Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Marri/status/1538896871208411136?s=20&t=PI1HdM0rB2NIlb_uqKDq3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wouldn't all the triangular sails before the foremast be jibs?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, it's an odd image. I believe that all jibs are a type of staysail, the term being used as you said to denote the stays that are before the foremast.

Saying that, I've also heard that to differentiate between the multitude of sails before the foremast, the outer sails would be referred to as jibs, and the inner sails as stays.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"Stun sails" for when you just need to incapacitate the enemy.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

I think in this era it's typical to refer to the innermost two as the fore staysail (on the forestay) and foretopmast staysail (on the foretopmast stay).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love studding sails, or stun'sl's. For when the ship needs to go full fabulous.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm nearly done with Reverse of the Medal. It's convinced me that I need to read a good biography of Thomas Cochrane because it looks like the upcoming books in the series are going to take a dramatically different course. Can anyone recommend a good biography of him?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm nearly done with Reverse of the Medal. It's convinced me that I need to read a good biography of Thomas Cochrane because it looks like the upcoming books in the series are going to take a dramatically different course. Can anyone recommend a good biography of him?

I remember enjoying this one when I read it long ago https://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Master-Commander-David-Cordingly-ebook/dp/B00422LERA

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

MeatwadIsGod posted:

His autobiography is not bad, if you skim the stock exchange bits. He was still very touchy about that when he wrote his book.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thanks guys. I'll check those out.

In other news, I made everlasting syllabub using the Tasting History recipe because there's been a heat wave here lately, and that stuff is fantastic. Put a couple spoonfuls in a bowl of fresh fruit and it's S-tier.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't necessarily have to be a Patrick O'Brian novel but are there any good books in the series or eslwehre that go into the relationship between a ship's crew and their marine detachment? Would the marines be segregated from the crewmen along the same lines as the officers?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arc Hammer posted:

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Patrick O'Brian novel but are there any good books in the series or eslwehre that go into the relationship between a ship's crew and their marine detachment? Would the marines be segregated from the crewmen along the same lines as the officers?
I don’t have a book recommendation, but yes, there were definite efforts made to make sure the marines weren’t too close to the crew. Among their many other jobs, probably the most important was mutiny insurance. They were the only enlisted men regularly armed on the ship, and were important for maintaining discipline among the crew. They had their own officers/NCOs, and while they did work alongside the seamen when extra hands were required for heavy labour like weighing anchor, they could not be be ordered to climb into the rigging. The marines also usually berthed closest to the officers’ quarters as a physical barrier to any seamen with mutinous ideas. The marines were assigned to gun crews and would drill with seamen then, but they were also the first to be called away to repel boarders so I’m not sure how integral they were to the gun crews.

E: One of the books (or several) definitely has a scene where the marines are drawn up on deck in a show of force against a potentially mutinous crew, and I think there are suspicions about how loyal the marines will be if it means firing on the crew, but I can’t remember which book it is.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 12, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Leopard

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

On my first read-through (across many years, I like to ration them) and just finished 19, The Hundred Days. Without spoiling too much for what remains, can anyone illuminate me on:

Wtf is with the left-field, quickly dismissed deaths of Diana and Bonden? O'Brian is not, on the whole, an author I consider to embrace the nihilistic nature of the universe even if the nature of war lends itself to that (unlike eg Larry McMurtry). I can't think of a previous situation in which a critical character has been so randomly killed; Bonden's death is treated as though he was some random nice fella who'd just been introduced that book, and while more shrift is given to Diana, we really don't delve into Stephen's grief much - we honestly see far more of it during their on again/off again relationship and his consistent heartbreak across books 2 through 15 or so.

Did O'Brian lose his wife at the time, or something like that? Was he getting bored of the series? I honestly don't know what to make of it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

freebooter posted:

On my first read-through (across many years, I like to ration them) and just finished 19, The Hundred Days. Without spoiling too much for what remains, can anyone illuminate me on:

Did O'Brian lose his wife at the time, or something like that?

IIRC that's exactly what happened. And yes, it's a very weird thing, not just that it happens but how little anyone seems to care.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

freebooter posted:

Did O'Brian lose his wife at the time.

Yeah

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The Diana thing was handled very weirdly in general. We heard about it through ships gossip, and then Stephen seems to be cured by his grief from throwing himself into his work. I guess this makes sense if Maturin is a stand in for O’Brian, since I suspect he used this book as his own way with processing his wife’s passing. Still, I wish more was said about a character that had so much influence over previous storylines. He also writes Martin off quickly as well, which I felt was odd at my first read through since he was a fairly important character during his arcs.

