Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the antics of bucky never really hooked me because i was waiting for the shoe to drop

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Okay, it's been a couple pages, so I'll just fuckin' say it.

I hate Bucky. gently caress 'em; I'm glad he's gone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

One thing that stood out about this chapter was how much the main character of it paralleled Denji starting out.

Her first real friend is a Devil, makes a deal on the verge of death, kills the architect of her mundane suffering with Devil powers after being killed by said architect's contracted Devil, she even makes a big realization right by her death.

A big difference, though, was that Denji and Pochita were both altruistic in their goals at the end. Denji wanted to save Pochita, Pochita wanted to save Denji, while Mitaka's last wish was that she'd been more selfish, and her savior is clearly just using her to advance its own goals.

Denji also had "normal" as a distant and hopeful dream, while Mitaka just hated everything, which feeds into the whole "Denji is a hero, Mitaka is being set up like a villain" thing.

We'll see how it goes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess humor is subjective but having a lovely cartoon mascot but it’s a decapitated chicken ingratiating itself with the kids it’s supposed to killed by is a pretty funny bit

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
clearly setting up a schoolyard slice of life series starring denji & the four horsemen

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
So now that Chainsaw Man P2 is on Jump+, does that affect the kind of content that can appear in the series? This chapter was really gory and violent, but then so was the original series. I know at least one of the P1 chapters was 18+ (the one with the covered scissoring title page), but I'm guessing a Jump+ series can't show nudity? It felt like P1 pushed the boundaries of what could appear in WSJ at times, so can the series be more uninhibited now that it's fully online?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DeadBonesBrook posted:

So now that Chainsaw Man P2 is on Jump+, does that affect the kind of content that can appear in the series? This chapter was really gory and violent, but then so was the original series. I know at least one of the P1 chapters was 18+ (the one with the covered scissoring title page), but I'm guessing a Jump+ series can't show nudity? It felt like P1 pushed the boundaries of what could appear in WSJ at times, so can the series be more uninhibited now that it's fully online?

It can be way more uninhibited. Fire Punch was in Jump Plus. So was World’s End Harem.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if the guy whose spine became a sword is still alive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he got asploded

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
but he was alive between getting his spine weaponized and the aforementioned asploded thing

if you look his head keeps making some kind of scream/gargle noise

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I loved the "kiss", nice touch

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*War picks up sheep, tears the guts out, transforms them into a baaazooka.*

Brilliant, Fujimoto does it again, genius

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

RIP Mr. Tanaka :(

All jokes aside, fun as heck first chapter! "Hand grenade" made me chuckle.

War angling to bring nukes back is interesting... perhaps in this strange world full of devils and different details, war is largely a thing of the past and something people don't fear so much anymore? So the War Devil wants to bring back nukes to get war back on the table and the looming fear of nuclear war back in people's hearts.

P.S. She is obviously a hybrid and the new point of view protagonist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amante posted:

RIP Mr. Tanaka :(

Dude was fuckin' his student.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Dude was fuckin' his student.

AND using said student to get close to another student so he could gently caress her too

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Amante posted:

P.S. She is obviously a hybrid and the new point of view protagonist.

This being chapter 98, and not Part 2 chapter 1 males me think Denji is still the protagonist, and this was just the villain setup.I'm fine with being wrong though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If she’s a hybrid she shares no characteristics with other hybrids so far. Visually and personality wise. None of the other hybrids took on their devils personalities and goals or had their knowledge that we knew of. She might have a trigger we can’t see of course which would be the biggest indicator. However she doesn’t have a weapon form like all the others and her visual changes are pretty minor, she also doesn’t seem to return to her original form. IMO she might just have a regular contract that gives up total bodily autonomy in exchange for power vs bits of her organs or lifespan

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

If she’s a hybrid she shares no characteristics with other hybrids so far. Visually and personality wise. None of the other hybrids took on their devils personalities and goals or had their knowledge that we knew of. She might have a trigger we can’t see of course which would be the biggest indicator. However she doesn’t have a weapon form like all the others and her visual changes are pretty minor, she also doesn’t seem to return to her original form. IMO she might just have a regular contract that gives up total bodily autonomy in exchange for power vs bits of her organs or lifespan

All the hybrids we've seen were of things (weapons specifically) though. I don't think we've seen a concept based hybrid.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

We've seen her with her initial haircut and without scars in the promo, which suggests she might be able to switch back and forth to a degree. No knowing yet, though. After all, we didn't get anything like the first Chainsaw Man promo image until chapter 96.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scallop Eyes posted:

This being chapter 98, and not Part 2 chapter 1 males me think Denji is still the protagonist, and this was just the villain setup.I'm fine with being wrong though.

