Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

give gitmo back to cuba and then send them to gitmo

why do you want them to have better healthcare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah it seems like Thomas is gearing up to take on substantive due process directly, it wouldn’t be just limited to those three cases either. Everything would be on the table.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a good rundown of substantive due process thats not law school drivel?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Antonymous posted:

Here's an insane list of hundreds of times a newer supreme court decided an older supreme court was wrong

https://constitution.congress.gov/resources/decisions-overruled/
the oldest one here was a decision that lasted all of 2 years :lmao:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Yeah it seems like Thomas is gearing up to take on substantive due process directly, it wouldn’t be just limited to those three cases either. Everything would be on the table.

But first he's gonna make weed legal for everyone like in his dissent from 20 years ago in Raich

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i know they are pointless, but are there even any protests anywhere? it feels like everyone is just depressed and dejected and has given up entirely

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ardennes posted:

It would be cool if the Supreme Court just overturned literally everything in the name of the Republican ideal of "a government small enough you could drown it in a bathtub"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

It would be cool if the Supreme Court just overturned literally everything in the name of the Republican ideal of "a government small enough you could drown it in a bathtub"

Supreme Court overturns the Bill of Rights because it wasn't originally part of the Constitution (except the Second Amendment which was handed down on stone tablets by God)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Stereotype posted:

i know they are pointless, but are there even any protests anywhere? it feels like everyone is just depressed and dejected and has given up entirely

I went to one and they dismissed promptly at like 7:00PM

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I imagine there were impromptu protests in most major cities and there will be more over the weekend. But since there will be no [REDACTED], they'll accomplish nothing, the news cycle will move on, and in two months blue checks will be smugly posting at teenagers in red states that their parents should have voted for Hilary.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Stereotype posted:

I haven't gone looking but these are recent on my feed

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1540495065386303488

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1540496562396094465

https://twitter.com/colpeoplespress/status/1540495795002163200

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kit Walker posted:

you could probably get me to support this as long as we actually got to drown them in the bathtub at the end

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

https://twitter.com/CourtyardBrew/status/1540481350322503683

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Stereotype posted:

it is gonna be all the same people that were at the various womens marches from the last 6 years and accomplished nothing. they will continue doing all of that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have a coworker that’s out at a protest in the Bay Area and I feel bad for her because I’m sure she’s got to realize at this point that it won’t make a bit of difference but there’s also nothing else she can do.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
so is facebook still the main platform for tracking upcoming protests, because fuuuck I do not want to ever open facebook again

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

order in the court thread lol

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

fosborb posted:

why do you want them to have better healthcare?
lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/demisatyr/status/1540352708523196416

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Venomous posted:

the US was a mistake

Europe was a mistake

the past millennium has just been a massive mistake.

Shear Modulus posted:

the natives should have let the plymouth colonists starve to death

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ycEW-PLPs

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

skooma512 posted:

*you literally trying to get people to vote

Well obviously you all just didn't vote :smug:

hillary clinton got more votes than trump which means she is the real president but also not enough people voted for her and it's their fault

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Stereotype posted:

it feels like everyone is just depressed and dejected and has given up entirely

:yeah:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I have a coworker that’s out at a protest in the Bay Area and I feel bad for her because I’m sure she’s got to realize at this point that it won’t make a bit of difference but there’s also nothing else she can do.

I've been having my poo poo kicked in since OWS and despite failing time after time, direct action is still doing better than nothing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
as a note there is nothing in this decision that stops a federal ban from being enacted. there are also lots of state extradition agreements that are about to be pretty troublesome and i wonder what will happen to some of these big companies who are saying they will openly flaunt the laws of the state they operate in.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

I've been having my poo poo kicked in since OWS and despite failing time after time, direct action is still doing better than nothing.

standing around holding a sign and singing songs isn't direct action lmao

Morbus
May 18, 2004

if the first rule of your direct action isn't "don't get caught" you're doing it wrong.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Morbus posted:

it's Morbin' time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

as a note there is nothing in this decision that stops a federal ban from being enacted. there are also lots of state extradition agreements that are about to be pretty troublesome and i wonder what will happen to some of these big companies who are saying they will openly flaunt the laws of the state they operate in.

they'll say that they will pay for peoples' travel to the extent compliant with applicable law

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

so is facebook still the main platform for tracking upcoming protests, because fuuuck I do not want to ever open facebook again

Twitter if that’s any less offensive to you

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

at least the ayatollahs claim to be in communication w/ the Occluded twelfth imam or something, thats way cooler than having seances with Thomases Jeffersons Ghost

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don't understand what possible things the court thinks the 14th amendment refers to?

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

it's just vague to the point of meaninglessness. It's been used to ensure that people can freely travel between states, and no one has to worry that they'll get arrested for something that is legal in their state and legal nationally, but illegal in a specific state. According to this ruling if Florida decided that they could detain any pregnant women and prevent them from leaving the state, under the pretense that they are preventing an illegal abortion from happening, there is nothing any other state can do to get their resident back short of invading Florida, which would be a civil war. The 14th amendment was written directly after the civil war because it prevented this exact type of thing, where states became so dissimilar in their laws that a resident of New York could be arrested in Alabama for something legal in New York, functionally preventing entry. Could Utah just make a law against and arrest people with tattoos? Is getting a tattoo or any sort of body modification a "fundamental right spelled out in the constitution?"

With this ruling the 14th amendment is effectively dead and I see no reason why we don't rapidly lose the ability to legally travel to a bunch of states without fear of imprisonment or even death, and that's sort of how civil wars start.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol remember when obama + dems had a super majority and said they were sort of ok with gay marriage but its up to states rights and refused to legalize it and it took loving a dumb republican chudge to go "eh i guess its ok for the gays to get married idk" and libs suddenly took credit for that years afterwards pretending to be the party who legalized gay marriage

obergefell is dead very soon

thanks dems

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I expect that companies that moved HQs to red states for tax incentives are going to have to reconsider whether that's still financially viable if their employees don't want to live there anymore

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

speng31b posted:

I expect that companies that moved HQs to red states for tax incentives are going to have to reconsider whether that's still financially viable if their employees don't want to live there anymore

won't be a problem when it is banned nationally next year

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

won't be a problem when it is banned nationally next year

yeah

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

speng31b posted:

Why would they care? :thunk: They bankroll most of the GOP (and Democratic) ghouls that are cool with it and pinkwash, etc. to give themselves a PR veneer of being 'inclusive' and 'giving a poo poo' about anything but the accumulation of more wealth/capital.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

speng31b posted:

this country is up on cinderblocks, no one gives a poo poo about any of this anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Why would they care? :thunk: They bankroll most of the GOP (and Democratic) ghouls that are cool with it and pinkwash, etc. to give themselves a PR veneer of being 'inclusive' and 'giving a poo poo' about anything but the accumulation of more wealth/capital.

They'll care only if it impacts their bottom line, which it might in some cases. Mostly thinking about the big tech shits migrating from Cali to Texas, silicon hills bullshit