Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Saladman posted:

That smells very strongly of bullshit. Venezuela and Ukraine both have agency, and the governments of both deeply hate the other major power.

Yes but Russia does not believe that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ynglaur posted:

Yes but Russia does not believe that is true.

This whole war was built on conversion camp logic so it's not that weird to hear Russia apply that logic to other countries

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DarklyDreaming posted:

This whole war was built on conversion camp logic so it's not that weird to hear Russia apply that logic to other countries

George W Bush is on record as having said that when he was leaving office Putin called and asked why he was leaving, and when Bush said, “the US constitution only allows me to serve 8 years…” Putin authentically questioned Bush about why he didn’t just change the constitution.

All of this is to say, the entire Putin government expects every other government to be interested in the same sorts of authoritarian power grabs and territorial acquisitions that they are.

It’s no surprise to me that Putin and the Russian government really believed, “hey we will just give the US Venezuela in exchange for Ukraine! That’s totally workable and of course the US will be interested.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eregos posted:

Is there a reason Romania and Bulgaria wouldn't want Ukrainian ships in their waters? If the Russians really will attack ships in other waters that would be a major escalation by them that I haven't discussion of yet.

The real reason is: Ain’t gonna get a hull policy for that.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Chill Monster posted:

I think it is more about the average amount of shelling than shelling period. All of the sources we have are indicating that as a whole, the Russian army is shelling considerably less than it was like two weeks ago.

See I still think the basic premise is flawed, this is the front 14 days ago

and this is today

A reposition? sure. Considerably less? I don't know. I guess you could argue that that is all Ukrainian shelling, but then you'd have to apply that same standard to Donbass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TASS claims that Russian forces have entered Seversk

https://t.me/tass_agency/146565

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

All of this is to say, the entire Putin government expects every other government to be interested in the same sorts of authoritarian power grabs and territorial acquisitions that they are.

It’s no surprise to me that Putin and the Russian government really believed, “hey we will just give the US Venezuela in exchange for Ukraine! That’s totally workable and of course the US will be interested.”

Yeah, let's not forget Russian media and intelligence services are *still* circulating the story that Poland is planning on sending forces into western Ukraine under a pretext of peacekeeping while actually intending to annex their historical domains. (No projection going on here. None!)

Only reason it hasn't happened yet is due to Russia bravely exposing this nefarious plot to the world, apparently.
https://tass.com/world/1479017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Another strike on a city

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1547500410914627585?t=gmwrWRIxenhkVgStWfFarg&s=19

ZombieLenin posted:

George W Bush is on record as having said that when he was leaving office Putin called and asked why he was leaving, and when Bush said, “the US constitution only allows me to serve 8 years…” Putin authentically questioned Bush about why he didn’t just change the constitution.

Yes, Putin considers democratic process a massive liability (as compared to the rule of a wise philosopher king like himself) and with years passed his isolated autocrat mushy brain only got worse.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Another strike on a city

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1547500410914627585?t=gmwrWRIxenhkVgStWfFarg&s=19

This strike looks so bafflingly stupid. They seem to have aimed for a concert hall called “Officers’ house”.

“Hey Google, show me closest military bases.”

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This strike looks so bafflingly stupid. They seem to have aimed for a concert hall called “Officers’ house”.

Vasily, we must respond by hitting their command and control.

*googles "officer's house"*

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Another strike on a city

Twitter nearly released me from my curse and was down for an hour, but now that it's back up let me warn people it's another bad day to scroll any Ukraine accounts - there are quite a few graphic pictures already popping up. Reporting so far is 20 dead, including three children, and 90 injured.

Edit: The justifications begins - the below pictures are very small and I don't see anything graphic but let me know if I should edit out the below
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1547551134897868801?s=20&t=2jxwKQG3jGgddAoVsTGDOw
"The Officer's House" is a theater located in a mall. It was struck in the middle of the day.

The city is straight north of Moldova, no where near the front lines. I've seen the pic with the stroller. Try not to.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 14, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The little burned out building attached to a big one was a clinic of some sort.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1547544932646359043

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 14, 2022

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Another highly visibly public place with little to no military value, way behind the front lines, hit right in the middle of the day when lots of normal people are out and about in the area. How surprising.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Morrow posted:

Vasily, we must respond by hitting their command and control.

*googles "officer's house"*

Keep in mind the russian chucklefucks know how wildly inaccurate their weapons are, and they're quite aware of the futility in trying to hit a specific location even if they had any intelligence on a legitimate target (they don't). They are plainly and willfully shooting at ANY target (and given the savviness of the Ukrainian army, only civilian targets are readily locatable), and their claims about having good intel on valid combatant targets is just PR for their own people.

In essence, the russian army is so incompetent and feckless that the only reliable military capability they have any more is terror strikes/killing civilians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think this one may have been actual cruise missiles, I think?

