Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Elusive Samurai: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Mashle: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Roboco and Me: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Ruri Dragon: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Sakamoto Days: No idea because chapters were delayed a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God, so this is how Bondo feels...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Try not knowing that they were being punted untill you had to google it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ConanThe3rd posted:

Try not knowing that they were being punted untill you had to google it.

The fuckin' app had to issue a correction.

I thought something was wrong with time settings or something because the app initially told me the chapters were out but I couldn't even fuckin' find Blue Box.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I knew because last week when I was reading chapters I saw that all of them were saying “8 more days until new chapter”

I got the Blue Box notice and thought I went nuts for a minute but good to see they corrected themselves.

Ayakashi Triangle still updated today on Manga Plus if you want to see a cat need to transform into a pair of underwear. The author is truly free from the constraints of being in regular jump.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God, so this is how Bondo feels...

put some pants on!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I saw the "next chapter on the 18th of July" thing last Sunday but I'm still confused since as far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason WSJ got delayed by a day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruflux posted:

I saw the "next chapter on the 18th of July" thing last Sunday but I'm still confused since as far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason WSJ got delayed by a day.

It's probably a holiday of some kind.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ruflux posted:

It's Marine Day in Japan, a public holiday, so it gets delayed until Tuesday there

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Julias posted:

It's Marine Day in Japan, a public holiday, so it gets delayed until Tuesday there

drat, I didn't realize they had v-tubers popular enough to get national holidays.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PringleCreamEgg posted:

drat, I didn't realize they had v-tubers popular enough to get national holidays.

Everyone's gotta step up and do their most sincere Ahoy~!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Issue is finally out, just fyi

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Undead Unluck: The reveal in this week's chapter was pretty good. Although they really need to finish this fight so the story can move on.

Witch Watch: The addition of a Jekyll/Hyde monster boy makes me wonder when we'll get a Frankenstein.

Super Smartphone: I'm not really a fan of the big dumb guy character type so I hope this guy doesn't stick around.

Akane-banashi: Unrelated to the actual manga story but recently I learned that in Japan the Super Mario Bros character Lakitu is named Jugem and is a reference to the Jugemu Rakugo that Akane is doing

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Earthchild still not canned somehow.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its going to get a big budget multi-season anime with some of the most talented animators in the industry.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just fyi, this official Manly Man Dinner figure is available for pre-order.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Weird to witness the birth of an iconic gag character

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Earthchild still not canned somehow.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Earthchild Still Not Canned Somehow

Honestly, this chapter would have been a natural ending place, but instead it's getting the end-of-prologue treatment. It's going to be weird when it inevitably gets cancelled a couple chapters into the next arc.

Edit: Meanwhile in Aliens Area: "Equipment 1...and Equipment 2...He's using them together?!" Can anyone remember a shonen manga more generic than Aliens Area? I can think of plenty of worse ones, but not more generic ones.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 18, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Undead: Cool reveal. I expected something like unfair or unoriginal. Can he copy Unruin?

Mashle: Ready for the boss squad!

Elusive: Cool not quite showdown! Can't wait for the real showdown later. Sometimes I also really love the symbolism artwork, not necessarily the symbolism itself.

Sakamoto: I love those idiots.

Roboco: Cool

Super Smartphone: Was interesting.

Silver2195 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Earthchild Still Not Canned Somehow

Honestly, this chapter would have been a natural ending place, but instead it's getting the end-of-prologue treatment. It's going to be weird when it inevitably gets cancelled a couple chapters into the next arc.

Earth Child is immortal!
Chapter wasn't terrible. But I just love how all these people keep fawning over dad and suddenly telling he's an amazing powerless dude who just happens to be an amplifyer. But the panel layout continues to amaze. It's just so bad. Also Katagiri is very helpfully reminding us of how much of a dick he and Waste really are.
This is also the worst thing this Manga has ever drawn.

Witch Watch: Disappointed the student council president wasn't holding something on his head, like his glasses. Or os that someone else? This chapter was a bit sloppy though, with how some scenes flowed to the next scene.

Doron: Dull.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 18, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly at this point, Earthchild NOT being in the u19 is more an indictment than it just keeling over and submitting to the Will of Gaia will ever be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly at this point, Earthchild NOT being in the u19 is more an indictment than it just keeling over and submitting to the Will of Gaia will ever be.

With one piece and black clover on break theres a lot of dead space in SJ. One piece returns next week, and black clover comes back for the july 31st issue. MHA and Mashle are rapidly heading for an ending too.

Im also going to guess that several comics are going to be retiring at about the same time MHA goes out and well end up with like 3 newcomers. Until then doron, earthchild and aliens area get to play filler.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm still salty about Ayashimon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

Undead: Cool reveal. I expected something like unfair or unoriginal. Can he copy Unruin?

I think he has to know what the power is to copy it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I dropped Aliens Area because it was the blandest thing in bland town.

