Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Your problem is everything palo alto touches turns to poo poo (I still love their firewalls though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea I didn’t read anything about prisma til way after I told security I was POCing this poo poo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Star Trek VR game? I have that, I'm down for an IT thread VR night.

(:v:)

I played this with clam down. You don’t want it.

E: could’ve been another guy in sfd I won’t name but gently caress …

It starts with an m and ends with an x

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 14, 2022

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh poo poo yeah for real

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

navyjack posted:

Oh poo poo yeah for real

Yes! I didn't have VR before this game came out and now none of my friends want to play.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I can’t play any VR because it makes me extremely ill much like any roller coaster or spinning around once does it for me due to my deteriorating body

I bet it’s easier to get to work than BridgeCrew by Prisma (TM)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes! I didn't have VR before this game came out and now none of my friends want to play.

I have a quest and I never use it but I would be down for vidja games

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I just don't get how what this place is doing is legal outside of a FLSA loophole for local and state govt agencies.

Right about the time I started, they had transitioned all the IT infra people to some weird exempt status with comp time instead of proper OT. 6 months later, they said " well you guys are hourly " and started making everyone punch in and out. Some time later, someone got caught clocking out from the beach and fired after they quietly enabled location tagging on Kronos, then they started auditing timesheets and decreed that punches will only be accepted on physical clocks, but left the mobile enabled. It got to a point where when an after-hours call came in, I would be forced to drive to our building, clock in, grab company van, do the needful, then back to the building to punch out. Our comp time balances rose to the point of overflowing vacation hours(because what good is comp time if you can never take it?). On 1 December of last year we were told that balances over a certain amount would not be rolled over. We had people take the entire month off and still lost banked hours.

And the best part? If you're 7 minutes late/early, kronos automatically docks you. By my scorecard, that means that we have the absolute WORST of both worlds. We don't get OT, we can't use the comp hours we earn from countless hours of after-hours work, we have to punch a goddamned clock like good little worker bees, we get docked if traffic sucks that morning, and project managers and BSA's are paid more than network engineers.

All this was tolerable during covid. We replaced every switch and firewall we have(close to 300 boxes), recabled dozens of sites to cat6, and pretty much refreshed everything while those same BSA's and PM's stayed home. Remote work was ended in May of this year, and even after our consultant, a loud anti-vaxxer, exposed my whole team to covid, my request to return to remote or hybrid status was denied. There is diabetes, COPD, and hypertension on my chart.

I have a first interview next week after applying for a fully remote network engineer gig and getting an email from a director within 10 minutes. Some national-sized radiology outfit(PM me if anyone has any insight).

Throw in all the poo poo my tryhard ex cop micromanaging piece of poo poo has done to me while mourning my mother, and this place is as toxic as toxic gets. loving shame. The pension ain't worth it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 14, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it doesn't have to be legal, it just has to be too hard for you to fight back

best of luck in your interview, hope you GTFO

if you really want to be a shitter without paying $$$ for a lawyer and trust your coworkers try to coordinate quitting antagonistically. be a real shame if the entire it department disappears right before a big project or something

App13
Dec 31, 2011

God I loving love project management and the fact that everyone else hates it so much makes it even better. Continue paying me to move kan ban cards into buckets pls

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dedicate your time left to taking shits in places they will never be found

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

App13 posted:

God I loving love project management and the fact that everyone else hates it so much makes it even better. Continue paying me to move kan ban cards into buckets pls

I don’t hate project management, just most project managers

App13
Dec 31, 2011

i am a moron posted:

I don’t hate project management, just most project managers

Same. That’s why I like doing it myself. At least now I can save time and energy on loathing others, and bundle it in with my already scheduled self-loathing

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

App13 posted:

My problem with project management isn't that I don't want to be the one doing it, it's that I don't think it needs to exist most of the time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Is this sentence written in English?
Can you all understand the words that are in this post?

I feel like I had a loving stroke and am suffering from Aphasia.

I submitted another ticket to Barracuda asking why one of my Vx was appearing as offline in the Cloud portal and their response was,
"Okay I have deleted the server from the cloud portal for you."

App13
Dec 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is this sentence written in English?
Can you all understand the words that are in this post?

I feel like I had a loving stroke and am suffering from Aphasia.

I submitted another ticket to Barracuda asking why one of my Vx was appearing as offline in the Cloud portal and their response was,
"Okay I have deleted the server from the cloud portal for you."

Makes sense to me.

