Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dead Nerve posted:

YOU TOO CHIPMUNKS!

My wife has clear double-standards as it concerns chipmunks. They act and smell like rodents, but she considers them cute and welcome inhabitants of the backyard, where I think of them more like rat/squirrel hybrids. Brazen as gently caress too ever since we screened in our back porch. They have lost whatever fear they had of us. And our cat is an impotent non-threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

The figs on my tree have started to ripen, but 80% of them have been pecked at by birds. It's like they're loving with me; they just take a couple of pecks at each fig, rendering them useless.

I love birds; I feed them and they nest in the palm trees next door but I want my figs this year. The tree is too big to make a net effective, so I guess I'm stuck using things that may scare them off. Anyone have advice on using things other than a fake owl?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We always had pretty good luck with the old pie plate on fishing line solution at my mother in laws, she's got a bunch of pear trees that were getting just savaged every year. If you sling a few fishing weights in there the rattling will keep deer out pretty well too.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Tremors posted:

Peppers are finally planted!

This year's varieties: Bishop's crown, Alma paprika, Habanero sweet red, Chocolate ghost, Carolina reaper, Thunder mountain longhorn, Giant white scorpion, Thor's hammer, MA purple

Pepper update:

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mischief posted:

We always had pretty good luck with the old pie plate on fishing line solution at my mother in laws, she's got a bunch of pear trees that were getting just savaged every year. If you sling a few fishing weights in there the rattling will keep deer out pretty well too.

Oh man, I have some foil half sheet pans that I bought when I was doing food relief during the early days of the pandemic. They're too big to use for my family, so I've just got them sitting around. I bet I could cut some up into weird shapes that would blow around in the wind. With my luck, though, that would just attract some of the hundreds of crows in my neighborhood.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about deer in my home garden. We do have some property an hour away that gets deer, and someday I hope to revive the garden my grandparents had there, but that's a ways off and by the time it's feasible I'll be getting pretty long in the tooth. Having said that, and assuming it doesn't bother the neighbors, some sort of audible aspect sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yoruichi posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'd love some advice on starting vege seeds indoors. Is a florescent bulb sufficient or is it better to buy proper grow lights?

Not garden related, but That Old Ganon good work holding onto a vintage Thunderdome losertar. The 'dome is still going and is about to have its 10th birthday :)
Lmao thank you

You've reminded me that I looted some grow lights and I should figure out how to use them for my own veg seeds.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've got three braided hibiscus in my garden in terracotta pots, and ants are doing something weird with the blossoms of the red one:

What's going on here, and how do I put a stop to it?

also, tomato hornworms are jerks

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

My first thread title :3:

It turns out that my black hollyhocks weren't the culprits!

It was the peach hollyhocks i planted that came up red!
Either way, my Peaches N' Scream long game for Halloween is dashed.

fake edit: look at how Black those petals are!!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Peaches N Scream is the besssst idea.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got a bunch of cucumber vines that are already blossoming (like 3-5 blossoms per vine) BUT the vines are like 6-8" tall...just want to confirm what I read that I should pinch these off to encourage it to grow longer and up the trellis , so that if can have more blossoms later and be big enough to support the eventual fruits they'll grow into?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

I grow them to can pickles every year, and thats what i would do. Pretty confident you won’t kill that weed by picking its flower.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Tremors posted:

Pepper update:

Look how pretty!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got a bunch of cucumber vines that are already blossoming (like 3-5 blossoms per vine) BUT the vines are like 6-8" tall...just want to confirm what I read that I should pinch these off to encourage it to grow longer and up the trellis , so that if can have more blossoms later and be big enough to support the eventual fruits they'll grow into?

It won't grow more because you pick the flower, it'll just grow more with time and good weather. I had a cooler June and my cucumber have 3-4 fruit on each at less than a foot tall. They just grew 6" in the last couple days because it was warm enough.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My big take away this year is that I was way too cautious getting stuff started and in the ground. I have squash seedlings developing on the back porch while some folks in the community garden have plants that cover 2 square feet. My cucumbers are just getting to the heights where I can ziptie them to their trellises while other people have like plants that are climbing 1-2' already. My neighbors have 3-4' corn stalks and mine are at the stage where you're not 100% it's corn or another grass.

Basically the only thing I'm not getting plant envy about are my soy beans, my rice (I'm just growing a small amount in a kiddy pool because I want to see if I can grow a single bowl of rice), and sweet potatoes and mostly that's because none of my neighbors are growing those.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Rice is cool, and I love the idea of doing aquaculture with the rice. So you get most of a meal out of the pool.

