Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Helith posted:

My sis back in the UK likes Fentimans.

They make a lovely dandelion & burdock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, Fentimans is good too. Basically anything is going to be better than Schweppes.

My mother also overcooks meat and fish. And I cannot abide dry meat and fish.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I love Fever Tree’s stuff but I absolutely cannot stand their Mediterranean Tonic (the blue label). It’s been a while since I’ve had it and I didn’t particularly like G&Ts back then, but I trust my palate.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random lurker checking in.

I've mostly learned to cook by trial and error (and error and error) and just reading threads here has been great for figuring out how I've screwed up. My mother did all the cooking when I was growing up, but she and my father both worked and it was rare that she had time to do more than A: take food out of freezer B: throw food in boiling pot/in oven/in microwave. She knows how to bake well enough though. Dad worked a lot of overtime and never cooked. It was probably for the best because he burned everything.

My wife hates cooking but I love it. Between jobs I've been variously a college student and stay-at-home dad while we've been together, and she's always made way more money than me so I just sort of fell into it. I remember once years ago I asked her if she was jealous that I was the only one who got to do the cooking and she looked at me as if I had just torn off my skin and declared my allegiance to the subterranean lizard empire.

Fever Tree is great. We both like ginger beer, my wife in particular, and we've had a had time finding a brand with any bite. They've had cases at the local Costco the last couple of times I've gone and it's been a hit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

I remember once years ago I asked her if she was jealous that I was the only one who got to do the cooking and she looked at me as if I had just torn off my skin and declared my allegiance to the subterranean lizard empire.
Lol

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Maestro posted:

I love Fever Tree’s stuff but I absolutely cannot stand their Mediterranean Tonic (the blue label). It’s been a while since I’ve had it and I didn’t particularly like G&Ts back then, but I trust my palate.

The Mediterranean is kinda an acquired taste- my girlfriend loves it, but she lived three years in Italy. I prefer the Indian tonic.

I’m actually working up a quick history of the gin and tonic. I’ll share if it makes publication.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picked up some Raku. What’s the highest and best use of it?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What is Raku? Google leads me to believe it's a common name for Japanese restaurants

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

camoseven posted:

What is Raku? Google leads me to believe it's a common name for Japanese restaurants

Sorry, Roku. Gin.

edit: Confused it with Raku restaurant in Vegas. Which is awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Roku good. Raku good. I'd drink Roku at Raku but they're sake only.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Plus their pottery is just so hot

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Makes a great classic martini. Two ounces gin, one ounce dry vermouth, lemon twist. Dash of orange bitters if you have it.

There's a really nice Japanese sake-based vermouth from Oka Kura that is incredible in a martini with Roku, if you happen to see that you should try it out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife loves gin and has tried lots of gins, and when we went to South Africa a few years ago we found out that there are various gins made using Fynbos, and she said it's the best stuff she's ever had. I just went back and brought back 2 bottles from different gin distilleries and she loving LOVES it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

My wife loves gin and has tried lots of gins, and when we went to South Africa a few years ago we found out that there are various gins made using Fynbos, and she said it's the best stuff she's ever had. I just went back and brought back 2 bottles from different gin distilleries and she loving LOVES it.

Sheeeit, must pick some up next time I am in SA. I had heard about the explosion in craft gin in SA but hadn't thought to get some. Anyway, I had a large G&T earlier (it is hnot here now), and it was delicious. Thanks!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

re: ginchat: I like Empress. It's pretty and mixes well in a French 75.

re: parentchat: When I was growing up mom did her best to put nutritious meals on the table. Every meal had a meat, a starch, a vegetable and a salad. It was good food but not artful by any means (lots of steamed lima beans). When I was a teenager, my dad started getting into cooking and wine as a hobby. Now they cook amazing stuff all the time.

And if any of you are anywhere near Maine next week, I will cook for you on the 17th!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Roku gin came with a suggested cocktail recipe of Roku, rhubarb liqueur, and hibiscus tonic. I’m only two ingredients short.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Smh if you don’t steep your own rhubarb liqueur on the reg.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Roku gin came with a suggested cocktail recipe of Roku, rhubarb liqueur, and hibiscus tonic. I’m only two ingredients short.

"Mixed drink, play netflix"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m brewing up some ginger beer. Mediaphage’s recipe. Super easy, super delicious. We are having. A heatwave and it’ll still be hot here by the time it’s ready in a couple of days.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Drink and Fight posted:

I once watched my mother cook a lamb tenderloin steak (is there a better word for that?) by encasing it in plastic wrap and microwaving for several minutes.

