Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Angelico is still with AEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Science of Suck posted:

yeah friend, that’s the poo poo i crave! kobra moon is blowing my mind, had no idea that was her.

since you asked about central TX indies, Thunder Rosa also owns Mission Pro Wrestling which regularly runs shows in that area

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Science of Suck posted:

yeah friend, that’s the poo poo i crave! kobra moon is blowing my mind, had no idea that was her.

joey ryan did some poo poo? sad to hear. i gather quackenbush did something too which is another heartbreaker. gonna have to look up details at some point but it’s hard when it’s such a recent disappointment

If you want to know the general details:

Joey Ryan: Multiple accusations of sexual assault and harassment, attempted to sue his accusers, tried to pivot into being a reformed Christian grifter after. UPDATE: https://twitter.com/mr_gq_cantu/status/1540835978150936576?s=21&t=cIAySleF0EIRAFd22sFDlg

Quackenbush: Allegations that he and other people running Chikara were abusive and inappropriate towards wrestlers, as well as
Allegations of numerous homophobic and sexist remarks.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 26, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Any particular reason Naito isnt going to forbidden door? Or is it the usual, they dont want him/he didnt want to kinda thing. I was really hoping for a tranquilo on a pole match with Andrade or something.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Defenestrategy posted:

Any particular reason Naito isnt going to forbidden door? Or is it the usual, they dont want him/he didnt want to kinda thing. I was really hoping for a tranquilo on a pole match with Andrade or something.

He had eye surgery that he just recently came back from. I don't think there were any plans to use him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Andrade isn’t allowed on the card because CMLL told NJPW no and if you can’t have a great big Ingobernables gathering then what’s the point, really

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If they'd been able to do Andrade vs Ospreay as planned, OC vs Naito coulda been fun

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Benne posted:

He had eye surgery that he just recently came back from. I don't think there were any plans to use him.

Did..did he open his eye too much or....?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

King Cuerno: Now Santos Escobar in NXT.
If there's one former LU guy who AEW needs to steal from WWE, it's Cuerno.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Angelico is still with AEW
Yeah, Jack Evans sounded like he wasn't satisfied with his own work, but I'm not sure if it was just a non-renewal or if he didn't want to re-sign. Dude's always been his own worst critic.

Angelico was injured for a while with an ACL tear, then he came back for a few weeks after HFO switched to AFO. But now that AFO seems to be dissolved in favor of Ingobernables, they either don't know what to do with him or he's going to re-debut with someone else. He also just got new merch this month, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 26, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, Jack Evans sounded like he wasn't satisfied with his own work, but I'm not sure if it was just a non-renewal or if he didn't want to re-sign. Dude's always been his own worst critic.

Yea, it's a shame, I watch him stream every now and again and he seems like such a chill bro. He's still taking bookings and stuff, so who knows, hopefully we'll get a TH2 reunion down the line if he and angelico stay healthy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Evans took a really bad botch bump a weekend or two back on a GCW show which resulted in him cancelling some appearances.

https://twitter.com/Aregularindyfan/status/1538322834749022208

It doesn't show it, but basically Ninja Mack goes to pick him up, looks at Evans, and immediately pins him to end the match abruptly.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What muscles or training do I have to do, in order to do a Kip up?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I could never quite get it but when I was close I think it had more to do with flexibility and balance than muscles.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You could start by rolling up instead of kipping up. On your back, knees to chest, rolling from back to front and using that momentum when your feet hit the ground to stand yourself straight up. Kipping up is still very different and I can't do it, but it'll at least give you a sense of the balance you need.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Did..did he open his eye too much or....?

He had diplopia, caused by pressure on his right eyeball from “superior oblique muscle paralysis”.

Note: diplopia is the medical term for double vision. This was his second time having it taken care of, the previous time being November 2020, after working with it from May, through the summer tour (and now EVIL winning the double gold and them running with Hiromu vs EVIL before Naito coming back for Summer Struggle makes a lot more sense, does it not?), through the G1 tour, and then using the fact that he was not main eventing Power Struggle and at most was working tags on the WTL/BOSJ combo tour at the end of the year to get it taken care of.

And then it came back, worse this time. He worked the Dontaku match at the beginning of last month with it, and took time off because the BOSJ tour was filling the rest of the month’s calendar so he could recuperate. As of right now New Japan is especially cautious that the most popular single wrestler in the country not irreparably gently caress up his vision by jumping right back into the fray (that first surgery? He took twenty days off. And immediately was back to working big singles matches once he got cleared) too soon. So, he doesn’t get thrown onto a card where they’ve already got Okada and Tanahashi and Moxley and Ospreay and Suzuki and OC and FTR and O-Cobb and ZSJ and just about every other major New Japan and AEW star who hasn’t managed to slam into this or that particular injury or illness wall.

That said I guess he could have flown over and commiserated backstage with Kenny over how loving much it must suck to wrestle, especially the way they do, with extreme vision issues like diplopia and vertigo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Kobra Moon is now Thunder Rosa, the current AEW women's champion. She's gotten a million times better since LU and is now one of the best women's wrestlers working North America.