OTOH:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1547508080094633984

..and the big deadly apartment building hit was Uragan MLRS

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/26/historian-says-dont-compare-ukraine-invasion-with-his-book-on-first-world-war

Interesting article about the historian Christopher Clark, who’s urging not to compare the current conflict with WWI.
“The world in general is more and more like the 19th century: multipolar and unpredictable.”

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

KitConstantine posted:

Twitter nearly released me from my curse and was down for an hour, but now that it's back up let me warn people it's another bad day to scroll any Ukraine accounts - there are quite a few graphic pictures already popping up. Reporting so far is 20 dead, including three children, and 90 injured.

The city is straight north of Moldova, no where near the front lines. I've seen the pic with the stroller. Try not to.

This is so dumb. You are wasting munitions on something non war related that only pisses your opponent off more while reminding the world why they should hate you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zhanism posted:

This is so dumb. You are wasting munitions on something non war related that only pisses your opponent off more while reminding the world why they should hate you.

On the other hand if your doctrine can be summed up as "genocide, terrorising civilians, and war crimes until they're dead or submit" it's pretty spot on. Ukraine can punch back though which they're not used to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zhanism posted:

Killing all the native Ukrainians is directly war related for Putin. It's the whole point of it.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Zhanism posted:

It's really their only play, through and through. As we got to the point of military resistance against the russian invasion, people were repeatedly citing the previous examples of russia's playbook and the absolute guarantee that capricious destruction, cruelty to civilians, mass looting, and murder would be the repetition of the theme already observed. Everyone was saying "yeah they're just going to grozny poo poo" and it's been true throughout.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/imf-expects-ukraine-continue-servicing-debt-spokesman-2022-07-14/

The imf still demanding its pound of flesh even during a goddamned war

quote:

Ukraine's state-owned gas company Naftogaz asked its international creditors earlier this week to allow for a two-year deferral on debt payments, fueling bets that the sovereign could follow.

Creditors were urged Thursday to reject the company's request.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Zhanism posted:

I'm American, in the 90's spent a couple of weeks in Viet Nam, hit the war museums in Hanoi and HCMC.

The total lack of antipathy to the US and Americans was a huge surprise, almost embarrassing. I encountered no hard feelings, bad will or recriminations. Granted, it was only a couple of weeks and my encounters were mostly hotel, shops and restaurants. Even at the museums, some of them open air, where there was plenty of anti-US agit prop exhibitions, it was always, "This is our history," and not "This is what the evil US needs to answer for," although the old propaganda artwork was harsh and unforgiving. But not the people, who were exceptionally warm and friendly. It was not what I had expected and prepared myself for.

I have no idea how the Vietnamese moved away from hate and recrimination. I didn't have the guts to ask, "Why don't you hate us?" I was more uncomfortable with the topic than the Vietnamese.

Russia is digging an unfathomably deep hole for justified Ukrainian hatred to fill and the Vietnamese sort of detente, let alone friendliness, between Ukraine and Russia doesn't even seem imaginable.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

the popes toes posted:

I'm American, in the 90's spent a couple of weeks in Viet Nam, hit the war museums in Hanoi and HCMC.

The total lack of antipathy to the US and Americans was a huge surprise, almost embarrassing. I encountered no hard feelings, bad will or recriminations. Granted, it was only a couple of weeks and my encounters were mostly hotel, shops and restaurants. Even at the museums, some of them open air, where there was plenty of anti-US agit prop exhibitions, it was always, "This is our history," and not "This is what the evil US needs to answer for," although the old propaganda artwork was harsh and unforgiving. But not the people, who were exceptionally warm and friendly. It was not what I had expected and prepared myself for.

I have no idea how the Vietnamese moved away from hate and recrimination. I didn't have the guts to ask, "Why don't you hate us?" I was more uncomfortable with the topic than the Vietnamese.

Russia is digging an unfathomably deep hole for justified Ukrainian hatred to fill and the Vietnamese sort of detente, let alone friendliness, between Ukraine and Russia doesn't even seem imaginable.

It also helps that the US-Vietnamese conflict was a bit of a historical oddity, once the war was over the nations had no further conflicts, just common enemies. A single generation isn't a lot of time to build up lasting enmity, especially when the US was just one of a rotating cast of villains from the 1940s to the 1970s for Vietnam, ending with China. From the Vietnamese perspective, Americans were maybe the third biggest threat, if you exclude the southerners as distinct agents.

