Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If the colour of light emitted by hot objects is based on their temperature and nothing else, and orange is around ~1500 kelvins, does that really mean the heating element of toasters get that hot? That sounds really high!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

If the colour of light emitted by hot objects is based on their temperature and nothing else, and orange is around ~1500 kelvins, does that really mean the heating element of toasters get that hot? That sounds really high!

There’s slightly more to it, but yes, heating elements do get that hot.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It gets hot enough to turn orange and yet we call it blackbody radiation? Checkmate scientists.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey another question, since Google and Bing aren't really turning up what I'm trying to find, which is:

Is there a good video of a debate between a transgender person and a conservative person about gender? I hear so many isolated rants from either end, I want to hear what these two sides actually say to each other.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

credburn posted:

Hey another question, since Google and Bing aren't really turning up what I'm trying to find, which is:

Is there a good video of a debate between a transgender person and a conservative person about gender? I hear so many isolated rants from either end, I want to hear what these two sides actually say to each other.

No, it always devolves into shouting on one side or the other, because one is denying an entire people personhood, and the other is emphatic that they deserve to be people. There's no way to calmly debate that without making it seem like there's a valid point to denying an entire group of people personhood.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

This advice hasn't been correct for at least 40 years, but for whatever reason it's still really persistent in the general consciousness.

These days it's just a good way to piss people off. Hiring managers aren't looking for gumption and persistence and standing out and all that, and Boomers continue to not know what they're talking about. Sorry :(

askamanager.org/ is a really, really good resource for this sort of thing

um. I will say though for certain classes of entry level and service jobs showing up in person can still hold. Restaurants, bars, convenience stores, some grocery stores, small businesses and shops that are public facing.

Basically, just show up in person when they're not obviously super busy (no need to dress formally, but don't be unkempt) and ask if they're hiring and have any applications on hand. Fill it out in person and turn it in.

If they don't call you you can politely call and check in once within a week, but otherwise drop it and move on.

For an office job though yeah no. Absolutely not.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

They do! A relevant factor that's easy to overlook here is thermal mass. Basically, the amount of energy it takes to heat something up to a certain temperature depends on its mass, and it can take deceptively little energy to heat something with very little mass up to a surprisingly high temperature. Since the wires in your toaster's heating element are very thin, it doesn't take all that much energy to get them to that temperature, and they will also cool back down very rapidly. Another classic example is striking sparks with a flint stone: all the energy going in there is just your arms hitting the things together, but since it's all concentrated into a few tiny specks of metal flakes, those also end up with temperatures of several thousand kelvin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stealth Tiger posted:

anyone interested in answering my actual question? I didn't ask "Which colors are easy to perceive at night" I asked "How come people claim certain colors affect your mood in a certain way, but I have found the opposite to be true?" Does staring at a computer screen that has been shifted towards warm colors help others to sleep? Because looking at that kind of screen makes it tougher for me to sleep.

My guess would be that your computer monitor isn’t actually shifting the colors over properly and it is still putting out a lot of blue light.

Staring at a bright light source, like a computer monitor, is not ever going to make it easier to sleep than not staring at any light at all. If you must have some sort of light, the best is a red light.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

No, it always devolves into shouting on one side or the other, because one is denying an entire people personhood, and the other is emphatic that they deserve to be people. There's no way to calmly debate that without making it seem like there's a valid point to denying an entire group of people personhood.

It's this, OP. I got into an argument with a terfy lesbian on Monday and this is pretty much how it felt. Until she got drunker and started trying to get into my pants. She was visibly quite confused by the whole thing. Maybe I changed her mind in the end!

Of course I didn't change her mind. She probably decided the hot trans girl she aggressively pursued was actually a sign of us being even more insidious and dangerous than she previously thought

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 1, 2022

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Evilreaver posted:

I'm writing a sci-fi book (right now more like a handful of short stories) and while describing the setting to a friend, I came across a mental block.

I have a faction of 'evolved humans', using advanced technology/geneboosting to become superhuman in every aspect. They have a collective subconsciousness or hive mind-- but every individual retains their individuality, can 'tune out' the collective, and even hide their personal thoughts from their hive if they wish. I'm not aware of another sci-fi group that shares these traits (the evolved human bit, sure, but the individualist hive mind bit I'm drawing a blank)

My other group is a tiny community (40-70) of AIs who control a legion of drone pawns (5M+). The drones have simplistic, basic programming (like self-driving cars), but the AIs have the ability to 'jump to' a group (or single) drone(s) and micromanage them if they so desire. The drones don't talk to each other because they lack the capacity for thought; the AIs all live in server clusters at home and aren't mobile. [The AIs all distrust each other and have lots of blocks/pacts to police who has control of which drone at what time, but are terrified of humanity and thus are banded together] I'm not aware of a scifi group that follows this schematic either.