Doron I’m reading at this point on sheer inertia. It really feels like it’s just waiting to get itself canceled as it’s only 30 chapters in and already getting “big bad attacks the headquarters” which feels like a storyline that would happen way later in a work. It also feels very anti-climatic where the author seeded the “oh someone will be a traitor!” and it’s all “oh yeah it’s this random dude and we dealt with this serious issue in 5 panels, okay back to the plot.

Doron feels like it could have been good but has been constantly pivoting to find something that works and so will please nobody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Meanwhile in Aliens Area: "Equipment 1...and Equipment 2...He's using them together?!" Can anyone remember a shonen manga more generic than Aliens Area? I can think of plenty of worse ones, but not more generic ones.

Alien Arena is the shonen you get when you feed every other shonen to an AI.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The dialog in aliens area is very weird and stilted and I have no idea if that's the idea or if the translator is not very good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Alien Arena is the shonen you get when you feed every other shonen to an AI.

I think the alien thing wouldn't come from an AI, given how almost every sci-fi themed series recently has flopped. It's a human touch to try to stand out. Also, the pacing of the opening is slow. Successful series (and even most failures) tend to have a standalone chapter 2 rather than the structure Alien Area is working with here.

Doron, meanwhile, that feels 100 percent Default Shonen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Did the guy who Yugi set on fire even die, he could have just been horribly maimed

Out of curiosity I looked at the start of that manga, and it's very confusing to me. When it was first created, was the author aware that there was going to be a real life card game? Was it only proposed after a handful of chapters had been out, and then the manga switched to promoting it? It's weird that it starts out with a few chapters that include no card games, and then suddenly a few chapters in it's like "so there's this new card game everyone is talking about."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

With one piece and black clover on break theres a lot of dead space in SJ. One piece returns next week, and black clover comes back for the july 31st issue. MHA and Mashle are rapidly heading for an ending too.

Im also going to guess that several comics are going to be retiring at about the same time MHA goes out and well end up with like 3 newcomers. Until then doron, earthchild and aliens area get to play filler.

2 newcomers, and HxH off hiatus for a few weeks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a new chapter of yomi no tsugai came out today. its pretty brutal lol

https://mangadex.org/chapter/03109d0a-33c6-4165-a57a-502d8445bce6/1

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at the start of that manga, and it's very confusing to me. When it was first created, was the author aware that there was going to be a real life card game? Was it only proposed after a handful of chapters had been out, and then the manga switched to promoting it? It's weird that it starts out with a few chapters that include no card games, and then suddenly a few chapters in it's like "so there's this new card game everyone is talking about."

The card game bit was absolutely not planned, and even when it was first introduced it was just going to be a temporary thing for an arc.

The physical card game came out about a year after Duelist Kingdom started

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 18, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

My man with the beautiful eyelashes rolled up like a goddam 80's slasher.

Glad these guys aren't shy on brutality

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Weird to witness the birth of an iconic gag character

I think Kochikame being the dominant Jump gag series for so long (40 years!) makes it feel even weirder.

Jump went nearly four years without a main gag series, so seeing Roboco go from being a widely dismissed newbie to one of the stars of the magazine is memorable. (Pretty successful batch, too. All four series managed a year or more)

Of course, it stands out all the more because it's the first gag series to get big while having day and date US release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

No, the original premise was literally "King of Games." The young boy had a spirit inside of him who was a master bluffer/gambler/planner/etc and conveniently lived in a setting where the world revolved around it. Then they did an arc with duel monsters but it was a one-off thing until they brought Kaiba back as the main antagonist and then it became a lot more relevant. (Though it should be noted Kaiba didn't run a card game tournament, he locked the cast in a deadly amusement park where he did things like "hired Leatherface to murder the cast" and "Tried to crush them all to death with giant Tetris blocks.") After that the stage was basically set, though the manga kept doing random games until it went Full Card Game All The Time.

As far as we know the plot actually did finish as originally intended, just with a side helping of card games shoved in there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was him being the spirit of Egyptian Pharaoh always there?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was him being the spirit of Egyptian Pharaoh always there?

Yup

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Even after the initial Kaiba stuff you get a bunch of bizarre nonsense. Yo-yo gangs, a brief storyline centered around Rockem Sockem Robots, and Bakura's introduction where they play D&D for 10 chapters. Duelist Kingdom is a pretty clear pivot towards the card game, I'm guessing that Kaiba storylines polled really well. Not sure whether Konami came to license the card game came before or after that shift though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jose posted:

"Who shot that arrow?"

I love this anachronistic mountain hick. Characters in this manga are really shaping up, particularly the relationship between the brother and sister.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

Even after the initial Kaiba stuff you get a bunch of bizarre nonsense. Yo-yo gangs, a brief storyline centered around Rockem Sockem Robots, and Bakura's introduction where they play D&D for 10 chapters. Duelist Kingdom is a pretty clear pivot towards the card game, I'm guessing that Kaiba storylines polled really well. Not sure whether Konami came to license the card game came before or after that shift though.

