Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

poo poo I had a bad job like that, it’s the company culture you see to be 8 to 5 and let us remind you, no leaving at 4:55pm. All we did was pretend fake audit reports were real to check a box. Manager did nothing all day except try to manage their house remodel, they were terrible at that too if the liens the contractors were taking out on their house that came in over the fax machine were any indication.

there was an entire dept that would get into work at 8:00 am, get their work done in three hours, then sit at their desk openly streaming netflix®™️© on their work pc for the next five and 1/2 hours but BY GOD they did it until 5:00 pm IN THE BUILDING thank you very much

meanwhile I’d respond to emails at home until 9:00 pm regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wish this place would just bottle our pale ale or something. This finicky rear end bottler gets gunked up every other time I have to bottle it meaning I have to clean the bottler and start from square one, dumping beer in the process.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Well, today was a loving nightmare. Bottler got gummed up at the beginning of the run so I bled the machine, cleaned it again, and it gummed up a second time. Section head was helping and told me to just keg it. 300 liters of loss for a 500 liter batch of beer. Losses for this beer are usually between 150 and 200, which isn't great but acceptable. At least he seemed to understand. Said to see if I can fix the issues, and if not we won't bottle it anymore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tyool 2022 and people still gently caress up the timezone conversions for international meetings.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Tyool 2022 and people still gently caress up the timezone conversions for international meetings.

My mom asking me "What time is it there?" after calling me at 3 in the morning.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Escape From Noise posted:

My mom asking me "What time is it there?" after calling me at 3 in the morning.

see if you can talk her through putting a widget on her phone showing what time it is where you are, I did that when my spouse and I were in different time zones because I got sick of googling "Vancouver current time" (I lived in AZ, land of no DST)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

see if you can talk her through putting a widget on her phone showing what time it is where you are, I did that when my spouse and I were in different time zones because I got sick of googling "Vancouver current time" (I lived in AZ, land of no DST)

My mom cannot figure out the world clock feature.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Send her a cheap watch set to your local time

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lazyfire posted:

I found Warheads sour beers in the discount bin at a liquor store in another town and only my wife has been brave enough to drink any of them.

I picked up one of these because I loved Warheads as a kid and it's way better than I expected, honestly. I enjoyed the whole thing and would buy again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Block her calls between certain hours and never ever pick up even when she tries to use guilt.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

She's alright. It's just one of those funny things. She's gotten better about it recently but she's just hopeless with tech.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

She's alright. It's just one of those funny things. She's gotten better about it recently but she's just hopeless with tech.

Send her the watch then. That's a stupid answer to a stupid problem but the stupid cancels out so it's actually a really good idea.

E: make sure it's a digital watch on military time or with a gigantic AM/PM.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a hahaha an SDR on today's all hands committed to making 300 calls this week

8 calls an hour with no breaks to pee or drink water or answer email or have meetings

sure does sound good in front of the ceo though

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

boar guy posted:

a hahaha an SDR on today's all hands committed to making 300 calls this week

8 calls an hour with no breaks to pee or drink water or answer email or have meetings

sure does sound good in front of the ceo though

Call them out on it during the next all-hands.

Turn it into learning through humiliation experience.

Lol no, sales are not capable of humiliation, shame or empathy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outrail posted:

Call them out on it during the next all-hands.

Turn it into learning through humiliation experience.

Lol from the chatter here glad I've never had to work with our Sales dept. Although I have interacted with our Buying dept, super nice folk excellent at their jobs that explain why this place stays profitable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Outrail posted:

Sales rep at my old place (way old, early 2000s) got kicked in the head after he drunkenly fell out of his 250k Benz while hitting on a nice girl from Customer Service. This did not deter him next Monday.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's great when sales people out themselves by saying they took scenes from Glengarry Glen Ross as life lessons.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AIDA? Isn't that an opera?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

AIDA? Isn't that an opera?

We was all at Rigoletto's

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Me: this item our dept owns is persistently causing issues. We had a similar issue last year with a different item and this solution worked, we should do that again.

Team: hmm isn't this the problem of a neighboring team?

Me: no, some of the words I used could be associated with that team but this item is wholly controlled by our dept.

Manager: alright I've decided this problem is being caused by a setting that cannot be changed, we will immediately schedule a series of meetings with other teams and get mad when they remind us they can't change that.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Me: this item our dept owns is persistently causing issues. We had a similar issue last year with a different item and this solution worked, we should do that again.

