematic Universe sounds wild.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nihonniboku posted:

Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Beyer did Tyler Perry movies for the third season of their podcast Newcomers. I can't say that I have any desire to watch them still, but the Madea Cinematic Universe sounds wild.

Haha I'll check that out, I used to listen to Raised by TV

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mystes posted:

The energy of "other people have the gall to like something I don't"

Nah, that's not it. It's like being passionate about gym socks. It doesn't offend, it's more like I simply cannot grasp the mindset. On the other hand Twilight or Harry Potter, I don't like it but I utterly get the appeal.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I was a good 45 minutes into Everything Everywhere before I realized that the husband was Short Round from Temple of Doom. Good for that guy

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nah, that's not it. It's like being passionate about gym socks. It doesn't offend, it's more like I simply cannot grasp the mindset. On the other hand Twilight or Harry Potter, I don't like it but I utterly get the appeal.

Not your fault, since you're being asked to fully unpack what was a tossed off observation, but you're probably better off stopping now since you're basically arguing that you can't possibly see the appeal (even if it doesn't appeal to you) of a brightly colored, visually inventive, feel good story that is (at least) about :

Intergenerational trauma among immigrant families;
The lines between gay tolerance and gay expected (also among same);
The silent resentment and communication breakdowns between mothers and daughters;
Smiling in the face of existential terror; and
The difficulty that comes with recognizing that you haven't achieved the things you'd hoped for themselves

That includes fart jokes, kung fu, and Michelle Yeah (also doing Kung Fu). Like it or not, you honestly get the appeal of Twilight over that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm talking about my response to Hamilton and Punkin's response to EEAAO as a comparison. I'm comparing the nature of the response. I haven't seen EEAAO and everyone who has seen it and knows me says that, at a minimum, I will really really like it (and I fully expect to). But yeah let's just drop it because this thread is being weird as hell and if someone doesn't like a movie I don't personally take offense to that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everything Everywhere and RRR are very heavy handed. they're also good, and they're heavy handed about stuff that i agree with, but it's a fair criticism to file that they're a bit too obvious and self-congratulatory. it's okay to like a movie, etc

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I rewatched "It" remake and still just hate everything about it but the makeup team

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Upsidads posted:

I rewatched "It" remake and still just hate everything about it but the makeup team

Chapter Two is even worse

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh I know I'm lumping it in

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thiccabod posted:

I was a good 45 minutes into Everything Everywhere before I realized that the husband was Short Round from Temple of Doom. Good for that guy

I was in the tax office and yeah it was so nice seeing him doing well

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm talking about my response to Hamilton and Punkin's response to EEAAO as a comparison. I'm comparing the nature of the response. I haven't seen EEAAO and everyone who has seen it and knows me says that, at a minimum, I will really really like it (and I fully expect to). But yeah let's just drop it because this thread is being weird as hell and if someone doesn't like a movie I don't personally take offense to that.
The thread wasn’t being weird

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha I'll check that out, I used to listen to Raised by TV

Season 1 they did Star Wars. Season 2 Lord of the Rings, which was a bit of a stretch since there is only so much LOTR media, so they ended up listening to the radio plays, and watching the cut scenes from Shadow of Mordor. Season 3 was Madea. Season 4 Lauren took off to have her daughter, so Jon Gabrus filled in and they watched the Fast and Furious movies, I skipped that season. And now they're doing the MCU, but they're only doing 20 episodes, so they're skipping a bunch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
thanks to WHM i watched Don's Plum on youtube, and, just lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lu0fV2xoZg

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly didnt even realize it was short round, somebody told me like a week after. Good for him, yeah. It's certainly not a popular opinion (understandably) but Temple was my favorite Indiana Jones film as a kid.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The mummy is so good dude

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly didnt even realize it was short round, somebody told me like a week after. Good for him, yeah. It's certainly not a popular opinion (understandably) but Temple was my favorite Indiana Jones film as a kid.

