Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Torrannor posted:

The Stormlight Archive covers are quite well done imho. I also have a soft spot for the Warbreaker cover, to be honest.

The Stormlight covers are by Michael Whelan who's pretty much the biggest name in Fantasy/scifi cover art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Looks like a Dresden Files cover.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

The Stormlight covers are by Michael Whelan who's pretty much the biggest name in Fantasy/scifi cover art.

The Way of Kings cover is the best I think. Super weird and evocative. Is it supposed to represent a specific scene or event in the book?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

drat that marasi cover is way better

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Paddyo posted:

The Way of Kings cover is the best I think. Super weird and evocative. Is it supposed to represent a specific scene or event in the book?

It is. Do you recognize the figure on the cover?

Hmm, seems like I'm mistaken. I'll need to do more research.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's totally a scene where Kaladin, or maybe one of the Kholins? kinda salutes / shares a moment with a Parshendi across a chasm in the book. The art just doesn't use the correct cloak color

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 31, 2022

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Sanderson made a post on reddit about the cover design:

Brando Sando posted:

The problem is not that the covers are bland. The problem is that book series take a long time to write.

When we repackaged Mistborn in 2007, this was the hot style. (When we picked this same style but with a different artist for elantris in 2005, it was right at the revolutionary point where these photo-realistic covers were hugely striking on the shelf.) You might not have liked it even then, but trust me when I say it was a very trendy and original style.

However, visual art tends change far faster than literary trends. So covers of a series grow outdated fast. In 2010, when we we're covering Alloy, this style was still hot enough. But then it became so hot it grew stale.

[...]

One of the issues here is that the U.S. market prefers visually eye popping styles that are more illustrative, but then get outdated faster. While more iconographic styles like the UK uses tend to last longer but never be as dynamic. I know a lot of you prefer those styles, but they can get very bland. (If safe and stable. See the UK wheel of time covers.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Torrannor posted:

The Stormlight Archive covers are quite well done imho.

That's because Michael Whelan is one of the best cover artists in the world. He's do SO MANY amazing covers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This got me trying to figure out the official story of the cover art, and I just found the Hungarian artwork and it owns so hard:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that does a good job communicating to readers that these people live in Crab Hell

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Didn’t know the Stormlight Archive was Brandon’s take on Vana'diel

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

This got me trying to figure out the official story of the cover art, and I just found the Hungarian artwork and it owns so hard:

This is so much better then the other version it's stupid.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Way of Kings artwork is by far the best of all of his books IMO. Fantasy covers being "fantasy character dramatically looks at the camera" is so played out and corny, WoR and OB covers were quite weak because of this. WoK artwork is just a beautiful tapestry of an alien world and a high storm and an unidentifiable person facing away. It's composed way more naturally and will be much more timeless.

Mistborn Era 1 covers are pretty neat, they're at least more original and don't fall into cliches as hard. Mistorn Era 2 covers are just.... The worst, it's embarrassing. They look like YA mystery from the bargain bin at a bookstore, I don't know why they've stuck with this trend. Is it seriously because it gets more sales? :psyduck:

I mean look at how sick this is

Taffer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 31, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Wax/Wayne covers look like if the characters on the front of romance novels put on their clothes and were trying to stay away from each other.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I should really buy a print of that cover

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have been re-reading the Saga of Pliocene Exile, the series came out in the early 80's, but the style of the covers look absolutely ancient. I'm amazed that art styles can have changed so much in so little time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sab669 posted:

Or so you don't have to click Twitter:

.... who made this

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Meanwhile, I'm the audiobook listener that doesn't care what the book covers look like.

I also think the Warbreaker cover is lame.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Oasx posted:

I have been re-reading the Saga of Pliocene Exile, the series came out in the early 80's, but the style of the covers look absolutely ancient. I'm amazed that art styles can have changed so much in so little time.

There are different versions of the covers even in the states, my Nonborn King has Aiken Drum on a flying horse (I forget the name), but there’s a much more dated cover with him standing looking smug. I don’t know the deal with cover art except the authors have zero control over them. Charles Stross has a post about it here with regard to one of the most notoriously bad covers I’ve ever seen:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/03/cmap-6-why-did-you-pick-such-a.html

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Velius posted:

There are different versions of the covers even in the states, my Nonborn King has Aiken Drum on a flying horse (I forget the name), but there’s a much more dated cover with him standing looking smug. I don’t know the deal with cover art except the authors have zero control over them. Charles Stross has a post about it here with regard to one of the most notoriously bad covers I’ve ever seen:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/03/cmap-6-why-did-you-pick-such-a.html

It's stuff like this that just looks so odd in my opinion.

Not to derail the thread, but i'm really surprised that Saga of Pliocene Exile hasn't been picked up for a movie or tv treatment

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oasx posted:

It's stuff like this that just looks so odd in my opinion.

