Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theflyingexecutive posted:

Sorry, you’re out of your mind. That scene took 6 to 8 hours, tops. Renting Katz’s in the 80s was almost definitely cheaper than building out a set. There’s ~40 bg (in the 80s, maybe $70-125/day/bg) in there and they never look out the windows enough to need to control traffic or pedestrians. It’s a 50-50 master, cross-coverage singles, three true singles, and a couple bg reaction inserts. That’s only six setups for two script pages. Flipping a semi truck is at least a full day of work, plus the cash for the truck itself and the rig and you get maybe 10 seconds of footage if you’re lucky.

Can you elaborate on all these film terms , thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

im saint germain posted:

SLOVENLY MAN SHOUTING FROM OTHER SIDE OF WINDOW: Eyyy, I'm reactin' for an insert over here!

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Buzz lightyear report ; my kid went to see it , his first time ever in theaters. He was real upset the villain was just a future buzz time traveling, and we agreed clones and parallel universes were the real explanation

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

Buzz lightyear report ; my kid went to see it , his first time ever in theaters. He was real upset the villain was just a future buzz time traveling, and we agreed clones and parallel universes were the real explanation

Spoilers!!!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

My wife loves marvel and marvel poo poo and she's watching Ms. Marvel and it's not really bad or anything, it's just really boring. There was a moment where some people in a mosque say to the fbi, "are you here to find the superhero because she's dangerous, or because you saw her hanging out at a mosque?" Which is definitely weird because Marvel themselves has always been very pro military nuking brown people.

I'm learning a lot about "representation wins" where we celebrate when mostly silly media has multiple queer and brown people (like ms marvel), and it seems like such a loving bummer to need to watch superhero poo poo to see someone with your skin color and background doing anything interesting at all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

NeatHeteroDude posted:

it's not really bad or anything, it's just really boring.

that sounds really bad to me. if I described something as really boring that would mean I thought it was bad

C0N5T1P4T3D
Jun 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
between marvel increasingly stumbling, star wars relegated to streaming, and the snyderverse dead and buried... things are looking up for movies

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

indigi posted:

that sounds really bad to me. if I described something as really boring that would mean I thought it was bad

It's more like background stuff, and I can watch it with her. We probably just have different standards for what bad media is

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

NeatHeteroDude posted:

My wife loves marvel and marvel poo poo and she's watching Ms. Marvel and it's not really bad or anything, it's just really boring. There was a moment where some people in a mosque say to the fbi, "are you here to find the superhero because she's dangerous, or because you saw her hanging out at a mosque?" Which is definitely weird because Marvel themselves has always been very pro military nuking brown people.

I'm learning a lot about "representation wins" where we celebrate when mostly silly media has multiple queer and brown people (like ms marvel), and it seems like such a loving bummer to need to watch superhero poo poo to see someone with your skin color and background doing anything interesting at all

Marvel TV show?
Interesting?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's easier for them to give lip service to progressive causes/ideas (eg, that line from Hamilton, "Immigrants, we get the job done" that people gushed over despite the numerous other problems with the play) than to actually weave those plots and ideas into their stories.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

My wife loves marvel and marvel poo poo and she's watching Ms. Marvel and it's not really bad or anything, it's just really boring.

when you made this comment were you taking into account the fact that the fourth episode involves her traveling back in time to the 1947 partition of india because i find it funny as hell that something which sounds so batshit on paper didnt register to any actual viewers as worth more than a halfhearted shrug

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

when you made this comment were you taking into account the fact that the fourth episode involves her traveling back in time to the 1947 partition of india because i find it funny as hell that something which sounds so batshit on paper didnt register to any actual viewers as worth more than a halfhearted shrug

hahahahahahahaha what happens

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh yeah, uh, that was a little interesting. I think she fights or runs from the British? She also saves her own grandmother and was summoned by her magical great grandmother for some reason

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I forget if Spiderman Far from Home is Phase 2 of MCU. If not, I have seen zero phase 2 movies or shows. No interest at all. Sounds like Thor 4 is just a boring rehash which drives this point home.