Thinking on it some more, I believe that I prefer the first half of the series to the latter half. It feels like the quality in general starts to ebb around Wine Dark Sea. It doesn’t help that Patrick Tull’s narration also starts to go south around that time too… but I guess I can’t begrudge him for his age.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 18, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kylaer posted:

IIRC that's exactly what happened. And yes, it's a very weird thing, not just that it happens but how little anyone seems to care.

I think that for both characters mentioned, O'Brian is working at his absolute most extreme subtleness, where the reader is expected to interpret very faint shades of writing to communicate loss. It's interesting to me because of exactly that alignment of timing - I suspect O'Brian was writing from a profound place of loss and both didn't want to dive too deeply and explicitly into writing about that experience, and also probably expecting readers to feel how that loss casts a shadow across everything without directly writing it out, because that's what his experience is.

I don't love the decisions he made, as a reader the things seem abrupt and under-developed, but I think it's an extreme case of some of the things he's done throughout, such as letting the reader realize long before anybody in-text does how badly Stephen is addicted to laudanum.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It's possible, but O'Brian does have a tendency to both create and later resolve major problems for his characters entirely offscreen with no input from the characters themselves. It feels kind of lazy, in that he wants a stumbling block for the sake of the overall plot and later doesn't need it so it gets cleared in the same fashion it was created. Prime example, minor spoilers and can't remember what books these took place in: Aubrey's father mucks around in politics, makes people mad and sabotages Aubrey's career. Later he dies and without his ongoing political meddling, Aubrey's career can advance again. I get that it's realistic that characters are subject to things happening outside of their control, but it still feels lazy.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Is there any sign that anyone feels anything about the death of Bonden?

I suppose I could rationalize it as: Bonden, being crew, is on the other side of the wall from Jack (and Stephen, by association). Sometimes crewmen die and you just move on. By the time Bonden dies, Jack has seen a LOT of death, and us readers too have seen quite a few characters introduced in one book who get splattered the next, in breathtakingly perfunctory ways, disappearing without a ripple. So what we are seeing as readers is a kind of hard-heartedness of the Royal Navy.

I might also argue that the books are basically Stephen's, and Stephen loves exactly two people: Diane and Jack. Bonden is not really anybody to Stephen. Diane is, but by the time she dies Stephen has been so harrowed by her, and his love for her, that his feelings are very mixed, with lots of love but lots of suffering, and what follows is numbness. Whatever remains is drowned in gentlemanly silence.

These are aside from, POB just couldn't / didn't want to write it, which is worth consideration too.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

There's at least one moment where Jack is about to reflexively call out to Bonden about prepping his gig, or have him demonstrate something to the youngsters, or something routine like that, and he has to stop himself. There's no pronounced sadness or expressed grief, just the (implied repeated) recognition that a person he liked, respected, and took for granted is gone. Days like normal, punctuated in mundane moments by "oh, right, he's dead ." I agree it's intentional, it leaves you feeling hollow and just sort of stunned. You can't assimilate it even though you know it's a fact. I think the same is true for the characters, they're mostly just in shock and haven't started to process the loss.

I fortunately can't speak from much personal experience, but that initial (non)reaction to the death of somebody close is pretty frequent in e/n, at least.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just watched "The Sea Beast", which apparently used a lot of the same production crew as the Master and Commander movie. The weather gauge and crossing the T are mentioned, and a suspiciously Jack like main character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAMcd1kcTQ

yaffle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 21, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One of my great regrets is that they never made more Aubrey-Maturin movies. Hopefully one day they give the series the prestige streaming treatment it deserves.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sax Solo posted:

Is there any sign that anyone feels anything about the death of Bonden?

I suppose I could rationalize it as: Bonden, being crew, is on the other side of the wall from Jack (and Stephen, by association). Sometimes crewmen die and you just move on. By the time Bonden dies, Jack has seen a LOT of death, and us readers too have seen quite a few characters introduced in one book who get splattered the next, in breathtakingly perfunctory ways, disappearing without a ripple. So what we are seeing as readers is a kind of hard-heartedness of the Royal Navy.

I might also argue that the books are basically Stephen's, and Stephen loves exactly two people: Diane and Jack. Bonden is not really anybody to Stephen. Diane is, but by the time she dies Stephen has been so harrowed by her, and his love for her, that his feelings are very mixed, with lots of love but lots of suffering, and what follows is numbness. Whatever remains is drowned in gentlemanly silence.

These are aside from, POB just couldn't / didn't want to write it, which is worth consideration too.

It makes me wonder why he killed Bonden off at all. I suppose there's a poignancy to being killed in what would be one of the very last actions of the war, but nobody seems to dwell on that.

