Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lol at 41 for 2 vs 190

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Look those pigtails are very fancy

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

brugroffil posted:

Look those pigtails are very fancy

Literal cents worth of wire and dozens of cents of terminals!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

"Hey boss some internet people said we can probably just use regular gfci receptacles."

"Don't worry about it we bought a new one it'll be here Friday."

"Receptacles?"

"Welding machine."

Well, thanks anyway everyone.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It gets better, a lot of people ditch the gfci because they break often apparently, they just use gfci extensions.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Guyver posted:

"Hey boss some internet people said we can probably just use regular gfci receptacles."

"Don't worry about it we bought a new one it'll be here Friday."

"Receptacles?"

"Welding machine."

Well, thanks anyway everyone.

now they get to write off the cost of a new welding machine and someone in management gets a new welder at home :capitalism:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Think I found my next new old tool. A light duty brush cutter that I think is from the 1980s, and a very unknown model of Stihl (FS106). Seller wants 50 euros for it because he broke the idle screw on the carb and has to go around manually revving it, I think I can fix that. Useful around the yard I think, where I can't get with the scythe.

I'm also on the lookout for any of these brush cutters for heavier duty use:

-Husqvarna 65R (60s) and 165R (70s)
-Partner B11/B12 (late 50s) B172 (70s)
-Jonsereds RS44 or RS55

gently caress I need to buy some forest so I have something to do.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 30, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My handheld Ryobi grass/shrub trimmer is the tipping point of me needing to come up with a better organizational system for my tools.

Before all these DTO Ryobi sales, I was like 90% DeWalt. All my un-pictured yard tools are in my backyard shed. I’ve still got a couple Ryobi orders waiting to ship. Stupid sexy sales.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I want/need two specialized tools to finally stop abusing my screwdrivers. If there is nothing on the market I might just mod a few cheap generic tools.
1) I often need a small but sturdy pry tool. My electronics pry tools are way too delicate for this. So far I have always resorted to using the one small electricians flat head screwdriver/line indicator from my wiha kit. It's basically what I need, but I don't need the bulky shaft and line indicator function. I feel really bad abusing it like that. Any recommendations for something similar? The typical small screwdrivers of this size have very weak shafts that bend way too easy.

I also sometimes pry stuff with the wiha pry/hammer screwdrivers, but I would like a tool that can do that without scratching up metal parts. Is there some rubberized/plastic coated pry tool you could recommend for such purposes? If not, I might just have to abuse some heatshrink or some such.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

I want/need two specialized tools to finally stop abusing my screwdrivers. If there is nothing on the market I might just mod a few cheap generic tools.
1) I often need a small but sturdy pry tool. My electronics pry tools are way too delicate for this. So far I have always resorted to using the one small electricians flat head screwdriver/line indicator from my wiha kit. It's basically what I need, but I don't need the bulky shaft and line indicator function. I feel really bad abusing it like that. Any recommendations for something similar? The typical small screwdrivers of this size have very weak shafts that bend way too easy.

I also sometimes pry stuff with the wiha pry/hammer screwdrivers, but I would like a tool that can do that without scratching up metal parts. Is there some rubberized/plastic coated pry tool you could recommend for such purposes? If not, I might just have to abuse some heatshrink or some such.

For #1 I'd just get some cheap flathead screwdrivers and don't feel bad about abusing them.

For #2 you want a "spudger".

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

For #1 I'd just get some cheap flathead screwdrivers and don't feel bad about abusing them.

For #2 you want a "spudger".

Like I said, the regular ones I find are too weak for proper abusive levering.

For spudger I only find ifixit tools that are made from plastic and way too delicate. I want some proper brute force tools.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've been eyeing these for awhile, maybe they are too small for what you want, though.
https://countycomm.com/products/widgy-pry-bars

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

taqueso posted:

I've been eyeing these for awhile, maybe they are too small for what you want, though.
https://countycomm.com/products/widgy-pry-bars

I've got the next to bottom one. Basic mini prybar.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SEKCobra posted:

For spudger I only find ifixit tools that are made from plastic and way too delicate. I want some proper brute force tools.