I'll watch this stuff if I see it on TNT at a hotel or whatever, otherwise meh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

bg = background actor, the official name for an extra
setup = a shot or set of shots, one lighting position and one or more cameras and usually one or more lens changes
master = a shot, usually filmed first in that scene that is usually wide angle and defines where most principal actors and bg and their blocking (stage movements) are in the scene
50-50 = a shot of two actors or groups of actors filmed perpendicularly from their line of sight
single = a shot where one principal actor is the main focus of the frame
cross-coverage = a two or three camera setup where principals are filmed diagonally so you can get two shots of coverage (singles) at the same time
insert = a shot, usually short, that doesn’t involve any principal’s face or majority of their body
script page = one page of the script, roughly one minute of dialog

I’m happy to dive into any on set questions if that would be interesting for people. I worked a lot in the assistant director department, which is in charge of scheduling, coordinating all the different departments, wrangling principal and background actors, stopping lookie-loos, that sort of stuff

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jul 7, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Hey. Let me walk you through the Donnelly nut spacing and crack system rim-riding rip configuration. Using a field of half-C sprats, and brass-fitted nickel slits, our bracketed caps, and splay-flexed brace columns vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one half meter from the damper crown to the spurve plinths. How? Well, we bolster twelve husk nuts to each girldle-jerry, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers. Then, pin-flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's kinda of crazy that we're 30 movies in and they've only just now introduced the titular Marvel.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ooooo I got a good obscure set term. When a shot’s takes are completed, (1-40 takes, depending on the director) the first assistant director and or director of photography (DP) will call out “checking the gate”. For film cameras, the gate is the metal frame that holds the spinning reel of film stock behind the lens. Sometimes, the film will catch and create a little spool of acetate that blocks light from getting onto the film, so an assistant camera will pull out a flashlight and check to make sure they don’t have to reshoot that shot. 95% of filming is digital now, though, but the phrase persists as shorthand for “playback the footage from the memory card to make sure the video file is actually there”.

“Roll sound” or “roll” and “camera speeds” or “speed” also hearken back to when the mechanical motors of the sound recorder and film cameras had to be moving at a proper speed to record and are still terms used today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the DP isn't the guy who fucks the director's wife with him?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how does Ms Marvel get her powers in the show

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

indigi posted:

how does Ms Marvel get her powers in the show

Magical bracelet that activates due to her latent jinn genes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait her ancestors hosed genies somehow that doesnt sound halal

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i mean there are a ton of movies with other skin colors or whatever. like idk recently green knight had dev patel playing sir gawain and that movie kicked rear end. The problem is the big budget mega-hollywoo movie/tv slop is so designed-by-algo and focus-tested to death by executives that they don't dare do anything that has the consistency and texture beyond that of rolled-oat oatmeal that's glued itself together from being overboiled, because they don't want to kill their cashcows.

however, the algo (or really the system or need to extract more profit, and profit consistently) has determined it is to capital advantage to do some tokenism once and awhile to get the libs back on board (either in a 5s clip that you can cut out when you distribute it overseas or the most worthless toothless version). And you need to get essentially the liberals on board. There's no tokenism for the right because there's no way to please the insane multiplying sects; however, you can do tokenism for liberals and have them do your advertising for you and ~defend~ or whatver stupid poo poo that can even mean. It's basically more profit, free advertising, "no such thing as bad press, all press is good", etc while keeping the bland oatmeal consistency that is so unthreatening.

I'm gunna quote something sort of out of context and tangential to this topic. but the middle paragraph drives that home about why token is so profitable is that the thinnest veneer of "progressive" is a way for the liberal-class to feel good about capital once again, and cheer it on as the savior of progress, and then go bat for it at every turn because of the unprecedent constant attack that capital is undergoing by the evil right at every moment.

quote:

I mean to me I've probably said this on the show before but to me there's almost nothing more depressing than seeing footage of Woodstock and being told that was some sort of high point in American: you know, the breaking of the wave for the American counterculture as Hunter Thompson would put it; and not the the absolute apogee of proof that everything supposedly countercultural could be co-opted into the simple spending habits of certain focus groups and you know, test marketed taste Publix. I mean, just loving revolting. I can't really stand to think about that very long without getting sick.

