Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That post has so many edges it's going back in time to 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

quote:

Then there's other poo poo that's completely lazy. Vader, simply put, doesn't fight like his character. Fighting is an expression of character as much as dialogue, walking, eating, or anything else the character does. Just briefly think about how Vader's character could reflect in the way he fights, and how it has in other Star Wars media, then look at that poo poo. I can accept Rambo in the Mortal Kombat game moving the way Sylvester Stallone has never moved, that's a concession to the needs of a fighting game. This has no such limitation.

big time. darth vader does not do spins and twirls, he is physically beyond such acrobatics. he is a Frankenstein Monster, indefatigable and unrelenting.

i did like Haydens little scenes but they fundamentally felt incongruent with the Vader parts. so yea this poo poo sucked rear end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horizon Burning posted:

also obi-wan draws on the power of baby leia and explodes his way out of mass of rock like a loving anime
I immediately thought of how in ESB, Vader hits Luke with a box and they really sell how much it hurts. Here Vader gets pelted with enough boulders to brain a herd of elephants, and it's like Obi-Wan is spraying him with a hose. Typical weightless superhero stuff.

Horizon Burning posted:

so obi-wan stabs vader in the chest and busts up his helmet, only to realize that anakin is truly dead (???) and then he just turns his back and walks away??? what
Yeah, the plot of the series is that Vader is leading the space Gestapo...and Obi-Wan lets him live...after Vader proudly declares that he's not the same person Obi-Wan feels guilty about.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's actually kinda cool that every single character beat was something that already happened in Ep III, something inconsistent with the films, something inconsistent within the show itself, or some combination of the three

Vader doing spin flips is so loving funny and stupid

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the one thing i don't think star wars has ever managed when someone beats up darth vader is to somehow make it feel not, well, pathetic. whether it's force unleashed or this obi-wan show, it's like the creators don't really get that vader - for all his best ever bad guy status and scary voice - is ultimately a half-dead dude in an iron lung. the moment he starts wheezing and stumbling about, it stops being heroic and starts being sad. in the case of the two i mentioned, i think that's somewhat the point. killing vader is the bad end in the game and in this obi-wan ultimately decides not to kill vader (inexplicably.) the tone of it just feels strange. i'm not sure how you'd square it beyond, y'know, not having that whole fight scene. we see in this series and in rogue one that vader spends a lot of his time as a torso!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I thought the exchange between Obi Wan and Vader was rather touching. Still, Obi Wan probably shoulda killed him.

Also, this poo poo already happened in Episode 3. This is redundant.

sponges fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My fav bit was when Obi-Wan met up with Jimmy Smits and Jimmy said "we can never repay you" and I thought "you should have said at the start there'd be no reward in it"

They missed an opportunity to have Reva mention "his father Anakin Skywalker" or something in front of Luke, to fill in the backstory of how he knows his last name is Skywalker instead of being raised as Luke Lars

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sponges posted:

I thought the exchange between Obi Wan and Vader was rather touching. Still, Obi Wan probably shoulda killed him.

Also, this poo poo already happened in Episode 3. This is redundant.

Yeah Ewan and Hayden killed it with their performances, but the entire show was pretty pointless and adds nothing of weight to the mythos.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah nah this poo poo was worse than uvalde
what the gently caress is wrong with you

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the entire series was really bad but this episode was...okay? Like if you don't care about it cohering with the other episodes, the cartoons, or being well done - that is, if you've properly set your expectations after The Force Awakens, let alone the first loving five episodes of this slop.

It's redundant on purpose. The entire thing with Disney Wars is selectively reusing, recanonizing elements from the original to retell the same story over and over again,.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

“You didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker. I did.” Is a legit good line

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Obi wan's rock spam reminded me of vampire survivors. So yeah that was the best part for sure

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

jk sheevens

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Valve Steam Deck posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Star Wars fans are really rude

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t think I can bring myself to finish this crap.

Edit: On the flip side, I’ve started watching Rebels for the first time and I’m quite enjoying it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I don’t think I can bring myself to finish this crap.

Edit: On the flip side, I’ve started watching Rebels for the first time and I’m quite enjoying it.

