Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FBS posted:

You're linking to Lego's Australian site there.

Ha, good catch! That would make a ton of sense. The dollar sign really threw me off, didn't even occur to me to check the URL. Dunno why the googler dropped me there :shrug:

I don't know what it says that I just figured the 90$ discrepancy was recent price hikes

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Has anyone messed with Minifigure Factory yet?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/minifigure-factory

The Lego store in Orlando had one of these set up where you could design a fig with some patterns and they'd pop a blank torso into a jig on basically a large inkjet printer. Came out pretty neat! Probably why they're going after the custom minifig sites, cut out the competition.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tarquinn posted:

How some people can call the Atari 2600 ugly is beyond me. It's the best looking classical console by far.

Am I so out of touch? :hmmno:

Yes

boxen posted:

I had zero interest in the Ferrari Technic set, but now I kind of want one just because it seems to be the Dark Souls of Lego.

:same:

And at this point, I think BFAN should just send the kit to me so I can fix it for him.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Captain - with Port Boot and Starboard Boot since otherwise he would get them backwards (like I do):

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Portwine and seagreen is how I remember portside and starboard colors, but I can't remember which is left and right

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
port, left, same number of letters

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

And for the light colours, green and right, same number of letters.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"Red, right, returning."

If you are standing at a port, and the red lantern is on your right, the vessel is returning.

Edit: Lego follows this convention when building the insides of some sets to mark the two sides differently to avoid confusion. I know for certain the large Ecto 1, but there are others.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 20, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Huh. I must have messed up somewhere because in mine the green bit in this picture isn’t allowed to make a full circle, it can only either be in the shown position or in the other lower corner.

I can‘t remember if it was the Porsche or the Chiron (I think it was the Porsche, the Chiron was the first IIRC with the new rotating clutch mover thing), but the setup looks similar. The green piece on the middle should not do a full rotation I assume, but „engage“ either the left or the right yellow piece so it turns a quarter circle (thus moving the orange clutch thingies on position forward and finally back after half a rotation). With the Porsche and/or Chiron, it had a lot of resistance, and I was pretty sure I messed up the transmission, but it basically just needed needed a bit more force to actually move the transmission into next/prev gear.

After couple of shifts, the force needed was lower, maybe some bushings were too tight and the operation added some play to everything. Definitely didn‘t break anything, because I had to rebuild the transmission after hearing about the error in the manual (transmission built after the manual shifts two gears in wrong order…no idea if they fixed it in the manual by now. Lego‘s answer back then was „it‘s supposed to be that way because reasons“). Was an easy fix though (once you got to the transmission from a finished kit, which meant building back 3 steps of four.

Pretty sure it was the Porsche, as I think it was a four speed transmission.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW, can anyone sell me on the Lambo Sian? I built the Porsche and Chiron (after getting both for a heavy discount) and I see the Lambo is getting into similar - or even better - discount range at the moment (best I saw was something like 42% off).

Porsche was something new and cool (not in sense of technic per se, but 1:8 technic supercar). Even built a second one as the McLaren MoC, which has absolutely nuts features (working axle lift etc., can be powered). Chiron mostly sold me because new pieces for transmission and something similar to a W16.

Daytone will get added once discounts happen, because I love the look of it.

The only thing to me currently interesting about the Lambo is the color (would complement the orange, light blue/blue, dark red), and IIRC the first runs had some pretty bad color mismatch problems. Is it interesting enough of a built to get it for something like 40% off? Does it look better in person? (I think the real car is maybe the ugliest Lambo ever…).

I watched two reviews off it, and it doesn‘t seem to have any real highlights?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

The doors and the headlights are pretty cool on the Lamborghini.

The color, however, doesn't match nicely between parts.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What's the feature of the headlights? I assume glow-in-the-dark material?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Has anyone messed with Minifigure Factory yet?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/minifigure-factory

I tried in a LEGO Store. It doesn't seem like something that really transfers well to an online experience.

It seems like more of an in-store thing and a bit touristy (like bending a penny at Mt. Rushmore). The package comes with a 1x4 brick that you print on one side, and then the other side has the name or place of the store. The accessories you could choose were limited.

Its a fun little trinket and comes in a little box.

In Denmark they had another option online where you could test another type of minifiure configurator without the printing. That was also about 12$, but for 3 figures...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Portwine and seagreen is how I remember portside and starboard colors, but I can't remember which is left and right
Starboard and Larboard. Larboard and Left are L.

(Thanks, FFXIV)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

OSU_Matthew posted:

Well, this is interesting... the BMW biek is 320$ from lego, but only 230$ from target?

Maybe one of them is a typo?

