Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The bit where you ride a boat across the desert because it's surrounded by a bubble of past that turns the desert back into ocean is one of my favorite zelda sequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Vic has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jun 19, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales and I do like how the first new costume you get is a hand me down from Peter and it doesn't fit at all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales and I do like how the first new costume you get is a hand me down from Peter and it doesn't fit at all.

If you get into a cutscene right after web swinging, your dialog will be out of breath :allears:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man for the Playstation 4: Screwball is a fun antagonist because she is not a vengeful mass murderer, she just wants Spider-Man to do cool stunts and score big points and PHOTOBOMBS! The chase to capture her is also fun because you have to also do a bomb challenge and then shoot her robots.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Think I'm about 3/4 of the way through Guardians of the Galaxy and its really wild how much the writing in this game absolutely puts BioWare writing to shame. Like, it's a similar sort of setting as Mass Effect where you control a human with a bunch of alien crew members from disparate backgrounds that fight alongside you, but GoG's writing actually makes it feel like they care about each other, unlike Mass Effect's is basically talking to someone three times after missions and then loving them.

Like, I just finished chapter 11, where you go into Drax's mind to save him from the promise and I just want to give him a hug. Similarly, learning about Rocket's past gives some real similar vibes to, for example, Kaiden, but delivered well as opposed to robotically in a series of bland conversations.

I know nothing can happen to these guys because they're established Marvel characters but I am still deeply concerned about their emotional state and if anything happened to Groot I would kill everyone on the bad guy ship and then blow it up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just burned through the end of Castle D and blew through House Beneviento in RE8 today, game continues to own.

I’ve gotta be honest, Castle D landed as scarier for me than the House, even though the House tries so much harder. It’s like half the game for me is stressing out about ammo and stuff when I miss a shot or don’t explore thoroughly enough - when there’s a big long extended setpiece where all your gear is taken away, it’s pretty obviously doable within the context provided, as opposed to the Castle where I kept getting jumped by the bug witches and tall vampire mommy. It certainly didn’t help that my incessant urge to break absolutely everything breakable in this game made me beat the first witch entirely by accident without realizing what happened, so I burned through a fair amount of ammo trying to fight them in the Main Hall where I couldn’t really do anything to them.

THAT SAID, as soon as I got the first “dirty vial” I shouted “oh man they’re doing an Akira!!”, the Duke confirmed it almost immediately, and then House Beneviento followed it up beautifully with giant nightmare baby Tetsuo, it was loving incredible.

Now I’m onto Moreau’s area (after picking up basically everything not nailed down in the titular village and getting some food-based upgrades) and it’s a fun change of pace, I’m completely loaded up with upgraded guns and ammo and Ethan is just openly mocking the fat fishy bastard.

Game owns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online is really doing it. The sentient space jellyfish ship from Encounter at Farpoint is real, and it will hurt you once players get them and start fitting them out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's Blasto, surely

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nope. The giant space-faring jellyfish are from the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, back in the 80s.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cythereal posted:

Star Trek Online is really doing it. The sentient space jellyfish ship from Encounter at Farpoint is real, and it will hurt you once players get them and start fitting them out.

Andorian Boy Summer

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Morpheus posted:

Think I'm about 3/4 of the way through Guardians of the Galaxy and its really wild how much the writing in this game absolutely puts BioWare writing to shame. Like, it's a similar sort of setting as Mass Effect where you control a human with a bunch of alien crew members from disparate backgrounds that fight alongside you, but GoG's writing actually makes it feel like they care about each other, unlike Mass Effect's is basically talking to someone three times after missions and then loving them.

Like, I just finished chapter 11, where you go into Drax's mind to save him from the promise and I just want to give him a hug. Similarly, learning about Rocket's past gives some real similar vibes to, for example, Kaiden, but delivered well as opposed to robotically in a series of bland conversations.

I know nothing can happen to these guys because they're established Marvel characters but I am still deeply concerned about their emotional state and if anything happened to Groot I would kill everyone on the bad guy ship and then blow it up.
I really liked how the characters change throughout the game. At the beginning, Rocket would get angry at everything anyone did, and I was honestly getting tired of his poo poo. Then fast forward to me thinking, "hell yeah, little guy," when he jumps into water without hesitating. Same with Groot making bridges on his own initiative, and Drax starting to call people by their names.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Now I’m onto Moreau’s area (after picking up basically everything not nailed down in the titular village and getting some food-based upgrades) and it’s a fun change of pace, I’m completely loaded up with upgraded guns and ammo and Ethan is just openly mocking the fat fishy bastard.

