Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slowing the cat down as it exits the box helps a lot.. it's the jumping and sprinting that tracks litter everywhere. We bought a mat for ours that claimed to be the best at catching the litter, which didn't work at all. But it turns out our cats dislike walking on it enough that they carefully step around the edges of it and this was enough to tame the issue of spreading litter everywhere. A few pieces still get out but it's much less of an issue.

Not the intended function but I'll take the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly shoots out of the litter robot like a cannonball and completely misses the large mat.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

I looove tuxedo cats, but note maybe be careful about putting out personal info.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

America Inc. posted:

I looove tuxedo cats, but note maybe be careful about putting out personal info.

My partner didn't object when I said I was posting the video on these forums

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Milly shoots out of the litter robot like a cannonball and completely misses the large mat.

Same for our Molly, we don't have a litter robot so we got a bucket-like cat toilet that has a sieve like cover that she has to walk over to get in and out. This has reduced the amount of litter that flies out with her, but sadly it's still a lot, maybe because she's a long hair cat.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Tekopo posted:

That's good to hear! I've been really enjoying having a cat, and she's been a little bundle of joy in our life since we got her. The first few days we had her I did get the wrong impression of what cats were like, because she would not leave our side, followed us like a little dog and would purr almost constantly: after a few days she seemed a bit more standoffish. I put this down as her feeling needy of the attention she was getting (her foster seemed to be a good person but she had a lot of cats that she had to take care of) at first, and then slowly getting used to us and her real personality starting to appear (so less needy for attention/more willing to leave us/needing her alone time).

Cats will also purr to self-soothe when stressed and being adopted can of course be stressful, I think it's a good sign she settled down. Katya never hid but was like a lost puppy the first week she as with us. Now she has the regular cat ratio of "the gently caress are you looking at?" to "I'm baby".

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Tekopo posted:

I became a first time cat owner about a month ago after getting a two year old black cat called Affie. We got her from a shelter and she has FIV so can't go outside or really be with other cats as far as I'm aware.
- Does anyone have any experience with FIV positive cats? As far as I could see, they can live fairly normal lives without requiring medication (which was also confirmed by the vet we registered her with).
Our first cat is FIV+ and we give her a dose of viralys daily with her food per our vet's recommendations as a precaution, but she could probably go without it. She's occasionally gotten colds and we err on the side of caution with treatment, but otherwise she's been a normal cat. Our cats are indoors only but they go out on the back porch with us.

We actually got the second cat as a friend for her and the shelter told us she was also FIV+. This turned out to be a false positive unfortunately, but we found that out too late to do anything about it. They share food (we use separate bowls but that only goes so far), water, litter and haven't had any problems. FIV only really spreads via deep bites, so as long as the cats are introduced carefully and they're not actively fighting my understanding is that it's low risk bringing in another cat.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Harriet Carker posted:

Related, how the heck do I stop litter from going all over the house? I think Latte gets litter on her paws/in her fur, then gets the poop zoomies and bolts all over the place, so I find little grains of litter in the craziest places and sweeping up after it is getting old.

*hollow laughter*

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

My GF is about to move in with me and bring her cat with her. The cat is male, 5 years old, indoor, fixed, and gets along pretty well with other cats but can occasionally be a bit bossy with food and litter.

My cat recently died of old age with cancer as the decider and I am thinking of adopting my own cat to make it a 2 cat household. We will have 3 litterboxes over 1000 sq ft so I think they can find their own spaces easily enough if needed.

My question is, are there any do's or don'ts at this stage that might make this transition easier. ie should I:
1) Adopt the cat first, let it acclimate to my place for 2 weeks before bringing in the GF's cat
2) Adopt the cat at around the same time as the move, have them both be off their game as they're introduced
3) Let the GF's cat move in first, acclimate itself and then do the search for a second cat

Also if there's any other decisions that may be factors (kitten/adult, gender, etc) hit me with them. Want to adopt a cat based on personality and vibe but can keep them in mind too.

