Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I've heard it called the Me Coup Movement.

Which is pretty bad for like 17 distinct reasons, but is an effective analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It will forever be the confederacy of dunces to me

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

mdemone posted:

It will forever be the confederacy of dunces to me

drat, so this is what flawless perfection looks like.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, so this is what flawless perfection looks like.

The problem is then it's associated with a bad novel

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Mulvaney (former chief of staff for a year) flipped

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/politics/mick-mulvaney-trump-january-6-committee/index.html

cnn posted:

Wrote Mulvaney:

"For the first time, evidence was presented that former President Trump knew some of the protesters were armed before encouraging them to go the Capitol, that right-wing extremist rioters communicated directly with the White House, that key Presidential advisers requested pardons, that the chief White House lawyer was concerned about getting 'charged with every crime imaginable,' and that someone within Trump world may be trying to tamper with committee witnesses."

He then appeared with CNN's Jake Tapper, noting that he had been "defending the president over the course of the last year ... and I never really thought until yesterday that he was capable of inciting the riot."

Furthering the January 6 Committee is not only legitimate, but that they're knocking this poo poo out of the park. I'm starting to see hope that enough people turn on him to put him in jail after all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

He then appeared with CNN's Jake Tapper, noting that he had been "defending the president over the course of the last year ... and I never really thought until yesterday that he was capable of inciting the riot."

lol he is so goddamn full of poo poo.

"I am shocked, shocked! That gambling was going on in this establishment."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oracle posted:

“I need to distance myself from this mess quick or I’m hosed.”

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Oracle posted:

idk mulvaney was a true believer, like he was the guy who held a dozen different positions in the trump admin, if anyone was going to believe the original right wing spin on things that it was just a protest and if there was any violence it was undercover antifa false flaggers and this is just the libs yelling about nothing again, it would be him.

I mean still probably not, more likely he's just a rat who realized the ship is sinking. Though even then Trump losing true believers is surprising and probably noteworthy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cipollone was lead counsel for Trumps defense at the first impeachment and he’s now agreed to cooperate a little (only about the Jan 03 Clark meeting and Jan 06 itself) so maybe the walls are starting to crack?

These are some of the hardest of hardcore Trump stooges trying to get out from in front of it.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Oracle posted:

Because they're all hoping to hear the next line:

"Your winnings sir!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

Cipollone was lead counsel for Trumps defense at the first impeachment and he’s now agreed to cooperate a little (only about the Jan 03 Clark meeting and Jan 06 itself) so maybe the walls are starting to crack?

These are some of the hardest of hardcore Trump stooges trying to get out from in front of it.

Just wait until they let me tie Roger Stone to a Catherine wheel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just wait until they let me tie Roger Stone to a Catherine wheel.

Ooooh I might almost trade Trmup for that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

Ooooh I might almost trade Trmup for that

Swap stone out for Stephen Miller and that may be a deal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hey hey hey.

It’s okay.

Catherine wheels are really cheap.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey hey hey.

It’s okay.

Catherine wheels are really cheap.

So, Catherine Wheels either come up with the dark ages torture device that was just a wheel they beat you nearly to death with then tied you to and hoisted you up for display while you died,

Or they are those fireworks that have the rockets set on the outside so they spin super duper fast.

I believe either, or perhaps some punitive combination of the two, is acceptible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, Catherine Wheels either come up with the dark ages torture device that was just a wheel they beat you nearly to death with then tied you to and hoisted you up for display while you died,

Or they are those fireworks that have the rockets set on the outside so they spin super duper fast.

I believe either, or perhaps some punitive combination of the two, is acceptible.

porque_no_los_dos.gif

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

J.A.B.C. posted:

First one, then the other.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk mulvaney was a true believer, like he was the guy who held a dozen different positions in the trump admin, if anyone was going to believe the original right wing spin on things that it was just a protest and if there was any violence it was undercover antifa false flaggers and this is just the libs yelling about nothing again, it would be him.

I mean still probably not, more likely he's just a rat who realized the ship is sinking. Though even then Trump losing true believers is surprising and probably noteworthy.

There are some true believers who will go down with the ship. Mulvaney was just an opportunist who is saving his own rear end.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Murgos posted:

That's apparently on Friday. Does that mean Deputy Press Secretary is on Tuesday next week now?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There are some true believers who will go down with the ship. Mulvaney was just an opportunist who is saving his own rear end.