also my favorite, I think because it was the first one I was exposed to. the heart ripping scene scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid. I need to get the trilogy on blu ray

edit, I need the mummy on blu ray too I think. gently caress this movie is a classic

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 23, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Umbrella Academy s3 is starting off HECKIN strong. the first episode is basically better than all of S2

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching the new Doctor Strange on Disney+ im glad they got raimi to make such a lovely boring stupid film. It's final confirmation of what i always knew, it doesnt matter who you get, the mcu will always churn out a bunch of ugly videogame cinemas for three hours that mostly reference even shittier Disney+ tv shows

Im finally free from ever getting tricked into seeing one of these hobbit sequel rear end films again

Lol at Wanda threatening the entire universe to get the most stock photo rear end white kids in existence. YOU DONT UNDERSTAND, STRANGE, I NEED CODY AND KAYYLNN

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You dare remind us Bruce Campbell looks 2000 years old in 2021 but you dont give me a Darkman cameo?? gently caress off Raimi

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching the new Doctor Strange on Disney+ im glad they got raimi to make such a lovely boring stupid film. It's final confirmation of what i always knew, it doesnt matter who you get, the mcu will always churn out a bunch of ugly videogame cinemas for three hours that mostly reference even shittier Disney+ tv shows

Im finally free from ever getting tricked into seeing one of these hobbit sequel rear end films again

Lol at Wanda threatening the entire universe to get the most stock photo rear end white kids in existence. YOU DONT UNDERSTAND, STRANGE, I NEED CODY AND KAYYLNN

This was the first MCU movie that clicked the "this is all green screen" vibe, to the point of turning it off after twenty minutes. The Shuma Gorath fight just felt entirely fake.

I think my problems with the MCU is that. Everything feels too fake and comic booky, where's the format tends to lend better towards the Batman approach and keeping things in reality.

It's a shame.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

precision posted:

Umbrella Academy s3 is starting off HECKIN strong. the first episode is basically better than all of S2

These two year gaps between seasons are tough. We watched the S2 recap and didn’t remember half of it. So now we either hope S3 makes sense anyway, or watch a longer YouTube recap, or rewatch some or all of S2.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

worms butthole guy posted:

This was the first MCU movie that clicked the "this is all green screen" vibe, to the point of turning it off after twenty minutes. The Shuma Gorath fight just felt entirely fake.

I think my problems with the MCU is that. Everything feels too fake and comic booky, where's the format tends to lend better towards the Batman approach and keeping things in reality.

It's a shame.
I'm of the opinion we're in a period of time like the late 90s early 2000s where a lot of movies are going to age very poorly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't read comics, but I've been super into the MCU. I went to see this in the theater with a couple of friends, and my friend who reads the comics was super ecstatic about it. My other friend and I though were super lukewarm on the movie, and thought it was a lower middle tier MCU movie. For all the crazy action, very little in the movie actually happened plot wise, and it only advanced the main MCU plot in the 30 second mid credits sequence.

Other stray spoilery thoughts:

There's no way Wanda is actually dead since they didn't show her death on screen. Her story still isn't over, and they're gearing up for Young Avengers, and there is apparently no way they do that without Billy and Tommy. Plus Vision is still out there somewhere.

I feel like John Krasinski isn't actually going to be their choice to play Mr Fantastic, since this was in another universe, this was just Marvel giving into fan casting and say, here, this is what he would be like as this character, but that's all you're going to get. Fun use of Black Bolt too, even though I never watched that TV show.

My biggest problem with the movie actually was that almost every major twist or action piece was featured in the trailers. By the time I saw the movie, collectively, I felt like I had seen it already. Disney needs to cut that out with their trailers, Feige was saying the same thing about MCU trailers lately. Leave something for surprise!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Glad you finally figured that out after only 28 films and 7 Disney Plus shows! Don't exactly understand why you would keep going to see stuff that you know you don't like.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

worms butthole guy posted:

It's a shame.