Meanwhile, Ukrainians will always be dealing with Russia as a threat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zhanism posted:

Russia, as always, is trying to play it both ways. On one hand, the narrative is that they're only targeting military infrastructure, and Ukraine uses civilians as a shield by not evacuating all of them to Russia. On the other hand, and this message is slightly less overt, but still very much present even in official propaganda on TV, it is something like this.

quote:

For the humanists and the self-righteous, I repeat, this is war! And in war all means are justified. If we don't bomb maternity wards, schools, ordinary residential areas, we will not win this war. Only pressure from the people of salo-reich on Zelensky can force him to capitulate.
The reputation of Russia and its army is at stake. We must win, whatever it takes!
And remember, you cannot speak against your own motherland in times of war. Even if she is wrong!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 14, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'll have you know that Vinnitsya is a very important city militarily. Well, at least it has an interesting history...

1) it was just one of the many places where Einsatzgruppen executed all the Jews in wake of German advance in 1941, producing this :nms: iconic photograph :nms: (CW: execution, mass grave full of bodies)

2) during cold war it was reported in media that KGB trained thousands of spies there to infiltrate USA in an American miniature small town. The best part is this "documentary", or more an imagining of what a KGB infiltration training facility would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVMP4dQLNgY

Apparently all of this is based on claims by a Swedish intelligence officer (or someone claiming to be one) Per Lindgren. I'm sure none of this is just some Baron von Münchhausen stuff or bullshit fed to Swedes by Soviet double agents.

quote:

Monday April 13, 1959.

Stockholm, Sweden - UPI - The big, shining American automobile drew up outside the "Texas Bar". A tall man in an ivy league suit got out and sauntered in to the dimly lit saloon.

"A sweet martini," he ordered.

"Nyet," snarled the barman.' "No American would drink a sweet martini. Now start all over again."

"Well, how about a Scotch on the rocks?"

Maj. Per Lindgren writing in I the Swedish military journal; "Contact With the Armed Forces." says this is the sort of thing' that happens every day in the; "typically American" town of Winniza, USSR.

30,000 Inhabitants

For Winniza, Lindgren says, is Russia’s top school for Soviet spies scheduled for assignment in the United States.

Russian spy training in Winniza. a tightly guarded town of 30.000 inhabitants in the central Ukraine, is the most efficient m the world.' Lindgren says "Nobody graduates until they are completely Indoctrinated into the American way of life," he said. Some of them spend up to 13 years there before their big chance comes." ,

According to Lindgren;

* About 1,000 students from Russian universities are sent there ever year. The town is surrounded by barbed wire. Guards patrol the boundaries and "ordinary" Russians are not allowed entry.

* All cars are American made. Bars and drugstores abound, jukeboxes blare out American jazz and rock & roll at all hours. Glamor girls put on burlesque shows.

* Instructors act as barmen, waiters, hotel receptionists and shop hands. Every mistake is corrected on the spot. Every kind of American accent is taught. History strictly from the American angle, is pumped into the students.

* They learn how to make telephone calls, how to order theater tickets in Boston, how to talk authoritatively on baseball. There is a special course on Hollywood with special emphasis on the seamier side of life there.

* Students have to put themselves m the place of middle class Americans defending United States foreign policy.

* They're [taught] ... to drive under American regulations - and how to react if pulled up by a traffic officer. Chewing gum machines adorn the sidewalks. The movie theaters show only American pictures. Poker is the only card game allowed.

Lindgren did not disclose his sources for the article, but he I said. ‘Allied counterespionage is well aware of Winniza's existence "

He added that the Allies also* knew about the Russian school 'for female spies at Marienburg, in Saxony, East Germany.

He said the Marienburg center was camouflaged as a dancing and gymnastic school and the "girls who graduate from there go to work mainly in West Germany where American military personnel are stationed.*'

They are the best looking women available, perfectly trained in everything from make-up to swearing in "Americancse" Lindgren said their most important course was "the art of seduction." but they also learn to dance the newest Americans and Latin steps.

Lindgren said Marienburg's best known graduate was beautiful Irmgardt. She got five years in jail in 1950 for trying to get secrets from an American member of the Berlin espionage bureau.

KGB sure had no lack of resources to have a small town full of Buicks and Chevrolets in 1959! I don't know whose idea it was to add burlesque shows but I bet that guy got a promotion...

3) during cold war it was an important base for Soviet airforces and strategic rocket forces (maybe Russian intel hasn't been updated)

4) Nikolai Pirogov, who is said to be the founder of field surgery as we know it because he used anaesthesia in surgeries in the Crimean war, was born there

5) this Hero of Ukraine whom Russians assassinated in Kyiv in 2017 was born there, he was the commander of the special forces who re-took the Donetsk airport in 2014

So as you see, it is totally understandable that this city would be considered a clear and present threat to Russia

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Paladinus posted:

quote:

For the humanists and the self-righteous, I repeat, this is war! And in war all means are justified. If we don't bomb maternity wards, schools, ordinary residential areas, we will not win this war. Only pressure from the people of salo-reich on Zelensky can force him to capitulate.