Some will, hopefully most even. But the point wrt mulvaney is that he really was much more of a true believer than an opportunist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Another loser that Trump barely knew who was a coffee boy?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Mulvaney (former chief of staff for a year) flipped

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/politics/mick-mulvaney-trump-january-6-committee/index.html

Furthering the January 6 Committee is not only legitimate, but that they're knocking this poo poo out of the park. I'm starting to see hope that enough people turn on him to put him in jail after all.

And more "Fake News!"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mulvaney is being trotted around on a leash recently to redeem his image and publicize his new role with CBS as token Republican, and a logical part of the deal would be that he has to publicly make himself more palatable to non-Fox News viewers. He has been a hypocritical, fast-talking bully for paleoconservative interests his entire career and I don't think his status as a true believer in anything beyond power and influence is warranted. He's an intelligent man who uses generic conservative targets and utterly reversible morals as cover for power-seeking (because it's easier than holding to actual personal principles consistently). I don't think he believes in poo poo and it annoys me that I've been reminded he exists this past week or two. Ew.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Another loser that Trump barely knew who was a coffee boy?

And more "Fake News!"

Now you got me wondering what, specific take they’re gonna have to downplay Cip-boppy’s role.

Cohen redux? More like Sessions? Something off the wall I’ll never predict like calling him an old-timey racial slur?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PATSY BALONEY

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

He has been a hypocritical, fast-talking bully for paleoconservative interests his entire career
So this means "the same as all of them"? Every Republican name I've learned in all of this has been a token liar, just pure loving snake-oil-changes-for-car salesmen. I grant there are career Democrats, but I feel like I can name some D who are "true believers" in the sense that they actually vote for their platform, though maybe they aren't wishy washy because the country is so damned conservative the progressive liberal leftists never have to change their message.

But more to the point, "paleoconservative"... They are either ten million years old, or only eat snake and shark protein?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'd like to put Trump on the Thunderdome wheel, just for the irony of 'bust a deal'.

But then there's the chance he gets lucky.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TulliusCicero posted:

That's apparently on Friday. Does that mean Deputy Press Secretary is on Tuesday next week now?

Sarah Matthews has been confirmed for July 12th, but unless she's got Cassidy Hutchinson-level information I could see the committee squeezing in some Cippollone tape.

One thing I've got to say that I don't think has received enough love is the editing of the multimedia during the hearings. These things would be deadly to sit through if they didn't have the ability to cue up various videos and sounds.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What ever happened with the New York Attorney General investigation of Trump and his organization? Is the new guy on the Trump payroll or something?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zwabu posted:

What ever happened with the New York Attorney General investigation of Trump and his organization? Is the new guy on the Trump payroll or something?

No, it's ongoing; last I heard several of the orgs under investigation were being held in contempt for delaying provision of documents, and are paying daily fines.

See, e.g.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/06/nyregion/trump-contempt-cushman-wakefield.html

edit: A quick googling says members of the family are also under an order to testify to the investigation (presumably behind closed doors and under negotiated conditions) later this month.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/08/trump-and-2-adult-children-set-to-testify-in-new-york-attorney-general-investigation-starting-july-15.html

Here's the NY AG's site; she appears unlikely to be on Trump's payroll.
https://ag.ny.gov/

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 7, 2022

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hey, if there a legal path to a death penalty for Trump?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Uglycat posted:

Hey, if there a legal path to a death penalty for Trump?

No, just Steve Bannon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I *think* I'm caught up on the news from today and this is what I gather as of right now:

July 12th's topic is the para-military groups and the Capitol. Probably going to get to see some footage of those guys meeting on Jan 5th, and hopefully illustrate direct links to the Whitehouse.

Pat Cippolone is returning to the committee Friday for a video-taped, transcribed interview. I haven't come across any indication the scope of the testimony is known. When he agreed to testify before, he was asserting privilege and questions had to be limited to topics mentioned up-thread, but we don't know if that is still the case. Even if it is, he can certainly confirm many things Hutchinson said about him, and yeah I think he will have to address that meeting with Rosen, Donahue, Trump, etc. His testimony isn't currently expected on Tuesday, which is the only known scheduled hearing. More on that in a sec.

Sarah Matthews was Deputy Press Secretary. She supposedly quit just after the riot. Allegedly she was wanting a Trump message to stop the violence, and when Trump instead tweeted about Pence's lack of courage and setting the mob on him, that was the last straw. She spent that day with Trump's Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who was in contact with Sean Hannity, so expect some FOX reactions after she testifies live. She has publicly supported Cassidy Hutchinson since that hearing happened.

Tonight John Wood, a top investigator for the committee who questioned witnesses on DOJ day (iirc), said he hopes Cippolone's recorded testimony and Sarah Matthews' live testimony will be given in a hearing "next week."