The other thing that made my garden ready was getting a cover for when it’s too cold. We were having late weeks of 40-50 overnight temps and while the greens don’t care, the peppers and warm weather starts did appreciate the blanket. I’ve seen a few people around me even putting a translucent wrap on a tomato cage for a single pot. But those days where it does get warm they have a chance to grow healthy root systems and don’t have to play catch-up. The thing that seems to require just waiting for the weather is beans though, so very temperamental.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My tomatoes, particularly the sungolds, have me overrun. But I think keeping it to four plants this year instead of six should insulate me from the pest problems I developed late last year. And we're fruiting!

Three sisters bed is going pretty well. The birds have massacred my sunflowers, but they're still holding out pretty strong and my pole beans are using all 10+ feet of the mammoths. Dean's purple pole beans are really beautiful as hell. Goes with my purple asparagus too. Seminole pumpkins, not pictured, are trying to climb out of the bed now as is their way.

Hot peppers are getting a little crowded, so I may yank the marigolds at some point. A couple are just starting to flower, but if it's anything like last year, I will soon have more peppers than I can handle.

Potato buckets were a bit of a bust. The ratio of potato in to potato out isn't really there. Still got one more going strong though.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Whoa that's cool looking. I wonder if they are mallows, they look like a hibiscusey kind of flower and leaves.

e: yes they are I feel smart now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

DEATH TO GOPHERS

dealin with a groundhog sitch at the moment

I really don't want to kill it but

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Careful with them hollyhocks, I've got the same black ones and they readily self sow. Like growing in cracks on my porch and poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Whoa that's cool looking. I wonder if they are mallows, they look like a hibiscusey kind of flower and leaves.

e: yes they are I feel smart now.

I applaud your smug.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Been sawing through a bunch of fig limbs, tips for cleaning the blades? I've tried soap, isopropyl alcohol, elbow grease, but getting the sap off is a huge pain every time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Buck Turgidson posted:

Been sawing through a bunch of fig limbs, tips for cleaning the blades? I've tried soap, isopropyl alcohol, elbow grease, but getting the sap off is a huge pain every time

is your blade oiled?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buck Turgidson posted:

Be careful with fig sap. Fig sap and sunlight can give you a nasty burn.

Have you tried WD-40 or kerosene or something?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking to rehabilitate two of my plants and am looking for some advice!

The first is Orpheus, my towering but a bit leggy rubber plant:

I had him in a semi-sunny corner for too long, and he started dropping leaves and getting leggy, until my partner finally realized he needs wayyyyy more light. So we plunked him here and he's been thriving, but.. still leggy. Can I like, prune one of these taller stalks so he gets a bit bushier? I know I need to clear out the two dead pieces of there in the pot, as well, but that's easy peasy.

Second question, and similar to the first, regards my struggling nerve plant Oligo:

He's been attacked by cats and deprived of a bit of light for awhile, so I'm hoping I can get him back to his full leafy self. Should I just like, rebury some of those longer stalks?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Ok Comboomer posted:

is your blade oiled?

I usually only oil them for storage.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Be careful with fig sap. Fig sap and sunlight can give you a nasty burn.

Have you tried WD-40 or kerosene or something?

I know about the sap, it is pretty nasty if you get it on you. Main issue is it clogging up on my saw though! It's very sticky. I'll try the kerosene.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buck Turgidson posted:

I know about the sap, it is pretty nasty if you get it on you. Main issue is it clogging up on my saw though! It's very sticky. I'll try the kerosene.
I just learned about the sap the hard way so I'm spreading the word!

Other good solvents for sticky/pitchy stuff are paint thinner, naptha, and acetone (nail polish remover) if you have any of them on hand. Gasoline is a decent solvent too.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

If gasoline or acetone won't get it off I would be very surprised, just be careful. Gasoline can be extra spicy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

If gasoline or acetone won't get it off I would be very surprised, just be careful. Gasoline can be extra spicy.

There always seemed to be turpentine around to take care of pine and spruce sap, but if fig sap is stickier than that I’d hate to have one to deal with.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm interested in trying foliar feeding. I already have a pressure sprayer for neem oil, and I was wondering if I could combine the two and add both the oil/soap and the fertilizer to the sprayer at once. What do you guys think?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm interested in trying foliar feeding. I already have a pressure sprayer for neem oil, and I was wondering if I could combine the two and add both the oil/soap and the fertilizer to the sprayer at once. What do you guys think?

The fertilizer can cause your mixture to go bad, so if you don’t use it all it will start to grow. I use a separate spray bottle so I can use what I make and leave it empty between uses.