Team: hmm isn't this the problem of a neighboring team?

Me: no, some of the words I used could be associated with that team but this item is wholly controlled by our dept.

Manager: alright I've decided this problem is being caused by a setting that cannot be changed, we will immediately schedule a series of meetings with other teams and get mad when they remind us they can't change that.

My eye just started twitching...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've had three different people in my house this last week trying to find a mystery leak causing water damage across my living room ceiling, so I've been a little less forgiving of other people's bullshit lately. I've been trying to get one of my internal customers to go through a process required by the company to do a thing for a month and she has steadfastly refused, so when she asked me again why I wasn't doing the thing I just responded with "I'm sorry company policy is inconvenient for you" and signed off for the day. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

I've had three different people in my house this last week trying to find a mystery leak causing water damage across my living room ceiling, so I've been a little less forgiving of other people's bullshit lately. I've been trying to get one of my internal customers to go through a process required by the company to do a thing for a month and she has steadfastly refused, so when she asked me again why I wasn't doing the thing I just responded with "I'm sorry company policy is inconvenient for you" and signed off for the day. Tomorrow will be interesting.

lol :moments:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Things at work have improved for me a lot lately. The restaurant manager kind of stepped down from having anything to do with the brewery really. Now I report to the section head and I have more responsibilities and more control over things. It's one of those situations where on paper I have more to do like ordering and making the production schedule, but in practice it's way less of a headache to be able to do these things mostly myself with limited oversight from my boss. The section head is a lot more approachable and good about making time for necessary meetings, etc. I have no real I'll will towards the restaurant manager because, while I was very mad at him for that blow-up, I can at least understand that he was stretched very thin. I also think it's this case where he felt this need to interpret things higher-ups said and so whatever was needed to deliver, even when the request wasn't urgent or anything. Now that my direct boss is more of a company manager who's easy to talk to and open to discussion, it's made fixing issues a lot easier.

The assistant manager at the restaurant is my more daily touch point and he's a nice guy but my god he's thick sometimes! Was chatting a bit with him and the section chief and floated the idea of doing some collaborations later this year and mentioned two places I knew were interested in doing something together. One is a well regarded place up in rural Shiga, so coordinating that might be a bit more work, and a smaller brew pub near here. The assistant manager was like "Well we should set things up with the place in Shiga first because they're better known." The brew pub is also fairly well known, and the owner is really knowledgeable. For some reason him and the restaurant manager are always making GBS threads on the place despite them helping us several times. Also, a collaboration is just working on two recipes and doing one at their place on their dime, and one at our place on our dime. It's exposure either way! I don't get the prioritization before we've even entered serious discussions with either! We just sold our first keg outside of the company! We have like no name recognition! Definitely less than the pub with three locations in the city! JFC! It'd also be so easy to do, logistically! No travel expenses or anything! Just head over on a free day!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Defenistrator posted:

Our office culture is best described as "work from home in the office" all meetings must be done on zoom (despite having meeting rooms) you are not allowed to socialize with people at any times (including lunch) and you must eat through your lunch.

There's a bit in our new remote working handbook that says if you're in the office in a meeting with some remote participants, you're not allowed to talk to the in person attendees about the subject of the meeting after it's finished.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

for fucks sake posted:

There's a bit in our new remote working handbook that says if you're in the office in a meeting with some remote participants, you're not allowed to talk to the in person attendees about the subject of the meeting after it's finished.

lol

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

for fucks sake posted:

for fucks sake posted:

for fucks sake

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Did she kick off today?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Steakandchips posted:

Did she kick off today?

No, of course not. I was expecting to see at least an e-mail or a missed call on my work phone from last night but she went silent after I responded. What will probably happen is I'll get another email demanding I do something at the end of the day next Thursday or Friday that completely ignores my response because that's happened a couple times now and I guess I have the memory of a goldfish in her opinion.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

No, of course not. I was expecting to see at least an e-mail or a missed call on my work phone from last night but she went silent after I responded. What will probably happen is I'll get another email demanding I do something at the end of the day next Thursday or Friday that completely ignores my response because that's happened a couple times now and I guess I have the memory of a goldfish in her opinion.

