Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Raid 2 kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bust Rodd posted:

asking a rhetorical question in CineD was my first mistake, lol

I don't think the Winter Soldier is bad but there's really one great action scene (the knife fight in the street with Bucky) and it's mostly great because of the great choice in the score which features this electronic whine that gradually rises in pitch as the action accelerates, the context of the scene which is that Winter Soldier has been treated like a slasher assassin stalking through the whole movie and it's now time for a confrontation, and the fact that they just drop the power poo poo and CGI doubles and just have two ripped guys do the good choreography at each other.

To do a complete 180 from this, Dr. Strange's movie note fight is great because they just totally lean into the surrealism and comic book logic of it and start fighting with music notes, because hey it's magic and this is an excuse to do something wild. A lot of Marvel action exists in this weird space between the grounded- and story-driven action of Winter Soldier and the gonzo "look what we can do with special effects and fun ideas!" nonsense of Dr. Strange and they should just pick one because the middle ground where "the CGI double of Captain America leaps on to the CGI model of a shield Helicarrier and briefly becomes the real Chris Evans (on a greenscreen set) before turning back into a CGI puppet and doing another cool move" kind of sucks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s a great example of how Super-Hero stuff really needs civilians running around and screaming and office buildings collapsing and cars crashing into each other on a crowded bridge
Civil War weaponized cars before Fast 8 did, a true innovation in the big loud flashy action movie genre

Bedshaped posted:

The Winter Soldier doesn't really hold up today at all. There are maybe 3 memorable sequences (boat, elevator and winter soldier reveal) that I can recall and many really bad ones (apple, computer man, the last 30?? minutes)
Winter Soldierman holds up because there have been approximately 35,247 PG-13 marvel cinematic bland blockbuster superhero movies made since then and they still don't have better action

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Winter Soldierman holds up because there have been approximately 35,247 PG-13 marvel cinematic bland blockbuster superhero movies made since then and they still don't have better action

you don't have to watch the bad movies. there's no rule about it

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like every for fight scene in Winter Soldier is sick. I’m not saying it’s better than Predator or Terminator 2 or Fury Road or Raimi’s Spider-Man 2, I’m saying that in the grand scheme of movies, there are maybe a couple hundred truly amazing works of action movie cinema, and to me The Winter Soldier is one them. Out of the literal millions of films that exist, The Winter Soldier is one of the best action movies that exist.

The Raid 2 fuckin sucks and takes way too long to get anywhere and the 40 minute side story in act 3 about the homeless assassin is a pure vanity project that ruins the film. Not worth watching unless you’re an absolute diehard Muay Thai//martial arts addict. A good action movie also has to function as a movie, I don’t think an action movie is a good movie if you’d just skip through the boring plot parts on a rewatch, and I would absolutely not watch The Raid 2 again. Or honestly John Wick 2 and 3 again, same reasons.

muay thai?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DeimosRising posted:

you don't have to watch the bad movies. there's no rule about it
they're not necessarily bad, they're just bland, bad movies can be more interesting in fact

and it's nothing about having to watch them, it's just that they're the vast majority of action movies released these days, so that's the point of comparison

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
has anyone ever considered that, unless they're an art critic, they don't actually have to attain firsthand knowledge of what "the vast majority" of stuff is?

what i mean is like, i have no idea what "the vast majority" of soft rock or modern pop sound like, and wouldn't presume to talk about those genres. but movie people have to talk about everything, have to be like "there's too many hollywoods!!!" when like... it's all market presure and sipply and demand innit, who cares

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I would have never thought about it before the recent discussion here. Fast Five really might be better than any individual MCU film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best staged action scene I've seen in the MCU is actually the car chase from Civil War. Too bad about the entire second half of that movie.

The last Mission Impossible is definitely one of the best action films of the last 10 years, near the top. The bathroom fight sequence is just a top tier fight sequence on its own, then we have Cruise flying his own helicopter stunts and Jackie Chan breaking his foot doing stunts and it's just amazing.

Fast Five is also fantastic, and yes, way better than every MCU movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never loved winter soldier. The first cap is way better. It’s way more stylish and campy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

The best staged action scene I've seen in the MCU is actually the car chase from Civil War.

I had to try real hard to remember what even the car chase was from Civil War. I was like, I only remember the Fury scene from Winter Soldier lmao. Then I remembered from the Civil War trailer the scene of Cap and BP running in the underpass. That's the Civil War chase scene right? Lmao.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

best unstaged fight was pizza poppa and own hand

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I'm retaliating against all this Raid 2 slander (it's top 5) by dropping the harsh truth that everything in John Wick 1 after he kills the son and the Marcus/Perkins plotlines are wrapped up is kinda rear end. and yes I know this is the doctor strange thread and no I haven't seen it and yes I would like fries

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please don’t slander John wick, or the raid 2 in my thread thank you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

precision posted:

has anyone ever considered that, unless they're an art critic, they don't actually have to attain firsthand knowledge of what "the vast majority" of stuff is?

