Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My Vinegar Syndrome order arrived! They threw in a couple stickers and a postcard. One of them had a slipcover like you guys always talk about, but it's not what I expected. It's not like a regular slipcover, it's really thick stock, very high quality. Kinda bummed the others don't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gripweed posted:

One of them had a slipcover like you guys always talk about, but it's not what I expected. It's not like a regular slipcover, it's really thick stock, very high quality. Kinda bummed the others don't have one

:sickos:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Now that Criterion have released Multiple Maniacs, Female Trouble, Pink Flamingos, and Polyester, are they going to do Desperate Living too? I don't think that's ever had an HD release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

My Vinegar Syndrome order arrived! They threw in a couple stickers and a postcard. One of them had a slipcover like you guys always talk about, but it's not what I expected. It's not like a regular slipcover, it's really thick stock, very high quality. Kinda bummed the others don't have one

Reminds me of the recent Shout Factory Halloween UHDs, they had this really nice hefty cover that has a great feel to it. If they changed over to that design for all of their releases I'd personally be willing to pay a few bucks more.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Last update about 12 Monkeys was from about seven weeks ago (May 9 to be exact), they're aware and a replacement disc is in the works, at least for the 4k disc. The Blu-ray has the same issue but they've been oblique about whether they'll fix it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Got my preorders of True Romance (Arrow) and Worst Person in the World (Criterion) :woop:

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
My (second) Vinegar Syndrome order just shipped—the one using the coupon I received for buying during the sale. It looks like I'll probably receive that before the sale stuff I bought, which is weird. No word on the sale stuff. I'm not mad, it's just odd.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

are they going to do Desperate Living too?
I sure wish it would, it's hands down my favorite Waters but nobody ever watches it because Divine isn't in it. :smith:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Edith Massey plays an evil queen who tries to hand-feed a bird an entire slice of pizza, what more do you want, even.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I hope Criterion just goes for the rest of all of Waters' oeuvre. Even the "lesser" works are great and uniquely his.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Now that Criterion have released Multiple Maniacs, Female Trouble, Pink Flamingos, and Polyester, are they going to do Desperate Living too? I don't think that's ever had an HD release.

That would be a day one purchase for me. It’s one of his most deliriously inspired movies, and every time I see it I’m flummoxed that more people aren’t excited about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

codyclarke posted:

My (second) Vinegar Syndrome order just shipped—the one using the coupon I received for buying during the sale. It looks like I'll probably receive that before the sale stuff I bought, which is weird. No word on the sale stuff. I'm not mad, it's just odd.

You might get all of it in one box, about 1/3 of the time when I have multiple orders added to my regular order, I'll get a notification for only one of the orders, but everything is in the box. It's probably just a quirk of whatever systems they're using.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

That would be a day one purchase for me. It’s one of his most deliriously inspired movies, and every time I see it I’m flummoxed that more people aren’t excited about it.
It certainly makes more sense for a boutique release than Pink Flamingos does. Like, how regularly does anyone really watch Pink Flamingos? You watch it once, and then you periodically show it to your friends prefaced by "oh my god, you'll never believe how gross this movie is."

I, Butthole posted:

I hope Criterion just goes for the rest of all of Waters' oeuvre. Even the "lesser" works are great and uniquely his.
Hairspray and Cry-Baby are Universal catalog titles, Shout Factory has a pretty good Serial Mom release, but I don't think anyone has anything after that.

I like Pecker a lot, but I don't think I own it even on DVD.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 30, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Here's a fun one, The Bob's Burgers movie (which I didn't know was a thing) is getting a 4k release...but it's only a store exclusive steelbook. The creator confirmed there will be no standard uhd.
I can't even imagine what this one will cost on ebay after it goes out of stock at whatever store has it..best buy I think?

I'd be mad if it was a movie I cared about

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zer0spunk posted:

Here's a fun one, The Bob's Burgers movie (which I didn't know was a thing) is getting a 4k release...but it's only a store exclusive steelbook. The creator confirmed there will be no standard uhd.
I can't even imagine what this one will cost on ebay after it goes out of stock at whatever store has it..best buy I think?