Game owns.
He may not be as loved as classic RE protagonists, but I love Ethan and his defining trait of being a normal guy who is completely over the spooky things happening around him.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I picked up the new Starship Troopers RTS and am enjoying it so far. It does a pretty good job of capturing the style and feel of the movie.

The game also doesn’t shy away from reminding you that the Terran Federation are jackboot fascists. One of the objectives in the early game is to defend a prison as someone is being executed on live tv for the terrible crime of being a union leader.

There was also a small prison break and the game did in fact give me flamethrower units to uh, pacify the rioters.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the over under on that old “wow, cool spess mahrine” comic coming into play here? Are they really leaning into you playing the bad guys?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Warbird posted:

What’s the over under on that old “wow, cool spess mahrine” comic coming into play here? Are they really leaning into you playing the bad guys?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Professor Wayne posted:

I really liked how the characters change throughout the game. At the beginning, Rocket would get angry at everything anyone did, and I was honestly getting tired of his poo poo. Then fast forward to me thinking, "hell yeah, little guy," when he jumps into water without hesitating. Same with Groot making bridges on his own initiative, and Drax starting to call people by their names.

He may not be as loved as classic RE protagonists, but I love Ethan and his defining trait of being a normal guy who is completely over the spooky things happening around him.

That’s absolutely why I hated the “twist” at the end of 8. It undermines all of that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Miles Morales if you complete the enemy base mission chain you unlock a suit made of the same shape changing material one of the bad guy gangs uses. Most of the time it just looks neat but when you do takedowns (which are scripted animations) it does stuff like grow the Iron Spider legs out of his back to beat up an enemy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

In Miles Morales if you complete the enemy base mission chain you unlock a suit made of the same shape changing material one of the bad guy gangs uses. Most of the time it just looks neat but when you do takedowns (which are scripted animations) it does stuff like grow the Iron Spider legs out of his back to beat up an enemy.

Oh man, I can't wait for you to get the costume for completing the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

That’s absolutely why I hated the “twist” at the end of 8. It undermines all of that

Eh, not really. Resident Evil 8 spoiler: Ethan is so completely committed to being an everyman that as soon as he finds out he has super powers he immediately dies

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

Eh, not really. Resident Evil 8 spoiler: Ethan is so completely committed to being an everyman that as soon as he finds out he has super powers he immediately dies

I mean not really,
he has had superpowers the entire time (his wolverine healing factor, the way he literally cannot die) - he just didn’t know it and the player doesn’t either because of video game logic. The whole thing feels like a lovely retcon. Some writer trying to be clever.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Frank Frank posted:

I mean not really,
he has had superpowers the entire time (his wolverine healing factor, the way he literally cannot die) - he just didn’t know it and the player doesn’t either because of video game logic. The whole thing feels like a lovely retcon. Some writer trying to be clever.

It's kind of fanfic-y in a sense.
He was dead the whole time *wOOooOo*

I'm also kinda tired of seeing this trope (RE8 ending spoilers) of the hero nobly sacrificing himself for whatever reason. At this point, it might be a bigger twist to end a game without a twist.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's kind of fanfic-y in a sense.
He was dead the whole time *wOOooOo*

I'm also kinda tired of seeing this trope (RE8 ending spoilers) of the hero nobly sacrificing himself for whatever reason. At this point, it might be a bigger twist to end a game without a twist.

It’s literally the
and then John was the demons ending and it’s lame as heck.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
RE8: He’s also probably not dead, he’s in the final cutscene way out in the distance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dewgy posted:

RE8: He’s also probably not dead, he’s in the final cutscene way out in the distance.

:stare:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Dewgy posted:

I feel like that was a fan theory and not confirmed but I haven’t paid any attention to that series since I beat 8 a while back. Iirc I thought it was just some Umbrella stooge watching her

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Dewgy posted:

I've always interpreted that as he was part of Rose, and seeing him was a hallucination, similar to how Mia could see Evie in 7. So he's there, but not physically, and only visible for Rose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dude was atomized by a bomb intended to kill a monster the size of a skyscraper a few hundred yards away

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Frank Frank posted:

No it doesn't. Ethan is still a normal guy, to the point where even when he isn't human, and is just his consciousness in a mold body, he's still a normal guy whose chief concern is reducing his daughter and being a dad. At no point does he change who he is because of what he can do, the only thing it does is allow him to power through what would kill someone. The only difference between what he would've done otherwise is that he would've simply died in the attempt.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ethan is a generic white guy so boring he's literally faceless, I really don't get why people find him interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dude moves heaven and earth to save his wife and kid even though he's just some dude. He's a madlad and an inspiration

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The only fun about Ethan is how he's so overwhelmed that nothing seems to phase him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hel posted:

Ethan is a generic white guy so boring he's literally faceless, I really don't get why people find him interesting.