DC stuff is more grounded in reality, as much as comic book stuff can be. Marvel is just over the top ridiculous, you know like most comic books.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Glad you finally figured that out after only 28 films and 7 Disney Plus shows! Don't exactly understand why you would keep going to see stuff that you know you don't like.
I appreciate you trying to get in a "witty zinger" on me like the "characters" in these "movies" you like but you dont actually know how many of these shits Ive seen. I gave this one a shot because i havent actually seen a whole lot of the MCU all things considered, combined with the thought that Raimi coming in would be the greatest test of whether a distinct creative voice could forge a distinct and fun flavor of their own in the MCU.
Really it was my love for Raimi that brought me in. He hasn't made a film in so long, that in itself was reason enough to see this...and I was told there were fun wacky zooms and signs of his direction (nooooot reaaally).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

These two year gaps between seasons are tough. We watched the S2 recap and didn’t remember half of it. So now we either hope S3 makes sense anyway, or watch a longer YouTube recap, or rewatch some or all of S2.

haha same. i'm following S3 just fine though, i assume that being based on a graphic novel is why it's so volumaic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't read comics, but I've been super into the MCU. I went to see this in the theater with a couple of friends, and my friend who reads the comics was super ecstatic about it. My other friend and I though were super lukewarm on the movie, and thought it was a lower middle tier MCU movie. For all the crazy action, very little in the movie actually happened plot wise, and it only advanced the main MCU plot in the 30 second mid credits sequence.

Other stray spoilery thoughts:

I feel like John Krasinski isn't actually going to be their choice to play Mr Fantastic, since this was in another universe, this was just Marvel giving into fan casting and say, here, this is what he would be like as this character, but that's all you're going to get. Fun use of Black Bolt too, even though I never watched that TV show.

i liked John K as Fantastic a lot honestly, just cuz Fantastic is this unlikeable weird looking dipshit and they picked the closest to the real life version of that in CIA Jim.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 23, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: turns out I'm oversensitive about kids and we figure it out downstream.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lol I watched it last night and had a very similar reaction. It was so DUMB. I could appreciate it as a big dumb fun spectacle movie, but I can't even imagine someone calling this a "good" movie.

It reminded me of some big budget made for tv special, like that 90s Gulliver's travels thing.

Wanda as the villain was not believable at all, especially since a character even pointed out how dumb the plot was earlier, asking her what she's gonna do with the kids' mom.

There was never any explanation or answer to the question of why Dr Strange is willing to let all these people he's familiar with die for the protection of this random girl he met 5 minutes ago.

In fact the entire multiverse setup completely devalues all of these characters. Who gives a poo poo if anyone dies when there are infinite other versions of them who are this accessible?

Somehow Rick and Morty's portrayal of an accessible multiverse is a million times more realistic than the MCU's

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately you're 100% right, that post clearly indicates that the poster lusts for the death of all blonde haired white children who do not reach acceptable levels of quirkiness.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

People loving loved civil war and I thought that was one of the most boring turd of a movie ever made. Haven't seen a MCU since. I guess people have to convince themselves they're good movies and everyone actually watches all 22 movies and 8 Disney plus series and 5 netflix and and and.

Sunk cost and projection really.

I really wish we would have gotten say cowboy bebop s2 instead of more poo poo comic book stuff, that was at least a fun adaptation.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tweet my meat posted:

Unfortunately you're 100% right, that post clearly indicates that the poster lusts for the death of all blonde haired white children who do not reach acceptable levels of quirkiness.

I don't think that. I mean, I get that they're generic but come on. They're her kids.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Also the hobbit sequels were legit. Especially the extended versions

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Those kids are literally a parody of like 80s cereal commercials if I remember the Wanda tv show correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Also the hobbit sequels were legit. Especially the extended versions

I think they are excellent sleep aids as it's impossible to focus on or care about any characters