Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

What an absurdly indefensible island. It's maybe the worst defensive terrain in the entire country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like the Russians have finally decided to close that little corpse-generating factory.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

What an absurdly indefensible island. It's maybe the worst defensive terrain in the entire country.

Or: "How to get all the enemy assets in one place for ease of destruction". :getin:

Ukraine should leave it derelict for the duration or until the russians try it again.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Rigel posted:

Looks like the Russians have finally decided to close that little corpse-generating factory.

A good thread from a good boat guy on why this is kind of a big deal and why Russia's explanation doesn't make sense
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1542457954246578177?s=20&t=q90SwTIQcQVm3hPrzga2zw
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1542457965327929344?s=20&t=q90SwTIQcQVm3hPrzga2zw
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1542457994339827713?s=20&t=q90SwTIQcQVm3hPrzga2zw
Also Russia lost another boat
https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1542456275908313090?s=20&t=q90SwTIQcQVm3hPrzga2zw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KitConstantine posted:

A good thread from a good boat guy on why this is kind of a big deal and why Russia's explanation doesn't make sense

I will add a very simple layer of analysis: it's also a huge symbolic victory (and a not-at-all-small tangible one too) that comes right as Ukraine is losing some ground in the north east.

Snake Island has been a symbol of Ukraine's success as an underdog basically from day 1.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe they're just hoping Ukraine will put troops on it so they can have a go at shelling it for a bit?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Russia doesn't hold the coast near Snake Island.

Ukraine can put artillery and missile launchers on the island and cover it, and the surrounding waters, from shore. The island then covers a deeper portion of the Black Sea and the airspace.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Lone Badger posted:

Maybe they're just hoping Ukraine will put troops on it so they can have a go at shelling it for a bit?

It won't be easy - Russia can't reach it with artillery like Ukraine does, so they would have to waste their precious missiles launched either from sea or air. And you can bet that Ukrainians will occupy the island so they can operate sensors and even drones from there.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

I hope not. Maybe send over a couple of guys in a dingy by night to hoist a flag and take a few selfies but staying there would leave them as exposed as the Russians.

It really can't be stressed enough just how dumb it was for Russia to put men and material on that island. Tiny with no-concealment within artillery range. The result was 100% assured. In the infinity of parallel universes there's not a single one where the Ukrainians wouldn't go through the trouble of getting a howitzer within range of it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The assumption was that Russia would control Odessa and the entire Black Sea Coast, so the Ukrainians wouldn't be able to hit it anyway. Seizing Snake Island was so Russia could control the Danube.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Russian MoD: Did we abandon the island because we simply couldn't keep it? Definitely no, but also, yes, absolutely.

quote:

Fake: Russian troops have withdrawn from Snake Island, unable to withstand attacks by the AFU. Ukrainian sources and western media, such as the New York Times, report on it this way.

Truth: The smoke is actually a trace of the destruction of equipment and ammunition remnants. This is reported by Ukrainian sources, among others.

The site is indeed of strategic importance, but it has fulfilled its role of airspace control for the time being, and given the constant attacks by the AFU, a lot of resources have been spent on its containment.

Snake Island is a volcanic-type island with little or no vegetation or shelter, and it is difficult to hold it in the face of open confrontation. That said, the Russian garrison has successfully withstood several attacks despite regular information attacks by the Ukrainian leadership; there are no confirmed reports of successful operations.

Nevertheless, according to an earlier statement made by the Russian Defence Ministry about the top priority of the lives of Russian soldiers and officers, it was decided to move the garrison from the island to avoid casualties.

The Ukrainian side is trying to turn this into a victory, including with the help of international media, but there are no prerequisites for this.

The Defence Ministry said that this step would avoid provocations by the Ukrainian Armed Forces and accusations against Russia of creating obstacles for exporting grain to ports in third countries.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 30, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Paladinus posted:

Did we abandon the island because we simply couldn't keep it? Definitely no, but also, yes, absolutely.

Literally "we could have won, but we didn't want to".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

lilljonas posted:

Literally "we could have won, but we didn't want to".

How is Russia taking the "Actually made NATO far larger/ please help me budget this, my economy is dying" news?

I'm assuming not well.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 30, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TulliusCicero posted:

How is Russia taking the "Actually made NATO far larger/ please help me budget this, my economy is dying" news?

I'm sssuming not well.

Actually, it's not Russia now has a bigger border with NATO, it's *Bane voice* NATO now has a bigger border with Russia.

And all the sanctions hurt Europe more than they hurt Russia.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Paladinus posted:

And all the sanctions hurt Europe more than they hurt Russia.

This is nonsense. Almost 40% of Russia's exports go to the EU. Less than 5% of the EU's go to Russia. This is devastating for Russia, inconvenient for Europe, which will now have switch off Russian gas a few years earlier than they were originally planning to.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Russian economy is doing fine, don't you think that having 99% of your exports come from extracting oil and gas is a more resilient economy, especially with current market prices which will probably stay at this level forever?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

saratoga posted:

This is nonsense. Almost 40% of Russia's exports go to the EU. Less than 5% of the EU's go to Russia. This is devastating for Russia, inconvenient for Europe, which will now have switch off Russian gas a few years earlier than they were originally planning to.

Read the question he was replying to. I think he is explaining Russia's spin on it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe, just maybe, they ran out of soldiers willing to occupy Snake Island.

