Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Oxyclean posted:

That wouldn't make it Meadows sending the message - it's from someone saying they heard from Meadows about the deposition.

It could be that it's being done on his behalf, but it seems like less of a slam dunk.

Perhaps re-read the message. "He wants me to let you know" is the most important phrase here.

Hopefully we hear more about the witness tampering during later hearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TheSpartacus posted:

Perhaps re-read the message. "He wants me to let you know" is the most important phrase here.

Hopefully we hear more about the witness tampering during later hearings.

I could text a witness that same sentence and put 'thespartacus' in there and it doesn't make it evidence that you're trying to witness tamper. It just makes it evidence that someone is trying to witness tamper and blame it on you.

Anyways the people involved are stupid enough that it's entirely possible that someone actually tried to witness tamper one degree from mark meadows from their home wifi network or something.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

That wouldn't make it Meadows sending the message - it's from someone saying they heard from Meadows about the deposition.

It could be that it's being done on his behalf, but it seems like less of a slam dunk.

Wtf? No. Just because he said, 'so and so told me to tell you' doesn't mean he isn't doing the tampering.

Someone else may also be doing tampering but it doesn't matter if so and so actually said it, the person conveying the message is the one making the threat and the is doing tampering.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Murgos posted:

Wtf? No. Just because he said, 'so and so told me to tell you' doesn't mean he isn't doing the tampering.

Someone else may also be doing tampering but it doesn't matter if so and so actually said it, the person conveying the message is the one making the threat and the is doing tampering.

It wasn't Meadows delivering the message. We still don't know who that was. the person delivering the message indicated the Meadows was aware they were being deposed.

Whoever delivered the message for sure did some tampering. Unclear if Meadows directly did or not.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I could text a witness that same sentence and put 'thespartacus' in there and it doesn't make it evidence that you're trying to witness tamper. It just makes it evidence that someone is trying to witness tamper and blame it on you.

Anyways the people involved are stupid enough that it's entirely possible that someone actually tried to witness tamper one degree from mark meadows from their home wifi network or something.

It gives a pretty strong reason to look into it however. They need to subpoena the texters phone records and depose the texter under oath immediately.

I fully expect to see phone records showing that Meadows called someone then immediately the guy texted the witness to intimidate them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm assuming they have because it was likely Hutchinson that gave them a heads up

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1542681156155580416

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm assuming they have because it was likely Hutchinson that gave them a heads up

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1542681156155580416

Probably also why they rushed her to take the stand, because if she had to go through that intense pressure for a few weeks or months she might have folded.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

I think that's what I'm saying? It's not hard evidence Meadows is tampering - whoever the message is from -is.-

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oxyclean posted:

I think that's what I'm saying? It's not hard evidence Meadows is tampering - whoever the message is from -is.-

Yeah, start taking down the easy targets to break down these creep's support system. Whoever sent the message goes to jail and fast. Then others will be far less willing to cooperate with these assholes when Meadows says "hey go intimidate this witness for me".

Seems pretty easy - scare people away from helping the monsters and eventually they have to get their hands dirty themselves, or stop witness tampering.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Meadows knew Hutchinson was deposed, and he then told Mr. E. Texter. Texter then reached out to try and intimidate Hutchinson. Whether Texter did so of their own accord or at Meadows' (implicit or explicit) direction is an open question. I wouldn't say that Texter acting on their own is the most likely scenario, but it's certainly possible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tampering is a fun word to say.

Tamper tamper tamper tampering

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Tamper bay buccaneers

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hey, Mister Tampering Man, make a call for me :sax:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Tampering is a fun word to say.

Tamper tamper tamper tampering

Tamper Tantrum

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Sorry, minsunderstood.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jethro posted:

Meadows knew Hutchinson was deposed, and he then told Mr. E. Texter. Texter then reached out to try and intimidate Hutchinson. Whether Texter did so of their own accord or at Meadows' (implicit or explicit) direction is an open question. I wouldn't say that Texter acting on their own is the most likely scenario, but it's certainly possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Kershaw#%22Working_Towards_the_F%C3%BChrer%22_concept

It's explicitly implicit.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

and here i am thinking that Texter was the proper name of someone, and i've been googling that for the past x minutes trying to find out what office they held.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Hey, Mister Tampering Man, make a call for me :sax:

:golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Tinker, Tamper, Donnie, Spy

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Hey, Mister Tamper Man, tamper me banana

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Tamper? I just met 'er!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Shiver me Tampers

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TAMPER!

*click*

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Blow me where the tampers is

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Please Universe, let it be ginnie thomas sending text threats.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I mean, that's most likely the way things went, but I can still see a scenario where Meadows was legitimately not worried about Hutchinson's testimony because he really thought she would put loyalty to Trump and Meadows above all, while the texter wasn't so sure and reached out on his own. Heck, I can even see a scenario where Meadows was right, until the text message drove her to say "perjure myself for these assholes? gently caress that."

