Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

Yes sign up for leadership seminars in <nice beachside city you like>, drink a lot, then come back to work a management machine

I knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_by_wandering_around

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The real big brains play is pretend like you’re going to Tampa but then use the per diem to hide out at a hotel down the street from your house and drink alone for the sole purpose of avoiding your family

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of management my next round of dumb vendor meetings for dosh is next week.

https://quartznetwork.com/

Y’all get in on the easy grift.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Silly Newbie posted:

I just need some kind of training or a cert I can go through and show it to the bosses like "you wanted me to take some training because I had no management experience, here it is!"
My actual job is mostly putting my team in position to do their best work, protecting them from anything that isn't that work, and dealing with financial poo poo.
Oh, and resisting the urge to go do a bunch of network engineering.

Edit - backstory, back in November they fired the worthless director of IT, and I, as the senior (only) engineer, kept the department running. After a month of that I was like "hell, I can do this" and threw my hat in the ring. They went for it despite me having no management experience or formal education, so now I'm developing an actual department.

I mean, you can. But management is literally one of those jobs where you try to emulate the good bosses you had, resist the urge to do things that seem like “that one boss you hated” and then learn by doing. You want always make the right call. But you learn and grow. ALSO is your boss trying to mentor you at all? When I started I had a lot of conversations with my boss about decisions I wanted to make, and my solution. She would usually just go “that’s good, go” other times “have you considered X”. Really does a good one. Especially because a lot of it is you understanding the dynamics of the people, the politics, the budget and time and working within those so they are happy campers.

Edit: also books help get into frame of mind.

The mission, the men and me was mentioned.

Also: extreme ownership and the follow up book were helpful to me in the beginning.

ptier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 15, 2022

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sepist posted:

There's dozens of us ITT

A goon in this thread reports to me but I'm not gonna blow up their spot

This? This is power.

Also I joined this trade to avoid being a manager anymore and ended up trading one pain for MSP pain, hosed up tbh

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ptier posted:

I mean, you can. But management is literally one of those jobs where you try to emulate the good bosses you had, resist the urge to do things that seem like “that one boss you hated” and then learn by doing. You want always make the right call. But you learn and grow. ALSO is your boss trying to mentor you at all? When I started I had a lot of conversations with my boss about decisions I wanted to make, and my solution. She would usually just go “that’s good, go” other times “have you considered X”. Really does a good one. Especially because a lot of it is you understanding the dynamics of the people, the politics, the budget and time and working within those so they are happy campers.

Oh no doubt, I don't expect any kind of training to actually improve my management ability other than maybe teach me one or two things I hadn't thought of before. I'm just looking for something I can spend some company money to do and afterward say "you asked me to take some management training. Here is the management training I did. I'm sure I learned a lot".
My boss is the CFO, and I think this might be his first time managing people too. He's taken several of my people management ideas, like one quick stand up meeting early in the week, occasional department happy hour things, and other team building without being intrusive stuff like that and implemented the same for the people that report to him.
I'm the end all be all for IT, but I'm learning a lot about the finance side that seems important.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

ASAPRockySituation posted:

This? This is power.

I think you're misreading it. We both know each others usernames, there's no ambiguity.

Edit: I can provide no management advice. I didn't read books or take classes. I just try to look out for my team and make sure they're being treated fairly and are working on stuff that keeps them interested. I do so much engineering myself that I don't get enough "management" things done but fortunately my lead has 10 years management experience and does a great job making up for my shortcomings there.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 15, 2022

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jokes is jokes though that seems like it’d be somewhat awkward for you both, nobody can post their whole rear end

I imagine management is a lot better when you have reasonable resources but I can’t say I ever felt that end of it. When you don’t have enough, you’re in for pain probably. I certainly felt it.

In true agile that wouldn’t happen but it’s a waterfall world in a half assed agile suit, so.

