Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1543947997146497026?s=20&t=j5qCctc9RyIildMoeevOnw

Sounds pretty ambitious but they'll be hard-pressed to make that 2nd season not seem rushed as hell :stare:

Cynicism levels slowly declining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they very deliberately use that season 2 structure to show Andor getting more and more jaded and broken every year it could just about work. That has the be the laser focus of the season though if they miss the jump of giving the impression that time has passed and stuff happened then it'll be terrible.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I say this before every new Star Wars thing that's come out since Disney bought the franchise, but hopefully this Andor series has some wiggle room to do something new with the franchise instead of constantly revisiting the well. I'm sick of them bringing back dead characters, making unnecessary prequels to later ones or giving random props from other films ultimate cosmic significance.

It really was an odd choice to pick Andor to lead a series about. Hell, I barely even remember his character from Rogue One, so I'm assuming general audiences won't remember him at all. This could be a good thing - it might represent a willingness to try out something different, though more than likely I'm sure we'll end up seeing something else badly shoe horned in for some reference or another.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

2house2fly posted:

Maybe with this level of effort it could be the first Star Wars TV show where D+ is just the streaming service it's on and not also its review score

Lul

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Morally-gray skullduggery isn't a direction SW has historically done much and/or well, but it can draw from a wealth of film inspiration of OSS/SOE/spy/commando movies about the World War II. Drawing WW2 imagery into a Star War is something I can absorb an infinite amount of.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Gotta be a double u, just like Joruus and Luuke
Lwke

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Madurai posted:

Morally-gray skullduggery isn't a direction SW has historically done much and/or well, but it can draw from a wealth of film inspiration of OSS/SOE/spy/commando movies about the World War II. Drawing WW2 imagery into a Star War is something I can absorb an infinite amount of.

I have zero faith that D+ can pull off morally grey, unfortunately, my bet is that the stuff at the start of Rogue One will be darker than anything he does in the show

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 4, 2022

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I'm just now watching Kenobi because my self-hate has peaked sufficiently and I'm sure this has been commented on to death, but jfc the score/music editing. This person should never work again. Like a SciFi monster movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Of course the music's hosed up - for some reason they thought they wouldn't be allowed to use the music from Star Wars in their Star Wars show, so they just did cheap soundalikes.

Composer Natalie Holt posted:

When I started up on this project, we weren't sure that we were going to be allowed to use the John Williams themes. Deborah [Chow] was saying to me, "I think we need to score the show as if we're not going to be able to use them." She was like, "I don't want to find out that we can't, so let's make it work without. Let's do our own thing."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OK we've got Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, lightsabers, Star Destroyers, and about every other piece of visual imagery that is Star Wars for this Star Wars TV show made by the company that will own Star Wars in purpiuity throughout the universe.

Not sure we can use the music though.

(did they consider asking?)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The only thing I can think of is maybe they have to pay John Williams some royalties or other fees depending on the scenario the old music is being re-used?

I was wondering why the music was rear end and they weren't re-using the old themes. Obi-wan, Leia, and Vader of course all had one.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 5, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Music people being the only fuckers on the planet who have better lawyers than film and TV companies probably applies here. I learned a lot about that in college/film school.

The dude who made the most money from M*A*S*H was the guy who wrote the song in the movie they used for the show's theme tune. Like, by several orders of magnitude.

It's probable, given what we've just heard, that Williams' camp still gets a huge amount of money if they use his stuff, even if he may not have a say in whether or not it gets used. That'd be enough to introduce doubt enough that new creators wouldn't count on having it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Piell posted:

I have zero faith that D+ can pull off morally grey, unfortunately, my bet is that the stuff at the start of Rogue One will be darker than anything he does in the show

This is where I'm at also. I would love a nice gritty war focused show or movie but I don't see it happening. One thing I keep referring people to was the battlefront book came out in like 2014 or so. It wasn't anything special but it was great in the way it followed a squad of rebels from battle to battle and how they were constantly under supplied and stretched thin. A show about that would be great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Isometric Bacon posted:

It really was an odd choice to pick Andor to lead a series about. Hell, I barely even remember his character from Rogue One, so I'm assuming general audiences won't remember him at all. This could be a good thing - it might represent a willingness to try out something different, though more than likely I'm sure we'll end up seeing something else badly shoe horned in for some reference or another.