It's good pulp. They tie character growth to the plot really well. They even manage the 'Everyone is getting more backstory' series of episodes in season 2 while still going on cool and fun adventures.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
How long between this fight and Rebels? Obi Wan didn’t hesitate to kill the gently caress out of Maul.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

moosecow333 posted:

How long between this fight and Rebels? Obi Wan didn’t hesitate to kill the gently caress out of Maul.

7 years or so between the this fight and the one in Rebels.

Timeline is something like
19 years before ANH - Revenge of the Sith, Bad Batch, Clone Wars S7
14 - Fallen Order
10 - Solo
9 - Kenobi
5 - Rebels starts
1 - Rebels ends
0 - Rogue one, ANH.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 23, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ain't nobi-wan watch this garbage

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I immediately thought of how in ESB, Vader hits Luke with a box and they really sell how much it hurts. Here Vader gets pelted with enough boulders to brain a herd of elephants, and it's like Obi-Wan is spraying him with a hose. Typical weightless superhero stuff.

The dumbest thing to me is that 5 minutes earlier Vader literally pulled a small mountain from Obi Wan's grasp and punted it across the battlefield. There's no way he couldn't shield himself from these tiny rocks.

And I've said it before. Disney doesn't want Star Wars, it wants Star Heroes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

Star Wars fans are really rude
Yeah but that's not rude, this is rude

I don't know what that was but seriously what the gently caress

Darth TNT posted:

The kids who watched this are now adults with kids of their own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj07qh51zPI

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Obi-wan Episode 6: A Trilogy of Reviews

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Interesting idea: have Obi-Wan and Vader have their climatic duel in a location that presents certain stakes in an interesting environment. For example, on the rebel ship, so Obi-Wan has to protect the passengers from Vader.

Instead they have the duel on a barren greenscreen planet.

Interesting idea: have Qui-Gon appear to Obi-Wan in a meaningful location in at least somewhat dramatic way. Maybe Obi-Wan is going through some rocky terrain or looking back at the Lars homestead and Qui-Gon appears by his side.

Instead Qui-Gon is just suddenly standing on some sand in front of Obi-Wan while he's riding a CGI fart camel.

This is the essence of the show to me. They do everything in the most lazy way possible.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I like that the Empire now has hundreds of eyewitness accounts, literal incarceration records from their own prison, and other assorted proof that Bail Organa is working with notorious at large anti imperial terrorist Obi Wan Kenobi, and does nothing about it. Just completely forgets that this important government official is committing high treason.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oh God I agree so much on the sword fights. What made them think this halogen floodlight bullshit would be a good idea?!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Ain't nobi-wan watch this garbage

hell yes

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Yeah but that's not rude, this is rude

I don't know what that was but seriously what the gently caress

The kids who watched this are now adults with kids of their own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj07qh51zPI

How old are you OP

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Jesus posted:

Interesting idea: have Obi-Wan and Vader have their climatic duel in a location that presents certain stakes in an interesting environment. For example, on the rebel ship, so Obi-Wan has to protect the passengers from Vader.

Instead they have the duel on a barren greenscreen planet.
They could easily have ended the fight some other way. Just off the top of my head, Vader could have caused an earthquake or rockslide that forced Kenobi to run away instead of killing him.

Is there any explanation for why Vader didn't kill Reva, or why Kenobi didn't kill Vader? I don't feel like I was missing some implied explanation.

Darth TNT posted:

For me this is not so much in how they film the lightsaber duels, but in the way they discard the prequels and their criticism of the Jedi, make the whole Rebellion revolve around Jedi, make the Skywalkers the center of the entire series' narrative, and reduce all of the war and politics to "Ben is mad at Luke" interpersonal conflicts. It's like a CW superhero show.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 23, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

galagazombie posted:

So I like that the Empire now has hundreds of eyewitness accounts, literal incarceration records from their own prison, and other assorted proof that Bail Organa is working with notorious at large anti imperial terrorist Obi Wan Kenobi, and does nothing about it. Just completely forgets that this important government official is committing high treason.

The senate still exists at this point though and Bail is a senator.