I am CERTAIN I got these ideas from somewhere and it's driving me nuts!

I feel like there's some similar ideas in Ann Leckie's Ancillary series. There is a whole complex subplot about AI's controlling masses of 'drones' and having secret blocking subroutines/defences/self destruct systems to force them to take sides in a secret intra-factional war.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

the incandescent light bulb in the link is also noteworthy in that it gets up to around 3000 kelvin in actual temperature

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/AlexanderEng.shtml

interestingly, a lot of the EM radiation emitted by an incandescent light bulb is actually outside of the visual spectrum and the amount of visible light produced compared to all radiation is actually very low

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb#Efficacy_and_efficiency

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 1, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

El Mero Mero posted:

um. I will say though for certain classes of entry level and service jobs showing up in person can still hold. Restaurants, bars, convenience stores, some grocery stores, small businesses and shops that are public facing.

Basically, just show up in person when they're not obviously super busy (no need to dress formally, but don't be unkempt) and ask if they're hiring and have any applications on hand. Fill it out in person and turn it in.

If they don't call you you can politely call and check in once within a week, but otherwise drop it and move on.

For an office job though yeah no. Absolutely not.

Well, fair enough. But still, pestering people repeatedly seems like a bad idea.

Perestroika posted:

(thermal mass)

That makes a lot of sense! Just because something is very hot doesn't mean it has a lot of energy...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

This and a lot of the more calm debates are carried out by academic reactionaries like Jordan Peterson who tend to “selectively”* choose studies that support their argument.

* a time honored academic tradition of choosing only studies that support one’s argument even if many more contradict it. Or arriving at conclusions based on interpreting results from research of a completely unrelated topic. This is how vaccine misinformation and climate change denial first got their start :v:

Edit: you could say that both sides of the gender debate engage in this but the cultural elite is primarily older and more conservative so voices representing the trans experience are in the minority

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 1, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So... how does an icicle form directly onto a light bulb? Is the heat from the bulb creating just enough condensation to make the water that is then immediately frozen from the room being sub zero?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm looking at buying a flat. I'm going to view somewhere really weird tomorrow. It occupies the top half of a standalone church hall, and it's completely discrete from the facilities below. Basically the church seems to have funded building this annex by having a flat on top that the developers rented.

Good news: for the money, it's an entirely detached property with massive square footage for the city I live in.

Bad news: the church hall below is rented for events on the weekend (theoretically up til 10pm), and open from 7.30 - 6.30pm on weekdays as a daytime nursery for children aged 0-5.

My viewing is afternoon on a weekend so it will be dead quiet, but my small/stupid question is: how loud is that kind of nursery generally? Like on the inside? I know kids running outside make infinite noise, but the day-to-day operation. I work from home several days a week so I'm fretting a little bit about there being unending screams starting at 7.30am.

Equally, the draw of somewhere I can blast music in the evenings and not disturb anyone is very strong and almost unheard of for my budget. Easily 99.99% of places share a ceiling or floor with someone else's house, so I can handle a moderate amount of daytime disturbance in exchange.

Obviously I will go at some point and visit during working hours, but with how hot the property market is, I would need to put in an offer basically immediately on Monday, then back out later if I found that the floors were made of papier mache and the nursery only catered to the children of professional yodelers. Also since it's through an estate agent, and the property has previously just been short term rented, there's no current tenants to ask.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeza posted:

My viewing is afternoon on a weekend so it will be dead quiet, but my small/stupid question is: how loud is that kind of nursery generally? Like on the inside? I know kids running outside make infinite noise, but the day-to-day operation. I work from home several days a week so I'm fretting a little bit about there being unending screams starting at 7.30am.

That's basically impossible for anyone in this thread to answer. It'll depend entirely on the building, the grounds, the kids, the activities, and a bunch of other factors.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a section of the forums where torrents / private trackers are discussed?

Also, I realise I only ever really post in a select few threads, most of which are in Games. I see all the other sections of the forums but I don't understand half of it because it's all abbreviated. Any advice on how to branch out?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What are you interested in?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a reason why :filez: is an emote. We're not supposed to discuss piracy here.