My guess is it's like Bad Batch and the titular character(s) is partly an excuse to tell stories set in the time-period.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Rebels crossover (for Ahsoka) too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We open on Andor

*camera pans over the frozen waste of the Andorian home planet*

Star Trek is Star Wars now. Ready yourself.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Andor the show is about Andor but it's also about the rebellion being born and it has split protags with Mon Mothma being the other one

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Sash! posted:

OK we've got Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, lightsabers, Star Destroyers, and about every other piece of visual imagery that is Star Wars for this Star Wars TV show made by the company that will own Star Wars in purpiuity throughout the universe.

Not sure we can use the music though.

(did they consider asking?)

The full quote says that they did actually have John Williams watch it and he "gave permission" for his themes to be used in Episode 6 specifically:

https://twitter.com/guysmusiccave/status/1540702094801440768

I highly doubt there was any legal or rights reasons they had to ask him for permission, I think it's more they didn't want to piss off John Williams.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It's not even a matter of it being Star Wars music or not, it's that its youtube EPIC TRAILER RECUT inception horn poo poo constantly. It just doesn't let up. Even in scenes where it's doing dumb "remember this" stuff the music doesn't match the reference, like we're just watching some probes being launched and it sounds like a tsunami is about to hit in a disaster film. Since they're using all this procedural Ubisoft stuff now to fill in low-effort CGI, maybe they've just done the same with the music editing.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Finally what we've all been waiting 45 years for from the franchise: the epic Uncle Owen / Aunt Beru action scene. Maybe she can make someone sick with blue milk, or he can shock someone with his vapor condensors. Maybe child Luke can kill the Youngling Inquisitor in cold blood and call her a womp rat while jimface mugging at the camera while Kingo quips "now THATS a saber-drop moment".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Bull's-eyeing a womp rat is what I call dropping a deuce in a urinal.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They have Ludwig Göransson who is not only a great composer, but great at making the music fit the sound design as well as the specific vibe of a scene. Why they don't have him doing literally every Star Wars thing just like John Williams did I don't know.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Natalie Holt is a good composer, she was just handed a dumb set of guidelines to start off with on this. Mando guy just gets to do his own thing because there are no existing mando themes - or expectations - but everyone has a set idea when it comes to Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan and Leia, and the director tied one arm behind their back. By the time Williams was asked, it was likely already too late.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hakkesshu posted:

They have Ludwig Göransson who is not only a great composer, but great at making the music fit the sound design as well as the specific vibe of a scene. Why they don't have him doing literally every Star Wars thing just like John Williams did I don't know.

Natalie Holt did a great job on Loki though.

It really think it was an issue outside of the specific composer, similar to how Rogue One had one of Giacchino's blandest scores.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is all on Deborah Chow and her terrible decisions.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The one thing that confounds me is that both Mando S2 and BOBF (scored by Göransson and his working partner Joseph Shirley respectively) have Williams themes show up at multiple, prominent points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gum9bVWboY&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftNnSM_VnTM&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3OlQlnJM10&t=63s

And yet these interviews are saying they didn't get permission for these shows (thus leaving the implication that they didn't use Williams themes in Mando and BOBF)

Something's not adding up here.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
they used the star wars galaxies combat theme during the space chase

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

[And yet these interviews are saying they didn't get permission for these shows (thus leaving the implication that they didn't use Williams themes in Mando and BOBF)

Something's not adding up here.

Plus Obi-Wan Kenobi was the one show that had an original piece written by John Williams.

If there was any of the Star Wars shows that would have permission to use Williams, it's Kenobi.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

thrawn527 posted:

Plus Obi-Wan Kenobi was the one show that had an original piece written by John Williams.

If there was any of the Star Wars shows that would have permission to use Williams, it's Kenobi.

I would bet that Williams' theme and permission came in very late in the show's production. All of the cues in the show that actually used Williams' new theme were written by a different composer (William Ross), so it's likely that Natalie Holt wrote the score before all this happened, under the impression that she couldn't use any existing themes, and then they brought someone else in to add in the new theme after it was written.

It's all a bit of a mess but I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This music stuff is so weird. I honestly thought it was an artistic choice- save the iconic Darth Vader music for the last scene to give it some oomph. Why on earth wouldn't they be able to use the Star Wars music in Star Wars? I finally got around to watching the final season of Rebels recently and they use the movie themes all the time. And that's a kid's cartoon.