Obviously the series was cut off by O'Brien's own death, but it does leave it in a rather awkward position - 19 books of Napoleonic action and then one and a half in Chile or whatever it is. Given that he pumped them out at a solid rate of one per year it makes you wonder how far he intended to take them, especially since he only ended 1812b and restored them to ordinary time in book 18.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

yaffle posted:

Just watched "The Sea Beast", which apparently used a lot of the same production crew as the Master and Commander movie. The weather gauge and crossing the T are mentioned, and a suspiciously Jack like main character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAMcd1kcTQ

Where did you hear that about the production crew? Animated and live action films don't have much crossover in crew terms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think he did exactly what he planned: keep writing adventures until he died

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

This.

Put me down as really liking the way Bonden's death is handled. I remember at least 2 bits where Jack reflects on Bonden, thinking that he had lost many shipmates 'but never a one to touch him for true worth'. I think that is a good way to depict the sudden, unexpected death of a constant companion of so many years, but still with the professional armour of rank and the job in hand.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

a lovely king posted:

Where did you hear that about the production crew? Animated and live action films don't have much crossover in crew terms.

Not so much the whole crew, but the same <industry term for people who advise films on historical accuracy and detail>. I am in a Facebook group and one of the guys who does that work posted about it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

yaffle posted:

Not so much the whole crew, but the same <industry term for people who advise films on historical accuracy and detail>. I am in a Facebook group and one of the guys who does that work posted about it.

Then they should have advised against "crossing the T" :v:

It was a fun movie though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Genghis Cohen posted:

This.

Put me down as really liking the way Bonden's death is handled. I remember at least 2 bits where Jack reflects on Bonden, thinking that he had lost many shipmates 'but never a one to touch him for true worth'. I think that is a good way to depict the sudden, unexpected death of a constant companion of so many years, but still with the professional armour of rank and the job in hand.

Same. They were men of war; it went without saying many of them would not survive. No one wonders at Jack's and Maturin's many near miraculous escapes from death, tale after bloody tale.

Thank God they haven't made a movie version of that particular novel with that damnable hobbit dying in it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The Lord Bude posted:

One of my great regrets is that they never made more Aubrey-Maturin movies. Hopefully one day they give the series the prestige streaming treatment it deserves.

There was a story about a year ago about making a prequel movie but who knows if it will actually go into production: https://deadline.com/2021/06/20th-century-master-and-commander-patrick-ness-1234769535/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Same. They were men of war; it went without saying many of them would not survive. No one wonders at Jack's and Maturin's many near miraculous escapes from death, tale after bloody tale.

Thank God they haven't made a movie version of that particular novel with that damnable hobbit dying in it.

Jack has seen an unusual amount of action and it's remarked on quite a bit!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

PlushCow posted:

There was a story about a year ago about making a prequel movie but who knows if it will actually go into production: https://deadline.com/2021/06/20th-century-master-and-commander-patrick-ness-1234769535/

I don't know how you'd recreate the chemistry Crowe and Bettany had with other actors. It just wouldn't be the same.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's as close as can be to a perfect film without making Acheron a proper Yankee ship. I'd love to see another one but the film stands on its own.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
bettany was too good looking and too tall to play Maturin

one flaw in an otherwise perfect film

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

bettany was too good looking and too tall to play Maturin

one flaw in an otherwise perfect film

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to call that a flaw :swoon:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arglebargle III posted:

Jack has seen an unusual amount of action and it's remarked on quite a bit!

Not what I meant, but by now I've forgotten what I was on about. Shall we try that Monteverdi sonata and some of this claret?

"Killick, drat your eyes!"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

For sure but it's weird the death happened almost but not quite at the end of the Napoleonic wars

Genghis Cohen posted:

This.

I'm glad it apparently crops up in the next (last!) book, however subtly; in The Hundred Days it's barely mentioned apart from the event itself

PlushCow posted:

20 years was a long time ago and the age of good films is over. My dream is now for an HBO series with a few books per season and a Game of Thrones level budget. Which I actually think would be a goer, if not for the fact that producers would immediately blanche at the notion of period-drama on-water filming and all the hassles and dramas involved in that.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

freebooter posted:

20 years was a long time ago and the age of good films is over. My dream is now for an HBO series with a few books per season and a Game of Thrones level budget. Which I actually think would be a goer, if not for the fact that producers would immediately blanche at the notion of period-drama on-water filming and all the hassles and dramas involved in that.

The obvious answer to the difficulties of filming is to adapt the series as an anime :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make it an anime so Stephen has unrequited feelings for Jack, it's not like I like you or anything, Aubry-san.