Just communicate with your team enough to know when and why they’re unhappy and make sure they know you’re listening, I had folks do crazy stuff for me in doing that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Jokes is jokes though that seems like it’d be somewhat awkward for you both, nobody can post their whole rear end

Oh yea I think that was a concern before joining IIRC but it all worked out. I barely look at SA outside this thread though so there's plenty of places to complain about our company without me noticing!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

Oh yea I think that was a concern before joining IIRC but it all worked out. I barely look at SA outside this thread though so there's plenty of places to complain about our company without me noticing!

Way to out me

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't come to work tomorrow this was strike 3

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

Don't come to work tomorrow this was strike 3

Finally

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He only bowls so strikes are good.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

Day 4 of new job, I finally feel like I knew what I was doing for a majority of the day

I've also earned more in 4 days what I used to earn biweekly so gotta say it rules

Day 4 of new job myself. Got to break something intentionally and blame Microsoft while running around fixing the issue for everyone and building good will. Didn’t have time to automate the fix though.

Also found out Fridays and Mondays are WFH days watch is a nice bonus.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh no doubt, I don't expect any kind of training to actually improve my management ability other than maybe teach me one or two things I hadn't thought of before. I'm just looking for something I can spend some company money to do and afterward say "you asked me to take some management training. Here is the management training I did. I'm sure I learned a lot".
My boss is the CFO, and I think this might be his first time managing people too. He's taken several of my people management ideas, like one quick stand up meeting early in the week, occasional department happy hour things, and other team building without being intrusive stuff like that and implemented the same for the people that report to him.
I'm the end all be all for IT, but I'm learning a lot about the finance side that seems important.

I hear what you're saying. I think the "managing people" part might be what folks are struggling with. I think it's harder to find training for just that. I'd look into ITIL / ITSM / Toastmasters / an MBA bootcamp / PMQ / Agile certifications, etc. See what seems most interesting to you.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Internet Explorer posted:

I hear what you're saying. I think the "managing people" part might be what folks are struggling with. I think it's harder to find training for just that. I'd look into ITIL / ITSM / Toastmasters / an MBA bootcamp / PMQ / Agile certifications, etc. See what seems most interesting to you.

I was thinking about ITIL and ITSM, but some kind of MBA boot camp might be what I should really look at. I'm strong technically and in project management, strong in managing people from the "what kind of bosses helped me succeed in the past and what did they do" philosophy, but I'm relatively weak on the business side of things.
Thanks everyone who contributed, talking it out helped my own thought processes too.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

I was thinking about ITIL and ITSM, but some kind of MBA boot camp might be what I should really look at. I'm strong technically and in project management, strong in managing people from the "what kind of bosses helped me succeed in the past and what did they do" philosophy, but I'm relatively weak on the business side of things.
Thanks everyone who contributed, talking it out helped my own thought processes too.

MBA stuff is better once you have a few years of management under your belt I have been told.

Look for short courses on coaching, day or two day workshops on specific leadership models, such as capability leadership etc.

And I suggest a mentor, like a proper external professional you engage fortnightly or monthly like a counsellor, but for professional things. That you can talk to confidentially.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I know we've had this discussion before but are there any good ways of dealing with burnout that don't include taking time off?
I've mentally hit a wall from explaining the same things over and over to the point that I just don't feel motivated to do anything, not even other work than what isn't problematic. But I also have a shitton of very urgent work that needs to be done. I'm just sick of fighting for permission to do the work and sick of trying to explain how things work to people who have no interest it beyond injecting their opinions which have no basis in fact.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know we've had this discussion before but are there any good ways of dealing with burnout that don't include taking time off?
I've mentally hit a wall from explaining the same things over and over to the point that I just don't feel motivated to do anything, not even other work than what isn't problematic. But I also have a shitton of very urgent work that needs to be done. I'm just sick of fighting for permission to do the work and sick of trying to explain how things work to people who have no interest it beyond injecting their opinions which have no basis in fact.

Quoting myself from before.