Would you do a 2 week billet on Snake Island for rubles? How about dollars? How many?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you spend one night on Snake Island I will give you $10,000

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the popes toes posted:

Would you do a 2 week billet on Snake Island for rubles? How about dollars? How many?

i've got an idea for a racket... you know how some parents are willing to pay tens of thousands of rubles to get their kids redeployed out of the north east? How about a nice island vacation instead?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yes, basically Ukraine saw the writing on the wall and after the 2014 invasion they started to shift all future military hardware development to NATO standards.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you spend one night on Snake Island I will give you $10,000

Creepy old man with a British accent and a pencil mustache offers $10,000 to spend just one night on a haunted (by artillery) island.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Ukraine should now install on Snake island one of those huge hot air blow up dolls that’s just middle finger.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Does anyone have the image of "Russias Ukraine goals over time" where it just keeps shrinking?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doccers posted:

Does anyone have the image of "Russias Ukraine goals over time" where it just keeps shrinking?

It would make a much better Gif avatar to annoy people with than those kinda homophobic photoshops.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Alchenar posted:

It would make a much better Gif avatar to annoy people with than those kinda homophobic photoshops.

it was like "February" with force lines pointing from the north to Kyiv, and from the south to Odessa, then "March" where those were removed, and the force lines were now pointing at Kharkiv and Mykolaiv, and then "April" it was further east again, and then "May" where it was the Izium offensive, and then "June" where it was pointing at Sieverodonesk..

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Doccers posted:

Have this version.

Needs to be updated for July.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Ikasuhito posted:

Have this version.

Needs to be updated for July.

Perfect! thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AzovMolozensky/status/1542448423101640705?s=20&t=sbIFs8ZH4PKRVMfSWgVdMA

lol

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

iv46vi posted:

Ukraine should now install on Snake island one of those huge hot air blow up dolls that’s just middle finger.

Unironically a statue of the post stamp with the soldier flipping off the Moskva, which is listing and on fire. And the fire is a real torch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/henryjfoy/status/1542559122599673857

Chornobaivka reference :laffo:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I didn't understand any of those words, but it was still pretty funny. And accurate.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Doccers posted:

I'm not sure their strategic goals have changed. Staggering incompetence and arrogance have forced them to relocate and refocus forces to Donbas and on a tactical level operations have shrunk in scope due to the impotence of their forces but the strategic objectives may remain the same. It would require a very long Special Operation(tm) to achieve them but the Russian government may be willing to pay that price and it doesn't look like the Russian people particularly object to that. The only question is if they have enough kit to carry through with it.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Owling Howl posted:

I'm not sure their strategic goals have changed. Staggering incompetence and arrogance have forced them to relocate and refocus forces to Donbas and on a tactical level operations have shrunk in scope due to the impotence of their forces but the strategic objectives may remain the same. It would require a very long Special Operation(tm) to achieve them but the Russian government may be willing to pay that price and it doesn't look like the Russian people particularly object to that. The only question is if they have enough kit to carry through with it.

At a very minimum their strategic goals included a regime change. It is entirely implausible they are still pursuing that. At some point they pivoted to something that looks roughly like a land corridor to Crimea and as much land in the east as they can hold. I do agree with you that the shrinking estimation of how much that land is is primarily tactical rather than strategic as a consideration, but abandoning a goal of regime change and installing a puppet government over the country is surely strategic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

the popes toes posted:

I doubt it was a question of being able to send men there. Soldiers don't get asked for preferences. I don't know what the conditions on the island are like, but considering that Russians captured the site intact and Ukrainians had plenty of time to prepare, there probably were bunkers and trenches so men could take shelter. But there's just no point if the enemy keeps blowing up your heavy equipment and sinking your supply boats.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

They very blatently expected Kyiv and many other cities to surrender. They brought dress uniforms for the victory parade. This aim failed to such an extreme degree that they pretended it was actually the most disastrous fient in human history, and their strategic goal had always been extremely small.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Bug Squash posted:

They very blatently expected Kyiv and many other cities to surrender.

The very first paratrooper videos from Kyiv during the first day of the invasion are surreal. There's one where VDV dudes are right in Kyiv area during the daytime and just casually chat with a reporter on the street and crack jokes with him. Literally didn't anticipate a war scenario and expected everyone to run away. I assume actually getting shot at was a huge surprise to them.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm just wondering how the war in Russia is still so popular? I guess popular isn't the right word, maybe tolerated? I know decades of "evil NATO" and state run media but there just doesn't seem to be any other way to spin this than a botched invasion for territorial gains by Russia that has now turned into Soviet-Afghan 2.0 but with more significant economic repercussions at home.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Popete posted:

I'm just wondering how the war in Russia is still so popular? I guess popular isn't the right word, maybe tolerated? I know decades of "evil NATO" and state run media but there just doesn't seem to be any other way to spin this than a botched invasion for territorial gains by Russia that has now turned into Soviet-Afghan 2.0 but with more significant economic repercussions at home.

Older Russians are terminally infected with brainworms. Younger Russians who have some idea of what's going on aren't saying poo poo and lie to pollsters because they don't want to go to jail or fall out of a window. Russia has also been able to use industrial reserves to keep the plates spinning and stuff on store shelves so there's not really any real pain yet. Everything will come crashing down at some point, and then either the leadership changes or it becomes North Korea v2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C0N5T1P4T3D
Jun 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Popete posted:

Well, sanctions tend to increase patriotic fervor in affected populations. There's a long history of this with America's sanctions on Latin American countries.