Lift both your arms above your head and say “happy birthday” to check if you’re having a stroke

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, they did solve your problem, I guess.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Trip report: bridgecrew is pretty cool. Gonna check out Checkov as well. I didn’t get it to work with TFC for some loving reason but I integrated it with Azure devops. You can use it to hard/soft fail PRs based on policy. I haven’t gotten into code analysis for IAC ever at any point but this seems way cleaner than loving around with Azure native stuff via Azure Defender for Cloud 365 or whatever the gently caress it’s called now

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

i am a moron posted:

Trip report: bridgecrew is pretty cool. Gonna check out Checkov as well. I didn’t get it to work with TFC for some loving reason but I integrated it with Azure devops. You can use it to hard/soft fail PRs based on policy. I haven’t gotten into code analysis for IAC ever at any point but this seems way cleaner than loving around with Azure native stuff via Azure Defender for Cloud 365 or whatever the gently caress it’s called now

We use checkov v1 and it’s *fine* but there’s a lot of really dumb findings out there you really don’t want to fail a build on. Like it recommends having flow logs turned on all VPCs, which is just insanely expensive and should never be done in a prod environment.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

im assuming checkov uses CIS 1.2/1.3, cause im also getting dumb recommendations like "use a CMK" i aint got time for that poo poo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My boss is just staring at Performance Monitor screaming out the names of processes and percentages randomly.
I assume he is trying to do some sort of diagnostics on the file share cluster but he is in way over his head and it's frankly just kinda fun to watch him scream "TIWORKER" into the void.

I'm gonna go find some popcorn.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I'm being forced to work for a literal sweatshop with this outsourcing. An explicit clause in the onboarding documents about not working a second job and after a 90 day probation you earn a whopping 6! days PTO over the course of a year. 2 days sick PTO as a treat. Just laffo at this clown poo poo. Thank gently caress I'm a special case and get at least a month off and no waiting periods. God drat MSP and family owned and run has got to be the absolute worst combination ever.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

What kind of bumfuck outfits rebadge their people to a local MSP?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Private equity looking to clean out the books and sell the company.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 14, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

There’s a ton of companies that, like, do that as a main line of business. IT Pros of Louisiana, LLC dba The Puter People seems like an odd choice.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I need suggestions from the IT thread. I'm newly in management after being an engineer for a long time, and the bosses are asking that I take some training.
Any IT management training available through global knowledge or whoever that you all recommend? Company is paying for it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

I need suggestions from the IT thread. I'm newly in management after being an engineer for a long time, and the bosses are asking that I take some training.
Any IT management training available through global knowledge or whoever that you all recommend? Company is paying for it.

you are entering the lions den here manager boy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The best management training is taking the lessons from both good and bad managers you’ve had in the past and applying those to your team. Also a book like The Mission, The Men, and Me is a great read and will put you into a good mindset to be a good leader.

Good luck!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I thought we agreed no management level in the thread. Let them have their own. IC for life

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I don’t remember agreeing to that

Also pretty sure all management ‘training’ takes place in a warm location, includes maybe a couple hours of seminars, and lots and lots of line items for alcohol on expense reports. If you’re looking for online training you’ve been an engineer way too drat long

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
There's dozens of us ITT

A goon in this thread reports to me but I'm not gonna blow up their spot

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm newly in management

One of us! One of us! We accept him we accept him we accept him one of us!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

just got a 9.5k market adjustment

and on deck for a team transition that adds another 6-16k in 2 months or less

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

One of us! One of us! We accept him we accept him we accept him one of us!

they're everywhere

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Silly Newbie posted:

I need suggestions from the IT thread. I'm newly in management after being an engineer for a long

i was made management for union dodging reasons at my last job and it was so stupid

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I just need some kind of training or a cert I can go through and show it to the bosses like "you wanted me to take some training because I had no management experience, here it is!"
My actual job is mostly putting my team in position to do their best work, protecting them from anything that isn't that work, and dealing with financial poo poo.
Oh, and resisting the urge to go do a bunch of network engineering.

Edit - backstory, back in November they fired the worthless director of IT, and I, as the senior (only) engineer, kept the department running. After a month of that I was like "hell, I can do this" and threw my hat in the ring. They went for it despite me having no management experience or formal education, so now I'm developing an actual department.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 15, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yes sign up for leadership seminars in <nice beachside city you like>, drink a lot, then come back to work a management machine

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Day 4 of new job, I finally feel like I knew what I was doing for a majority of the day

I've also earned more in 4 days what I used to earn biweekly so gotta say it rules

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

i am a moron posted:

Yes sign up for leadership seminars in <nice beachside city you like>, drink a lot, then come back to work a management machine

I'm burning the travel budget this year visiting our major sites and seeing what the hell is actually going on with them. This mostly involves nice hotels and a lot of drinking, along with finding issues no one has bothered to fix for so long people got tired of complaining, and then fixing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Dude you don’t need training in management. I have a business administration degree that had a secondary focus or some poo poo in management and all I learned is that a managers span of control being over six people is legit terrible

Just sit back, kick your feet up, take that trip to Tampa for a Tony Robbins seminar, and pretend like you do stuff. Schedule lots of meetings but then never show up and say you have other meetings. Boom. Manager