Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Always have more than 1 way to drive a screw / drill holes.

The impact is nice it gets screws in and I feel strips less than screwymcscrewface

Also, when you have multiple tools you load your driver in one and your drill bit in another for pilot holes.

My wife: Why do you have 2 drills?

Me hanging up blinds: Drills hole with one tool, drives with another: Because switching this out for each blind would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tater_salad posted:

Always have more than 1 way to drive a screw / drill holes.

The impact is nice it gets screws in and I feel strips less than screwymcscrewface

Also, when you have multiple tools you load your driver in one and your drill bit in another for pilot holes.

My wife: Why do you have 2 drills?

Me hanging up blinds: Drills hole with one tool, drives with another: Because switching this out for each blind would suck.

Get some smaller batteries too. I would have liked to have a 1.5ah battery instead of the 3 and 4 ah batteries when I was installing the blinds.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I felt like superman when I was driving some 6" construction screws in with my impact driver.

One of the things that's kind of surprised me with it is how good it is at getting some old screws out. I was taking apart an ancient aluminum screen door so I could fit it in my car recently, with lots of little machine screws that were probably put in at the factory. My regular drill just did nothing with them but cam out, but the impact banged 'em right out. I was initially an impact-skeptic when I bought my house and got into the Ryobi system, but I've found it incredibly useful. I got a basic impact and basic drill in a starter kit, and then later picked up the P214, and I've still hit projects where I was swapping bits around (mostly around drilling+countersinking+driving a screw that I don't want to overtighten).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

one of the things that surprised me with it is how good it is at making screws hot enough to give me a phillips head thumbprint

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another question - I got a 40v Ryobi Brush cutter (along with Weed wacker) and it works wonders cutting down our bullshit around the house - crab grass and weeds that grew 5 feet high. Getting landscaping done in September so we have to keep this down until then (new house from last year). I was wondering - how bad would it be to use the 40V Ryobi cross-cut mower on things? I doubt it would work on the tall poo poo so I'll have to get that down but for now is it okay to run it over the mud and just keep the height kinda up there?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Impact driver is also nice to have using spade bits for bigger holes. Blasts through with no worries of binding.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got these deposits that have built up in the shower on tiles, particularly in the corners. I can't get them off with acidic cleaners, that usually works but not on these. I tried degreasers. like oven cleaner and denatured alcohol but no luck with those either, even tried in combination with steam cleaning and scrubbing, but this feels as hard as rock.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Vinegar or another more serious descaler?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From vinegar to 80% phosphoric acid

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

- my life and trials in home ownership

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fellatio del Toro posted:

one of the things that surprised me with it is how good it is at making screws hot enough to give me a phillips head thumbprint

When you need it, you need it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A July miracle! Our Bosch dishwasher came in after all, and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.homedepot.com/c/demolition_equipment_rental

Home Depot will rent you an 11 pound demo hammer for only $60 a day.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A July miracle! Our Bosch dishwasher came in after all, and it will be delivered tomorrow.

You gonna name it Odysseus?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I got these deposits that have built up in the shower on tiles, particularly in the corners. I can't get them off with acidic cleaners, that usually works but not on these. I tried degreasers. like oven cleaner and denatured alcohol but no luck with those either, even tried in combination with steam cleaning and scrubbing, but this feels as hard as rock.

You might be able to get it up with just a hammer and a chisel.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PainterofCrap posted:

You gonna name it Odysseus?
Brilliant idea. If I were the sort of person who named laptops and cars, I probably would. The local handyman who has electrical and plumbing licenses is leaving on vacation tomorrow, and so our installation is scheduled for the 21st. :sigh:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate drywall

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drywall? Or mudding drywall?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I like dry walls. The alternative is much worse.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quick questions for, you, thread!

This is the wiring mess that was behind the defunct doorbell in my house! Yes, they straight up painted over those wires... that were behind the actual noisemaking fixture. I'm assuming (probably incorrectly :psyduck:) that because it was a doorbell that the wiring is low voltage, is that correct?

