Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's like 7 plot chapters in the entire book 1 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Larry Parrish posted:

there's like 7 plot chapters in the entire book 1 lol

I think we very much disagree on what a "plot chapter" is. Nearly every single chapter in book one meaningfully moves something forward. The chapters where superficially not much happens are introducing us to the characters and the world, which is way more significant than the actual events which occur. The recent chapters have been structurally similar, but often haven't actually developed the characters in the same way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I do think the recent chapters have been more about reinforcing what the current status quo is to the readers, and catching up to where all the characters are at mentally, rather than advancing any character or story development.

Personally I'm totally fine with some chapters like that, though I think it has overstayed its welcome a tad and would like to see things move forward soon.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 9.03 Patreon: Erin's finally becoming a main character :unsmith:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It took several years but we're finally meeting the titular character

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kitty Cat Kill Sat has ended for patreons. Still got a few chapters left for us free readers.

I liked it. If it had been an eternal ongoing story then the flaws might have crippled it over time, but it's coming to a nice close.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't like that it ended so fast, but I kind of expected it. How do you even end a story like that which had no real point quickly without it feeling somewhat rushed?

Also, I really didn't like the two... Sample packs we got. The first one about the dungeon core was exactly like every other dungeon core story I've ever read, and the second... I dunno. Something about the protagonists internal monologue irritates the poo poo out of me. Maybe the third ones the charm. Then again maybe I just don't like Argus's writing that much. I remember I liked Daily Grind but every time the characters talked about real world issues I wanted to strangle them. They did indeed sound like idiot 20somethings who don't know anything, but just eugh. I get enough of that in real life.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Kitty Cat Kill Sat has ended for patreons. Still got a few chapters left for us free readers.

I liked it. If it had been an eternal ongoing story then the flaws might have crippled it over time, but it's coming to a nice close.

I lost interest in it somewhat by chapter... (checks RR) 16. I suppose now that it wrapped up, I'll power through to the end of the book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

They did indeed sound like idiot 20somethings who don't know anything, but just eugh. I get enough of that in real life.
I got the impression that it was not exactly on purpose that they were intolerable, but maybe I'm just reading into it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I've spoken with argus a bunch, and while he did intend them to come off as naive, he wasn't anywhere near being fully crack pinged at the time, so that's reflected quite a bit in the daily grind's setting

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Larry Parrish posted:

The first one about the dungeon core was exactly like every other dungeon core story I've ever read,

What Dungeon Core stories do you recommend? I'm looking for something like the goblin chapters of The Wandering Inn.

I'm reading Goblin Cave
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/54904/goblin-cave
But it has only 20 chapters and remarkebly few goblins.

I'm also reading There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15935/there-is-no-epic-loot-here-only-puns
And it's good, very slice of life and slow paced. With a cheerful and upbeat cast in a very grimdark world. The grimdark so far is just implied though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Megazver posted:

I lost interest in it somewhat by chapter... (checks RR) 16. I suppose now that it wrapped up, I'll power through to the end of the book.

I made it a bit farther, but I also lost interest. After the premise was laid out, the story didn't really seem to go anywhere.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I got the impression that it was not exactly on purpose that they were intolerable, but maybe I'm just reading into it.

Yeah, for most of the story it felt like all of the sympathetic characters believe the same things, which are also the things the author believes.

It seems tough when you want to write a story where most interpersonal problems get meaningfully resolved by talking it out. If it's too easy everyone feels bland. If it's too hard you have to work harder to justify why everyone sucks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A big flaming stink posted:

I've spoken with argus a bunch, and while he did intend them to come off as naive, he wasn't anywhere near being fully crack pinged at the time, so that's reflected quite a bit in the daily grind's setting
This is what I woulda have guessed, yeah. They read like a lot of people I hung out with back in like 2014, if that makes sense. I just assume all goons crack pinged at the same time I did.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Peachfart posted:

I made it a bit farther, but I also lost interest. After the premise was laid out, the story didn't really seem to go anywhere.

I really loved it but I didn’t love how I felt like I had to grind through the prose to learn very few new things. Similar to Pale I think I’d voraciously read a worldbuilding bible for KCKS. Or an annotated diagram of the ship, that would be rad too. But yeah now that it’s finishing I’ll probably go back and pick it up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA-Wintrow posted:

What Dungeon Core stories do you recommend? I'm looking for something like the goblin chapters of The Wandering Inn.

I'm reading Goblin Cave
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/54904/goblin-cave
But it has only 20 chapters and remarkebly few goblins.