Can you reply to the email chain and cc her boss and your boss and put the policy in it? I despise people like this, it's the malicious incompetence version of the "no take only throw" dog

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pyrtanis posted:

Can you reply to the email chain and cc her boss and your boss and put the policy in it? I despise people like this, it's the malicious incompetence version of the "no take only throw" dog

Apparently the person pushing me on issuing the order IM'd my boss last night after I sent my email back and complained about me not doing the thing. I guess she was under the impression that my boss would just get in line and make me do the thing when he's more of a contrarian than I am with these sorts of things and told her she needed to follow policy if she wanted his employee to do something for her. The next step to try to force me to do something is to go to my boss' boss, and I know she would be furious about someone trying to force one of her people to move forward on a government order without all the forms and workflows completed. This has the potential to entertain me for weeks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

for fucks sake posted:

This makes sense on paper and stops office based people sucking over with but... Yeah that's not how it works in practice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Apparently the person pushing me on issuing the order IM'd my boss last night after I sent my email back and complained about me not doing the thing. I guess she was under the impression that my boss would just get in line and make me do the thing when he's more of a contrarian than I am with these sorts of things and told her she needed to follow policy if she wanted his employee to do something for her. The next step to try to force me to do something is to go to my boss' boss, and I know she would be furious about someone trying to force one of her people to move forward on a government order without all the forms and workflows completed. This has the potential to entertain me for weeks.

Lol drat. Our HR dept is like that too for requests. Unfortunately our bosses don’t understand our day to day work and don’t have our backs so I shrug and complete the request, rather than try to demand they fill out a form for some tracking metric nobody looks at. Our HR dept may not understand Excel, accessibility, or morale, but they are masters of grudge holding on the level of warhammer dwarves.

naem
May 29, 2011

when a company I worked for was acquired, my former boss was promoted sideways and I had a new direct manager.

former boss and I got along well and there was a ton of work integrating an active business into a bigger org and the best way to do that was to talk regularly as our work overlapped. we’d text on skype or teams etc and get quick answers or share info. you know, like coworkers.

new boss (who was in another state) suddenly forbade us to speak. like, no texting about work on work pc’s on teams.

we had to text on our phones secretly

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our HR dept may not understand Excel, accessibility, or morale, but they are masters of grudge holding on the level of warhammer dwarves.

Lemme know when you have an opening for Keeper of the Book of Grudges.

I dunno poo poo about HR, but I've worked IT long enough at this place that I have a mental list of users who have really pissed me off and drag my feet on helping, if I even help at all - I'm lookin' at YOU, Sue, Himanshah, and Shay :argh:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

naem posted:

when a company I worked for was acquired, my former boss was promoted sideways and I had a new direct manager.

former boss and I got along well and there was a ton of work integrating an active business into a bigger org and the best way to do that was to talk regularly as our work overlapped. we’d text on skype or teams etc and get quick answers or share info. you know, like coworkers.

new boss (who was in another state) suddenly forbade us to speak. like, no texting about work on work pc’s on teams.

we had to text on our phones secretly

Did new boss actually check if you were communicating? Or offer an explanation for this?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol sitting in a hotel lobby.

Lady across from me is doing interviews remotely. Just heard her getting off call with someone, talking about looking at the person’s linked in and saying they’d email the background check later today.

Then she hops on another call (phone not computer) with I presume her boss or what ever and says she doesn’t think this candidate is a good fit. Why? She wasn’t dressed well enough and had “white trash makeup” whatever that means.

I mean I couldn’t see the screen for all I know someone showed up to interview in ICP face paint. But still lol at just loving saying it out loud like that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol sitting in a hotel lobby.

Lady across from me is doing interviews remotely. Just heard her getting off call with someone, talking about looking at the person’s linked in and saying they’d email the background check later today.

Then she hops on another call (phone not computer) with I presume her boss or what ever and says she doesn’t think this candidate is a good fit. Why? She wasn’t dressed well enough and had “white trash makeup” whatever that means.

I mean I couldn’t see the screen for all I know someone showed up to interview in ICP face paint. But still lol at just loving saying it out loud like that.

I do IT in an executive search firm and I'd love to know if this was someone in my company.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lemme know when you have an opening for Keeper of the Book of Grudges.

I dunno poo poo about HR, but I've worked IT long enough at this place that I have a mental list of users who have really pissed me off and drag my feet on helping, if I even help at all - I'm lookin' at YOU, Sue, Himanshah, and Shay :argh:

Oh man you’ve have to bring your A game to out do our grudge masters.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if i had to guess, 'white trash makeup' is any makeup that isn't nude lipstick and 'natural' styled makeup.

she had a dash of colour on her cheeks! the whore