And then my next question: how would more experienced folks patch this up? My first thought was to just cut a 1" approximate drywall circle, jam the wires deeper into the bowels of my walls, then use hot mud to patch it up. The hole is maybe 6" from my ceiling so I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time/effort to make it perfect, but my main question was with the other dumbass POprevious fixture holes around it, would it be better to just cut a larger piece of the drywall out, then patch it that way?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

Drywall? Or mudding drywall?

Mudding. I'm doing a whole room in my basement and it is slow going. So many joints. Ceilings. A million corners. Weird doorways and windowsills. At least I should finish with the setting mud today and be able to move on to the premix stuff.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Johnny Truant posted:

This is the wiring mess that was behind the defunct doorbell in my house! Yes, they straight up painted over those wires... that were behind the actual noisemaking fixture. I'm assuming (probably incorrectly :psyduck:) that because it was a doorbell that the wiring is low voltage, is that correct?

And then my next question: how would more experienced folks patch this up? My first thought was to just cut a 1" approximate drywall circle, jam the wires deeper into the bowels of my walls, then use hot mud to patch it up. The hole is maybe 6" from my ceiling so I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time/effort to make it perfect, but my main question was with the other dumbass POprevious fixture holes around it, would it be better to just cut a larger piece of the drywall out, then patch it that way?

Yeah. It'd be best to cut a rectangular patch to the nearest stud. On the side without a stud you can stick a small board behind the drywall and screw through the existing drywall into the board. That will give you something to screw your patch into on both sides. Then you install the patch and finish it.

It won't take that much more time and effort than just cramming something in there and hot mudding over it. But you could do that too.

That's assuming you verify the wires are not in use.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Johnny Truant posted:

From the pic they look bigger than your standard 18/20 gauge wire for a doorbell but its hard to tell. Use a noncontact voltage tester to see if they are still live. Also imho cut a small drywall square, and then cut the wall hole to match the patch piece you just made. Get a small piece of scrap wood, fit into the hole then screw it into the wall above and below the hole. Screw patch into wood. Mud, sand, paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLGmTzEGSIY

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 7, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone ever sourced the phenolic resin countertops commonly used in lab settings? I was interested in them for a remodel but its hard to find info on pricing.

Most commonly seen like this for reference:

but this was gonna be for two kitchens. If its not too expensive seems like a good durable alternative, especially now that solid color counters are more in vogue. I think it looks pretty sharp and it feels like stone or ceramic IIRC

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Recommended non contact voltage tester? Is this something where any cheap on on Amazon will do or is it worth spending some more money on since it’s safety related?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sirotan posted:

From the pic they look bigger than your standard 18/20 gauge wire for a doorbell but its hard to tell.

I was thinking the same thing. Low voltage doorbells, in my experience, use the absolute shittiest tiny-gauge multi-strand wire possible, even cheaper and nastier than the poo poo that gets used for sprinklers or thermostats.

Unless my scale is way off here those wires look like at least 14ga to me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Harriet Carker posted:

Recommended non contact voltage tester? Is this something where any cheap on on Amazon will do or is it worth spending some more money on since it’s safety related?

Yeah I don't think I'd recommend the cheapest one you can get for something like this. If you wanna go Amazon they carry a bunch of models by Klein, that is what I'd get (and have now).

If you don't already have an outlet tester I would get this set, because that is also super useful to have: https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-NCVT5KIT-Electrical-Non-Contact/dp/B07L5L7TMD/

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bright side if those are electrical wires then the fix is to install a blank plate on the junction box and no drywall needed on the big hole.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

quote:

Lotta good advice from multiple people.

Excellent, thanks for all the advice goons! I've already got a multimeter and I was absolutely going to check the wires before I hosed with them. Maybe I'll become the future PO and just put a plate over it regardless :balldo:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

has anyone ever sourced the phenolic resin countertops commonly used in lab settings? I was interested in them for a remodel but its hard to find info on pricing.

but this was gonna be for two kitchens. If its not too expensive seems like a good durable alternative, especially now that solid color counters are more in vogue. I think it looks pretty sharp and it feels like stone or ceramic IIRC

I can't speak to the resin, but you can definitely get the same look from the quartz lines such as Cambria, Dal, Ceasarstone, or Silestone (and the plenty of other brands out there)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lots of the websites I'm seeing have a 'call for quote' thing and they should be able to give you a ballpark sq/ft price I'd imagine. It does say they are only heat resistant to 350F which is maybe a problem in a kitchen. If you just like the look, honed black granite would be very similar and its bulletproof. Black soapstone is probably closer in look but its a pain to maintain.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The wife wanted a new towel rack in the upstairs bathroom, fine.

