Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

AngryBooch posted:

I've developed an unconscious habit of exclaiming "Where did all the money go?!?!?" at my TV screen whenever I watch a show on Disney Plus or a fantasy epic on Amazon. It's getting more and more frantic.

Part of it is overpaying for cast. I have a friend trying to get a low/mid budget (20 mil) studio feature going and every time they reach out to a name for the lead they're outbid by the streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

teagone posted:

The Obi-Wan show really was the biggest disappointment. Like, drat, how do you gently caress it up that bad. Lmao.
I found a condensed version called the Kai Patterson edit that turns the series into a 2 1/2 hr movie and from scrubbing through it, it's way better.
Pretty much all the stupid scenes that the internet (and I as well) hated are cut out and he adds in John Williams' Star Wars score for important scenes.

There was a nugget of a good idea in Obi-Wan Kenobi, it was just stretched into 6 episodes when it really shouldn't have been.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

kliras posted:

i'm sorry, but i also have to quote the verbatim dialogue, as i was too caught up in the cinematography. that or my mind immediately drifted when they started talking:

c'mon, dude!

Crow T. Robot: "I have seen my share"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Obi-wan show owned itself when they used Duel of Fates in the trailer but not the actual show, and when they opened the first episode using footage from the movies which surprising looked better while being 20 years old

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kiimo posted:

I straight up stopped watching, I don't know if I'd ever done that with a Star Wars property.

I mean, I finished The Courtship of Princess Leia ffs

Courtship of Princess Leia is the only good Star Wars novel, inasmuch as it’s the only one that is the fun kind of stupid

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DeimosRising posted:

Courtship of Princess Leia is the only good Star Wars novel, inasmuch as it’s the only one that is the fun kind of stupid

Counterpoint, it's a really hosed up book, where Han kidnaps Leia and takes her to a planet that he won "for her" in a game, and is confused when she's not grateful for it. Shadows of the Empire is a more hosed up book, but it may be the only one.

I love the Witches of Dathomir stuff, but the central premise of the book has some serious problems.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prince Xizor is the ultimate goon. Too "busy" to work out on his own so he has one of those electric charge things they sell on late night TV to get you ripped while you play video games and his sweat is an aphrodisiac that drives hot chicks wild.

The only way around it is if her hairy friend zone oaf pal comes in and ruins the vibe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thrawn527 posted:

Counterpoint, it's a really hosed up book, where Han kidnaps Leia and takes her to a planet that he won "for her" in a game, and is confused when she's not grateful for it.

having only seen the original trilogy, i could see him do that and her reacting like that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tommy Wiseau should play the live action xixor

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carthag Tuek posted:

having only seen the original trilogy, i could see him do that and her reacting like that

Yeah that’s fully in character for pre brain damage, ESB Han

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kiimo posted:

Prince Xizor is the ultimate goon. Too "busy" to work out on his own so he has one of those electric charge things they sell on late night TV to get you ripped while you play video games and his sweat is an aphrodisiac that drives hot chicks wild.

The only way around it is if her hairy friend zone oaf pal comes in and ruins the vibe.

And he has an assassin sexbot iirc. Even as a kid I thought Shadows was hosed up

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
God, I wish Disney were throwing their millions at dumb fun EU poo poo like this rather than their bland-rear end safe personality-less garbage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

as a general point, i love and hate when people whose work i enjoy start making money, because its just so often stories im not interested in watching. like you're part of 1-2 good movies and get an offer to do a franchise for a million dollars so of course you say yes, i would too. but im not gonna watch it, its the opposite of interesting

i dont want a movie with known characters

so ive resigned to just waiting until theyre not bankable anymore, maybe they will still be interesting actors or directors after they build a nest egg. robert pattinson has been a fantastic actor so far, i hope he keeps it up (smuggo edit: i stopped watching superhero movies around ironman 2 so im not gonna watch the pattinson batman, also i hope taika waititi is ready for some of his own stuff again)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I suspect Disney isn’t spending a whole load on the TV shows- they’re probably still expensive in TV terms but this is a company that’s always looking to save pennies somewhere.

Obi Wan Kenobi in particular feels like Star Wars as a low budget 70s TV series, but luckily for them I am entirely on board with that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you want taika stuff you should watch what we do in the shadows and our flag means death

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kiimo posted:

If you want taika stuff you should watch what we do in the shadows and our flag means death

how do you think i came across his name

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Carthag Tuek posted:

how do you think i came across his name

the answer should be hunt for the wilderpeople or what we do in the shadows (the movie). credibility ruined

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ammanas posted:

the answer should be hunt for the wilderpeople or what we do in the shadows (the movie). credibility ruined

it was the number two of those things. the first one was also excellent. credibility who cares

i know i sound old as hell when i say i want to see original things made by people whose craft i enjoy, but thats who i am

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Counterpoint, it's a really hosed up book, where Han kidnaps Leia and takes her to a planet that he won "for her" in a game, and is confused when she's not grateful for it. Shadows of the Empire is a more hosed up book, but it may be the only one.

