Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

drat im glad I read chainsaw man even though I thought it looked like some dumb bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

i love chainsaw man

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Don’t be a coward fujimoto show us the weiner devil

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

yum posted:

Bucky deserved to die for those absolutely fowl puns

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow, starting to feel like this thread isn't safe for birds.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

bitmap posted:

drat im glad I read chainsaw man even though I thought it looked like some dumb bullshit

it's ok you were absolutely right

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

I Am Fowl posted:

Wow, starting to feel like this thread isn't safe for birds.

starting today, the chainsaw man thread will be keeping a thread pet - I Am Fowl!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chainsaw man: she clucking killed Bucky

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

"i want to bring back nukes" as war's motivation loving rocks

I never really understood the rules for "deleting devils/fears via eating them". Not sure it was ever particularly laid out either.

I can understand that normal humans can't remember fears/devils eaten by chainsawman, but devils who knew about said fears are able to? Or if you're a sufficiently powerful devil you're able to?

But then, does Chainsawman himself/denji know about the things he's eaten? In part 1 he doesn't have any clue about his powers until after he's awakened in the finale, but I'm pretty sure that he's still got no clue about any of the stuff from before he was Chainsawman.

It's gonna be pretty funny when Mitaka/War demand nukes back and denji has not clue what they're talking about.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rename thread to A Girl and her Chicken

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
If Makita turns out to be a hybrid I want her to transform her look into army greens after throwing a salute.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Big Leg posted:

starting today, the chainsaw man thread will be keeping a thread pet - I Am Fowl!

Oh no, I'm totally ducked here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/ireading62/status/1547147781818953729

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its possible shes a fiend
And retained some of her human personality like shark/violence.

This too but I actually meant we don't know how hybrid forms work for hybrids of concepts rather than objects.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I hope Makita retains her personality so we can have a Spider-Man like situation where she hates Chainsaw Man but likes Denji (kinda like a reverse Makima too)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Crain posted:

I never really understood the rules for "deleting devils/fears via eating them". Not sure it was ever particularly laid out either.

I can understand that normal humans can't remember fears/devils eaten by chainsawman, but devils who knew about said fears are able to? Or if you're a sufficiently powerful devil you're able to?

But then, does Chainsawman himself/denji know about the things he's eaten? In part 1 he doesn't have any clue about his powers until after he's awakened in the finale, but I'm pretty sure that he's still got no clue about any of the stuff from before he was Chainsawman.

It's gonna be pretty funny when Mitaka/War demand nukes back and denji has not clue what they're talking about.

It was all kept entirely unexplained so we don't even know how the world squares a lot of it's history. As for Denji I would guess (wildly and with no foundation0 that he only knows what Pochita lets him know and that lil rascal probably wants to keep their secret.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

goblin week posted:

If it was the Justice Devil who pushed class prez to trip Mitaka, does that mean Bucky’s death was just?
Perhaps! Certainly seemed implied that Tanaka and the class president's deaths were just, and that the Justice Devil engineered the whole situation to that end.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Nuebot posted:

I was just thinking about this earlier and it'd be pretty neat, imo, if this like "part" of the series was basically an inversion with this new more villainous character as our protagonist while Chainsaw man fills a role more akin to the gun devil in the first one. A sort of overarching, if rarely seen but highly influential, goal.

ah yes, Chainsaw Man SEED Destiny

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

pure. beef. wang

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

To be fair, Denji is much better at formal debate than Kira.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lily Catts posted:

Except interesting and good instead of bad and boring.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Mimesweeper posted:

pure. beef. wang

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lily Catts posted:

So we’ll follow a new group of characters for a while until the author gets bored of them and brings in Denji to solo everything?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I feel like War's problem is Makima did away with a bunch of the related fears that helped prop it up in the public consciousness. People know about war as a general concept, but the likelihood of dying in a war (compared to what it used to be) has gone way, way down, so it's not something most people have on their minds. Seriously, even in our world (with all its geopolitical tensions and keyboard doomers), the odds of dying in a war for most people are lower than they've been for most of human history; and we get to remember the last major war, the nukes, the Nazis, everything.