I'd be mad if it was a movie I cared about

Thanks for the heads up, I pre-ordered that. What a dumb decision.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I enjoyed the Bob's Burgers movie but was very unsure about spending that much on it, even with the nice looking steel book. But if this will be the only way to get it in 4k and the value will hold due to the dumb limit, it sounds like not an awful idea to just order it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're going to make it exclusive to a specific release, then they really should've made the steel book burger shaped that keeps rolling out of peoples collections just to really make it worthwhile.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

should've put it in a tin like the special edition release of the Batman 89' soundtrack

tough to get the cd out without just having to dump out all the contents into your hand. perfect for a UHD release.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
oh, is this a stupid packaging thread now?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

A while back an outfit called Filmcentrix handled Blue Sunshine in an exhaustive special edition, and then appear to have quietly abandoned plans for anything else. That disc is now going for hilarious amounts of money because :capitalism:, but does anyone know of plans by any other houses for that movie? Also for Zaat/The Blood Waters of Dr. Z, because I love that bizarre thing.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1542545176253669377

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

This all makes me want an accurate UHD version of The Deadly Spawn, because that was shot on a dozen different kinds of whatever 16mm film they could get their hands on. Done right that would be a patchwork quilt of visual texture.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1542526532933062656

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cloks posted:

oh, is this a stupid packaging thread now?

Gotta get one of these to display next to my thin plastic clamshell Simpsons head DVD sets

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The early 00s were such a Wild West for terrible DVD packaging. The Warner keep cases, the Simpsons heads, the Northern Exposure puffy jackets, etc.

Star Trek in particular kept doing godawful poo poo. The Enterprise and TOS releases had enormous plastic cases that couldn’t fit right on a shelf and the former all looked identical regardless of season. Voyager and DS9 insisted on those thin stacked jewel cases that were held together with literal tape on the spine and the former came in gaudy neon colors. Even TNG, one of the first TV seasons on dvd that I can remember, came in big storybook-esque cardboard cases that hosed up easy and never closed right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The early 00s were such a Wild West for terrible DVD packaging. The Warner keep cases, the Simpsons heads, the Northern Exposure puffy jackets, etc.

Star Trek in particular kept doing godawful poo poo. The Enterprise and TOS releases had enormous plastic cases that couldn’t fit right on a shelf and the former all looked identical regardless of season. Voyager and DS9 insisted on those thin stacked jewel cases that were held together with literal tape on the spine and the former came in gaudy neon colors. Even TNG, one of the first TV seasons on dvd that I can remember, came in big storybook-esque cardboard cases that hosed up easy and never closed right.

I'm kinda scared to take my Sliders Season DVDs out of the case, I'm sure the foam has somehow merged with it by now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Deadly Spawn 4k!?!?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

MacheteZombie posted:

Deadly Spawn 4k!?!?

I KNOW! I’m as shocked as anyone, and will be stunned if it looks good.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I might be in the minority, but I really liked those first Star Trek TOS DVD plastic boxes. They looked appropriately “retro future” and being solid primary colors made them stand out.

The only flaw was how you had to split them down the middle to open them and get to the french fry box that actually held the discs.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just unboxed my VS Halfway order and drat, that Flesh for Frankenstein package is slick as hell. I had originally ordered it from Amazon only to end up returning it when it came in a regular bluray case (for the same price).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Northern Exposure puffy jackets kicked rear end. All steelbooks should come in a jacket like that so they don’t get dented in transit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Drive UHD being wrapped in its own miniature scorpion jacket when?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have the Bubba Ho-Tep DVD in the jumpsuit cover. Might have been the first movie I really bought with my own money from a job. Could have been Blade Runner. Maybe I bought them both at the same time and made myself look like an insufferable person.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is this movie

Watching Tammy and the t Rex,

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

worms butthole guy posted:

The best movie ever made

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My UHD steelbook of Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow: All You Need Is Kill shipped from Best Buy :getin:

Where the gently caress do I put this on my shelf/in my binder? With the Ls? The Es? I've been calling the movie Edge of Tomorrow for years but this new release restores the original title.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm going with Live Die Repeat

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I still use the mini red Swingline stapler that came with a special edition DVD of Office Space

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've never seen a movie that's so unsure of its own title.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Indelible. Unforgettable. The finest creation the director of Mac and Me and Mannequin 2: On the Move ever managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

*Tanny