I was just thinking about this earlier and it'd be pretty neat, imo, if this like "part" of the series was basically an inversion with this new more villainous character as our protagonist while Chainsaw man fills a role more akin to the gun devil in the first one. A sort of overarching, if rarely seen but highly influential, goal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A Sometimes Food posted:

All the hybrids we've seen were of things (weapons specifically) though. I don't think we've seen a concept based hybrid.

Yeah its possible shes a fiend
And retained some of her human personality like shark/violence.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I thought Pochita ate whatever the concept of a hybrid is. Seeing as the War Devil appears to have more control, is on the same level as Conquest as a 4 horseman, and remembers past devils eaten by Chainsawman, she might know what hybrids are really capable of compared to Denji or the other weapon Devils.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Where were the 4 horsemen mentioned? I know several wikis say Makima is “conquest” but idk how much of that is speculation

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
makima mentions them in chapter 87 and the control devil's name in japanese is the same as conquest in japanese. she also mentions the others in chapter 84 as things she'd like to eliminate from existence with chainsaw man's power

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
conquest is also depicted wielding a bow, which would explain her finger-gun

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lol this chapter owned.

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.
In the absence of nuclear weapons I can imagine people living in a country that has been at peace for decades and which seems to be on the winning side geopolitically wouldn't be that concerned about war. Getting nukes back into rotation would be critical for stoking fear.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
If both the nazis and nuclear weapons got erased from existence, do people even remember WW2?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I get why War would want to bring back nuclear weapons, but I want to see the devil that wants to bring back the star that drives children crazy or the other end of life states beside death.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I feel like War's problem is Makima did away with a bunch of the related fears that helped prop it up in the public consciousness. People know about war as a general concept, but the likelihood of dying in a war (compared to what it used to be) has gone way, way down, so it's not something most people have on their minds. Seriously, even in our world (with all its geopolitical tensions and keyboard doomers), the odds of dying in a war for most people are lower than they've been for most of human history; and we get to remember the last major war, the nukes, the Nazis, everything.

War got a downgrade, and is probably pissed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fun maybe-reference I noticed on reread: the mean girl class president who gets so angry and jealous she turned into a boiling mass of faces and tumors has the Tomie beauty mark.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Ethiser posted:

I get why War would want to bring back nuclear weapons, but I want to see the devil that wants to bring back the star that drives children crazy or the other end of life states beside death.

I like to imagine the other states are some dark souls esque nonsense like, slowly ages into a twisted tree, or your head slowly turning to crystal like those arch mages in Elden Ring.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can’t believe pochita ate the Benjamin Button devil

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Immortality Disease from Hunter x Hunter.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i for one remain a fan of Fujimoto continuing the trend of Devils early on being the manifestations of fears of completely silly and almost totally harmless things like tomatoes, sea cucumbers, and now chickens. at this point i eagerly await the Cotton Ball Devil

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Don’t be a coward fujimoto show us the weiner devil

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

If both the nazis and nuclear weapons got erased from existence, do people even remember WW2?

The WW2 Devil also got eaten.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If it was the Justice Devil who pushed class prez to trip Mitaka, does that mean Bucky’s death was just?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Bucky deserved to die for those absolutely foul puns

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its possible shes a fiend
And retained some of her human personality like shark/violence.

The fact that she cares about giving Prez and Mr. Tanaka an ironic "happy ending" does suggest that some of her human personality is still there. I look forward to seeing her balance those priorities in the future. "How can I finally get a boyfriend AND bring back nuclear weapons?"

she just like me, she just like me fr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ethiser posted:

Maybe the Horseman of Death is like, "Honestly, you did me a favor, bro. Those other fates SUCKED. People fear the nothingness of death plenty. I only went with these nerds cuz me and Pestilence owe em for the Black Death and like, the Industrial Revolution. BOY THAT WAS A LOTTA DEATH."