Not to derail the thread, but i'm really surprised that Saga of Pliocene Exile hasn't been picked up for a movie or tv treatment

God drat those are terrible. The 80s paperbacks I got were all Whelan covers.

I mean just look at this cover for The Nonborn King

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I thought the other half of that series - the Galactic Milieu series, set in the future half of the time loop - was the best when I was growing up. Alas, it was basically Catholic apologia when I picked it back up as an adult, although it has some neat ideas.

It did continue the tradition of atrocious cover art, though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's been a while since I read the Galactic Milieu series, I mostly remember it to be rather slow, but that may just be because of the first book.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Having read mistborn and stormlight archives (and re listening to stormlight on graphicaudio which was bas rear end as poo poo) one thing really stood out to me.

Is it me or does Sanderson really like to write about mental illness? In stormlight at least 6 major characters have diagnosable mental illnesses.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mikojan posted:

Is it me or does Sanderson really like to write about mental illness? In stormlight at least 6 major characters have diagnosable mental illnesses.

This is explicitly discussed in the text of the series. If you don’t remember that conversation, just wait. Or read this spoiler: Radiant spren appear to be drawn to “broken” individuals, drawing parallels to the kintsugi technique of Japanese pottery. There are lots of well-adjusted individuals on Roshar, we just don’t interact with them much because almost all our viewpoint characters are Knights Radiant, and therefore not neurotypical.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Grundulum posted:

This is explicitly discussed in the text of the series. If you don’t remember that conversation, just wait. Or read this spoiler: Radiant spren appear to be drawn to “broken” individuals, drawing parallels to the kintsugi technique of Japanese pottery. There are lots of well-adjusted individuals on Roshar, we just don’t interact with them much because almost all our viewpoint characters are Knights Radiant, and therefore not neurotypical.

To extend the above: Broken people have a broken "spirit web" that makes it easier for spren to attach, and for other magical systems to interact with them. Well-adjusted people can form bonds but it's more difficult because they're basically already complete. A notable case possibly being Adolin, who might end up using his spirit web to bond and heal Maya

In summary it's a conscious decision on Sanderson's part

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bada bing bada boom the characters are more interesting

and from my reading, it's less than the spirit web is broken and more that a cognitive or physical aspect of the person has deviated from the spiritweb template, leaving cracks that the spren can help fill

it seems like a narrative trick to turn each person's journey into power into a journey of a person and a little magical being learning how to become their best together

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 23, 2022

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Huh, I never got that from the books, must have glossed over it. I figured Sanderson must have had some sort of run in with illness either himself or by proxy and felt inspired to write about it in detail.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sanderson's mental/emotional state is, if anything, abnormally stable. Doesn't go as high or low as typical, in some interview he mentions it and says basically 'Wedding day, happiest day of my life. For most people that would be a 10 out of 10, but I just only ever can go up to 8'.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I hadn't connected the dots to the spren with that, but makes perfect sense to me now. The spoilers stuff gets called out pretty specifically in secret history.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Sanderson's mental/emotional state is, if anything, abnormally stable. Doesn't go as high or low as typical, in some interview he mentions it and says basically 'Wedding day, happiest day of my life. For most people that would be a 10 out of 10, but I just only ever can go up to 8'.

he has also directly said that his spouse has clinical depression, which is part of why people dealing with it is like a central theme in these books

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 24, 2022

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
He has said that the hardest things to write about were depression and being a battle field medic because both required him to do a significant amount of research on each before he felt right writing about them

Edit: I was slightly wrong. The question was what character required the most research https://wob.coppermind.net/events/39/#e455

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 24, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stormlight 5 delayed to 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Barreft posted:

Stormlight 5 delayed to 2024

Is there a source for this or just a hunch based on his Weekly Updates always being about the Secret Projects? I don't see anything on the various Sanderson subreddits, his website, or YouTube.

edit; Just notcied your Padan Fain avatar and it makes me want to re-watch WoT :(

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sab669 posted:

Is there a source for this or just a hunch based on his Weekly Updates always being about the Secret Projects? I don't see anything on the various Sanderson subreddits, his website, or YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Y-j4oVSiVmk

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:negative:

The man himself posted:

This is the year Hollywood came calling

I mean I guess of all the reasons to have it delayed, that would be my preferred one. But still a little bit of a bummer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

interesting that he says the main reason for the delay is because Hollywood has been way more interested recently, not because it's writing delays

also tbh it's hard to be too disappointed when we're getting a new cosmere book every three months during that period

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 17, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Only" 3 of the 4 secret novels are Cosmere. But yea that's a good point, between Wax & Wayne and all of those secret projects coming out I guess there won't be any shortage of things to read in the meantime.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Skyward 4 next year too. I'd laugh if Hollywood goes for reckoners or skyward as a movie series before mistborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Skyward is much better than reckoners, and probably adapts well to TV.