As for branching out, just poke around and see if any threads sound interesting. Many forums have "don't know what to do, go here" threads that can help you get started.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Also 2022 SA Forums are a lot more friendly than they were in the past haha

There was definitely a period I felt really confined to a subforum, like I felt like such an impostor poking my nose in, say, Goons with Spoons or whatever it's called now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goon Boots posted:

the incandescent light bulb in the link is also noteworthy in that it gets up to around 3000 kelvin in actual temperature

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/AlexanderEng.shtml

interestingly, a lot of the EM radiation emitted by an incandescent light bulb is actually outside of the visual spectrum and the amount of visible light produced compared to all radiation is actually very low

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb#Efficacy_and_efficiency

To expand on this, the trick of the halogen lamp is that the namesake halogen gas picks up sublimating tungsten from the filament and re-deposits it where it belongs.

This enables the filament to be run a few hundred kelvins higher without absurdly short lifetime. At this higher temperature, the emissions curve is shifted such that there is proportionally less infrared and proportionally more visible light.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

Is there a section of the forums where torrents / private trackers are discussed?

Also, I realise I only ever really post in a select few threads, most of which are in Games. I see all the other sections of the forums but I don't understand half of it because it's all abbreviated. Any advice on how to branch out?

As mentioned, piracy is still not allowed on the forums, although moderation is a bit more lax than it used to be.

But as for branching out, most of the forums are pretty obvious in their names I feel, except for the pink ones (FYAD, BYOB, YOSPOS, CSPAM, etc). Just go wherever, read the threadlist, lurk a few pages before posting and it's all cool and chill.*

*Rivalry between CSPAM and D&D not included.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just go on safari, there's a lot of weird and cool threads out there. I have less than zero interest in knitting or gardening so the threads in DIY are bizarrely interesting, its like a portal into another world. Think twice about your contribution before posting in threads that are obviously dedicated to a specific profession or lgbtqi+ etc. Like the healthcare professional thread is fascinating but they get enough poo poo from random folks at their workplace.

E:

BonHair posted:

most of the forums are pretty obvious in their names I feel, except for the pink ones (FYAD, BYOB, YOSPOS, CSPAM, etc).

PHIZ and imp zone are kinda in the same group I feel

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 1, 2022

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Platystemon posted:

To expand on this, the trick of the halogen lamp is that the namesake halogen gas picks up sublimating tungsten from the filament and re-deposits it where it belongs.

This enables the filament to be run a few hundred kelvins higher without absurdly short lifetime. At this higher temperature, the emissions curve is shifted such that there is proportionally less infrared and proportionally more visible light.

That's cool! I didn't know that the filament sublimates, but I guess that's why bulbs eventually burn out when they lose too much material.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
A few years ago I saw a video where a Chinese kung fu master demonstrated his skill in withdrawing his testicles into his “abdomen.” To show that he could really do it he had a disinterested 3rd party (not a student but part of the film crew) grab his genitals and the guy, shocked, says his testicles were indeed not there. Assuming he didn’t have an orchiectomy and didn’t use a stooge, what physically can withdraw the testicles and drop them on command? Is this a really dangerous skill which is why you never see it?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A few years ago I saw a video where a Chinese kung fu master demonstrated his skill in withdrawing his testicles into his “abdomen.” To show that he could really do it he had a disinterested 3rd party (not a student but part of the film crew) grab his genitals and the guy, shocked, says his testicles were indeed not there. Assuming he didn’t have an orchiectomy and didn’t use a stooge, what physically can withdraw the testicles and drop them on command? Is this a really dangerous skill which is why you never see it?

Wait, is that that hard? I can do it. They sort of... pop up what feels like behind the bone. The coccyx? Leaving the scrotal sac sort of there but more or less empty seeming. I use the same muscles I might use to flex my abs at the same time as sucking in my stomach, but... well, you know, it's sort of tricky to articulate. You can't see it but I'm doing a lot of gyrations and hand motions that help illustrate it. I figured this was something anyone could do.

I can also do a wicked "stomach vacuum" that spooks a lot of people so maybe that uses the same muscles?

