Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Stuporstar posted:

I DNFed the first one because I hated the vapid chip-on-her-shoulder space marine dude-with-boobs main character and the mediocre cliche-ridden writing grated on me

I suggest reading the first chapter of book one to see if you can stand it before you buy (which I majorly regret not doing)

branedotorg posted:

I read the first two awhile back. It's big action set pieces and romance, not particularly compelling on either.

Although the character is tough, I'm not sure butch is how I'd describe her, especially as the romance interest is a brooding tough guy etc.

In my experience anything that says it's like firefly is pretty average and this one mentions it in every blurb

Judging by these and the fact it was on my wishlist as filler while I currently have a huge queue of both books to read and books to buy (including some goon stuff still) I passed for now, these are older books so they'll probably be on sale a few more times or I'll just get it from the library

Stuporstar posted:

One of the best butch female characters I’ve ever read is a main character in the goon-written web serial Into the Mire. I can’t recommend it enough https://intothemire.com
This has been bookmarked for later reading, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sibling of TB posted:

New Cradle is out

Just finished it. Cross posting my thoughts from the KU thread here:

Leng posted:

Just finished Dreadgod. I don't know how to describe it other than...it feels very similar to Bloodline and also this was the kind of experience that I wanted from Tongue Eater and did not get.

Dreadgod is very much a setup book, but a satisfying one. We got so many payoffs:
  • Yerin's advancement to Herald
  • Yerin vs Redmoon Hall
  • Lindon and Yerin vs Akura Malice
  • Dross getting fixed
  • Lindon killing the Silent King and then...whatever that advancement-that-is-not-really-an-advancement.
  • Emriss and Larian turning on the other Monarchs

Haven't really finished processing the book, but I think the reason why Dreadgod worked by Tongue Eater did not was a structural one. The payoff in Tongue Eater being the four-way warlock pact came way too early and then the rest of the book was a training montage for a showdown in the next book whereas in Dreadgod the plot is crap, we have limited time before the Monarchs and Dreadgods start coming down on us like a ton of bricks so we need to haul rear end and power up and then the climax is said power-ups happening and the main crew going toe to toe with Monarchs and Dreadgods and KILLING ONE.

I only have two minor complaints:
  • This book didn't have any big emotional moments for me where I felt like I got gutpunched, the way Underlord or Uncrowned or Wintersteel or Bloodline or Reaper did. We just didn't get enough time with Kelsa, Jai Chen and Jai Long for that subplot to have impact.
  • The fight scenes/action sequences lacked tension. We've got Iteration-destroying level fights with Suriel and Ozriel and we've got landscape/city destroying level fights with Lindon and co and I kind of miss the moments back in Blackflame and Ghostwater where the fights felt visceral. The techniques being wielded by all of the characters are on anime power scales now, to the point where I can't really conceivably weigh one against another and figure out which technique should defeat another. Will Wight could've written any of the fights going any which way and I would have just nodded along and gone, "oh okay, sure, yeah, why not?" It's why I thought the fight scenes in Reaper worked a lot better, since everybody was under a suppression field so it does make me worry about how I'll feel about the ultimate showdowns in Waybound
Overall, very much looking forward to Waybound though, because we've got some awesome character confrontations coming up, though part of me is wondering how the hell the book is going to be structured since Lindon and co are gonna be doing Ghostwater redux (but I think I appreciate that happening in the first part of the book, which is where I think the structural mistake in Tongue Eater was). I'm actually more intrigued by how the Abidan storyline is gonna wrap up compared to how Lindon and co will ascend, though surely it would all have to resolve with a new Court of Seven, because we'd have to get some Judges dying or some other shake up in the status quo.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kestral posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone write about this series in a way that peaked my interest, so now I'm considering checking these out. But I have to ask a potentially spoilerific question: do they eventually come to an answer of, "Maybe religion is Good Actually" and restore world religious practices? Because if so, I'll just pass on that series.

No, not really. There are some pretty weird religious twists and turns that begin literally in the first chapter of the first book, but the end result is definitely not "let's just return to how religion worked in the 21st century".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I forget who said weeks ago they love epistolaries but coming out this month:

The Moonday Letters by Emmi Itäranta

quote:

An effortlessly rich and lyrical mystery wrapped in a love story that bends space, time, myth and science, perfect for fans of Octavia Butler and Emily St. John Mandel.