That after the horrors of the you know, mid and late 60s in particular, there was this era of liberal retrenchment we fought back. Hey, we ended that loving war. Okay?? After only what 13 years and untold millions dead? We brought down Nixon! well, who's we exactly? You know, we fuckin expose the CIA, we fuckin expose the assassination!. Well, hold on... and those those, what would you call 5-6-7 years have been absolutely critical in the liberal imagination, as delineations of what is still possible -- in first, the late 20th century, and then the early 21st century, because and this is a crucial, crucial point:

When you take phenomena like the endless delusion of bullshit, to which everyone is subjected in this moment, it's going to be very hard to satisfy anyone on the actual left and anyone among the various, you know, insane, religiously multiplying sects of the extreme right. Because there is is no sort of basis upon which to satisfy them. The actual left begins from the proposition that our entire way of, of conducting all sorts of social activity is fundamentally evil, and is correctly so, and the extreme right begins from such an idiosyncratic rainbow of personal grievances, that you're never going to catch them all in the same hall. You know, you need different size nets.

But who can you get? You get liberals. You can always bring the liberals back because in an age of, i would say beyond merely hyper-normalization but something i might call hyper-fictionalization in which it is sort of realized even by the the dimmest bulb that all possible information out there is a form of fiction in one degree or another, and the question is simply of which sort of fiction has enough monetary backing and enough, ultimately when it comes down to it, and military force to abridge the the social awareness of its fictionality...
…So within this hyper fictionalized environment, as I’ve mentioned, the actual left and the extreme right these people are lost to you... but you can hold on to liberals. And the reason you can hold on to them in a way you can't hold on to other people is that liberals still sink an enormous amount of faith and credulity into the idea that even if our institutions aren't perfect even if there are oversights and mistakes and even outright instances of corruption, ultimately our institutions are here for the good -- and even if not you know most of the time, even if not even half of the time, but just sometimes those institutions can work on behalf of the public benefit.

Now that's loving absurd, you and i know that's not true at all, but this forms the groundwork of the liberal worldview that we simply need more and more reformed institutions working better and better, and this will eventually lead to you know the rectification of all things wrong within crony capitalism -- as if all capitalism wasn't loving crony capitalism. And i think anyone who has any actual power and is very bright at all understands quite well that in order to keep that power he-or-she has to give the liberals a win -- or at least an apparent win every once in a while. He or she must maintain the liberals faith that ultimately we are an Infinitely Perfectible Shining City on The Hill whose institutions are... sure perhaps undergoing a particular threat at this moment due to the unprecedentedly evil presidency of Donald Trump (who's you know what's i mean top five bad presidents... maybe.. if that) they have to keep those people on board because without that middle tranche of liberals, and when i say liberals here i don't necessarily mean people with you know socially liberal viewpoints, i mean everybody who still believes in the the right functioning of capitalism as an institutional framework under which the wrongs otherwise presented by society can be rectified.

You have to keep those people in the loving barn because when they get loose when they stop believing some of them may turn to the left enough of them perhaps to actually lend some loving credibility the left politics in this country and some of them may turn to the extreme right out of an extremity of personal grievance lacking any of the kind of historical structural economic framework that would make somebody understand this as a class issue instead of an issue of simple you know unfairness to oneself and there's a whole middle section there the section you've been relying on....

basically this

Dammerung posted:

It's easier for them to give lip service to progressive causes/ideas (eg, that line from Hamilton, "Immigrants, we get the job done" that people gushed over despite the numerous other problems with the play) than to actually weave those plots and ideas into their stories.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Jul 7, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

reminder that disney killed the nimona movie which if it was anything like the book was more conceptually queer than all their other pandering crap in recent years put together well see whether it even went that far when the netflix version comes out i guess

ironically the book doesnt actually have any explicitly lgbt characters but see thats what queer is supposed to mean its an aesthetic you can work into the storytelling not bechdel test style bullshit where you keep a running tally of which genders got how many pecks on the cheek

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
re slavery,

It's definitely hypocritical to come after the Bahomey movie for portraying slavers when that's the vast majority of period pieces, but it still feel like there's a needle to thread there? Between 1) explicitly making the story about the slaves, 2) having them there as a background element, 3) not showing them and 4) projecting modern progressive values on the slavers.