I mean I can't blame Kaiba for polling well. Kaiba is a near pitch perfect antagonist/rival character. I"m rereading it right now it's amazing how from Death T onward he is just the most extra motherfucker on the entire planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: One thing I've noticed from this chapter and the previous is that Issho's praise actually hits hard; both Karashi, despite his outward contempt for the old guard, and Hikaru, who immediately starts picking on the flaws of her performance afterwards, are immensely pleased by his critique of them (though Karashi is too tsun to admit it). Which really brings up how sincere he's being, which has been the main question since the start of the finals, where Kaisei watches him deliver faint critique and thinks that the actual Issho is nothing like that when he's really teaching someone.

One thing that gets brought up during the Kyoji arc is that rakugo practitioners need to understand what their audience wants, and it gets brought up here repeatedly by Karashi, who has a lot of insight into the human mind. Like, he's pretty accurate in his opinion that his and Hikaru's performances sort of created a 'peak' in the tournament and now the audience isn't really interested in Akane's act anymore (you see people headin' to the bathroom and a bunch of empty seats). So I wonder if Issho's praise to Karashi and Hikaru in particular are geared towards giving them the acknowledgement they desire (it really hits home for Akane cause he specifically praises her skill). As a guy who's in the top of his field, and as someone who's presumably seen and judged countless rakugo performances, Issho is probably perfectly-geared to get into the mind of up-and-coming rakugo practitioners.

Certainly, Issho's critique of Karashi and Hikaru feel a lot more genuine than the one he gave to the guy before Karashi, which is just generic and the guy receiving it is just antsy and uncertain. And with Karashi he straight up tells the dude that the act didn't really work on him, while also praising his ability to deliver what the crowd wanted. But even then, the question remains as to whether he's sincere in his praise and expectations for them, or if he just tells them what they want to hear because he recognizes they have their uses in keeping rakugo alive, even if he doesn't care for their styles of rakugo in particular.

The story that Hikaru tells is the same story that Shinta performed and got expelled for, and what I found interesting in Issho's critique of it was about how he feels like students/amateurs shouldn't perform it because of the skill and experience it requires to properly play out the parts of both the husband and wife. But that's exactly what Shinta did - the story of the fishmonger who was unable to properly provide for his family, and the wife who supported him through it all resonated with his own experiences, and brought life to his act. And Issho expelled him for that act and rejected the very worthiness of it as a rakugo story.

It's also very heartwarming to see Koguma's budding brother-sister relationship with Akane; in Kyoji's case, it's more a case of him passing down the selfless devotion and care that he received from Shiguma onto Akane in a virtuous cycle as her school brother, but with Koguma it's a lot more personal given how he's still pretty cut up about Shinta's expulsion to this day. It does make sense that Akane would have been able to come to terms with it more easily then Koguma - Koguma presumably lost all contact with Shinta after his expulsion, whereas Akane still lives with her father and presumably still has a good relationship with him. Both Kyoji and Koguma are good peeps, and I look forward to seeing the narcissist interact with Akane too.

Akane mentioning that she went to see Issho's rakugo before asking Shiguma to formally accept her as an apprentice is probably what takes in-between chapters 1 and 2 (we see her outside a venue for Issho's solo performance at the end of chapter 1). I like that her motivation for the time being isn't just "get revenge on the guy that hurt my dad" but more like, "I need answers so I can move on for good and start taking steps for the future." Akane's just a really strong person and a wonderful character.

Also holy poo poo how is this manga so good at cliffhangers that leave you wanting for more? The author knows exactly where to stop the chapter to agonize you with curiosity and expectations and questions. It's so good.

Akane-banashi is so loving good.

Elusive Samurai: One thing I'll always appreciate in the manga is that Sadamune continues to be a major threat instead of being treated as a one-off villain, cause it fleshes him out a lot and also forms a grudging acknowledgement between him and Tokiyuki. Like, he's probably been more present in Tokiyuki's life than Tokiyuki's own father, and he's mainly just been trying to kill/capture Tokiyuki for 2 years running. Tokiyuki wins not by beating Sadamune at his own game, but by using his knowledge of Sadamune's skills and tactics against hi,. Nice callback to their first ever battle, too. Really nice stuff.

Mashle: Man those bugs were creepy.

Roboco and Me: Honestly I got really confused at the end there because I couldn't tell the mini Roboco and the mini-Roboco apart.

Sakamoto Days: I fuckin' love Osaragi's process of thought and how straightforward it is, like her immediately assuming that she's the old man equivalent in the occasion. I also really dig the framing in the part where they're talking about Shishiba's relationship to the Ex-Order dude; when Nagumo's asking if he was like a senpai to him, you see some older dude leading a toast or whatever at a company drinking party (I assume it is one by the necktie on his head), and then when Osaragi asks if they were friends, the backdrop is a bunch of friends having drinks together. It feels deliberate and I dig it.