This comment is always pretty funny to me because if he was wearing gloves to protect his hands you wouldn't even be able to tell he is white. It's just people clinging to something about the guy to crap on. Ethan is a simple character executed well with a complete arc and it is a huge breath of fresh air in a series with Chris Redfield.

Edit; they do show his chin sometimes. Point is he is genuinely intentionally, very intentionally not the character type you're complaining about, he's the opposite

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jun 24, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hel posted:

It’s literally because he’s boring and not a member of a super secret anti-bio weapon task force who can inexplicably bunch boulders in two

Ethan is the first(?) attempt at a self-insert protagonist and I think it works to a degree (although I still hate what RE8 did with him). In 7 he’s Ash Williams

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I still like Leon more, who is a guy who spent his every waking moment after his first zombie outbreak workshopping badass action movie one liners in case it ever happened again

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

This comment is always pretty funny to me because if he was wearing gloves to protect his hands you wouldn't even be able to tell he is white. It's just people clinging to something about the guy to crap on. Ethan is a simple character executed well and it is a huge breath of fresh air in a series with Chris Redfield.

It's not really a breath of fresh air to go back to a generic guy when it comes as the series backs off from being one of the rare ones with female protagonists over 30 years old. And the dad caring about his daughter enough to willingly go through hell, was already done with Barry Burton in Revelations 2. Especially since Ethan is the only character to get two numbered games in a row with focus on him, even Chris had to share RE6 with 3 other campaigns and their main characters. It's not just about Ethan, it's also the pattern.

Frank Frank posted:

It’s literally because he’s boring and not a member of a super secret anti-bio weapon task force who can inexplicably bunch boulders in two

Ethan is the first(?) attempt at a self-insert protagonist and I think it works to a degree (although I still hate what RE8 did with him). In 7 he’s Ash Williams

Instead he shares the position of family member of a bio weapons terrorist/merchant/inventor with a lot of other RE main characters, who can inexplicably heal from everything. And it's not like Claire was part of some anti-bio weapons task force in RE2.

It's the wrong thread so I'm not going to go further but he really killed any interest I have in modern RE.
It does however make me like Revelations 2 a lot more, since it made Barry Burton interesting and had him not come of as the generic angry and violent dad games dad, by actually making him likable and respectful of his daughters. Also the implication that he tells everyone the "Jill Sandwich" joke is the best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did like Revelations 2 a lot but again the characters you mentioned were in games in this series when I was four years old. Maybe it's time to stop transforming them and move onto new characters?

edit: I will agree that Revelations 2 has some of the strongest characterization of the recent games because of new characters like Moira. I hope she returns someday. It did also cap off Barry's characterization wonderfully.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jun 24, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Frank Frank posted:

I still love that this meme got a shoutout in RE8 (and in the Japanese version they shouted out a different Japan-specific Chris meme)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like the way RE seems to be making an attempt not to die the same death as Silent Hill. Keep the themes, avoid the repetition in the act of implementing them. Each recent game starting post RE6, I'd say, has had some element focused around passing the torch. In my opinion it stands for keeping the series itself alive on more than just excellent remakes of games that are 15-ish years old.

edit: vvv In that way we concur because I do feel like they've tried hard to be transformative and link together, even in 7/8. We'll just have to see in the next ~5 years or so whether they go with Rose or Moira as the one wielding twin uzi's/crowbars on the box art of RE: Revelations 3.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Jun 24, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

I did like Revelations 2 a lot but again the characters you mentioned were in games in this series when I was four years old. Maybe it's time to stop transforming them and move onto new characters?

edit: I will agree that Revelations 2 has some of the strongest characterization of the recent games because of new characters like Moira. I hope she returns someday. It did also cap off Barry's characterization wonderfully.

This is why I really like RE5-6 and the Revelations sub series, because they did introduce more new characters (though the comic relief guys in Revelations 1 suck a whole lot). And why I was sad to see that after that female primary playable characters were only allowed in remakes of games set when they were young, and the new games turned into the boring white guy show with Ethan and Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blacksad: Under the Skin:
https://i.imgur.com/i4CN55X.mp4
I think it's neat you can play Blacksad as a communist.