Hey, here's a question: People who use the women's restroom: why is there poo poo everywhere? I used to clean bathrooms for a living, and the men's room consistently has piss everywhere but at least there wasn't poo poo everywhere like in the women's restroom. 100% of the women's restrooms I've cleaned have been nightmares compared to the relative conditions in the men's room. Yeah, piss everywhere in the men's room; piss on the handles, on the seats, on the wall, on the floor, piss piss piss. But the women's restrooms have poo poo on the seats, poo poo on the rim, poo poo on the floor, poo poo poo poo poo poo. The way I think it happens is perhaps a lot of women don't want to sit on the toilet seats? So maybe they do a squatting thing above the bowl, and loving miss like a stormtrooper? Or maybe they stand in front of the toilet, facing away, bend over and just let blast all over the direction of the toilet? I've done custodial work at a department store and a university and the conditions were the same :\

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 1, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Sorry but I just refuse to believe that there's someone out there who thought that all men have the ability to retract their testicles up into their abdomen at will.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Human Tornada posted:

Sorry but I just refuse to believe that there's someone out there who thought that all men have the ability to retract their testicles up into their abdomen at will.

And worse, another person, who can do it without much effort and thinks that this is a completely normal ability

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Human Tornada posted:

If this is directed at me I DON’T think everyone with testicles can do that, I was just wondering what was going on with this guy who supposedly could.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 1, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t think it’s terribly uncommon. Mine can pop back into my inguinal canal and back out without too much effort.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

Hey, here's a question: People who use the women's restroom: why is there poo poo everywhere? I used to clean bathrooms for a living, and the men's room consistently has piss everywhere but at least there wasn't poo poo everywhere like in the women's restroom. 100% of the women's restrooms I've cleaned have been nightmares compared to the relative conditions in the men's room. Yeah, piss everywhere in the men's room; piss on the handles, on the seats, on the wall, on the floor, piss piss piss. But the women's restrooms have poo poo on the seats, poo poo on the rim, poo poo on the floor, poo poo poo poo poo poo. The way I think it happens is perhaps a lot of women don't want to sit on the toilet seats? So maybe they do a squatting thing above the bowl, and loving miss like a stormtrooper? Or maybe they stand in front of the toilet, facing away, bend over and just let blast all over the direction of the toilet? I've done custodial work at a department store and a university and the conditions were the same :\

Every janitor complains about the cleanliness of the women’s restroom, but every trans person complains about the men’s. Such a paradox.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I can't pop my testicles back into my body but can phase them in and out of the mortal plane with minimal effort. It's great for birth control / not getting kicked in the nuts.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe I should see the example of this. My testicles don't go up into my abdomen but they can be sucked up to where the scrotum is kind of just a... ugly decoration.

I can also invert my penis.

I just assumed these were things folks with dicks could do. I've never had this conversation with anyone before.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been told many times that women's restrooms are horrible because women are more likely to try to hover above the seat because they think their rear end needs to be protected from whatever they think is on there, and consequently miss and make a huge mess. I don't know if that's actually true or not because I don't use women's restrooms but it's distressingly plausible sounding to me honestly.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If this is directed at me I DON’T think everyone with testicles can do that, I was just wondering what was going on with this guy who supposedly could.

Nah it was more for credburn whose reaction to a real life Pai Mei was "and this is news how?"

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Nah it was more for credburn whose reaction to a real life Pai Mei was "and this is news how?"

Ah, gotcha. As an aside, this wasn’t the original video, but it was this master: https://youtu.be/JVAEPl8rohY

I’d still love to know what’s going on down there…

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There's more likely to be a mother doing childcare things in a woman's bathroom, too? That's what I would imagine skews the waste presented into the poo poo territory.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

EricBauman posted:

And worse, another person, who can do it without much effort and thinks that this is a completely normal ability

It seems it's at least something it seems most could learn. It's a key part of a little-known sex act.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

There's more likely to be a mother doing childcare things in a woman's bathroom, too? That's what I would imagine skews the waste presented into the poo poo territory.

I’m going to guess it’s this.

When I was bartending, I had to check the washrooms before closing. The only differences were PISS in the men’s as has been noted and mounds of toilet paper everywhere every night in the women’s. Seriously egregious amounts of wadded up toilet paper, we killed a rainforest every night. The places I bartended didn’t have families with young children so I’m guessing that’s why the lack of poop

Fun finds:
Mystery bags of weed
A pineapple
A large black dildo, vibrating furiously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dirby posted:

It seems it's at least something it seems most could learn. It's a key part of a little-known sex act.

That was absolutely fascinating!