That's too much for Tuesday, I suspect.

So I bet next Thursday is the day for Matthews and also Cippolone, if they can be ready by then. I don't think they want to do Friday hearings because Congress will want to get on their flights home for the weekend; but who knows? After the testimony Hutchinson gave I doubt Matthews will be a whole day by herself. If Cipplone's testimony isn't as restricted as we suspect, that will all be on video to be dropped in wherever they want it, like the snippets of Flynn pleading the 5th. He won't be in person at all.

I may have missed something and could be wrong.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to next week. Things are heating up. I wasn't expecting the committee to be teasing stuff this week due to the holiday. It looks like they know they need to keep the interest up and the tidbits coming.

Everything J6-related since the Hutchinson hearing has been quite encouraging.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 7, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like how the GOP talking point is that the committee is not legit because Pelosi wouldn't seat certain Republicans on it but somehow the current supreme court is totally fine and not to be questioned.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Edward Mass posted:

Sarah Matthews has been confirmed for July 12th, but unless she's got Cassidy Hutchinson-level information I could see the committee squeezing in some Cippollone tape.

One thing I've got to say that I don't think has received enough love is the editing of the multimedia during the hearings. These things would be deadly to sit through if they didn't have the ability to cue up various videos and sounds.

I admire the staffer(s) who have to sit through all that tape and kill brain cells just to put those clips together.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I like how the GOP talking point is that the committee is not legit because Pelosi wouldn't seat certain Republicans on it but somehow the current supreme court is totally fine and not to be questioned.

Interestingly enough, when I do see GOPers bitch about that on non-right wing shows, the hosts do point out that the GOP had the opportunity to put who they wanted to on it, and refused. So at least it's not just "GOP says what they want uncontested" at this point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Randalor posted:

So at least it's not just "GOP says what they want uncontested" at this point.

it's just "GOP says what they want uncontested on the most popular news channel in the country, and hundreds (thousands?) of talk radio affiliates" instead

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's just "GOP says what they want uncontested on the most popular news channel in the country, and hundreds (thousands?) of talk radio affiliates" instead

Well, yeah, but I'll take "the GOP recieves a small amount of pushback" over "The GOP recieves, at most, a "We'll agree to disagree" pushback".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Randalor posted:

Interestingly enough, when I do see GOPers bitch about that on non-right wing shows, the hosts do point out that the GOP had the opportunity to put who they wanted to on it, and refused. So at least it's not just "GOP says what they want uncontested" at this point.

IIRC, I think there were a couple of people the GOP wanted (election fraud loons and whatnot) that Pelosi said "gently caress no we're not making GBS threads up these hearings with that nonsense" so republicans just pouted and said "fine. then we quit", probably figuring that it was better optics to just claim bias and call it yet another partisan a witch hunt than to put any semi "reasonable" republicans up there; or at least any republicans that don't buy the big lie.

It's also like Trump calling for equal time and crying about it when, if he wanted to, he could walk on in at any time, get sworn in and talk however long he wanted to for the whole country to see and hear but it's easier to try and call it a sham led by partisan democrats. I'm sure the committee would gladly set aside as much time as Guilliani/Trump/Whoever wanted and welcome that opportunity with open arms but none of these criminals will answer anything that's not asked by Sean Hannity, and certainly not anything that's under oath.

You know, like Hillary Clinton did for like 10 loving hours.

And all this coming from the party that refused to even hold hearings for SCOTUS nominees.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You are right, BB.

McCarthy wanted Jim Jordan and Jim Banks, two guys with involvement in J6 who wanted to sit ON the committee but refuse to sit FOR the committee.

It still blows my mind that these criminals are all so loving stupid. McCarthy tried to put bomb-throwing conspirators on the committee. When Pelosi told him no loving way he thought it was best to say, "well no republicans for you, then!" Cheney and Kensinger stepped up and McCarthy pouted.
Only now, with the committee operating totally smoothly and without saboteurs onboard, does Trump see the folly of this decision. Although the alternative, that McCarthy could find someone to stop this train, seems vanishingly unlikely to me.

This article is to-the-point:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/trump-allies-jordan-and-banks-were-ridiculous-choices-for-jan-6-commission-pelosi-says.html

"GOP Reps. Jim Jordan and Jim Banks “made statements and took actions that just made it ridiculous to put them on such a committee seeking the truth,” Pelosi said at a news conference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

does Trump see the folly of this decision.

Trump is incapable of seeing folly in anything he does.

Otherwise, solid point.