Because if the past century of warfare has taught us anything, its that the bombing of civilian targets to break their spirit and force capitulation, Just, Works.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Relating to the latest missile attack; on Imgur saw a little clip of a woman and her 3-4 year old daughter out for a walk, 90 minutes later the woman has lost a leg and the daughter is dead. :ukraine:

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

On the other hand if your doctrine can be summed up as "genocide, terrorising civilians, and war crimes until they're dead or submit" it's pretty spot on. Ukraine can punch back though which they're not used to.

Deteriorata posted:

Killing all the native Ukrainians is directly war related for Putin. It's the whole point of it.

Kavros posted:

It's really their only play, through and through. As we got to the point of military resistance against the russian invasion, people were repeatedly citing the previous examples of russia's playbook and the absolute guarantee that capricious destruction, cruelty to civilians, mass looting, and murder would be the repetition of the theme already observed. Everyone was saying "yeah they're just going to grozny poo poo" and it's been true throughout.

Oh I 100% know this but what i failed to really articulate how i feel is that this is not Chechnya or Georgia where the country is small and these things can work. You dont have the missiles to kill every single Ukrainian, you dont have the manpower to occupy the whole country. Why are you wasting munitions when these are evident facts and your actual military is bogged down hundreds of miles away.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zhanism posted:

Oh I 100% know this but what i failed to really articulate how i feel is that this is not Chechnya or Georgia where the country is small and these things can work. You dont have the missiles to kill every single Ukrainian, you dont have the manpower to occupy the whole country. Why are you wasting munitions when these are evident facts and your actual military is bogged down hundreds of miles away.

Putin actually failed to do this in Chechnya. He had to sue for peace and give Kadyrov everything he wanted in exchange for being able to call it a win.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

2) during cold war it was reported in media that KGB trained thousands of spies there to infiltrate USA in an American miniature small town. The best part is this "documentary", or more an imagining of what a KGB infiltration training facility would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVMP4dQLNgY

Did the Central committee order sickles and hammers to be sold at a discounted rate in the KGB gardening store

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Who is this

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Deteriorata posted:

Because despite all of the evidence to the contrary provided by the Second World War, there are idiots out there in charge of things that still think terror bombing hurts enemy morale rather than solidifies national determination.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Willo567 posted:

Who is this

According to web, a Russian "social media soldier influencer". I'm not sure how he's relevant and if he's even real, but I hate him already because of the description "influencer"

https://worldcrunch.com/world-affairs/anatoly-dremov-russian-soldier-social-media

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

the popes toes posted:

I was also surprised that it was basically the same with Cuba, even when there are a strong portion of problems even in the present-day directly caused by the US government being spiteful dicks, needlessly. Maybe there though it is because every third person has a relative living in Miami who sends them $, who knows.

Although I've travelled a lot and have always said I'm American when asked, and have never had received any visible antipathy for it, even in countries that hate America (Jordan, Lebanon, etc). Actually the worst antipathy I ever received was in Germany. Maybe because it's a huge country with an absolute stranglehold over "generic international culture" such that there is no one overwhelming opinion of any particular American. I don't know so much about the USSR-sphere but maybe it is similar there, such that Ukrainians and Kazakhs and etc can separate the Russian government from Russians?

Paladinus posted:

What is a "Salo-Reich"? Like the fascist government of Italy based in Salo? That doesn't even make sense to me in this context.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 14, 2022

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but this is the same reason Spain didn't join the axis. Even as the war was still going okay if obvious to The outsiders that things were going downhill fast.

Like I can understand this thinking if Iran had an existential Invasion threat on the horizon but it doesn't. It's pretty drat stable all things considered. Yeah I know US warhawking etc but that hasn't completely come into fruiting. It's also glaringly obvious that Russia isn't the ally Iran needs to bulwark against the US.

You should definitely look into Iran politics surrounding the sanctions a little more as the mainstream Iranians definitely would love to see sanctions gone but the government stays.

Well, looks like you might have been right. Iran is basically like "nah, we have a purely defensive agreement. We're not giving them poo poo"

https://english.nv.ua/nation/iran-says-it-refused-to-supply-drones-to-russia-russia-invasion-of-ukraine-50256165.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

What is a "Salo-Reich"? Like the fascist government of Italy based in Salo? That doesn't even make sense to me in this context.

Salo is Ukraine’s national dish, a fatback slab. Stereotypically found gross by Russians.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Salo is Ukraine’s national dish, a fatback slab. Stereotypically found gross by Russians.

Just googled it. It looks like bacon. Back bacon. Does it taste like bacon? Who would hate that?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dirt5o8 posted:

Just googled it. It looks like bacon. Back bacon. Does it taste like bacon? Who would hate that?
It's all fat though. Bacon has meat in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's all fat though. Bacon has meat in it.

If the wife allowed me, i would cook in nothing but lard or bacon grease. That makes everything tastes good.