I can't imagine why they'd refuse to let them use the music. Is "can't get" juts a euphemism for "don't want to pay for"?

I'm all for musical new themes and taking Star Wars in new directions generally- it's why the Mandalorian was so good- but if you're ever going to want to just wallow in nostalgic music it's gonna be the Obi Wan Kenobi show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Eiba posted:

I can't imagine why they'd refuse to let them use the music. Is "can't get" juts a euphemism for "don't want to pay for"?

But pay who? Do we really think John Williams owns the rights for the music he made for Star Wars? I cannot imagine that's the case. And if it's not, Star Wars doesn't need to pay Star Wars to use its music.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The other reason Natalie Holt gave for not including the iconic themes was that they didn't exist yet:

Natalie Holt posted:

So where the series is set is before A New Hope and after the, uh, you know... so it's kind of leading to that place. So we were being quite careful that we got to the place where those themes are in their genesis by the end of the series. But at the beginning, we're seeding. It's like Loki, where you're seeding big ideas that are leading you to episode 6. And this was the same thing except those ideas were leading to John Williams.

Which isn't true - anything that would make sense to show up in the Obi-Wan series was already established in the prequels. But Natalie Holt only watched the prequels once with her kid during lockdown, so probably doesn't remember which themes did or did not show up in them.

Natalie Holt posted:

During the lockdown, I've got a - she's just turned eight last weekend, but she was a seven-year-old during the lockdown. And we'd have a cinema night - or a couple of nights, if I'm honest - and we'd watch through Star Wars in order. We watched the prequels and then A New Hope, and... And so I'd just, even before I knew that I was going to do that [Obi-Wan Kenobi], I'd literally just watched the whole thing through with my daughter.

What was interesting was the prequels. I was slightly the wrong age for them when they came out, and then I think with the Jar Jar Binks character, I was kind of like, "Oh, I'm not sure. I think I'll stick with the original trilogy. I don't think I want to see those." I never even watched them. I watched the J.J. Abrams stuff, and Rogue One, and the Han Solo movie, but I hadn't seen them. So, it was really interesting to watch them with my daughter and appreciate them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Obi-Wan Kenobi soundtrack

Sensing Vader, Empire Arrives, Dark Side Assault, I Will Do What I Must, and Overcoming The Past are basically the Vader Suite

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

They used Battle of the Heroes in the trailer. The show desperately needed some rendition of that track imo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

The other reason Natalie Holt gave for not including the iconic themes was that they didn't exist yet:

Which isn't true - anything that would make sense to show up in the Obi-Wan series was already established in the prequels. But Natalie Holt only watched the prequels once with her kid during lockdown, so probably doesn't remember which themes did or did not show up in them.

l-loving-mao

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

When does the Bigger Luke show come out?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
opening crawl finishes. camera tilts down to a burning star destroyer crashed on the ground. moments pass and a huge robot fist smashes through the hull. gipsy danger emerges from the wreckage, cue pacific rim theme. crowd goes wild

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
today we are canceling the nerdpocalypse

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
masochistically decided to watch the boba fett show tonight. two episodes in and sure the Tusken raiders dances with wolves thing is pretty goofy but so far it's a great deal better than obi-wan, although that's not saying much. the music is pretty decent and the train sequence is well shot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Smythe posted:

opening crawl finishes. camera tilts down to a burning star destroyer crashed on the ground. moments pass and a huge robot fist smashes through the hull. gipsy danger emerges from the wreckage, cue pacific rim theme. crowd goes wild

I'm picturing it more like when the Hardass PMC Guy in Avatar jumped out of the burning gunship, hits the ground, and then the burning wreckage crashes behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boba Fett was a mess but an interesting one. They tried some stuff. There were crazy droids, hutt parades, lizard sniffing, cyber teens, Black Krrsantan, pig bros, lovely mayor Ithorian, Cad Bane, etc. You could at least point to it and go "hey that's a cool Star Wars thing" even if none of it came together in the end.

Obi-Wan both didn't come together and also had significantly less Cool Star Wars poo poo, and also looked like crap, and also sounded like crap. What we are left with is, eh some of the Vader fights were pretty cool?