So much like irl I'm sure the Bail was just like "acknowledgement is a form of accountability" to the senate and they/the empire sent Bail Organa a bi-partisan reprimanding letter and some prominent Moff at that time was like "I am deeply concerned about this but now is not the right time to politicize these events" or whatever and that was that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any explanation for why Vader didn't kill Reva, or why Kenobi didn't kill Vader? I don't feel like I was missing some implied explanation.

Vader though the Grand Inquisitor was going to do it and the Grand Inquisitor thought Vader was going to do it, and neither wanted to lose face by asking.

Halloween Jack posted:

For me this is not so much in how they film the lightsaber duels, but in the way they discard the prequels and their criticism of the Jedi, make the whole Rebellion revolve around Jedi, make the Skywalkers the center of the entire series' narrative, and reduce all of the war and politics to "Ben is mad at Luke" interpersonal conflicts. It's like a CW superhero show.

Yeah, this

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The future of entertainment is people standing inside a tiny round closet saying "it's beautiful" at footage of denuded, lifeless landscapes what purportedly count as "nature" projected on the walls

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

For Reza, which is the only good fight scene in the show, Vader spares her because it's more insulting. He correctly gauges that she would rather die than be sent 'back to the gutter'. I appreciate the implicit point that Vader thinks the inquistors are stupid and doesn't give a poo poo about the whole 'capture them mutants' plot.

(There's also an interesting ambiguity, as becoming an unaligned champion of the homeless is certainly the best course for Reza. Is Vader helping her?)

Problem with all the other fight scenes is that they follow the same logic: they're entirely about insulting the other combatant, which is why it ends with the stalemate of Obiwan saying "ur a loser Darth" and Anakin rolling with the punches ("yes, I am a Darth! And I lost on purpose!").

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 23, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

This is really, really, really good criticism. And also, I agree with you 100% about the lightsabers being too bright.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That poor inquisitor almost got bested by one adult Skywalker and almost both Skywalker children

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mameluke posted:

The future of entertainment is people standing inside a tiny round closet saying "it's beautiful" at footage of denuded, lifeless landscapes what purportedly count as "nature" projected on the walls

I mean, that's just gonna be the future of "being in nature" in general, I think

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For Reza, which is the only good fight scene in the show, Vader spares her because it's more insulting. He correctly gauges that she would rather die than be sent 'back to the gutter'.
Okay, that makes sense.

From the other thread:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The show has a real problem of characters doing stuff that seems totally stupid, but there's a twist that what they were doing had a purpose that was totally underwhelming.
I was befuddled when Reva's years-long plan to kill Vader turned out to be "sneak up behind him when he's alone."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"I'll check the dune sea" and then starting to run into the desert was a fun gag

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is weird how different is the reception of the Obi Wan show here in the thread compared to what Im seeing outside. In twitter and such Im mostly seeing positive reactions "wow awesome!!! this is real star wars!!!" etc
I havent watched it yet and probably wont so soon but from what Ive been reading about it, you guys are probably right

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ingmar terdman posted:

"I'll check the dune sea" and then starting to run into the desert was a fun gag
"Luuuuuuuuuuuuke?!! WHERE ARE YOU?!!?"

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is weird how different is the reception of the Obi Wan show here in the thread compared to what Im seeing outside. In twitter and such Im mostly seeing positive reactions "wow awesome!!! this is real star wars!!!" etc
I havent watched it yet and probably wont so soon but from what Ive been reading about it, you guys are probably right

I think a huge chunk of the fans out there only really know the movies and maybe Mando cause of Baby Yoda but just in passing. They do not know Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, etc etc. This is the best it can be apparently.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Booka is worse in a pure sense but it's just a commercial for the new season of the puppet show so it's whatever

Showbi could have been something cool - I think we kinda know that it was never going to be bold in any real way, but the algorithmic dialogue and the LED dome make it so bland. A few nice little lines and moments break through the grey, and there are a few moments of style, but eh. That makes it a much bigger letdown to me

I have been tricked into eagerly anticipating Content from the folks at Lucasfilm for the last time. That's alright - I'll keep watching that garbage

e: did they attempt to make vader's replacement mask look more like the Star Wars/rogue one mask? The costume def looks more like the ESB version

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I was befuddled when Reva's years-long plan to kill Vader turned out to be "sneak up behind him when he's alone."

I will LOL forever that she ignites the saber and then screams and swings it instead of just igniting it through him.