I'm also reading There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15935/there-is-no-epic-loot-here-only-puns
And it's good, very slice of life and slow paced. With a cheerful and upbeat cast in a very grimdark world. The grimdark so far is just implied though.

I don't recommend any of them because they're all boring or badly written with no exceptions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladin posted:

Yeah, for most of the story it felt like all of the sympathetic characters believe the same things, which are also the things the author believes.

It seems tough when you want to write a story where most interpersonal problems get meaningfully resolved by talking it out. If it's too easy everyone feels bland. If it's too hard you have to work harder to justify why everyone sucks.

it felt like the cops kid character eventually started turning to the camera and lecturing me on trans rights or whatever the topic of the week was and after the second time in like 3 chapters in book 2 I just put it down. lol. like it's great if your passion is to attempt to organize people for whatever your personal pet topic is but your goofy story on a web serial website is probably the worst possible time and place for doing that. that's before we get into the internet and how almost anyone trying to do politics on it is basically trapped in mental quicksand and is hostile to being told to go volunteer.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

it felt like the cops kid character eventually started turning to the camera and lecturing me on trans rights or whatever the topic of the week was and after the second time in like 3 chapters in book 2 I just put it down. lol. like it's great if your passion is to attempt to organize people for whatever your personal pet topic is but your goofy story on a web serial website is probably the worst possible time and place for doing that. that's before we get into the internet and how almost anyone trying to do politics on it is basically trapped in mental quicksand and is hostile to being told to go volunteer.

the cop kid is actually great because (mild spoilers) at one point she gets magic amnesia and ends up a vigilante when she discovers she can survive bullets. one of the first things she does is beat the utter poo poo out of cops being cops

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hawkperson posted:

I really loved it but I didn’t love how I felt like I had to grind through the prose to learn very few new things. Similar to Pale I think I’d voraciously read a worldbuilding bible for KCKS. Or an annotated diagram of the ship, that would be rad too. But yeah now that it’s finishing I’ll probably go back and pick it up

Yeah, it had the problem of a fascinating location and world that was very briefly mentioned between a bunch of words that I didn't care about. And I like TWI, so I can deal with words, but I eventually just felt the story wasn't worth the effort I was putting into reading it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I am about 100 chapters into A Practical Guide to Sorcery, and I mostly like it, except...
I'm starting to dislike the main character. Siobhan is spending half her time having complete meltdowns or making terrible decisions, and it is getting annoying.
Hoping this calms down a bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Peachfart posted:

I am about 100 chapters into A Practical Guide to Sorcery, and I mostly like it, except...
I'm starting to dislike the main character. Siobhan is spending half her time having complete meltdowns or making terrible decisions, and it is getting annoying.
Hoping this calms down a bit.

Siobhan constantly making terrible decisions is the core of the entire story.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the core of the story is the beauty of friendship between young men, especially if one of the young men is secretly a woman and also an infamous criminal

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zore posted:

Siobhan constantly making terrible decisions is the core of the entire story.

I don't think anything will beat Hey, a piece of my dead 'friend'(the one I forgot about instantly) that turned into an Abomination, I will keep it with me for reasons????

At a certain point, suspension of disbelief starts to fail.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Today's TUTBAD (115) was extremely cool and good.

Verity slapping her mom with magic, Alfric abusing chronomancy to fix a bad wedding, Xy shamelessly hitting on everyone, more Emperor, setup for a confrontation (probably) in the next chapter, it was really a smorgasbord.

Edit: note from the author in the discord

quote:

Note: this is loosely based on a friend's wedding where they didn't invite part of the family, who then showed up and had a brawl with the wedding party in a parking lot outside the venue

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 30, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got caught up only villains do that today and the author recommended 'Noctoseismology', which is weird and pretty good. it's an Isekai but it's a character from a weird urban fantasy world that sounds like V:TM or something to a generic modern superhero world. that's pretty much enough to be interesting on its own, and it is, but holy gently caress the dialogue is either one of the funniest things I've read or incredibly cringe and awful.

look, we've all seen how weird people who are on Twitter way too much get. ive run into this sometimes with DSA and it's usually the herald of the mother of all awkward silences because yes everyone in the room knew what you were talking about and we all know exactly where you got the idea to say that and now we all think you're weird and stupid.

anyway when the three main characters, two of which are strangers to each other, started having some kind of gay-off as their introduction to each other i really had no way to react to it being played completely straight besides to laugh because I've seen that in real life and the direct reaction was the conversation instantly dying, instead of someone going ah well actually I'm the bisexual subclass which is what happened here. look i can't explain it without a direct quote but you'll instantly see what I'm talking about. cool book but either the author is severely online and needs to be saved from themselves or has a serious bone to pick and probably needs to be saved from themselves.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[reads literally one more chapter]

"Is it like how half the white transfems you see online will admit to having had a nazi phase?" Akane asked.