Whatever the decision we'll go with best practices for introducing them once they''re in the same space.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got a free cat wheel off of Craigslist what's the best way to get these fuckers interested in using it?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My tiny dumb cat is sick :(

She vomited a couple of times yesterday so I'm taking her to a vet in a couple of hours. The vet told me not to feed her before the visit so now the cat looks super hurt since the other cat got breakfast and she didn't. Also the cat still doesn't like to be touched so I have no idea how I'm going to get her into a carrier. I'm madly anxious about this and barely slept last night, so good times all around.

Here's Elizabeth the cat trying to shame me into feeding her by looking as cute as possible. You probably can't tell from the picture but she is really small for an adult cat, just a little above 5 pounds.

e: trapping her was horrible, how is this cat ever going to trust me again :gonk:

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 11, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Are the Litter Robot people still offering discounts with referral codes?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

are there any decent non-covered automatic cat boxes? one of mine won't use a hooded box, and i now have a $700 litter robot in the room they don't care for to show for it.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Obfuscation posted:

My tiny dumb cat is sick :(

She vomited a couple of times yesterday so I'm taking her to a vet in a couple of hours. The vet told me not to feed her before the visit so now the cat looks super hurt since the other cat got breakfast and she didn't. Also the cat still doesn't like to be touched so I have no idea how I'm going to get her into a carrier. I'm madly anxious about this and barely slept last night, so good times all around.

Here's Elizabeth the cat trying to shame me into feeding her by looking as cute as possible. You probably can't tell from the picture but she is really small for an adult cat, just a little above 5 pounds.

e: trapping her was horrible, how is this cat ever going to trust me again :gonk:

Hopefully your tiny dumb cat is going to be ok!

I also have a tiny dumb cat, she didn't know how to properly jump onto anything until about 8 months old, she would climb instead. She's slightly under 5 pounds at last checkup

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I used to grow pepper plants, but when I got cats I stopped because they kept trying to eat the leaves, which are toxic to cats.

So, I was considering buying a Goji berry plant, and according to a quick Google, Goji berries themselves are not toxic to cats.

Does anyone know if that extends to their leaves as well?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

dervinosdoom posted:

Hopefully your tiny dumb cat is going to be ok!

Thanks, she seems much better already. They gave her subcutaneous fluids, anti-nausea medication and some kind of appetite stimulant at the vet, and she has been eating every portion that I give her without puking so far. I'm just honestly worried that she will hate me for a long time because she was absolutely terrified when I had to force her into the cat carrier.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Obfuscation posted:

Thanks, she seems much better already. They gave her subcutaneous fluids, anti-nausea medication and some kind of appetite stimulant at the vet, and she has been eating every portion that I give her without puking so far. I'm just honestly worried that she will hate me for a long time because she was absolutely terrified when I had to force her into the cat carrier.

Thankfully mine is dumb enough that i can just put her in. She is a ragdoll, so shes pretty passive.

I don't thin your kitty will hate you, maybe the carrier, but not you.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Obfuscation posted:

I have to trick/fight Mel every single time I need to get her into her carrier. She just does not like being held at all, and seems to have a sixth sense for when I plan to try to approach her with the intent of scooping her up. One time I had to put on oven mits and sweater and drag her out from under the bed as she dug into every surface she could find including me with her claws, because she needed to get in her drat carrier because I was taking her with me to my parents' place for Christmas.

The thing is though she gets over it, and your cat will almost certainly as well. Particularly when they realize that they still need you to feed them :v: Pictured: Mel being cute and begging me for dinner less than an hour after I arrived at my parents' and let her out of the carrier from said dragged out from under the bed incident:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Yeah, getting Loki into his carrier for vet/moving house is an absolutely harrowing battle every time. I have a long scar down the inside of one of my fingers from him launching out of my hands in a panic.

Importantly, he hates the carrier and everything about traveling but he is still an affectionate, cuddly little baby to my husband and me whenever we're not trying to put him in the carrier(or trim his nails).

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

floofyscorp posted:

Yeah, getting Loki into his carrier for vet/moving house is an absolutely harrowing battle every time. I have a long scar down the inside of one of my fingers from him launching out of my hands in a panic.