Sol has disappeared. Their Earth-born wife Lumi sets out to find them but it is no simple feat: each clue uncovers another enigma. Their disappearance leads back to underground environmental groups and a web of mystery that spans the space between the planets themselves.

Told through letters and extracts, the course of Lumi’s journey takes her not only from the affluent colonies of Mars to the devastated remnants of Earth, but into the hidden depths of Sol’s past and the long-forgotten secrets of her own.

Part space-age epistolary, part eco-thriller, and a love story between two individuals from very different worlds.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower #2) by Stephen King - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ER7IRI/

Chasm City (Inhibitor #2) by Alistair Reynolds - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819TXR83/

Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CT0TXK/

The usual suspects by KJ Parker. See his author page to save space and my typing.
https://www.amazon.com/K-J-Parker/e/B001ILKHK8/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

pradmer posted:

Chasm City (Inhibitor #2) by Alistair Reynolds - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819TXR83/

Real good book and - despite the "Inhibitor 2" - one that was intended as and can be read as a standalone novel, if you've never dipped into Reynolds.

Although I'm halfway into Inhibitor Phase and boy howdy do I wish he'd closed the book on that city instead of deciding to revisit it again for a book that's not supposed to be anything to do with it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

tiniestacorn posted:

Have you read The Curse of Chalion by Bujold? Or A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar? Seems like those might be up your alley.

Quick follow-up, A Stranger in Olondria has been really enjoyable. Mayyyyyybe pushing the line between purple & lyrical but I don’t mind. I think the whole idea of “world-building” has been really overdone in a lot of shittier modern genre fiction and it’s used as an excuse to do encyclopedia exposition that has little bearing on the story, but in Olondria it’s all show, no tell, and it feels like a rich, vibrant, breathing place. Fun book!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

freebooter posted:

Real good book and - despite the "Inhibitor 2" - one that was intended as and can be read as a standalone novel, if you've never dipped into Reynolds.

Seconded. It's an excellent stand alone hard sci-fi novel.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Geisladisk posted:

No, not really. There are some pretty weird religious twists and turns that begin literally in the first chapter of the first book, but the end result is definitely not "let's just return to how religion worked in the 21st century".

I wish more books had more interesting things to say than "Religion bad", or (increasingly rarely) "Religion good", because I think you can say that religious fanaticism is bad without saying that the solution is early 2010s edgelord-atheism. I mean, I don't know the solution either, but I wish more people were trying.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
So I'm halfway through The Traitor Baru Cormorant and I like it quite a bit. I like Baru as a character. I like that the Empire of Masks isn't the stereotypical Evil Evildoers from the Land of Evil and that the harm they bring arises out of their assumption of superiority and what I mostly consider to be a "willful cultural neuroses" regarding gender, genetics and sexuality. I also like that so far magic and the supernatural doesn't seem to be a thing so far.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I wish more books had more interesting things to say than "Religion bad", or (increasingly rarely) "Religion good", because I think you can say that religious fanaticism is bad without saying that the solution is early 2010s edgelord-atheism. I mean, I don't know the solution either, but I wish more people were trying.

Agreed. I have almost nothing in common with the Catholic faith but if I see one more story where the Catholic Stand-in Religion are universally hypocritical monster people who are literally summoning demons or whatever I'm going to give it the most pronounced eye-rolling of its life. Maybe even a sour review. Oh, how they'll rue the day.

Even if you're entirely areligious, theology can be absolutely captivating and you can very easily hijack themes that'll get you easy props.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I feel like Hyperion did some interesting things with religion, not just saying It's Bad.

But I also read it like 20 years ago so that could be a bad take.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Walter M Miller is one of the top guys for saying things about religion especially in his short fiction. An absolutely fanatical but also ambivalent/idiosyncratic Catholic.

