Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
death note was so far over the top that there is a lot of room in the death note lite category. certainly nothing wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah. I thought this has been the best chapter so far. Really set the protagonist up to feel pretty smart with a great antagonist to play off of. It definitely feels like Death Note lite, but it’s not a bad thing.

Agreed. We seem to have our three primary characters right now in Q, Zenichiro, and Nagi. I did not expect Zenichiro to just expose himself like that, and for him to also have two Owner Subordinates.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Great setup chapter for the finals. It's interesting to see how different characters approach Akane's use of Jugemu for her chosen act; the freeform-using prodigy looks down on her for using a traditional and rigid act, the VA who's built Akane to be an unstoppable threat in her mind thinks Akane's flaunting (perhaps not the right word) her innate advantages, the teacher who's new to the whole rakugo thing is just impressed by Akane's skill without understanding how beginner-level the Jugemu act is, and the pretty boy recognizes that her starting act is setting up for her act in the finals. Also, the big man is finally here! Really excited to see the next few chapters!

Aliens Area: Whacky teammates and compulsory newbie hazing, standard shounen fare. Also if they wanted to recruit the kid why didn't they lead with "Join us and we'll make sure you can provide for your siblings."

Elusive Samurai: Poor dude is so overshadowed that the author even fuckin' brings in his historical advisors to jam the knife in even deeper. Also wow, the Kokushi really is a visionary, dude's fuckin' inventing stuff from centuries in the future.

Mashle: Wow the jobber squad jobbed instantly without being able to do anything to their opponents. Who could have seen that coming. And now our MCs are gonna, uh, beat these unstoppable opponents in their first year of school. I thought I was reading Mashle, not My Hero Academia. (I am not reading My Hero Academia.)

Roboco: Standard chapter, it's okay.

Ruri Dragon: Still good! Very chill, it's funny how everyone's just fuckin' accepting the whole dragon thing and how the grandma knew about Ruri's dragon ancestry.

Sakamoto Days: Shin pretty much explains how I feel in that I'm really excited for this assassin school stuff! I guess since Shin pretty much spent most of his life in a lab, he never really had a normal school experience! Though then again, not like the JCC is a normal school. But still. Also a dude from the past is here!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope the dad in Ruri Dragon looks as cool as he did in the one shot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I hope the dad in Ruri Dragon looks as cool as he did in the one shot.

His shadowy outline suggests that's going to be the case.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like ruri's grandma

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sakamoto kinda hot ngl

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like ruri's grandma

"If anyone gives you poo poo just put your head down and run right at them" is powerful life advice.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Sakamoto kinda hot ngl

You're on his shitlist now, fucker, for leering at his wife.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Earthchild's chapter is even more garbage and poorly-thought out than usual.

- Albert, who's supposed to have lost most of his power as an Earthchild, is somehow managing to keep himself and the main guy flying just slightly slower than Kareri's orbital speed. Even with this taking place in zero-G, that sounds improbable considering we saw Albert could barely push one person that's near to him.
- In the hands of a more competent writer, it might make a point about how Albert is being near-suicidal in his desire to help the family. That he's too traumatized by his past that he's pushing the main guy to break the Earthchild curse even if it kills both of them. But no, he's being presented as someone heroic.
- Maybe I missed it being mentioned in an earlier chapter, but I guess Kareri's power recharges if she gets in close physical proximity to her husband now? I get that this is trying to go for the standard power of love shonen thing, but even this feels like a complete asspull.
- :lol: that the author's "victory condition" for this scenario is to have Kareri enter the atmosphere at reentry speed, while the two doofuses use parachutes. Surely Kareri won't shatter to pieces when she crash-lands, or the other two will burn to a crisp.
- Shouldn't Albert's head have a hole now from getting grazed by space dust? They mentioned before that the meteor shower's speed was 250,000 km/hour. Not to mention that a few pages later, we see the main guy's hand have a hole blasted on his hand by a stray pebble from the meteor shower.
- The main thing that bugs me about this chapter is how the main focus on what saves Kareri is how she and her hubby love each other. You would think that since this manga has been about saving the mom so they can be a complete family again, that the thing that would inspire Kareri is a future where she's there to raise her kid, but no, Mamoru's a complete afterthought. Kareri's big moment that makes her move has her go, "I wanna go on a date with my husband -> I wanna take our baby outside -> I wanna hold hands with my guy!"

It's a huge mess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone else fill in the mangaplus survey? I liked about the illegal site I used and asked 3 times for fist of the north star

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Earthchild's chapter is even more garbage and poorly-thought out than usual.

