Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just fear what the Internet Devil would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

I thought at that time Pochita was causing a ruckus in Hell until he had to flee from the Four Horsemen and hide out with Denji

In chapter one where he appears in front of Denji he has bullet wounds

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

In chapter one where he appears in front of Denji he has bullet wounds

The fight with the Four Horsemen would also seem to be much longer ago, although with the ways Chainsaw messes with the timeline that's not guaranteed. The weapons were there, after all, and Quanxi got crossbow decades ago at the most recent, and probably centuries back judging from her nickname.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ImpAtom posted:

Stop!! You're just making it stronger!!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The heights devil would truly be a powerful devil too.

Oh god there is probably a devil devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I still think that’s the one Makima called on to squash those gangsters

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I still think that’s the one Makima called on to squash those gangsters

No, that was probably punishment, the one Tendo and Kurose made a contract with. They seemed to recognize something special about that incident, and Makima using their contract fits with that.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

It would pale in comparison to the Speaking in Public Devil, now that's a final boss if I've ever seen one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

It would pale in comparison to the Speaking in Public Devil, now that's a final boss if I've ever seen one.

That's when we get Power back.

Her unshakable and completely irrational self-confidence makes her immune to its powers...

...I mean, she isn't afraid of public speaking because she's the best public speaker ever.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Oh god there is probably a devil devil

and then also a Devil Devil Devil, and a Devil Devil Devil Devil, repeat for eternity

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finished a re-read of the whole series yesterday and today. Still as great as it was the first time, and having the benefit of official TL meant there was consistent terminology and stuff the whole ride. (I remember "fiend" being TLd as like 4 diff things as scans pingponged between groups haha)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
living in constant fear of the sugma devil

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Big Leg posted:

living in constant fear of the sugma devil

What's a devil?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

What's a devil?

Tell me. Do you remember... Updog?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/KFC_ES/status/1549701666873778177

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I'd think strong contenders for primal devils would be things like Loss, Cold, Hunger, Pain...but there are really an endless number of potential concepts to choose from. Abandonment? Old Age? Excited to see where it goes!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i wanna see the taco demon

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Social Media Devil.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Person Dyslexic posted:

I'd think strong contenders for primal devils would be things like Loss

Devil in the shape of a 4-panel internet webcomic that isn't funny

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Devil in the shape of a 4-panel internet webcomic that isn't funny

Contracts are often harder on the hunter.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Person Dyslexic posted:

I'd think strong contenders for primal devils would be things like Loss, Cold, Hunger, Pain...but there are really an endless number of potential concepts to choose from. Abandonment? Old Age? Excited to see where it goes!

The Talking To Girls Devil

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bad Seafood posted:

The Social Media Devil.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The bad joke devil kills at open mics

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

https://twitter.com/ThiccRadChad/status/1546615314997280769?s=20&t=ecUI_ZgEq-iXJ1DYB1Is5w

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6QlmqBPlM

Playable here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite bits from the first part is right after that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Goddamn this song rules

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I am told that this is fanart, but I will spoil it just in case.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nairdaGS/status/1549517469429252096

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Based on what has been shown, I assume it's the kind of devil that accumulates power the more it touches living things and convert them into weapons, and eventually the final fight will just be the War Devil dumping loads of weaponry until Denji will vomit up certain fears that let it convert living things into more nukes or other weapons of mass destruction.

So far, I am 100% on predicting or identifying the theme or character intents of the manga. I hope I can keep this streak going.

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah my first thought was the similarity between the powers working on "things I own" and "people who I'm superior to". My first instinct was she should try to become head of the devil hunter club, but gently caress that, student council president election arc, Denji is hosed then, right?

Given what happened in part 1, ownership seems to be a vague yet all-encompassing concept for context of devil contracts and devil powers. Based on the events of part 1, being elected or hired into a leadership position gives you ownership, and being incarnated forfeits your ownership to the leader(s) of the state. Seems like the mangaka wants us to think carefully about what "owns" us and what we "give up" with our everyday interactions or inactions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chiasaur11 posted:

No, that was probably punishment, the one Tendo and Kurose made a contract with. They seemed to recognize something special about that incident, and Makima using their contract fits with that.

This also fits with how she used death row inmates for it. Maybe it’s something like transferring their punishment to someone else?(though the inmates still died too)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It's pretty odd they have a school club focused on an occupation that's basically suicide. Then again bringing the chicken devil to school was no big deal either. Maybe society is much less risk averse when some big shot devil could decimate your city at any time.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

I assume it means people willing/obligated to fight for war or Mitaka. Like a soldier.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lamebot posted:

I assume it means people willing/obligated to fight for war or Mitaka. Like a soldier.

She literally turned people into living weapons in the previous chapter. I really doubt she was speaking figuratively. :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

She literally turned people into living weapons in the previous chapter. I really doubt she was speaking figuratively. :v:

Yeah I think he means what is the rule for who she can turn. So I think in that case anyone obliged to work for her like if she became a CEO would be valid

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'd imagine it's like makima's power in that it comes down to her own perception of what's hers

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Lamebot posted:

It's pretty odd they have a school club focused on an occupation that's basically suicide. Then again bringing the chicken devil to school was no big deal either. Maybe society is much less risk averse when some big shot devil could decimate your city at any time.

Yeah I have to imagine it's because Devils are a real and present threat and a strong devil can kill thousands or millions of people. Probably nobody bats an eye at "hey these kids are running out there and getting shredded by devils" because they might hopefully get a real devil hunter or two out of the club.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Life in CSM universe seems incredibly cheap even if you aren't a devil hunter

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i got the impression that being a private devil hunter is a fairly cushy job and its being in public safety thats suicide

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cuntman.net posted:

i got the impression that being a private devil hunter is a fairly cushy job and its being in public safety thats suicide

The mangaka likes to draw parallels to modern life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Himeno was always trying to get Aki to accept private work for that reason