Importantly, he hates the carrier and everything about traveling but he is still an affectionate, cuddly little baby to my husband and me whenever we're not trying to put him in the carrier(or trim his nails).

Same with my cat, and she has a remarkable sixth sense for knowing when I am trying to pick her up just to hold her versus when I am trying to pick her up to do something evil like put her in the carrier.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Obfuscation posted:

Nah. Mine forgave me for a 3-hour roundtrip to the vet within minutes.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Something I’ve wondered about, is it possible to habituate cats to a carrier and car transport? Ours melt the gently caress down any time we have to take them somewhere (either the vet or my partner’s parents’ house) even though like others in this thread they are instantly fine as soon as they are let out at the destination. Hypothetically if we were to load them up for a drive around town every couple of weeks, would they eventually become used to it? I would guess they will always hate it and it would just be a bunch of needless trauma for all parties, but I’m curious if anybody has related experiences or stories.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's possible, but I don't know what the trick is. We've always had a large two cat sized crate for vet trips. Previous pair were scared to death of it and it was a massive ordeal getting one (or both) into it.

The current pair? They'll sleep on/in around it and when it's time to go to the doctor it's easy to scoop them inside and zip it up. They had a more trusting/stable kitten environment though and we were able to acclimate them to it from the start so it's never been a threat. It should be possible with an older cat but it's gonna take a lot of time and effort, it's very hard to de-train a cat once it's decided a thing is scary.

As for the car trip, putting a blanket over the crate helps with the yowling. It either makes them feel safer so it's not as scary, or makes the whole thing more confusing so they don't know what to do. Either way it helps.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deviant posted:

are there any decent non-covered automatic cat boxes? one of mine won't use a hooded box, and i now have a $700 litter robot in the room they don't care for to show for it.

There's that one that uses a proprietary gel stuff?

I know in order to get one of ours to start using the litter robot I had to just remove all other options and then she begrudgingly started using it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

A big hard plastic crate meant for small to medium dogs is still a struggle but it’s easier with the wide opening and it won’t keep folding in on itself as you wrestle around.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I appreciate the stories and advice so far.

To add detail, we have both a couple of single-cat hard carriers and also a bigger, soft-sided, two-cat one from Amazon Basics. Both cats are ok exploring or sleeping in any of the carriers if we leave them out. Kali especially likes using them as her base to ambush toys when we are playing. It’s just once they’re in the car and it’s moving that they start complaining. And they seem to wind each other up, traveling with both is somehow more than twice as bad as traveling with just one.

I may try the blanket trick for the vet trip later this month. Depending on how it goes we might also try some short rides around town in the future.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any cat podium recs?

I’ve got this old 25” stump that is perfect for my cat, and it usually sits in front of the window:

But he’s recently taken to bugging me while I’m at my desk, so I bring the podium there in the morning and put it back later. I’m sick of doing that, and (as you can see) he needs another one anyway.

Armarkat has a 29” that looks a tad cheap, but I’ve always known Armarkat to be high quality. Think it’s worth going for anyway?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 12, 2022

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I bought this thing so that chubbs would have a place to sit by me when I'm at my desk. It's a little short (but sturdy, stable, and more than wide enough), but she seems happy with it and it's actually nice not having it at desk level so she's less inclined to jump on my keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09M5ZJ99B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Works for me, thanks!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Reposting from another forum, would be super appreciative if anyone has some thoughts:

quote:

Species: Domestic cat
Sex/Neuter status: Female, spayed
Type: Shorthair
Body weight: 9.3 pounds

History:

When we first adopted her from the SPCA (at age 7 -- details of life with prior owner are not known), this cat did have a few hairless patches. The vet at the SPCA said it was probably behavioral or psychological. We took her home and treated her well and within about 6 weeks the hair was nearly 100% grown back.

In January 2022, we went to stay with in-laws. The patch developed at this time. It is possible that some environmental factor (such as mites/etc.) contributed, or perhaps the fact that there was a yappy and invasive dog also living in the house which the cat did not like.