War got a downgrade, and is probably pissed.

Yeah I live in fuckin' South Korean and nobody really gives a poo poo about North Korea here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I feel like War's problem is Makima did away with a bunch of the related fears that helped prop it up in the public consciousness. People know about war as a general concept, but the likelihood of dying in a war (compared to what it used to be) has gone way, way down, so it's not something most people have on their minds. Seriously, even in our world (with all its geopolitical tensions and keyboard doomers), the odds of dying in a war for most people are lower than they've been for most of human history; and we get to remember the last major war, the nukes, the Nazis, everything.

War got a downgrade, and is probably pissed.

Makima's not behind the downgrade.

Pochita is.

That said, War and Conquest seem to have hated each other's guts, and the fact Conquest fell head over heels for Chainsaw probably doesn't help. I figure Nayuta's going to be on the target list right alongside Denji.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Binged the whole manga and thread. Whew, that was intense.

It was interesting to see how well done Denji's disillusionment of sex was in the early parts of the manga; his preconceived notions and what Makima was selling him versus what happens in the real world. I was expecting a scene where when he and Makima finally hook up, the moment they were done she'd leave him alone in the bed while he's still in a post-orgasmic vulnerable state. Either that or he'd comment how unsexy sex is (closest this actually happens is the blood-sucking scene between him and Power).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I liked the part where there were dogs.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Spent the whole day reading Fire Punch because that name came up a couple of times here and goddamn gently caress you guys

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Solar Tornado posted:

Spent the whole day reading Fire Punch because that name came up a couple of times here and goddamn gently caress you guys

Yeah, Fire Punch is wiiiiild.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Solar Tornado posted:

Lmao

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

What's the deal with Fire Punch? I've never read it

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fire Punch is good, but a little weird.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Fire Punch very much feels like a proto-chainsawman. Starts with what seems like a typical Shonen setup (but with some major flags that it's kinda hosed up) but gets very heavily subverted.

I think it's worth reading if you're a fan of chainsaw man, but content warning for incest, cannibalism, torture, and repeated dismemberment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And that's just chapter 1!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fire Punch very much feels like a proto-chainsawman. Starts with what seems like a typical Shonen setup (but with some major flags that it's kinda hosed up) but gets very heavily subverted.

I think it's worth reading if you're a fan of chainsaw man, but content warning for incest, cannibalism, torture, and repeated dismemberment.

I'm rereading it now because it was brought up again but I totally forgot about the character that's totally obsessed with filming the events to make them into a movie.

Along with the two one shots I think Fujimoto just really wants to direct him some films. It's an interesting through line that's starting to appear.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Firepunch has some cool ideas and you can see almost every single one done better in CSM.

I quit Firepunch the first time reading it and remember reading CSM thinking "man this guy exactly nails the tone and ideas the Firepunch guy failed at" lol. Went back and read it afterwards cos its' Fujimoto but still don't know if I'd call it good, it's just such a mixed bag.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I liked Fire Punch but it's definitely better to be able to do the whole thing at once. there's some slow down in the back half that I definitely would have dropped off for if it was week to week. that said CSM feels like he got better at story telling and moves through the plot beats more smoothly

I would still recommend Fire Punch to people as it does have some sick moments. Fujimoto apparently had a thing for people's heads flying off

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I read somewhere that Fujimoto wanted every volume of Fire Punch to feel like a different genre of manga.I don't really know if that's true, but he certainly succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The Fire Punch is definitely interesting, but extremely uneven. The beginning is carried purely by the intriguing and hosed-up premise while being plagued by too much edge and cheap "shock" moments. Then it finds it footing and becomes incredible, full of potential and you can see where the best of CSM came from. Then, when it enters the second half of the manga, it has one of the steepest drops of quality I have seen and the ending is a wet fart.

In short, Fire Punch is a manga of contrasts.