Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So Kit Harrington's show is billed as a sequel but it also happens before GoT according to Emilia Clarke and I guess this all kinda points out to Jon Snow traveling into the past to the age of heros and literally being Azor Ahai? I think it's a better premise than like him just hanging out north of the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I didn’t read the newest book but do they even have a central plot anymore?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Invalid Validation posted:

No

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Kelly C gets ressurrected by Melisandre and joins Jon in his time traveling adventures

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Invalid Validation posted:

Nope. There were three acts of GRRM’s original outline. War of the Five Kings, Dance of Dragons 2.0, and War for the Dawn. First Act is done. It unexpectedly took him 3 books to do but hey he got them all out in like 4 years so fine no problem. But immediately upon needing to go into the second act GRRM either lost interest in his original plot or any semblance of discipline and greatly expanded the story in a bunch of unmanageable meandering ways leaving no path or end to the Dance of Dragons 2.0 act in sight. And then War for the Dawn lmao Christ how many books will be needed to do that justice?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That post of him saying that he is involved in the new series and that they will be "canon" makes me think he also dont expects to finish this thing, and dont seems to be too upset about it either, and is actually happy theres TV shows to keep his story going

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

A Dance With Dragons tried to tie a few of the threads together, but it's still in a really bad spot if he wants to end the series in two books. Not mentioning the preview chapters which could have been axed at this point, here's a rough picture of where characters with noteworthy POVs are by the end of Dance:

Bran is somewhere beyond the Wall
Theon and Asha are reunited alongside Stannis just outside Winterfell
Tyrion is somewhere outside Meereen with some mercenaries
Barristan is in Meereen
Arya is in Braavos
Sansa is in The Eyrie
Jon's dead (?) at the Wall
Arianne is somewhere probably near Jon Con
Areo is somewhere
Victarion is somewhere out at sea
Daenerys is somewhere in the middle of Essos, making GBS threads herself
Cersei is in King's Landing
Jamie and Brienne are reunited in the Riverlands (I think?)
Doran is in Sunspear looking at fruit
Quentyn is definitely 100% dead
Sam is in Oldtown
Davos is going to Skagos

Some of these POVs are tied together, but most aren't. Nobody is around to push a Sansa chapter forward at the moment. I think it was Preston Jacobs or someone who pointed it out, but there have been three Bran chapters since 2005.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Uh, more like there's been 3 Bran chapter since mid-2000 when ASOS came out. I think his story has definitely moved forward the least over the last couple of decades, which is especially sad to me because when I initially read the series his chapters were always among my favorites in terns of POV. Oh well.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nope. There were three acts of GRRM’s original outline. War of the Five Kings, Dance of Dragons 2.0, and War for the Dawn. First Act is done. It unexpectedly took him 3 books to do but hey he got them all out in like 4 years so fine no problem. But immediately upon needing to go into the second act GRRM either lost interest in his original plot or any semblance of discipline and greatly expanded the story in a bunch of unmanageable meandering ways leaving no path or end to the Dance of Dragons 2.0 act in sight. And then War for the Dawn lmao Christ how many books will be needed to do that justice?

War for the Dawn should be easy because the White Walkers have been portrayed as an omnicidal threat that everyone needs to unite against and defeat. They have no POV characters, no motivation aside from "Imperialism/genocide/corrupt", and while we know they exist, we haven't seen them in forever, and only know that they're slowly moving South with a huge corpse army.

The challenge, if GURM was ever going to write again (He won't), is just to get the characters through a Second Dance, and then get the Three Heads of the Targaryens up to the North to kill White Walkers with their dragons.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

War for the Dawn should be easy because the White Walkers have been portrayed as an omnicidal threat that everyone needs to unite against and defeat. They have no POV characters, no motivation aside from "Imperialism/genocide/corrupt", and while we know they exist, we haven't seen them in forever, and only know that they're slowly moving South with a huge corpse army.

The challenge, if GURM was ever going to write again (He won't), is just to get the characters through a Second Dance, and then get the Three Heads of the Targaryens up to the North to kill White Walkers with their dragons.

This runs against everything GRRM has even vaguely said about his plans regarding The Others though. You’ve got to go back years for this poo poo though. This is just a slightly different version of the show just quickly killing the mindless evil monsters yay which he definitely won’t want to do seeing as how everyone got mad about that.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This runs against everything GRRM has even vaguely said about his plans regarding The Others though. You’ve got to go back years for this poo poo though. This is just a slightly different version of the show just quickly killing the mindless evil monsters yay which he definitely won’t want to do seeing as how everyone got mad about that.

Everyone was mad because they were built up like the main evil and then Arya just one taps them and suddenly Dany was the big bad. It made the whole Others plot seem like an afterthought.

A major confrontation of Westeros vs the Others would make a lot more sense.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Everyone was mad because they were built up like the main evil and then Arya just one taps them and suddenly Dany was the big bad. It made the whole Others plot seem like an afterthought.

There's a lot of interesting space where the response to an existential threat then becomes the threat it could be explored.

It will not be.

Anyway, everyone knows if you kill the head vampire other it kills all the other vampiresothers, and that's how the underdog heroes can win in the darkest moment, and who are we to question the brain trust that is some rich guys kid and a guy who wrote at thing one time who figured out who Jon Snow's father was?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It would be kind of funny if GRRM got to dealing with The Others and it was more disappointing than how the show did it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Race for the Iron Throne, a tumblr blog I used to read, theorized that the show flipped the final two acts because they wanted to focus on the political nature of the show, not the supernatural, since it was its political aspects that earned it fame. As in, RFTIT theorized Dany's going to burn King's Landing (prolly accidentally while fighting Mr. Blackfyre), then while sitting on the ashes, she goes North to try to save the Kingdom she's just burninated.