In fact, here's a quick rundown of all the big names from LU and where they are now.

Prince Puma/Ricochet: Got his WWE dream job and couldn't be more happy to be a Main Event superstar.

Johnny Mundo: Went back to WWE to be Miz's little buddy again, got released, is now working freelance with a couple of AEW shots.

Pentagon: AEW, former tag champs with Fenix. Currently doing a spin on his Pentagon Dark character as Penta Oscuro.

Fenix: AEW, former tag champs with Pentagon. One of the best wrestlers in the company when he's not injured every 4 months.

Matanza/Jeff Cobb: NJPW. Had a big breakout in 2020 when he joined United Empire and had a great G1. Japanese fans love them some beefy foreigners so he's in a cushy spot right now.

Mil Muertes: Mostly CMLL and a bunch of Mexican indies, basically the same thing he was doing before LU. Popped back up in MLW under the Mil Muertes name.

King Cuerno: Now Santos Escobar in NXT.

Brian Cage: Like most of Cage's career, he started off with a big push in AEW before fizzling out and becoming just another guy. Was seemingly on the way out, but is now in ROH as part of Tully Blanchard's new faction.

Sexy Star: Went back to AAA, got fired for shooting on Rosemary (long story), and is now retired for like the 3rd or 4th time. AAA has a new wrestler working under the Sexy Star gimmick.

Ivelisse: Got brought in to AEW as part of their women's tag tournament, quickly burned bridges for being an unporessional rear end in a top hat and pissing off the locker room, never got brought back. Now working SHINE, which is apparently still a thing.

Marty "The Moth" Martinez: Maybe semi-retired? He stepped away from wrestling for a while to deal with injuries and did just a couple of random indie shots since then. Worked some AEW Dark tapings last year but doesn't seem interested in signing.

Jake Hager: The last LU champion (lol) is Jericho's big dumb buddy in AEW. Nobody likes to admit it but he's been really good in his limited role.

Luchasaurus: AEW, former tag champs with Jungle Boy.

Taya: Went to WWE, got released less than a year later during the great NXT purge, now back in AAA and Impact.

Son of Havoc/Matt Cross: Somewhat surprisingly never got a look in AEW. Working MLW and a bunch of indies.

Jack Evans and Angelico: Two of the early AEW signees. Seemed like a fun tag team but for various reasons they never caught on and weren't offered new contracts.

Joey Ryan: We don't talk about Joey Ryan.

Here's Joey Ryan's current gimmick:

https://twitter.com/Mr_GQ_Cantu/status/1540835978150936576

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I worked in every indie fed
Made Hangman think I was dead
I kept a lollipop in my trunks and oil on my pecs
I flipped every wrestler that I could
By having them grab my wood
Got showcased on MTV's Wrestling Society X

Comedy champ for DDT
Got a reign in PWG
I knew the world was gonna love me, without a doubt
I was sure that Tony Khan would be callin' me on the phone
Everyone would be selling moves from my bone
But Speaking Out had come and gone
And I'm sorry to say that's not the way that it's all worked out
I'm a tour guide on the Jungle Cruise ride
Skipper Joe is the name
And I'm doing 34 shows every day
And every time it's the same

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Benne posted:

Prince Puma/Ricochet: Got his WWE dream job and couldn't be more happy to be a Main Event superstar.
10 years ago, I'd have said he deserved better. I know I've said it before but, holy goddamn, WWE is efficient in ruining people.

quote:

Sexy Star: Went back to AAA, got fired for shooting on Rosemary (long story), and is now retired for like the 3rd or 4th time. AAA has a new wrestler working under the Sexy Star gimmick.
She's dabbled in boxing and MMA since, mostly fighting what appears to be a bunch of cans. She got her poo poo wrecked in her most recent MMA fight, apparently.

quote:

Luchasaurus: AEW, former tag champs with Jungle Boy.
I didn't realise the Luchasaurus gimmick had been used for a while.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I didn't realise the Luchasaurus gimmick had been used for a while.

the gimmick started as Vibora in Lucha Underground and then he got killed off in the show by Taya

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

For most of my life I thought it was called a "kick up", which makes much more sense to me. Why is it called a Kip Up?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TV Zombie posted:

I don't know but the tip that helped me was to pretend like you were trying to headbutt yourself in the groin. It worked wonders and I never even came close to headbutting myself!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have any examples of botched 3 counts? Like a wrestler is concussed from a bad bump and then kicks out of something that was supposed to be a match ending fall?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have any examples of botched 3 counts? Like a wrestler is concussed from a bad bump and then kicks out of something that was supposed to be a match ending fall?

Sandman kicked out of several counts he wasn’t supposed to during that Fans Bring The Weapons match he had with Mick in ECW when Mick accidentally hit him with a cast iron frying pan. Mick just wanted to get the gently caress out of there, but Sandman kept rolling a shoulder up because it wasn’t the planned finish, which evidently was the ONLY spot he could remember in the moment

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I recall a ref got fired from the WWE because someone (my brain insists it was Miz) failed to kick out.