what i mean is like, i have no idea what "the vast majority" of soft rock or modern pop sound like, and wouldn't presume to talk about those genres. but movie people have to talk about everything, have to be like "there's too many hollywoods!!!" when like... it's all market presure and sipply and demand innit, who cares
Market pressure and supply and demand are antithetical to art, that's just how it is

Darko posted:

Fast Five is also fantastic, and yes, way better than every MCU movie.
It's nuts how Fast Five was basically The Avengers but for four different Cars Wot Go Fast movies instead of four different superhero movies, but an insane jump in quality rather than a dip in quality

CelticPredator posted:

I never loved winter soldier. The first cap is way better. It’s way more stylish and campy.
Yeah it's got some great Joe Johnston Rocketeer pulp comic book feel, the problem is that it compresses it's entire second act into a short montage and then it's on to the grand finale sacrifice already

teagone posted:

I had to try real hard to remember what even the car chase was from Civil War.
There are two, Samuel L Jackson versus the racially profiling HydraCops and the "oops there goes your steering wheel" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WgjyFm-76g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Avymog_CEQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 27, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Market pressure and supply and demand are antithetical to art, that's just how it is

i have 10 listeners on Spotify for an album i put out 3 years ago, i'm wildly aware

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Valve Steam Deck posted:

There are two, Samuel L Jackson versus the racially profiling HydraCops and the "oops there goes your steering wheel" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WgjyFm-76g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Avymog_CEQ

These are ones I know/remember from Winter Soldier? I was struggling to remember what the chase scene was from Civil War.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I had to try real hard to remember what even the car chase was from Civil War. I was like, I only remember the Fury scene from Winter Soldier lmao. Then I remembered from the Civil War trailer the scene of Cap and BP running in the underpass. That's the Civil War chase scene right? Lmao.

The one in the tunnel with Black Panther, yeah. I did a Marvel movie rewatch during Covid lockdown to see if I liked anything more, and that scene surprised me in that it was really well staged and stuff. That's all I grew on, everything else got worse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This bad film hits D+ in a few weeks (June 22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rHrkgVIsw

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Y'all ever see Crimewave? That's a pretty weird movie.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Holy poo poo this movie was crazy! Loved the horror vibe - it's so cool that Marvel are able to weave different genres into this. I hadn't spoiled myself on anything coming into it, so my mouth was hanging open a lot of the movie haha. Parts of this reminded me of the awesome Days of Future Past intro.

Probably one of my favourite MCU films.

Edit: only part I found weird was how everyone kept saying "America!" all the time haha what an unfortunate name

Edit 2: those crazy bastards

Joe Fisto posted:

Those crazy kids at hot toys went and did it.

Are we still doing Dr Strange spoilers?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 3, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This bad film hits D+ in a few weeks (June 22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rHrkgVIsw

Outta my thread.

This is a Raimi love zone

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My favorite Raimi-isms in this film was the body horror highlighting Olsen’s tiny frame. Watching her spill out of the portal and her body contort and crumple before she unfolds herself was pure uncut fishscale body Harry in my marvel moopie, I loved it! 2nd best Raimi am was the shambling Olsen corpse through the sewers, making her look managing and silly at the same time. A Mastah!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I saw it opening night and I keep thinking about one masterstroke line: Who said it had to be alive?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Admiralty Flag posted:

I saw it opening night and I keep thinking about one masterstroke line: Who said it had to be alive?

best part of the movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, that's the kind of pulp I want out of these things.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So why didn't black bolts scream just blow through the skin on his mouth?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

He didn't have a mouth!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hobo Clown posted:

He didn't have a mouth!

But wouldn't the bone in his skull be stronger than the skin on the front of his face?

Unless there straight up was not a mouth cavity there...

And I mean agent Smith did it like 23 years ago.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

PeterCat posted:

But wouldn't the bone in his skull be stronger than the skin on the front of his face?

Unless there straight up was not a mouth cavity there...

And I mean agent Smith did it like 23 years ago.

Whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it. Or witch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PeterCat posted:

So why didn't black bolts scream just blow through the skin on his mouth?

His voice soundwaves don't reach maximum kinetic energy until they travel 4 inches from his throat, or something

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I watched this movie. I feel that it is in the upper echelon of MCU flicks, though I admit to being a big enough mark to have been tickled by the cameos (especially the musical one). The scene where Dr. Strange finishes his martini, hands it to the waiter (thanking him), pulls out his cloak, and leaps off the balcony is an excellent superhero beat, and the Raimi-isms throughout satisfied.

The basic idea with a parallel-universe plot is that you can examine a subject in detail by contrasting it with an almost identical foil, and that'll probably never get old. But I think another one of the great opportunities of multiverses as a narrative conceit is that they can enable the depiction events that you could not depict without them. That's a difficult needle to thread: on the one hand, given the infinite potential of a blank canvas, how can there be anything you can't depict? and on the other hand, if you keep coming back to it, now it's just another kind of story and the other universe is just another location for the same old stories; and on top of that, there's the risk of simply squandering the premise anyway.

"Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness" uses its titular multiverse successfully in both ways. Obviously, parallel universes suit the character of Doctor Strange well because he's known to be self-absorbed, and alt-selves and egotists go together like cartoon factory gags and Powerhouse. But in terms of things you couldn't do without a multiverse, the Universe 838 segment in particular has all this stuff that couldn't be done nearly as well, if at all, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe:

• The status quo of the setting has diverged from that which is familiar to the audience. This is impossible for the same reasons it's impossible in the source material: fundamental to the conceit of superheroes is they live in a world like this one.
  • The heroes are victorious and regnant over a world of their own making. This is impossible because the MCU is always about preventing catastrophes, not about improving things.
  • There's a more diverse "core" cast of Avengers, rather than being relegated to spinoffs and sidekicks. This is impossible because a bunch of popular movies about white guys already came out and became the foundation of the series, and there's no way to un-release them.
  • Amid the carnage of battle, major characters are subject to sudden and gruesome deaths. This is impossible because the characters are the brand, and they are immortal until their stories are finished.
  • A bunch of people with colorful costumes and flamboyant codenames hold a solemn and dignified hearing in which (among other things) they chastise a MCU hero for being snarky and irreverent, without that dignity being undercut. This is impossible because the quips are how they signal that it's fun and that it's okay to have fun.

The thing is: by taking this chance to exceed the limits of what the MCU is capable of, it draws attention to those limits. At a time when the tendency of Disney properties to become commercials for themselves is both increasingly noted and noted as increasing, it's hard not to take this film as the herald of the Iron Man series' final creative stagnation. I'm pretty sure I like that about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do find it funny that for comics, it's actually pretty common to do things like establish a villain has killed off an entire superteam in an alternate universe, wiped out an equivalent Avengers or Justice League or both or whatever, and it's usually rightly seen as cheap heat or at least a throwaway in-joke. However, that has much different implications when depicted onscreen in a movie, especially given the whole meta context of the MCU thus far. These aren't just throwaway cameos in a drawing, these are character who had to be cast, costumed, rehearsed, shot and reshot, and that's after rights are negotiated and the whole quivering bloated corporate behemoth has to get out of the way. Sheer audacity for a shocking twist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Didn’t care for the story much but I very much enjoyed Sam Raimi being his silly old self in a big tent pole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCn9gOAPgBo

I was really surprised how many Evil Dead 2 homages there were

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do find it funny that for comics, it's actually pretty common to do things like establish a villain has killed off an entire superteam in an alternate universe, wiped out an equivalent Avengers or Justice League or both or whatever, and it's usually rightly seen as cheap heat or at least a throwaway in-joke. However, that has much different implications when depicted onscreen in a movie, especially given the whole meta context of the MCU thus far. These aren't just throwaway cameos in a drawing, these are character who had to be cast, costumed, rehearsed, shot and reshot, and that's after rights are negotiated and the whole quivering bloated corporate behemoth has to get out of the way. Sheer audacity for a shocking twist.

This was why Professor X getting killed off by getting his head mentally ripped in half on screen was the most impressive death in the movie to me. Especially because as poo poo starts going down and those characters each confront Wanda in their own way, they absolutely build it up as if he'll be the one be more prominent and figure things out.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Steve Yun posted:

Didn’t care for the story much but I very much enjoyed Sam Raimi being his silly old self in a big tent pole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCn9gOAPgBo

I was really surprised how many Evil Dead 2 homages there were

the delay in the pov camera retreating to hide really bothered me. it lingers far too long to imply any real desire to be stealthy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ammanas posted:

the delay in the pov camera retreating to hide really bothered me. it lingers far too long to imply any real desire to be stealthy.

The primary intended idea wasn’t to be stealthy

It was to be funny

The idea that an invisible entity needs to hide is hilarious

The idea that it could hide behind stair bannisters is hilarious

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 27, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This was my favorite marvel movie after thor Ragnarok

I didn’t see the Wanda tv show but I still followed everything well in this one. My only questions are

- Americas star was in the “good” book at the end before it’s burned up . Is the the result of some sorcery ? Our strange touches the book for a second , maybe he got his wish granted ? Idk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

euphronius posted:

This was my favorite marvel movie after thor Ragnarok

I didn’t see the Wanda tv show but I still followed everything well in this one. My only questions are

- Americas star was in the “good” book at the end before it’s burned up . Is the the result of some sorcery ? Our strange touches the book for a second , maybe he got his wish granted ? Idk

Congrats on spotting that! That's actually the joke- the foreshadowing of what Strange realises at the end that America's own powers are already the key to solving this and indeed almost any problem, since she can hop multiverses and space to find whatever she needs. She already does it subconsciously, which is probably why she's survived at all thus far. The book's whole thing is that if gives you exactly the spell you need to solve your current problem, and they already have it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks that makes sense .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
You know the scene where Mr Fantastic is introduced? Yeah, I thought it funny that Mr Fantastic waited until Professor X mentioned his name before appearing via his teleportation thingy. It's like Mr Fantastic was watching the audience chamber through a camera and was waiting for just the right cue from the master of ceremonies to make his dramatic entrance.