I often use automotive trim tools as larger spudgers. Some are plastic, some are metal. Even the plastic ones hold up better than spudgers due to being thicker.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEKCobra posted:

They sell demolition screwdrivers that are basically mini pry bars and chisels in one. But really most any flat head screwdriver with a solid steel shank ought to do it

For #2, could you cut a shim or wedge from wood and lightly hammer that in between whatever you want to pry? That’s what I do for removing wood trim

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

They sell demolition screwdrivers that are basically mini pry bars and chisels in one. But really most any flat head screwdriver with a solid steel shank ought to do it

For #2, could you cut a shim or wedge from wood and lightly hammer that in between whatever you want to pry? That’s what I do for removing wood trim

I am not removing trim, I am manhandling metal parts with exposed surfaces and want to avoid marrinv those, so metal on metal contact is what I am trying to avoid. The tool definitely still needs a metal core to handle the forces I am putting on it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SEKCobra posted:

I am not removing trim, I am manhandling metal parts with exposed surfaces and want to avoid marrinv those, so metal on metal contact is what I am trying to avoid. The tool definitely still needs a metal core to handle the forces I am putting on it.

What about taking one of those nice little prybars and coating the business end with some enamel?

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Are These beefy enough? https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-pc-63594.html
If not, how about an aluminum bronze pry bar?
https://www.mcmaster.com/5927A31

If you feel really fancy:

https://www.mcmaster.com/Pry-Bars/nail-pulling-nonsparking-pry-bars

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 1, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just bumped into Michael K Woodworks on Etsy and thought of y'all. He makes beautifully turned and finished replacements for Stanley and Lie Nielsen plane handles and knobs.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEKCobra posted:

wrap a pry bar in painters tape

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Gothmog1065 posted:

Seeing if anyone has any recommendations.

I've been using the Oregon cordless sets for a while and was going to invest in their new PH system (Power head, has a single battery unit, with multiple 'attachments'). Was going to start with the pole saw and hedge trimmer and potentially branch out from there. Naturally, as soon as I'm interested, they discontinued them. So, I'm wondering if there is another good brand I can look into. They don't have to ALL be part of an attachment system, but I do need a longer hedge trimmer to get some higher bushes, and Oregon simply doesn't have them anymore (at least not in the US). I know battery technology is ever evolving, but the Oregon stuff was decently powerful. I know there's Ego, Snapper, Kobalt, etc, but wasn't sure if there was anything that was better than the others.

I'm NOT looking for certain items like Chainsaws, Mowers, trimmers, etc as I have gas stuff that is more powerful.

I didn’t see this answered so I want to tell you I’m Husqvarna fanboy and they make a system like you’re looking for.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/combi-trimmers/combi-trimmer-attachments/

They’ve got hedge trimmers, hedge trimmers on a pole, and extra poles so you can put your hedge trimmer on a pole on a pole. The powerhead is called the “husqvarna 325ilk”

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/combi-trimmers/325ilk-with-trimmer-attachment/

Also, nobody asked this but have any of y’all tried the Oregon Powersharp chainsaw chain+bar+sharpener? https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/o...652%29/p/541652
This here thing fits on the Husqvarna 120i, which is the cheapest battery chainsaw Husqvarna makes, and it turns it into a loving lightsaber. I normally use one of those sharpening jigs to set the round file to exactly 30 degrees, and meticulously file every raker and every tooth every time I change the battery. But now I just jam the saw into a little yellow thing for 3 seconds and I’m back to chainsawing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've got a 9 amp-hour M18 battery that won't charge to anything close to full. The charger shows the green LED for 'healthy charged battery,' but the indicator on the battery itself shows only 50% and the battery is only charging to 18.5v. Is there anything I can do with this thing to get it to take a full charge?

Charger *does* work with another M18 battery, so I can't blame the charger.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

I've got a 9 amp-hour M18 battery that won't charge to anything close to full. The charger shows the green LED for 'healthy charged battery,' but the indicator on the battery itself shows only 50% and the battery is only charging to 18.5v. Is there anything I can do with this thing to get it to take a full charge?

Charger *does* work with another M18 battery, so I can't blame the charger.

Milwaukee's warranty is great if it's still within the window (3 years I think?). I had an 8ah battery fail similarly and RMAed it and they got me a new in box one within like a week.

In my case the battery was dying very fast under load too. You might test yours out and see if it's the same.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd try and warranty it.

I was looking at getting a 9ah battery for some of my Milwaukee poo poo, but I saw too many bad reviews. A lot of them describing the same thing you are.

I went ith the 8ah instead.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Batteries-and-Chargers/M18-Batteries-and-Chargers/48-59-1890

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

SEKCobra posted:

Would a metal core tire iron work?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-305D-Steel-Tire-Lever-Set

I have these and they've taken some punishment.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TacoHavoc posted:

Would a metal core tire iron work?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-305D-Steel-Tire-Lever-Set

I have these and they've taken some punishment.

This is definitely what I am going for, although I think I'd still want something with a narrower blade. But I'll probably just DIY something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I'd try and warranty it.

Unfortunately it's out of the warranty period.

And yes, what charge it is taking runs out quickly.