I have no problem with the Others being a faceless evil to be fought down. Not that we'll ever know at this point, of course.

Still lolling that another Tolkien book is coming out before GURM.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM confirmed he’s involved with the Snow sequel lol.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM confirmed he’s involved with the Snow sequel lol.

Yeah, here's the link for anyone doom readers out there: https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/06/23/snow-and-other-stuff/

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

He's just going to be in the casting room for whoever auditions for Val.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Real talk though, Val kinda rules and she was one of the many missing things at the Wall.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol that Kit thought Arya killing the night king was so dumb hes like "let me redo this poo poo with my own show" Good for him. Almost as great as Varys actor slam dunking the script into the trash after his last table reading.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The only way I'll approve a reboot is if Dave and Dan have to play Jon and Daenerys and there are no changes to the scripts.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I hope it's actually called SNOW and is filmed in the style of a Scandinavian noir detective movie.

A gloomy tent, Jon SNOW sits at his desk gnawing on cured meat. In comes a young tattooed Wildling girl who looks around nervously. Her red hair reminds him of his failed first marriage...

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Another new Preston/Carmine cast in response to GRRM's blog post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3tc0qEL-n4. I want the Snow show just so it brings back some poo poo to talk about. GoT discussion has just been so dire without even a bad show to make fun of.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Another new Preston/Carmine cast in response to GRRM's blog post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3tc0qEL-n4. I want the Snow show just so it brings back some poo poo to talk about. GoT discussion has just been so dire without even a bad show to make fun of.

Good news there’s one coming in August

mewse
May 2, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So Kit Harrington's show is billed as a sequel but it also happens before GoT according to Emilia Clarke and I guess this all kinda points out to Jon Snow traveling into the past to the age of heros and literally being Azor Ahai? I think it's a better premise than like him just hanging out north of the wall?

I was confused as well but if you read what she said in that interview really closely, she's talking about House of the Dragon when she says it's set a bejillion years before GoT. The New Jon Snow Adventure Show, Great Job! is presumably fully *after* GoT.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It would be cooler if they time travel, imo.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It would be cooler if they time travel, imo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Preston is right that Kit should be in full Sell Out mode and include ghost Ygritte in the show so that his wife also gets a nice paycheck for this garbage.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Melisandre ressurected her

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Elias_Maluco posted:

Melisandre ressurected as her

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s such a great point that HBO will not be able to help themselves with this show just like with Disney and the Mandalorian. Mandalorian season 1 was a pretty low key self contained story. Then in Season 2 it immediately became Star Wars: The TV Show with all your favorite characters showing up. The same will happen with Snow.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Did Rose Leslie's parents remortgage their castle to fund this series? It only makes sense as a pity party for Kit Harrington.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s such a great point that HBO will not be able to help themselves with this show just like with Disney and the Mandalorian. Mandalorian season 1 was a pretty low key self contained story. Then in Season 2 it immediately became Star Wars: The TV Show with all your favorite characters showing up. The same will happen with Snow.

HBO is likely fully aware of the common sentiment that people just may not give a poo poo about Targaryens, or at least not enough to justify another hundred million dollar per season epic and have a retconning continuation of their main series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's a rather poignant metaphor that HBO (likely, probably, almost definitely) not wait for the nostalgia cycle to finish a full lap before going back to the well and bringing back every single actor desperate for a cameo paycheck, for a franchise most of its own fans don't even really like anymore.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

kaworu posted:

Uh, more like there's been 3 Bran chapter since mid-2000 when ASOS came out. I think his story has definitely moved forward the least over the last couple of decades, which is especially sad to me because when I initially read the series his chapters were always among my favorites in terns of POV. Oh well.

Oh man, I didn't even read it that way when I double-checked the wikis. We've had 3 Bran chapters in 22 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Don’t worry GRRM will be able to write a satisfactory plot of Bran becoming an immortal tree God King in like 6 more chapters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He doesn’t have to, we’ve all seen the show, he’ll just show up at the end and everyone will kneel for him.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Who has a better story than Bran the Broken (who hasn't had a story in two decades)

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I also watched the Star Wars Xmas special.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't think it will. The IP needs much better management to survive this next leap. HBO isn't known for having that kind of long term vision, nor do they have full access to the IP. For example, an animated Dunk and Egg show, or better spin offs to appeal to a wider demo. I mean it's a really rich and fertile world. That it is unfinished is actually a positive in that sense - the whole thing could be crafted / retconned as needed and you have a world large enough for decades of creative. you telling me you wouldn't watch a japanime about Arya and Nymeria kicking around the world, righting wrongs, trying to find out what happened to her mother's ghost? There are a million stories that could be written. A million games. But it's an IP that needs to be nurtured and grown properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I can fully believe that the license can make a comeback, but I can't really see it. The age of well-written Thrones media goes back to 2014 at the earliest or even earlier depending on who you talk to. Since then, the visual media has had awful plotting, pacing, and dialogue, and the books have mostly been plodding internalization and lore dumps. ASOIAF media needs something dynamic and engaging with characters and drama and unexpected twists and turns again. It cannot go back to Benioff dialogue where characters speak in nonsensical pseudo-intellectual aphorisms or with humor that's either awkward silences or "whorec***gently caress" vulgarities.