I’m not sure I’ve really noticed a difference on outside plants, but it at least helps my indoor plants stay cleaner and not collect dust on their leaves.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

I do a lot of spinosad/BT/fish or squid fertilizer from the same sprayers. I haven't used neem in a long time so not sure if the oil/surfactant part would make it chunk up but either way, Jhet is correct that you'll need to clean everything out each time. Just make sure you're treating early enough that everything dries by night or you can end up fixing a few problems and make more in the process.

Jhet posted:

There always seemed to be turpentine around to take care of pine and spruce sap, but if fig sap is stickier than that I’d hate to have one to deal with.

I don't think I've seen turpentine since my Papa's farm, I didn't even think that direction. Definitely safer than gas and should clean it up with maybe some fine steel wool.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mineral spirits/paint thinner/naphtha are all basically synthetic/petroleum-derived turpentine and usually cheaper, so try them first if you already have some laying around. Turps smells better tho. Naphtha is the hottest of the four and is great for cleaning stuff.

A strong cleaner/degreaser like Simple Green should work as well, and isn't so stinky.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I don't think I've seen turpentine since my Papa's farm, I didn't even think that direction. Definitely safer than gas and should clean it up with maybe some fine steel wool.

Yep, it's just what my grandfather had on the farm to clean stuff. I honestly keep it around as a cleaner for nostalgic reasons, but it does a good job too. Still smells a lot and you should use PPE in an enclosed space, but who cleans a sticky sawblade in an enclosed space. Just whip it out and do it before you cut down the next one, right?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've managed to germinate some seeds! My question is, since I put two seeds per pot and both germinated, do I just pull one out? Or will one overtake and kill the other eventually?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

I’m not sure I’ve really noticed a difference on outside plants, but it at least helps my indoor plants stay cleaner and not collect dust on their leaves.

There's a lot of hype and some research supporting silica, especialla monosilicic acid in a foliar to ward off powdery mildew and yield stronger plants etc. With weed it supposedly increases yields as well. study product

quote:

Foliar sprays with silicates are effective as pesticides. There is no systemic effect on plant growth, development and yield.

Foliar sprays with stabilized silicic acid enhance root and plant growth, yield and quality in monocots as well as dicots in almost any soil type. These sprays are very effective against biotic and abiotic stresses.

Sprays with silica nanoparticles have some positive effects on growth and yield and are capable of decreasing the infection rate.

The sSA and nano-SiO2 sprays can be classified as ‘biostimulants’. These sprays enhance nutrient uptake and nutritional efficacy and decrease abiotic and biotic stresses resulting in the stimulation of growth and yield increases. The use of sSA sprays allows a significant reduction in the use of pesticides without losing efficacy. Moreover, the sprays with stabilized silicic acid are safe for the plant and the environment. In view of these results, sSA deserves much more attention as an ecofriendly alternative to pesticides.

As sSA sprays are very effective against abiotic and biotic stresses, foliar sSA sprays should be used as an ‘insurance policy’ in suboptimal conditions, created for example by climate change and fluctuations in environmental conditions.

The other foliar people get excited about is kelp, for the micronutrients and biostimulants or something :biotruths:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 2, 2022

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That Old Ganon posted:

I've managed to germinate some seeds! My question is, since I put two seeds per pot and both germinated, do I just pull one out? Or will one overtake and kill the other eventually?

Plant them all, Fight Club style. I don't think I've ever culled a start.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s cool, I’m not against doing it, just never noticed it when I was trying it on my peppers. Then again I also never have mildew issues on peppers or most things outdoors. My shrubs get mildew, but they also get a copper treatment for it which you couldn’t use with cannabis.

Seaweed is all the rage here, and fish anything. We have a lot of both available. Fish manure or fertilizer does make my garden quite happy and is a good use for a byproduct of the fishing industry.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When you are culling, dont pull, just snip so that you dont disturb the roots of the one you wanna keep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mischief posted:

Plant them all, Fight Club style. I don't think I've ever culled a start.
I like this idea because (for some reason) I'd feel like a tremendous rear end in a top hat for quashing these adorable little guys. The purple tomatillos are so gd cute!

Dragon's Egg cucumber is back, this time I won't let it get crispy in our bullshit mega UV rays weather.

The Supersweet 100s F1 cherry tomatoes are silly, still wearing their seed cases.

I would be more confident in splitting the cherry tomatoes, not so much the tomatillos.

^^^Actually, that's great to know, I hadn't thought of snipping, just ripping

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 2, 2022