- Albert, who's supposed to have lost most of his power as an Earthchild, is somehow managing to keep himself and the main guy flying just slightly slower than Kareri's orbital speed. Even with this taking place in zero-G, that sounds improbable considering we saw Albert could barely push one person that's near to him.
- In the hands of a more competent writer, it might make a point about how Albert is being near-suicidal in his desire to help the family. That he's too traumatized by his past that he's pushing the main guy to break the Earthchild curse even if it kills both of them. But no, he's being presented as someone heroic.
- Maybe I missed it being mentioned in an earlier chapter, but I guess Kareri's power recharges if she gets in close physical proximity to her husband now? I get that this is trying to go for the standard power of love shonen thing, but even this feels like a complete asspull.
- :lol: that the author's "victory condition" for this scenario is to have Kareri enter the atmosphere at reentry speed, while the two doofuses use parachutes. Surely Kareri won't shatter to pieces when she crash-lands, or the other two will burn to a crisp.
- Shouldn't Albert's head have a hole now from getting grazed by space dust? They mentioned before that the meteor shower's speed was 250,000 km/hour. Not to mention that a few pages later, we see the main guy's hand have a hole blasted on his hand by a stray pebble from the meteor shower.
- The main thing that bugs me about this chapter is how the main focus on what saves Kareri is how she and her hubby love each other. You would think that since this manga has been about saving the mom so they can be a complete family again, that the thing that would inspire Kareri is a future where she's there to raise her kid, but no, Mamoru's a complete afterthought. Kareri's big moment that makes her move has her go, "I wanna go on a date with my husband -> I wanna take our baby outside -> I wanna hold hands with my guy!"

It's a huge mess.
It...had its moments?
Albert is basically a walking plot device, his power is always exactly as strong as it needs to be. Still, I can't help but laugh the way they keep strapping people to Earth Childeren to make them fly around.
Can you even use a parachute to drop down to Earth from space?
I will say one thing though, at this point I only expect everyone to survive because the author is a hack. But I just can't be certain that's what's going to happen. It's such a chaotic mess.
I don't think Katagiri actually said she was getting her power back, but more how he keeps talking about how the actual power is the family? :psyduck: And that probably translates to that somehow? But then, what does he know anyway.
And then he took off his helmet in space.:allears:
This is the best trainwreck.

Ruridragon: Honestly feels like we could've done another chapter on her fire breathing "training"? It felt flat how it was basically "oh, you sneezed and this time fire came out. Done. You have full control now." :psyduck:
But hey, Grandma's are filled with the wisdom of the ages

Sakamoto: This chapter was great. Invisible guy, Shin reading manga to learn about school life, everyone leering at Sakamoto's wife. The legendary sharpshooter guy with a bird. :allears: I guess the worst thing is, there's not much to talk about because it's so perfectly entertaining.

Undead: That's cool. You know, what kind of power would unbelieveable be?
I wonder what the trick to moving was. I assume he just ripped off his skin again.

Mashle: Well, at least we didn't waste chapters upon chapters on guys who were going out in seconds. And we got some really cool artwork out of it.
And the last joke of the monster made me laugh. Also, Adam Jobs. :allears:

Super Smartphone: Death note lite indeed and that's praise.

Witch Watch: I love these chapters so much :allears:
Like the hairy cloak and the student president monster arm.

Doron: Ooh! Stakes!

Jose posted:

Anyone else fill in the mangaplus survey? I liked about the illegal site I used and asked 3 times for fist of the north star

I need to logon and I don't feel like logging in, but do want to fill it out. :(

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 20, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I love the Manga shin was reading was titled "sakamiti days" (something along those lines).

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Aliens Area: Whacky teammates and compulsory newbie hazing, standard shounen fare. Also if they wanted to recruit the kid why didn't they lead with "Join us and we'll make sure you can provide for your siblings."

The stench of death is already heavy on this one. So the secret base is 13 floors underground behinf TWO locked doors? Come the gently caress on. That is just so so boring. Do anything more than that. ANYTHING.

I liked the guy in the aquarium thing. More of that of GTFO.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I cringed at the part in Ruridragon where she breathes fire and it just completely hosed up her mouth, that's gotta hurt.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Yomi no Tsugai
I do agree that we've gotten really chummy with the people that slaughtered a village of civilians for really no reason.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ch. 4 of Gash 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how is the Gash sequel so far?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hell yeah

Also lol at the bad guys clearly trying to do the Akira Slide only to gently caress it up and fall down a cliff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I've been enjoying it so far, but at 4 chapters it's hard to make call either way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

"Kept you waiting...huh?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i found it hard to follow this chapter, as though there were pages missing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Read it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
MarriagexToxin - The latest opponent is carrying a strangely shaped backpack...

I think it's a grand piano, and I hope his assassination style is to drop it on people.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So a new series launched called Make the Exorcist Fall in Love and whoo boy is the first chapter something.
Gore warning because we go from 0 to :black101: real fast.

Guess SJ is trying to promote romance in very weird ways. But at least the entirely predictable plot twist of Lilith being the current tempress isn't hidden for long.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1539386430690033665?s=20&t=kYDJX3XMEte0cYGKveJDqA

Replies are saying there's been a leak that Mashle's getting an anime, which seems likely now with this.