The Hardcore title match at WM2000 is one that comes to mind too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just remembered the time Shane kicked out of Roman spearing him out of a top rope move. Shane was on another planet and forgot the finish.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Gonna blame this post for the finish in the 4-way tonight.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I've never seen a Brett Hart match, what are some good matches to start with?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Bret The Buttman Fart

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bret Hart vs Tom Magee

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret vs Bulldog, 92
Bret vs Piper, 92
Bret vs Owen, WrestleMania X
Bret vs Bulldog, 95
Bret vs Austin, 96
Bret vs HBK, 97

All are extremely good.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ibexaz posted:

King of the Ring 93 is a good place to see Bret in his prime and how far superior he was to mostly everything around him.

If you're looking for one match his Piper match at WM8 is really good.

w/Owen at Mania X.

w/Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 91

w/Bulldog at Summerslam 92

Pretty much any Bret Hart match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ibexaz posted:

one of my favorite bret hart singles matches is bret vs perfect from summerslam 91. another just absolutely excellent and easy match to watch is his first match with steve austin in Survivor Series 1996.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

his match vs owen at wmX and vs steve austin at wm13 are probably his best ever singles matches.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

King of the Ring 93 is a good place to see Bret in his prime and how far superior he was to mostly everything around him.

KOTR is probably one of the all-time great individual performances on a WWF PPV.

quote:

w/Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 91

The KOTR93 match is superior, IMO.

Just putting together the Bret compilation, including the matches mentioned:

Singles
Bret Hart vs Ted DiBiase - Saturday Night's Main Event, 15/4/91
Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect - SummerSlam 91
Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper - WM8
Bret Hart vs British Bulldog - SummerSlam 92
Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - Survivor Series 92
Bret Hart vs Razor Ramon - Royal Rumble 93
Bret Hart vs Yokozuna - WrestleMania IX
Bret Hart at King of the Ring 93
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - WrestleMania X
Bret Hart vs Diesel - King of the Ring 94
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - SummerSlam 94
Bret Hart vs Diesel - Royal Rumble 95
Bret Hart vs Hakushi - IYH 1: Premiere
Bret Hart vs Jean-Pierre LaFitte - IYH 3: Triple Header
Bret Hart vs Diesel - Survivor Series 95
Bret Hart vs British Bulldog - IYH 5: Season's Beatings
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Survivor Series 96
Bret Hart vs Sid - IYH 12: It's Time
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin vs Vader vs Undertaker - IYH 13: Final Four
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - WrestleMania 13
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - IYH 14: Revenge of the Taker
Bret Hart vs Undertaker - SummerSlam97
Bret Hart vs Undertaker - One Night Only 97

Bret Hart vs Ric Flair - WCW Souled Out 98
Bret Hart vs DDP - WCW World War 3 1998
Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit - WCW Mayhem 99
Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit - WCW Nitro, 4/10/99

Tag Team matches

The Hart Foundation vs The Rockers - Saturday Night's Main Event, 23/4/90
The Hart Foundation vs Demolition - SummerSlam 90
The Hart Foundation vs The Nasty Boys - WrestleMania VII
Bret and Owen vs The Quebecers - Royal Rumble 94
The Hart Foundation vs Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust and the Legion of Doom - IYH 16: Canadian Stampede

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CommonShore posted:

Oh man, someone gets to hear the "gently caress on me" story for the first time.

https://youtu.be/eOm_a8XcYsk

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Pre-emptively posting this vid for people who want to know more about Kingston/Claudio beef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SX21cxOtag

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The Grey posted:

I meant "freak out" as in "Yes!!! Jay White is here!" While I am thinking "Who the hell is Jay White?"

I am always surprised by the crowd reaction that NJPW guys get and wish they would do vignettes to explain why they are a big deal.

If I am in the m in minority though and most fans know who they are, I will shut up about it.
The problem with making that a rationale is that no casual fan will ever be in a position to start watching any wrestling promotion. Their skulls will cave in after they are barraged with unfamiliar after unfamilar person as they futily ask "How much does this guy weigh?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

keithy george posted:

The problem with making that a rationale is that no casual fan will ever be in a position to start watching any wrestling promotion. Their skulls will cave in after they are barraged with unfamiliar after unfamilar person as they futily ask "How much does this guy weigh?"

Weighing in at…. Whatever

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If it's Bret vs Owen, it's gonna be good at worst. Same for Bret vs Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't seen it in years but it seems like there's a huge divide on Bret vs. Owen's cage match. I remember me and my grandma loved it through and through, but I've heard a lot of people, even huge Bret fans, insist it was way too obvious and dragged out.

But I really recommend it. Owen was the first heel I ever cheered for but as an adult I respect both of the Harts as all time greats.

Bret/Bulldog at IYH isn't as famous as their SummerSlam match but glad to see it getting so much love. One of the earliest matches I can ever remember seeing as a child. I think my other grandmother got it on PPV. (we couldn't afford that in my house)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 27, 2022