Everyone knows A Canticle for Leibowitz but his short story collections, most recently The Dark Benediction are worth tracking down.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Then there's Sisters of the Vast Black, which is about actual Catholics in space.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
That's something I like about Gareth Hanrahan's Black Iron Legacy. Religion plays a huge freaking role in the setting, and it's currently kind of a bad thing, but only because something has gone terribly wrong with the spiritual balance of the world.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni novels take the position that religion itself is fine and can even be a force for good, but organized religion can be abused if the wrong people are in charge.

Which, y’know, pretty reasonable position to take!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bujold's Chalion and Penric series are religious fiction for a religion that doesn't exist, except that they're also good.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Between Two Fires does some interesting things with judeo-christian religion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MartingaleJack posted:

Between Two Fires does some interesting things with judeo-christian religion.

Like claiming that such a thing exists?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, that's probably not the right formulation. It's doing interesting things with Catholicism, but I don't think it touched Judaism in any way?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

MartingaleJack posted:

judeo-christian religion.

:whitewater:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

It's kind of an objective fact that such a thing exists. Whether it's true/factual is the iffy part.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Kalman posted:

Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni novels take the position that religion itself is fine and can even be a force for good, but organized religion can be abused if the wrong people are in charge.

Which, y’know, pretty reasonable position to take!

I haven't read the Deryni books in probably 20 years. I wonder if they've held up.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fighting Trousers posted:

I haven't read the Deryni books in probably 20 years. I wonder if they've held up.

I reread them a couple years ago and… they held up okay? I did a chronological reread and the difference in writing quality over her career was pretty jarring though (since pub and chron orders are quite different.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I mentioned it a few pages back, but here it is again: The Book of the Dun Cow is the best talking-animals Christian allegory, and yes, I include Narnia in that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Everyone posted:

It's kind of an objective fact that such a thing exists. Whether it's true/factual is the iffy part.

It's really not. "Judeo-Christian" is a political term meant to conjure some vague sense of "Western Civilization" that ignores the existence and cultural contributions of that other major Abrahamic religion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

It's really not. "Judeo-Christian" is a political term meant to conjure some vague sense of "Western Civilization" that ignores the existence and cultural contributions of that other major Abrahamic religion.

And is usually used to push things that mainstream Judaism would disagree with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Jews for Jesus are absolutely Judeo-Christian

and also bullshit

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The more accurate term is probably "Abrahamic religion" since
1) it doesn't have the baggage of the term "judeo-christian";
2) similarly, it doesn't speak to the actual tenets and practices of the religions; and
3) it doesn't entirely elide a major world religion.

I'm not by any means a religious scholar though, so I might be wrong about parts of the above!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Everyone posted:

Pretty sure the term gained prominence in the Bush years, because they needed Islam to be "other". Abrahamic religions make sense as a category, Judeo-Christian really doesn't.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Abrahammurabic religion

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

genericnick posted:

Pretty sure the term gained prominence in the Bush years, because they needed Islam to be "other". Abrahamic religions make sense as a category, Judeo-Christian really doesn't.

poo poo, arguably Islam and Christianity are closer to each other than Christianity and judaism are, Jesus is literally a formative figure in Muslim texts!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm all about judeo Christian values, like getting made fun of on Twitter, embarrassing myself publicly for no reason, having a stupid voice, etc.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

genericnick posted:

I've always been partial to the islamic articulation (People of the Book) myself

It just sounds cool

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Three-Body Problem (#1) by Cixin Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQO403K/

The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1) by Evan Winter - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VKFP5/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

poo poo, arguably Islam and Christianity are closer to each other than Christianity and judaism are, Jesus is literally a formative figure in Muslim texts!

From my somewhat ignorant perspective Islam seems like an attempt by Mohammad to take the best out of Judaism and Christianity while otherwise boiling the stupid out of them.

Like: Well, clearly no one could possibly follow all these little rules and laws so... how about pray five times a day and don't eat pork. Unless you'd otherwise starve. We're not fanatics, after all.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Can I politely ask that we not get into *substantive* discussions of real religions in the SFF thread? I can't see it going anywhere good, and it's definitely off-topic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kalman posted:

Can I politely ask that we not get into *substantive* discussions of real religions in the SFF thread? I can't see it going anywhere good, and it's definitely off-topic.

Yeah that is a good idea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Let us settle this religion debate once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

withak posted:

Let us settle this religion debate once and for all.

As the good book says, “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"