OK, how did it taste?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

I once watched my mother cook a lamb tenderloin steak (is there a better word for that?) by encasing it in plastic wrap and microwaving for several minutes.
The Sarans of the Lambs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

The Sarans of the Lambs

:tipshat:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Re: Parents lack of cooking skills and such

I was pondering this a little bit, back in the day you generally learned to cook by watching your mom cook and maybe a home economics class here and there, there were few TV shows to learn technique from and it's not like you could record them until the 80's. There were cookbooks, even very good ones like Joy of Cooking, but mostly people just snipped recipes out of the newspaper or a magazine or shared them between friends or social groups and maybe some were handed down from parents. Even then your tools for cooking would be of really varying quality. Ovens off by who knows how much? Mass produced pots and pans of indifferent quality because, 'that's what they had at Woolworth's' and lol at reviews or selection and etc... Food very limited to what's in season (with variable freshness) or in cans and lol at having a comprehensive spice and herb selection.

We are probably living in something like a golden age of home cooking where the most complicated of French techniques performed by a master chef can be observed in minute detail from your living room and practiced on relatively high quality equipment for even just a modest investment.

For example, I watched a chef at a 3 star french restaurant make an omelet with a Parmesan sauce last night on youtube and took a shot at this morning and it was incredible even if I didn't hit exactly his mark of quality or presentation. Technique wise was stuff like making the sauce over a bain marie and exactly monitoring the temperature, sliding the omelet pan on and off the heat to slow the curd formation and forming the omelet as it thickened with the edge of the spatula, things that don't seem that complex but if you hadn't seen it you would be unlikely to come up with on your own.

70 years ago you cooked a steak until it was done. How did you know it was done? You could cut it open and looked and maybe you had a really slow and inaccurate meat thermometer but in reality you probably just cooked it until it looked like how it was when your mom cooked it and pulling it from the heat at 125 so the carry over temp could take it to 130 wasn't anything you'd ever heard of or could execute, much less 'reverse sear' or Sous Vide or a dry brine or aging the meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny to think about all the veggies I hated as a kid but it turns out that boiling vegetables isn’t the ideal way to cook 95% of them and yet that’s what was done.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My cooking frequency and fanciness went way down when we had our kid, but I'm glad to know shortcuts to flavorful and nicely textured veggies. Post college cooking is boot camp, parent cooking is war.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/faaiitthhy/status/1546206238651858945?s=21&t=Dv3tDsnUaqycJPG4AQf8AA

What’s up you whores

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gin is extremely widely varied so it’s probably best to try a bunch and see what you like

Scientastic already used the line but I like to tell people Hendricks is gin for people who don’t like gin. It pushes the cucumber forward and dials back the juniper, which seems to be the one thing most people don’t like about gin

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I'm out of the industry these days, so it's just free-range sluttery.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Vindication.

In my mid-twenties I set out to gain a skill: cook eggs. My plan was "cook her breakfast" from the start. Kind of backwards planning with major, obvious, critical steps coming well before breakfast and I was doing none of those well, either, but I figured I could learn to cook eggs without worrying about any other step. And it paid off in the end, my wife loves my cooking, especially the special breakfasts I make on the weekends. I taught myself how to poach eggs first, then moved on to scrambled (not a hard skill at all, but it still took some attention and effort to get it consistently right) and then over-easy. Sunny-side-up is still a work in progress, I don't practice it much because my wife always requests either poached or over-easy.

Getting competent at eggs made me generally comfortable in the kitchen, and I think I'm quite willing to try new things and engage in longer projects, like cooking several recipes several times each to really get an understanding of what to do and when it's time to flip them over or whatever. The ICSA challenges here, I've only done one so far, are also great for this kind of confidence-building.

EDIT: and I'm still waiting to hear about the Sarans of the Lambs, I'm legitimately curious if nuking a slab of meat wrapped in plastic is a valid cooking technique that results in edible or even tasty food.

\/\/\/\/ loving AWESOME I'M IN IN IN IN IN!!!!!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 12, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Getting competent at eggs made me generally comfortable in the kitchen, and I think I'm quite willing to try new things and engage in longer projects, like cooking several recipes several times each to really get an understanding of what to do and when it's time to flip them over or whatever. The ICSA challenges here, I've only done one so far, are also great for this kind of confidence-building.

Have I got good news for you, then...

Welcome to ICSA 72: Summertime.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 12, 2022

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

OK, how did it taste?

I didn't eat it but it was grey and steaming when it came out.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I really like "the white secretions give me pause" but "it was grey and steaming when it came out" is also pretty good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

I didn't eat it but it was grey and steaming when it came out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Liquid Communism posted:

Have I got good news for you, then...

Welcome to ICSA 72: Summertime.

Boosting this :woop:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

I really like "the white secretions give me pause" but "it was grey and steaming when it came out" is also pretty good.

Firmly agree.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Agreed.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My first thread title in 19 years.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Tell me how you learned to cook.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007348

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If I want to buy a new blender that's above poo poo tier, and/or buy once cry once, what brands should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A Vitamix is gonna seem like way too much money to spend on a blender but they're built like tanks and will be inherited by your grandchildren.