Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just finished up a 6 week process of attempting to unfuck labyrinth of poorly designed sql procedures, holy gently caress I'm ready for the closest thing to a vacation I can get (a 3-day weekend). Before this my primary experience with sql was just simple select statements, and now after stumbling through this bullshit I don't think I'm much further.

It was 3 different databases with procedures in each only referencing tables from the other 2 DBs. And whichever idiot initially wrote this needs to be keelhauled. Zero comments or documentation through the whole thing, and the naming conventions made no goddamn sense.

Even the package/procedure names were unreasonably hard to unravel. eg: packageName, packageName_1, packageName_2, packageName_a, packageName_v1 -- proc_1, proc_2, proc_v1, proc_v2, etc...

No documentation on which was actually being called by what so it was just all reading through thousands of lines and basically guess and check to find the actual flow. If you're going to refuse to delete unused lines, at least comment SOMEWHERE on what is actually used. Meanwhile my team lead is chewing me out daily for not finishing it, they're the classic type that doesn't actually understand anything technical, just wants checkboxes on Jira ticked.

I'm not sure if this is the norm everywhere, or just in my little corner of hell, but holy gently caress.

edit: page sniped with a rant, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so... how exactly does one fill up an entire /24 with DHCP reservations 'accidentally'?

Another interesting question which I've encountered in the past is

How does one manually assign enough hosts with static IPs inside a /24 DHCP scope that new VMs will fail to pull IPs because of collisions with the manually set hosts that don't use reservations

The answer of course is to not know how DHCP works or about the existence of reservations, but still...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If we want any networking equipment for February we need to get the plan approved and ordered TODAY

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Supply chain is a hell of a thing.

I have routers I ordered in October that still haven't arrived.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had HP docks on order for over a year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Filthy Lucre posted:

I have routers I ordered in October that still haven't arrived.

same boat. all the things that we ordered last July haven't shown up yet so we lost the budget for them since we couldn't pay out that PO.

RIP new core switch.

GreenNight posted:

I've had HP docks on order for over a year.

Yeah we ordered Surface docks 6 months ago and no idea when they'll show up.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My UCS blades just arrived. I ordered them late July last year.
At home, I ordered a new short block for one of my cars in September and it's still on a boat somewhere?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Filthy Lucre posted:

This is just as much internal scheduling, approval, etc as anything supply-related. The switches are probably already in a warehouse somewhere and owned by us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man I love Nextdoor. Some old guys just posted - completely unsolicited:

quote:

Microsoft destroyed my computer and other neighbor's computer that I asked about. I have mostly Brother printers and if you have a Win 10 and use Edge you can not attach a Brother printer. I have a Win 7 which does NOT to update Microsoft if you set to check whether you want it. Win 10 only lets you do it later (they control your computer). Microsoft modified my computer to match what they do in 10. They made one of my printer unusable. If you try to check Brother websites There is "Brother-USA.com is currently undergoing scheduled service for a system migration. The site will be down through July 5th. We apologize for any inconvenience" early they had a big red info on them. I suspect they are going put it back. Microsoft also made Internet Explorer unusable. I can understand updates, they are doing the opposite. There is a fix to make Explorer work, but some websites will not work. When I bought my XT computer part of payment is a working program, and Microsoft is reducing what you can do. I worked for IBM and we would notify customers that thee would be any updates, we would never kill it. What do the lawyers think?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:cloud:

I wonder what he did for ibm, these may be the ramblings of a Mainframe Elder

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I was curios and Brother did shut its website down for the weekend. I have not seen retail do that since the early 00s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes this perfectly fits my job description, of course I will make sure people wear their masks in between creating new accounts.

(from beavis and butthead movie)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Yes this perfectly fits my job description, of course I will make sure people wear their masks in between creating new accounts.

IT Support deals with viruses, is it really that different

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Buff Hardback posted:

Your Moderna subscription has expired.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Buff Hardback posted:

AV vendors really hosed up not giving away free branded masks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BonoMan posted:

Man I love Nextdoor. Some old guys just posted - completely unsolicited:

I mean, forced updates are annoying, but I seriously doubt they “destroyed” the computer. Sorry your 20-year-old printer no longer works, but that’s on Brother, not Microsoft :capitalism:
Any bets on whether or not he votes for the party who loves giant corporations that run roughshod over consumers? Irony!

GreenNight posted:

AV vendors really hosed up not giving away free branded masks.

My company did, at least for the employees. Not sure if marketing did, though of course there were very few conferences to give them away at during that period.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Darchangel posted:

I mean, forced updates are annoying, but I seriously doubt they “destroyed” the computer. Sorry your 20-year-old printer no longer works, but that’s on Brother, not Microsoft :capitalism:
Any bets on whether or not he votes for the party who loves giant corporations that run roughshod over consumers? Irony!