OTOH a girlboss equivalent of 300 where the entire movie is tongue-in-cheek about how freaky its protagonists are would be fun to see.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The way that trailer is edited is really weird and I have no idea what tone the movie will have

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mastershakeman posted:

Director did the old guard which I haven't seen but have heard good things about. If it has two solid action scenes I'll be pumped, lashanna lynch should be able to deliver there

i enjoyed Old Guard but it also wasn't like anything spectacular or a must watch, i wouldn't even say it was particularly well executed/done and had a ton of flaws from writing to editing to cinematography. it was still a fun way to kill a couple of hours; however, i just also really like charlize theron and she killed in it.

Farm Frenzy posted:

The way that trailer is edited is really weird and I have no idea what tone the movie will have
ya idk, trailers are often messy and seems like it wants both gurlboss and not to be just gurlboss. who knows.

it's probably a dumb goon pendantry but it feels like a missed opportunity to have everyone be speaking colonized-english instead of subtitles if you're going for gently caress da whitey colonizing slavers

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

YaketySass posted:

It's definitely hypocritical to come after the Bahomey movie for portraying slavers when that's the vast majority of period pieces
Is that really the case?? That doesn't sound right.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Twigand Berries posted:

Hey. Let me walk you through the Donnelly nut spacing and crack system rim-riding rip configuration. Using a field of half-C sprats, and brass-fitted nickel slits, our bracketed caps, and splay-flexed brace columns vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one half meter from the damper crown to the spurve plinths. How? Well, we bolster twelve husk nuts to each girldle-jerry, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers. Then, pin-flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist.

that might be the best work kurtwood smith's ever done, up to and including "dumbass" and "bitches leave"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Hahaha what

Time to watch and see if its worse than the Doctor Who episode on the 1947 partition I guess

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

monkeypox truther posted:

explain to me how this is different from The Northman

The Northman goes out of its way to show a strange world where the characters' motivations and actions don't necessarily make sense to us, while this movie doesn't look like it's going to do that at all. But the costuming and sets look pretty cool, I guess it can be Girl Northman.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grevling posted:

The Northman goes out of its way to show a strange world where the characters' motivations and actions don't necessarily make sense to us, while this movie doesn't look like it's going to do that at all. But the costuming and sets look pretty cool, I guess it can be Girl Northman.

Southwestwomen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

wait her ancestors hosed genies somehow that doesnt sound halal

Islamic folklore makes it clear that djinn are sentient beings of the same moral, religious and personal diversity as humans; there are Muslim, Jewish and Christian djinn, and they will be judged the same way that humans are. Muslim Djinn do attend the Hajj but tend to do so invisibly as not to cause a ruckus.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

Patriot is so good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

YaketySass posted:

re slavery,

It's definitely hypocritical to come after the Bahomey movie for portraying slavers when that's the vast majority of period pieces, but it still feel like there's a needle to thread there? Between 1) explicitly making the story about the slaves, 2) having them there as a background element, 3) not showing them and 4) projecting modern progressive values on the slavers.

OTOH a girlboss equivalent of 300 where the entire movie is tongue-in-cheek about how freaky its protagonists are would be fun to see.

Excuse me sir, left wing content creators like Big Joel have told me that 300 promotes fascism.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

when/why did trailers start having mini 4 second trailers before the actual trailer starts

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

indigi posted:

when/why did trailers start having mini 4 second trailers before the actual trailer starts

To desperately try to make tiktok addled teens pay attention by giving them a quick clip to try and find during the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

loquacius posted:

I guess there's been a lot of terfery happening among The Celebs lately (Bette Midler and Macy Gray attempting to regain some kind of relevance???) because that is the wild second-waver's instinctive reaction to abortion rights being taken away, and all of it sucks but this Twitter thread is funny at least

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1544039864177401863

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1544043066620780548

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1544043504959201286

oh my god i can hear him

e: i get why some people don't like this Bit but orson was an inveterate all-time blowhard, which is why anyone loves him, and aping his schtick by means of cartoonish self-serving puppetry is a phenomenal use of his image

POWELL CURES KIDS has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Jul 7, 2022