Well I'm passing on that lmfao.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Doctor Roxanne Updyke was isekai'd earlier today. She finds herself in a world of noble heroes and wicked villains, wielding great powers against each other in the never-ending war for justice. An ordinary person would be advised to run for cover.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
what's

what's updyke

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in retrospect the warning signs were there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone else reading Godslayers?

Its got a really neat hook (gods are large scale soul parasites and we're following a team from a highly advanced version of Earth who go around different dimensions killing gods and uplifting the worlds.) Its got a very Star-Trekesque thing where they're infiltrating a planet with vastly inferior tech, but god powers and blessings help even things up as they can empower people in much the same way as the protagonist's highly advanced tech.

Mostly a fun read that touches on a lot of neat ideas to chew over. Main character can be more than a bit irritating though because she's from our modern Earth about a decade after it was the target of the godslayers and uplifted and she's written as a kinda twee millennial.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zore posted:

Its got a really neat hook (gods are large scale soul parasites and we're following a team from a highly advanced version of Earth who go around different dimensions killing gods and uplifting the worlds.) Its got a very Star-Trekesque thing where they're infiltrating a planet with vastly inferior tech, but god powers and blessings help even things up as they can empower people in much the same way as the protagonist's highly advanced tech.

Mostly a fun read that touches on a lot of neat ideas to chew over. Main character can be more than a bit irritating though because she's from our modern Earth about a decade after it was the target of the godslayers and uplifted and she's written as a kinda twee millennial.

it's really cool but it's on my back burner because the protagonist is kind of a headache and only fun in short doses. everyone else is way cooler and I kind of wish she wasn't in it even though she's our vehicle for explanations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

what's

what's updyke
nm whats up with u

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

nm whats up with u

nm either, hoping autumn is gonna be ok in btdem

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

nm whats up with u

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've been holding off recommending The Eternal Myths because it's slow, mindfucky, and baroque but on second thought that might be exactly what some people in the thread are looking for. It's a cultivation based story where that's almost none of the point, in an completely different way than say BoC. Magic powers come from bonds between humans and spirits, and while there's a bit of system behind it, it also gets used in a more literary "magic is mysterious" way. The world is novel and interesting, characters are distinct and they develop. Don't expect to understand what's happening or why as it's happening, but things make more sense looking backwards.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Web serial/KU drama: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/vp7ork/tao_wong_author_of_a_thousand_li_the_first_step/

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

nm either, hoping autumn is gonna be ok in btdem

Who's that?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Larry Parrish posted:

i got caught up only villains do that today and the author recommended 'Noctoseismology', which is weird and pretty good. it's an Isekai but it's a character from a weird urban fantasy world that sounds like V:TM or something to a generic modern superhero world. that's pretty much enough to be interesting on its own, and it is, but holy gently caress the dialogue is either one of the funniest things I've read or incredibly cringe and awful.

look, we've all seen how weird people who are on Twitter way too much get. ive run into this sometimes with DSA and it's usually the herald of the mother of all awkward silences because yes everyone in the room knew what you were talking about and we all know exactly where you got the idea to say that and now we all think you're weird and stupid.

anyway when the three main characters, two of which are strangers to each other, started having some kind of gay-off as their introduction to each other i really had no way to react to it being played completely straight besides to laugh because I've seen that in real life and the direct reaction was the conversation instantly dying, instead of someone going ah well actually I'm the bisexual subclass which is what happened here. look i can't explain it without a direct quote but you'll instantly see what I'm talking about. cool book but either the author is severely online and needs to be saved from themselves or has a serious bone to pick and probably needs to be saved from themselves.

I read the whole thing and tapped out at the end of book one or arc one or whatever and I was really forcing myself to get through that, but yeah i know exactly what you're talking about and agree

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zore posted:

You left out the bit where a big party of how they kill the gods is through applied sociology. :v:

They fall! They die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

tithin posted:

I read the whole thing and tapped out at the end of book one or arc one or whatever and I was really forcing myself to get through that, but yeah i know exactly what you're talking about and agree

I was really curious to read the passage honestly but the extreme online stuff is so distracting, it makes it really hard to get through. The worldbuilding is kinda interesting but the characters are very much…not. Can one of you give me a rough idea of where I can find this particular passage so I can just jump straight to it