Cimber posted:

and here i am thinking that Texter was the proper name of someone, and i've been googling that for the past x minutes trying to find out what office they held.

Sorry for my dad joke level pseudonym

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jethro posted:

I mean, that's most likely the way things went, but I can still see a scenario where Meadows was legitimately not worried about Hutchinson's testimony because he really thought she would put loyalty to Trump and Meadows above all, while the texter wasn't so sure and reached out on his own. Heck, I can even see a scenario where Meadows was right, until the text message drove her to say "perjure myself for these assholes? gently caress that."

Doesn't that scenario not matter in the midst of RICO? In either case Meadows should be liable for being part of the corrupt organization within which the witness tampering occured.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bel Shazar posted:

Doesn't that scenario not matter in the midst of RICO? In either case Meadows should be liable for being part of the corrupt organization within which the witness tampering occured.

That seems hard to prove without some kind of paper trail connection between him and the texter. Based on how these things have gone, they could just throw the texter to the wolves and say "I barely know that person and I never spoke with them about the witness". Then what?

Trying to stop witness tampering by drawing a connection all the way to the top before taking action is a total waste of time and resources. If you can get one arrested idiot to flip and squeal, it's much faster and easier.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That seems hard to prove without some kind of paper trail connection between him and the texter. Based on how these things have gone, they could just throw the texter to the wolves and say "I barely know that person and I never spoke with them about the witness". Then what?

Trying to stop witness tampering by drawing a connection all the way to the top before taking action is a total waste of time and resources. If you can get one arrested idiot to flip and squeal, it's much faster and easier.

Given that Mark Meadows has apparently never been seen without a drat phone in his hand and texts like some people breathe, I have a feeling 'paper trail' is going to be an antiquated term in his case. Also all that should be logged by the phone company unless I'm mistaken.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oracle posted:

Given that Mark Meadows has apparently never been seen without a drat phone in his hand and texts like some people breathe, I have a feeling 'paper trail' is going to be an antiquated term in his case. Also all that should be logged by the phone company unless I'm mistaken.

Yeah but I highly doubt he's sending messages like "hey go intimidate this lady so she doesn't testify". He's either doing it on a call, in person, or sending vague messages like "it would be a bummer if Hutchinson testified, huh?" And leaving the texter up to their own devices. These people act like morons but they're not dumb enough to spell out their crimes.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

Nobody involved in any of this is getting charged under RICO

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

These people act like morons but they're not dumb enough to spell out their crimes.

NARRATOR: They absolutely were.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah but I highly doubt he's sending messages like "hey go intimidate this lady so she doesn't testify". He's either doing it on a call, in person, or sending vague messages like "it would be a bummer if Hutchinson testified, huh?" And leaving the texter up to their own devices. These people act like morons but they're not dumb enough to spell out their crimes.

they hired multiple documentary crews to document their crimes

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yeah the phone company if the government asks will happily give up texts and other metadata. The hardest part usually from a prosecutor's point of view is putting a person to the phone and intent. But as you point out, if Meadows is a serial texter and has cooperation of his aides that might be significantly easier.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't expect anyone who makes more than six figures to be charged, unfortunately. Least of all Donald Trump and I'll :toxx: that he'll never EVER see the inside of a prison cell, let alone catch a charge from the DoJ. Giuliani too.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

Nobody involved in any of this is getting charged under RICO

I understand that we have a dysfunctional state incapable of justice, but they're still a corrupt organization and that's how RICO works, yes?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

See I think I I'm misunderstanding RICO. I thought the whole point was you didn't HAVE to draw a direct line all the way to the top. Everyone in the organization is guilty of all of its crimes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bel Shazar posted:

I understand that we have a dysfunctional state incapable of justice, but they're still a corrupt organization and that's how RICO works, yes?

See I think I I'm misunderstanding RICO. I thought the whole point was you didn't HAVE to draw a direct line all the way to the top. Everyone in the organization is guilty of all of its crimes.

You still gotta show *something*, it's just way less than the typical burden of proof for conspiracy

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

mdemone posted:

You still gotta show *something*, it's just way less than the typical burden of proof for conspiracy

Thought it was

1) All part of the same corrupt organization
2) Crime occurred related to the general activities of the organization
3) errbody in the organization is guilty

So you just had to show

The thing happened
It was related to the purposes of the organization
The people being charged were part of that organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bel Shazar posted:

Thought it was

1) All part of the same corrupt organization
2) Crime occurred related to the general activities of the organization
3) errbody in the organization is guilty

So you just had to show

The thing happened
It was related to the purposes of the organization
The people being charged were part of that organization

Yeah the second one there is the only real sticking point. But they could certainly give it a try.