My company did, at least for the employees. Not sure if marketing did, though of course there were very few conferences to give them away at during that period.

What is it about it nerds that encourage crazy aggressive posts out of nowhere?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sickening posted:

What is it about it nerds that encourage crazy aggressive posts out of nowhere?

We often have intense feelings about inconsequential things and very little socialization?

Edit: I do not except myself.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
My boss just emailed me that he "fixed" the login script?

I didn't know that it was broken or that it even did anything, or that we were even using it. Actually I mean I know that it's invoked by a GPO and that it's supposed to write to a text file that %username% logged in but like... we have security logs for that?

It's 1:15am. It's a holiday weekend. I think he's finally cracked.
I can't wait to see what fresh new hell results from whatever the gently caress he did on Tuesday.

e: I just realized that this probably stemmed from him needing to feel useful and in control of something after our week long excursion into backups and him not fully grasping the most basic concepts like the difference between incremental and differential.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
that's a serious issue, make sure to overclock your PSU so the login script doesn't override the SaaS

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

edit : false alarm lol this industry folks

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 3, 2022

App13
Dec 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

lol I was the covid coordinator for my last company. Something about being the sole sysadmin AND the covid coordinator sort of... rhymes?

Like, "I know better than all of you so just listen unless you want to catch a virus" applies equally to both, and is perfect nerds such as myself.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Covid Coordinator could be a villain or band name

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea I love a datacenter outage on a holiday

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
condolences

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That’s what you get for not using the cloud

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our fsmo roles are in our on-prem dc in our office, but it is well engineered with proper generator, dual internet/everything. That said, if it went down we could still operate with all key systems in azure once the roles were seized if necessary, a ton of poo poo is SaaS through Okta.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Since the company was on the verge of bankruptcy and doing poor people poo poo of prioritizing bills I made extra certain that HP support for our HCI was at the top of the list of do not let this lapse. Thank gently caress.

Dude logged in, let out a knowing “ah!” and went straight to work. I appreciate hearing that confidence and making it look easy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hell yea I love a datacenter outage on a holiday

jaegerx posted:

Reminds of a story in the WSJ last week about how Wal-Mart has come up with a way to switch their Cloud between GCP, Azure, and their own infrastructure in the event of any outages or performance issues. They are actually shopping it around to see if other companies would use their hybrid approach.

Folks, we are this close to Wal-Mart Professional Services being a reality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visual Basic is the silliest programming language ever invented. You can declare variables friends and create private sub bottoms. I'm not even kidding.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Reminds of a story in the WSJ last week about how Wal-Mart has come up with a way to switch their Cloud between GCP, Azure, and their own infrastructure in the event of any outages or performance issues. They are actually shopping it around to see if other companies would use their hybrid approach.

Folks, we are this close to Wal-Mart Professional Services being a reality.

There are a couple startups that offer this service as well

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s really not that impressive at this point if you have a handle on your data layer, but getting all that data synced between public clouds would be a loving nightmare. No thanks. Stateless apps in containers and IAC and the fact that all the public clouds offer the same poo poo makes it easy to deploy the same thing over and over wherever you want

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

Visual Basic is the silliest programming language ever invented. You can declare variables friends and create private sub bottoms. I'm not even kidding.

hey don't kinkshame

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

hey don't kinkshame

omegaverse-compliant coding standard

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jaegerx posted:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/fedex-to-close-data-centers-retire-all-mainframes-by-2024-saving-400m/

FedEx to close data centers, retire all mainframes by 2024, saving $400m
Company looking to go all-in on cloud

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/fedex-to-close-data-centers-retire-all-mainframes-by-2024-saving-400m/

FedEx to close data centers, retire all mainframes by 2024, saving $400m
Company looking to go all-in on cloud

Next AWS hiccup and now your packages don’t arrive. Good times.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so fuckin bad being a computer toucher and you got your home setup and everything is fine but you just want to start hauling out all the chintzy consumer grade poo poo you have and start needlessly installing enterprise switches and stuff for absolutely no good reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ptier posted:

Next AWS hiccup and now your packages don’t arrive. Good times.

https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/cyber-attacks/368332/delivery-firm-yodel-confirms-disruptive-cyber-attack

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

codo27 posted:

Its so fuckin bad being a computer toucher and you got your home setup and everything is fine but you just want to start hauling out all the chintzy consumer grade poo poo you have and start needlessly installing enterprise switches and stuff for absolutely no good reason.

Compromise and buy a bunch of Ubiquiti stuff. My USG-Pro has 2 LAN and 2 WAN ports/sfps so I can not only have ISP failover, but I also get to completely physically segregate traffic so that guest/smarthome poo poo doesn't touch my important stuff.

What's bad is when you start buying 48 port POE switches because "maybe I'll need a bunch of cameras or IP phones" one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise kit at home? In this economy?