Guess I'll try disassembling it and manually charging individual cells and see how that turns out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Any reason why one shouldn't use a flap disc on a grinder to sharpen an axe blade?

I know work hardening exists, but it *seems* like a grinder w/flap disc would be fast enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
It'll work, but you will want to make sure you aren't positioned to get a kickback where the disc bites into the cutting edge of the axe. You'll want it so the discs rotation is over the blade towards empty shave, not over empty space then into the blade.

If that doesn't make sense (it probably doesn't) you might try clamping up some random piece of garbage metal and try putting an edge on it. Just make your mistakes on a scratch piece of steel and not something useful like an axe head.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Any reason why one shouldn't use a flap disc on a grinder to sharpen an axe blade?

I know work hardening exists, but it *seems* like a grinder w/flap disc would be fast enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

I’ve never really thought to associate work hardening with grinding processes of any kind. Regardless I’d think it’d be fine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Traditionally I've only ever used a file and wet stone and my nice axe is shaving sharp. I could see a flapper disc on a grinder causing a bit of heat if you really went to town, maybe not as much as a grinding wheel but getting the proper angle accurately might be tricky but I'm sure it will be fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That's kinda what I was thinking re grinding disc vs flap disc. A flap disc seems more like "sanding" than grinding. I've done lots of stuff with an angle grinder and seen lots of red-hot metal with a grinding disc but not very much if any using a flap disc.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
You can definitely get some heat with a flap disc with enough force. I used to sharpen lawnmower blades all the time with one and I could clearly see a change in hue for a second after I finished. But I was always going for speed and really got after it; with a little finesse I'm sure you'd be fine.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I've got this alaskan sawmill and something about it's been bugging me. The saw normally takes a few seconds to spin down when I take my finger off the trigger. But when it's clamped in the mill it stops pretty much immediately when I let go. Something is braking the chain and I think I know what it is.

Where the mill clamps to the bar it's flat on the bottom half of the clamp.

But on the top part of the clamp it's been ground down in the middle so it only grips on the sides.

I think this compresses the guide bar rail, bending it slightly and braking the chain. In fact if I clamp very tightly the chain won't go at all. If I'm correct, I think I should take a whetstone to the top half of the clamp and grind it smooth. It's only a few thousandths of an inch and shouldn't take long.

Is there any reason not to do this? I don't want to ruin my mill because I didn't understand something.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I want something that's not powered, that I can cut up branches in the back yard with. I don't have yard shears or a saw. I think I need some kind of saw.

Looking to spend as little money as possible but not end up with garbage. So a hand saw? Any recommendations?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redreader posted:

I want something that's not powered, that I can cut up branches in the back yard with. I don't have yard shears or a saw. I think I need some kind of saw.

Looking to spend as little money as possible but not end up with garbage. So a hand saw? Any recommendations?

For branches it's nice to have an aggressive tooth on a saw so it can do wet or dry wood, I usually use a camp saw or bow saw for hand sawing branches.

I can't find the one I have but it's something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Truper-30255-Steel-Handle-21-Inch/dp/B0052X7XV4/
I've also got one similar to this from my parents but it's not as comfortable to use because it can fold up, but it works well: https://smile.amazon.com/60th-Anniversary-Sven-Saw-Folding-Saw/dp/B002ZO526Q/

If you decide to go with a powered tool later there's a lot of cheap 4" hand chainsaws for $30-40 or you can get pruning blades for a sawzall.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rexxed posted:

For branches it's nice to have an aggressive tooth on a saw so it can do wet or dry wood, I usually use a camp saw or bow saw for hand sawing branches.

I can't find the one I have but it's something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Truper-30255-Steel-Handle-21-Inch/dp/B0052X7XV4/
I've also got one similar to this from my parents but it's not as comfortable to use because it can fold up, but it works well: https://smile.amazon.com/60th-Anniversary-Sven-Saw-Folding-Saw/dp/B002ZO526Q/

If you decide to go with a powered tool later there's a lot of cheap 4" hand chainsaws for $30-40 or you can get pruning blades for a sawzall.
Seconding a bow saw. A good one goes through wood a lot faster than you might imagine. Get as large a one as you can find so you can take nice big strokes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Seconding a bow saw. A good one goes through wood a lot faster than you might imagine. Get as large a one as you can find so you can take nice big strokes.

In Loosiana dat dat dat's a beausol lel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redreader posted:

Thank you!

Jumping on the bow saw rec, I’d also recommend grabbing a pole saw—ideally one with an integrated lopper

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars...-1002/300412758

Or get your own separate pole lopper

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-54-in-EZ-Reach-Stik-Tree-Pruner-92347935/100041609