I love the Witches of Dathomir stuff, but the central premise of the book has some serious problems.

Wait, the cool creepy planet with the zombies and witches from Jedi Fallen Order is from *that* book?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, the cool creepy planet with the zombies and witches from Jedi Fallen Order is from *that* book?

Yup. It was brought into the Clone Wars TV show, which I thought was wild and awesome back then, and it was made even more awesome when that show was the only non-movie property kept canon after the buyout, making the Witches still canon.

They rode Rancors, too. Which comes up sometimes, still, but not nearly as often as something that badass should. But I also always loved their concept, that the Jedi weren’t the only ones to figure out how to use the Force, because of course they wouldn’t be. They figured it out on their own, and took it to a freaky as hell place.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

See the Rancor HasLab probably would have succeeded if instead of a cardboard background they included a Dathomir Witch figure to ride it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mAWKyfj6c

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just pray it's as good as H'18 and not the last movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXDeAcyt8Ng

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Trevorrow Episode IX script was gonna bring back a lot of really dumb EU things, like the Eclipse Class Star Destroyer.

Also Lightsaber Guillotine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Trevorrow Episode IX script was gonna bring back a lot of really dumb EU things, like the Eclipse Class Star Destroyer.

Also Lightsaber Guillotine.
Was it going to be worse than the Episode IX we ended up getting? Because I rewatched it last night and that movie is still pretty loving terrible!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

Was it going to be worse than the Episode IX we ended up getting? Because I rewatched it last night and that movie is still pretty loving terrible!

Finn began a stormtrooper revolution and librated a planet I think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

If you have two hours to spare youtuber Jenny Nicholson did a readthrough of the leaked script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGvXqviRys

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Jenny is passable but you can also search google for a made up name like "LORL REN" :lol: and a random extension like... pdf? And just read it yourself.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rageaholic posted:

There's a fan adaptation of it in comic book form floating around somewhere, honestly don't think it would've been any worse than what we got.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

New Munsters trailer announcing Blu-Ray release of September 27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVvrZG5lzc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think it's important to remember that the Episode IX script that didn't get made would still have been directed by Colin Trevorrow. Like, think what you want about Abrams, but let's not forget the Jurassic World movies.

People want to like Trevorrow's script because of their feelings on Rise of Skywalker. But that doesn't mean his movie wouldn't have sucked. He still makes poo poo movies. Just for a different franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Jenny is passable but you can also search google for a made up name like "LORL REN" :lol: and a random extension like... pdf? And just read it yourself.

but then you would miss all of Jenny's hats :3:

Scuffy_1989 posted:

New Munsters trailer announcing Blu-Ray release of September 27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVvrZG5lzc

it looks so baaaaaaaaaaad. and i think they know it's bad if they're already going all in on the physical release lmao

as has been said, why a prequel? that means no Eddy, no Marilyn, no house. why have two people who are like 50 playing the prequel versions of characters who weren't even meant to be that old in the first place?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

precision posted:

but then you would miss all of Jenny's hats :3:

it looks so baaaaaaaaaaad. and i think they know it's bad if they're already going all in on the physical release lmao

as has been said, why a prequel? that means no Eddy, no Marilyn, no house. why have two people who are like 50 playing the prequel versions of characters who weren't even meant to be that old in the first place?!

How else can he cast his wife in the lead role?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I really like this!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

If you have two hours to spare youtuber Jenny Nicholson did a readthrough of the leaked script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGvXqviRys

Lol just tell me if it was good or bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh it was bad, but imho more fun bad than the one we got.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shageletic posted:

Better. Not good, but better. At least it generally makes sense at least.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Ehhh. It does some things better, for sure. Like going back to Coruscant. It doesn't bring Palpatine back, which is either a plus or a minus, depending on your POV (I like Sheev being back, for how ridiculous it is, and for it being rooted in the old EU Dark Empire comics, but I get the complaints). It kind of has Rey and Poe being a thing, but not really. It's mostly sexual tension, and I think one kiss. But I think it also has Luke's voice telling her that Jedi should have no attachments? I can't remember for sure.

It's more polished than the rush job script that was Rise of Skywalker, but a lot would have come down to execution, which we'll obviously never see. (And, again, it would have been directed by the Jurassic World guy.) But people get way too hyped, I think, over some things like what type of lightsaber Rey uses, which doesn't really matter. (The script had her using a double bladed blue lightsaber, so...yay?) But also Rey wasn't a Palpatine in it, so that's better. And Rose is given way more to do, which is also much better. But the broom boy from Last Jedi is there, and I think he should have been left as a vague hope for the future, not an actual character. And I think it brings back Mortis from the Clone Wars TV show, which was certainly a weird thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I imagine that it would just be unmemorably bad like the Jurassic World movies, instead of being disastrously bad like The Rise of Skywalker, which like the GoT finale, seemed to have killed a lot of enthusiasm in the franchise for a lot of folks.