A bald patch developed on the inside of the cat's right hind leg at this time. We came back home after about one week, thinking that the change in environment would resolve this hair patch as it had the ones when we adopted her. However, at this point it's been 7 months, and the hair loss has not resolved.

We've tried flea and tick collars and medications and switching to a food-allergy eliminating diet, but nothing seems to work, and the area is still nearly bald with just a tiny bit of fuzz.

She does not seem bothered by it. There are no other hairless areas on her body. She doesn't excessively groom any parts of her body, including her leg.

The vet suggested that it may be anxiety or arthritis -- but she lives in the same low-stress environment (no kids, no other animals) that solved her last hairlessness, and her movement is so spry that we would be pretty shocked if she had arthritis.

Here are pictures of the spot:

https://imgur.com/a/9yncAQ0

Is there any high-likelihood scenario for this type of single-spot hair loss? Or any suggested route of investigation? Perhaps we should just try a different vet?

Thank you!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Thankfully my cat seems to have mostly gotten over any traumas from the trip to the vet, she doesn't seem to be afraid of me but she's still avoiding the cat tree where I caught her.

Unrelatedly, I bought one of those Cat Dancer toys that people have posted about. I was wondering what the big deal was when I unpacked it and was just waving it around when both the cats came to see what was happening and when nuts over it. They both chased it until they were visibly exhausted, so yeah A+ would recommend. Since it's so fast and hard to catch, I guess it works like a red dot that they can actually touch.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My kitty stinks. Not sure why - maybe some bathroom troubles. I’ve never given her a bath in a year of owning her but I think I need to. General advice?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pollyanna posted:

Cat bush q's

I'm up to 3 of these little ones i found on chewy for cheap. They're super sturdy.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-20-in-faux-fur-cat-tree/dp/190453

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Boogalo posted:

I'm up to 3 of these little ones i found on chewy for cheap. They're super sturdy.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-20-in-faux-fur-cat-tree/dp/190453

That's what my parents got for their notorious chair stealing kitty, she loves it.

She still steals my dad's chair though

Edit:

Pic of the thief.

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 13, 2022

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dervinosdoom posted:

That's what my parents got for their notorious chair stealing kitty, she loves it.

She still steals my dad's chair though

Edit:

Pic of the thief.

I bought a black one of these for my black cat (so in lieu of pictures just imagine a sea of darkness with yellow eyes) and he started chilling in it while I was in the middle of putting it together. Pro purchase for sure

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Harriet Carker posted:

My kitty stinks. Not sure why - maybe some bathroom troubles. I’ve never given her a bath in a year of owning her but I think I need to. General advice?

Get someone to help if possible. Wear protection for scratches especially on your forearms, or at least clip your cats nails first. I find doing it in a sink is easier. Don't bother washing their head. Get the temperature right (lukewarm/warm) before you start washing the cat.

If you're lucky your cat will give up and just let you do whatever. If you're unlucky they'll scratch the poo poo out of you. Good luck! Give them a towel-dry afterwards and expect them to hide underneath something for a while.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Len posted:

There's that one that uses a proprietary gel stuff?

I know in order to get one of ours to start using the litter robot I had to just remove all other options and then she begrudgingly started using it

yeah i tried that, they poo poo in the hamper.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Iirc LR recommends putting a familiar litterbox next to the LR, keeping the LR turned off and manually scooping, and letting the familiar litterbox get used and kind of unappetizing. This was gross but seemed to work on my picky cat who previously had refused to touch the LR and had never used a covered box. My not picky cat was like “oh sweet another litterbox? Don’t mind if I do”

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hawkperson posted:

Iirc LR recommends putting a familiar litterbox next to the LR, keeping the LR turned off and manually scooping, and letting the familiar litterbox get used and kind of unappetizing. This was gross but seemed to work on my picky cat who previously had refused to touch the LR and had never used a covered box. My not picky cat was like “oh sweet another litterbox? Don’t mind if I do”

Tried that for a month. They wouldn't touch it. The LR now lives in a room that cat doesn't spend much time in. They just won't use covered boxes, high tech or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frankly I wouldn’t want to use a covered box either. Cramped, dark, folds its stink in on itself. No thanks.