…gently caress you, PO.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maybe not relevant for you, but it would bother me doing cooking on the same kind of surface I spill e coli on and clean up "later"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

devmd01 posted:

The wife wanted a new towel rack in the upstairs bathroom, fine.

…gently caress you, PO.

lmao

Screws, anchors, and 1/2 a tube of liquid nails? Musta been some heavy towels

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We had been holding off replacing our kitchen appliances, hoping that someday the supply side would get sorted out. Unfortunately all of the existing units (RCA brand) are 1976 vintage and the first one (refrigerator) failed completely overnight Sunday. Almost certain that the compressor motor burned itself out.

Anyway, had to make selections for replacement based on what was in stock or could be obtained in a reasonable time frame. Ended up going with Kitchen-aid for the Fridge and dishwasher and GE for the stove and microwave.

Just hoping we don't end up regretting the decisions.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

If your budget permits, I'd look into soapstone, which is what lab bench surfaces used to be made from. Soapstone is chemically inert, highly heat resistant, and dense to the point of being nonporous and not requiring sealant, which is why it was an ideal material for science labs and electrical insulation and poo poo back in the day. If you want it to be shiny and super black, rub with mineral oil every so often. Not sure what about maintaining it is a bitch other than periodic oiling (which doesn't seem any more of a pain that normal wiping/cleaning).... That it's soft and prone to scratches? You can buff those out (no sealant layer preventing you from doing that) and oiling will reduce appearance of scratches.

If I had enough natural light in my kitchen to allow for dark countertops, I would 100% go with soapstone (it's even period correct for my house!).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My company has a lot of science/research lab space and I will say that they get dirty very quickly. Without some sort of texture/grain etc you will notice water stains/salt stains, etc on them much more often. Our labs have a lot of white stains on them, not exactly sure why but we're not using any crazy chemicals or anything. They also only use highly concentrated alcohol to clean them but they never seem to get clean. I love the look of dark counter tops and I really like alternative materials but I finally understand why people like light colored countertops with multiple colors and textures, and why hotel carpets are always crazy multi colored patterns because it hides imperfections and stains. If you're like me and always want show room cleanliness, black surfaces are about the most difficult to keep looking that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

If your budget permits, I'd look into soapstone

I actually thought that picture of the countertop and sink was soap stone at first because the carved draining board detail is very much a thing that is/was done in soapstone.

I have it for one countertop and like it, but without sealing it absolutely shows all kinds of water marks, etc. I used a cheapie sealer for it last year which didn't last long, then I scrubbed the crap out of it and tried some mineral oil, which also doesn't last long.

In the end, it's a natural surface so making it look consistent is just gonna require more cleaning/drying, and I'm okay with that. Maybe more/more consistent oiling would do it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I guess I've come to view kitchen countertops as work surfaces that are inherently imperfect and subject to regular wear and tear from cooking and other kitchen activities. I know it kind of goes against the grain of the current ideal of a perpetually pristine kitchen countertop that looks like it's never handled anything beyond having takeout containers and wine glasses placed upon it, but I just don't want to have to worry about keeping a surface perfect while regularly doing things that could very easily mar it or otherwise render it less than perfect.

I actually like the look of imperfections and wear from everyday use :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

I guess I've come to view kitchen countertops as work surfaces that are inherently imperfect and subject to regular wear and tear from cooking and other kitchen activities. I know it kind of goes against the grain of the current ideal of a perpetually pristine kitchen countertop that looks like it's never handled anything beyond having takeout containers and wine glasses placed upon it, but I just don't want to have to worry about keeping a surface perfect while regularly doing things that could very easily mar it or otherwise render it less than perfect.

I actually like the look of imperfections and wear from everyday use :shrug:

I think a lot of natural materials look better as they wear in, where artificial ones just look like poo poo.