Sorry you're in that situation. My only real advice here is that it's not your job to make sure your department is adequately staffed. That's management's job and if they aren't taking that sort of thing seriously, you sure as gently caress shouldn't be killing yourself over it. Don't apologize to end users, don't work extra hours, don't bust your rear end trying to keep up. Let the squeaky wheel get the grease.

Still a lovely situation to be in, without a doubt.

I have often struggled with burnout. You should absolutely take time off, so do that if you can, but it's not enough if it's a poo poo job. If you can't fix your current place and you can't mentally check out, my advice is to find a new job. There's countless stories of goons in this thread and the other IT threads who went through the same thing and were much happier after leaving.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Silly Newbie posted:

If you want to go extra, you could do an MBA (including in information technology management) in 6 months from WGU and have them pay for it, but that isn’t the quick turnaround for you to point at that I feel like you’re looking for. And will require more work than sitting in a class.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Well I passed my first ever coding challenge last week and final stage interview yesterday. Assuming my references are okay then I guess I'm starting a new job soon. It's only a 15 person company, never worked somewhere like that so don't know what to expect, the smallest org I've worked for is 3.5k people.

Feel kind of bad for my boss since I'm leaving them in the lurch and he's a very decent guy, especially because he just mentioned he's trying to get a network architect position set up for me. I'm really tired of this place, the new position would pay better if they offered it but wouldn't solve any of the issues. The culture here is kind of poo poo. Lots of finger pointing and dodging responsibility. I've been working from 9am to 8 or 9pm for the last month or so because of this awfully managed migration project they're doing. I know some of it is my own doing as the security bits are happening because I'm trying to fix the garage environment but this work is incredibly boring and tedious, even after I've automated most of it. I can't stand being in meetings for five minutes with these people, let alone working with them on this for another 4 months.

Almost lost my temper in a meeting at one dickhead this week because he tried blaming someone else for not doing the discovery work that he was supposed to do. We've all been on the same meetings and this person he blamed has never been asked to do that work. He doesn't do poo poo, I've heard of other instances in the past where he's blamed others and got caught out on it but nothing gets done... He's been here over half a decade and I found out recently nothing will get done because if a manager has an employee on a performance improvement plan then the manager gets a bad review and doesn't get their pay raise.

I'm tired of feeling constantly stressed trying to keep on top of everything here. They do project allocations to split your weekly time. I have a 97.5% project allocation, split across about 10 projects every week, with 2.5% of BAU support but I still get every query or ticket because everyone knows the other network engineer here is hopeless. I'm doing the most work on this migration project but I only have a 30% allocation, everyone else assigned has 100% allocation to it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
MBAs are for networking. If you do it any other way you are irradiating your brain with stupid business school poo poo for practically no reason. Not sure what a bootcamp is, but if it’s online don’t do it. If you’re looking at a school that isn’t regionally accredited I wouldn’t bother either. People who care about MBAs aren’t hiring people with MBAs from University of Phoenix or WGU. It’s also a badge of incredible, almost bottomless douchiness

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

remember that bug in server 2008r2 where when setting up a new network adapter it will just like, wipe out anything you put in the default gateway field? multiple times until it finally sticks?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

App13 posted:

God I loving love project management and the fact that everyone else hates it so much makes it even better. Continue paying me to move kan ban cards into buckets pls

the problem with PM's is that a good PM is basically an invisible hand that makes a project go well, so it ends up being hard to justify having a good PM since they blend in to the background. A bad PM is highly visible since he's basically this scene from the spidermen movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4THGYRLtE

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Got an interview in a few minutes, it'll probably get me out of help desk and hopefully out of Utah. It's not IT but whatever, I'll find my way back to IT eventually

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Good luck!!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hotel Kpro posted:

Got an interview in a few minutes, it'll probably get me out of help desk and hopefully out of Utah. It's not IT but whatever, I'll find my way back to IT eventually

slyly ask if they have stairs in their house

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i am a moron posted:

MBAs are for networking. If you do it any other way you are irradiating your brain with stupid business school poo poo for practically no reason. Not sure what a bootcamp is, but if it’s online don’t do it. If you’re looking at a school that isn’t regionally accredited I wouldn’t bother either. People who care about MBAs aren’t hiring people with MBAs from University of Phoenix or WGU. It’s also a badge of incredible, almost bottomless douchiness

empty quoting this!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Had the first all hands meeting since being forced back into the office. The only question that was asked of the big boss, and two execs was “ why aren’t we allowed to work remote “ I believe the whole shop is pretty united on that.

Watching those $250k public employees nearly poo poo themselves and dance around the subject like they’re about to trip over a pile of poo poo on the floor in front of them is telling.

Most of us who aren’t fully institutionalized are about to leave methinks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Quoting myself from before.

I have often struggled with burnout. You should absolutely take time off, so do that if you can, but it's not enough if it's a poo poo job. If you can't fix your current place and you can't mentally check out, my advice is to find a new job. There's countless stories of goons in this thread and the other IT threads who went through the same thing and were much happier after leaving.

Thanks for that. I know we talked about it but I couldn't find it.
I gave my boss a gentle nudge via email. I basically said that all our meetings have just devolved into him (my boss) and my manager talking in circles around technologies that they don't have a firm grasp of while the two people who are supposed to be actually contributing to the meeting sit silent. And that I'll be able to make more progress once they've actually contributed.

poo poo's either gonna fail spectacularly and my boss will have to answer for it, or someone else is going to have to do their job and let my boss take the credit. IDGAF either way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really feel for you. Going by your posts, it seems like a lovely situation to be in. Take care of yourself, remember your job doesn't define you, and remember that no matter how much it may feel like it, you're not stuck. You can always make your own decision on whether or not it's time to leave, PTO, vesting, benefits, etc., be damned. None of that is worth anything if it is making your life miserable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know I think I'm finally past the point of giving a gently caress anymore. I'm in a state job and will fully vest in the state pension fund in 3 years. I'm just gonna put in my 7.5 hours and go home everyday and not care. If a better job comes by I'll take it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Vargatron posted:

You know I think I'm finally past the point of giving a gently caress anymore. I'm in a state job and will fully vest in the state pension fund in 3 years. I'm just gonna put in my 7.5 hours and go home everyday and not care. If a better job comes by I'll take it.

Nearly identical boat here. I keep going back and forth between may as well ride it out and the pension ain't loving worth it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That’s a lot better than Seagull Management

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or on-the-spot guidance

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Most managers being power hungry fascists dictators makes this eerily relatable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thanks for that. I know we talked about it but I couldn't find it.
I gave my boss a gentle nudge via email. I basically said that all our meetings have just devolved into him (my boss) and my manager talking in circles around technologies that they don't have a firm grasp of while the two people who are supposed to be actually contributing to the meeting sit silent. And that I'll be able to make more progress once they've actually contributed.

poo poo's either gonna fail spectacularly and my boss will have to answer for it, or someone else is going to have to do their job and let my boss take the credit. IDGAF either way.

If you are at the point of sending your boss emails that say he doesn't know what he's talking about, he is not going to appreciate that, and the situation is not going to get better. If you're not already applying for new jobs, do it now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Heh, posted this in the wrong IT thread.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yup. Incidentally this ties into the another conversation happening in this thread and is why MBAs are such unrelenting douchebags. When your organization is completely subservient to shareholder value and arcane business processes, and you do fake-smart dumb poo poo like "apply LEAN management to credit card operations" you're going to have a bad time. Anyone with an MBA could regurgitate to you that the cost of hiring/retraining people is way more expensive than simply paying employees their due, but they're also too loving stupid to participate in or design systems that are anything but a capitalist meatgrinder.

edit: thanks, now this looks ridiculous. im leaving it.