Also in case anyone missed it over in the Chainsaw Man thread, Part 2 is starting July 13th in Jump+

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1539386430690033665?s=20&t=kYDJX3XMEte0cYGKveJDqA

Replies are saying there's been a leak that Mashle's getting an anime, which seems likely now with this.

Also in case anyone missed it over in the Chainsaw Man thread, Part 2 is starting July 13th in Jump+

Oh hell yeah.

Also with the sequel to Gash Bell going I wonder if there's any interest to redo the anime. Would love to see the actual ending to the Fado Arc and the Grand Magic Games animated.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

So a new series launched called Make the Exorcist Fall in Love and whoo boy is the first chapter something.

Guess SJ is trying to promote romance in very weird ways. But at least the entirely predictable plot twist of Lilith being the current tempress isn't hidden for long.

The first chapter of this was extremely offputting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

It also got from 0 to Real PDQ too.

One of those times where the violence absolutely has a point to it.

That said, I wonder if "Master" isn't (wasn't?) Satan in some form or other.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the 1st chapter goes a bit too hard on the edginess. Thankfully it gets much better as it goes. It's unofficially translated up to Ch 18 by the way, the official translation will probably take a few months to catch up. I assume we'll follow the same rules as other scanlated series that are picked up and clearly mark and spoiler unreleased chapter talk.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The series definitely caught my interest with the first two chapters, but I'm not entirely sure if the initial impression is more positive or negative. :v:

Still, I kinda want to see where it is going, so I'm tentatively on board for now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

Yeah the 1st chapter goes a bit too hard on the edginess. Thankfully it gets much better as it goes. It's unofficially translated up to Ch 18 by the way, the official translation will probably take a few months to catch up. I assume we'll follow the same rules as other scanlated series that are picked up and clearly mark and spoiler unreleased chapter talk.

Eh, agree to disagree. It absolutely goes in really hard but I feel that it's there to illustrate a) Demons are loving dangerous and b) Despite that and the fact that they don't explode into cuthuluoids, the church isn't much better.

That said "Leviticus 26:29" worked pretty drat well at what it was trying to achieve without being visualy disgusting.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 22, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh hell yeah.

Also with the sequel to Gash Bell going I wonder if there's any interest to redo the anime. Would love to see the actual ending to the Fado Arc and the Grand Magic Games animated.

norio wakamoto is mostly retired so what would even be the point?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seems to be confirmed!

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1540619591461720065?t=ChP8qVmtQirWPsAcaDYbzQ&s=19

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Earthchild - this might be the first chapter I actually liked, so hopefully we're done with this series after next week.

Witch Watch - I like the teacher/student chapters, but they feel so disconnected from the rest of the series that it might as well be its own manga.

Sakamoto Days - I feel Sakamoto has shown more emotion disguised as his wife than he has the entire series.

Ruridragon - continues to be cute.

Aliens Area - continues to be boring

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man I was actively cheering reading blue box today, what a great series.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Shinji2015 posted:

Sakamoto Days - I feel Sakamoto has shown more emotion disguised as his wife than he has the entire series.

I felt the same, I wonder if the author is doing it on purpose. The coreography is great as always though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would buy and wear any of the shirts in this week's Roboco.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Bio Organic Weapon Ruri: I think this will fill the Magu chan hole in my heart nicely.

Mashle: Still pretty funny, but I think I'm ready to move on from Namek now. But I assume it's now time for Mash's friends to step in first?

Earth Child:
An actual spoiler for once so if you still want to try this trainwreck, don't read it.
I didn't expect dad to croak. If he doesn't get back up next one I'll be very impressed.

Also, this made me laugh. Katagiri can't believe he's lost his best friend? I guess?
I'm also not a fan of the panel composition here, but part of that may be fed from the underbaked characters. IT feels like Katagiri's comments could've come from Kareri and those word clouds could've come from Katagiri was well.

Also remember the dangerous dust storm that took out Albert and was going to destroy the space station? If yes, you have a better memory than the author.
These people are all so selfish. Kareri is literally, I want to come back to Reisuke can praise me more.

Sakamoto: I love the choreo in this series. Invisible dude was cool. The way lunch works is ridiculous and I love it.

Undead Unluck: :black101:

Doron: Characters are this series strong suit as we're just introduced to a bunch of weirdos most of which I immediately like. I'm also enjoying the dynamic between Dora and Kusanagi. Dora was immediately worried about losing Kusanagi, but Kusanagi has his eyes on his promise instead.

Super Smartphone: Is wasting no time.
I also can't stop laughing at how tiny those super phones are. How the heck do they even type on those things.

Witch Watch, we'd better get a new Uron Mirage out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Loving the Earthchild artist's dedication to drawing space wife's fat rear end whenever possible. At least when it happened in Dr. Stone there was interesting writing around it to distract me.

Agreed on the Roboco shirts, those were great. I hope the exclusive Shonen Jump merchandise store is paying attention!!!!!