FWIW I found the bmw bike for €160 as opposed to €200 Lego‘s asking, and it sells for 140-150 at some retailers now even.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hmm I should see if anyone around here is discounting it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It‘s a really fun build, and might be one of the more complex technic builds from recent years, which imo adds to the fun. Lots of stickers of course, but it‘s pretty impressive how much Lego managed to pack into the narrow frame in regard to functions (engine, transmission, drivetrain etc.)

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Carbohydrates posted:

Summer 2022 is, so far, the season of disappointing followups to cool series of sets I have enjoyed.

1) 40521: Mini Disney The Haunted Mansion, successor to 40478: Mini Disney Castle. Despite somehow having 113 more pieces, the model is smaller and less impressive. It also has stickers, instead of 40521's exclusively printed pieces, and features much more simplistic geometry and technique compared to the Castle's interesting angles and depth. It also costs more, but I guess I won't bring up relative pricing again because everything costs more now. Even if they were priced the same, this would be a disappointing followup.

I still don’t believe the mini castle set actually exists. I’ve never seen it in stock either online or at a Lego store, or even B&N or Target.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't think there's any console cool looking enough that I want one that doesn't play games.

Well, maybe the gamecube.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

tuo posted:

What's the feature of the headlights? I assume glow-in-the-dark material?

No, it's just how to build the system 3D structure to get the pyramid shape. I thought it was pretty neat how it came together.

There are no actual lights in it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OperaMouse posted:

No, it's just how to build the system 3D structure to get the pyramid shape. I thought it was pretty neat how it came together.

It stuck out to me as one of the most complex/interesting sub assemblies I’ve ever done.

The doors are good too.

But the real reason I have the Lambo is because I have all the other ones so I can’t not have it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I don't think there's any console cool looking enough that I want one that doesn't play games.

Well, maybe the gamecube.

lol I was gonna say probably the only other legoized console I think I might want is the gamecube. (but even then that's kind of just a cube with a handle) Maybe one of the Nintendo hand-helds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If lego started including raspberry pi (or equivalent) bricks that actually emulate some of the games that old consoles could play they'd have a cool gimmick going by stuffing it in a replica console.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OperaMouse posted:

Wait, they didn‘t even use the glow-in-the-dark ABS from the ghost and which was used in the….the…that one theme I just can‘t remember the name (IIRC had an app that did some AR stuff). I thought I red somewhere they did.

No Lambo for me, it seems.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

If lego started including raspberry pi (or equivalent) bricks that actually emulate some of the games that old consoles could play they'd have a cool gimmick going by stuffing it in a replica console.

That would have actually been a cool and good thing with the Atari. While I have no idea what Mindstorms was technically based on, if they were able to pull that off (paired with a visual IDE for kids), they could have pulled it off for the Atari. But it would have needed a further use, and I can only assume the games might be in some copyright hell? No idea.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’ve got one of those Atari all-in-one retro consoles, wonder if I can pull the board and fit it inside the Lego set.

Think it is something like this one https://a.co/d/1kuppmW

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I appreciate on the Atari set that the little minifigure playing it in the 80s has a very stereotypical wood-paneled room. Peak 80s there.

And say what you will about LEGO, they know their target audience very well:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess that settles if that prong piece they put on the front of a ship is a gun or not.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

^ :golfclap:

New smaller Avatar sets just got revealed with much more reasonable price points. They seem pretty decent to me, with the brickheadz being impressively disturbing. I can't rehost the pictures at the moment so this will have to do.
https://brickset.com/article/79587/four-avatar-sets-revealed-ahead-of-sdcc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO 2022: I have all the other ones so I can’t not have it

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My god, Lego has X boxes per year to spend on new elements and they keep wasting them on hideous one-use moulded heads

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm sorry sport, but we just can't afford to print key pieces on your hundreds of dollars exclusive set, we've just gotta make room for all these blue horses and extra long arms.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm sure that I am misremembering something but right now Avatar is the least interesting theme they have done in a long time for me.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm sure that I am misremembering something but right now Avatar is the least interesting theme they have done in a long time for me.

Very true to the movie, then.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are all those Avatar sets from the first movie? It's been ages since I last saw it and the boxes are branded 'Avatar,' not 'Avatar 2,' or whatever the sequel will be called.

Edit: I'm not interested in the sets either, maybe I will be if I see the movie and like it though. The dragons are kinda neat.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes that's all first movie stuff, the second is about going to the beach

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm sorry sport, but we just can't afford to print key pieces on your hundreds of dollars exclusive set, we've just gotta make room for all these blue horses and extra long arms.

Lmao that they went to the trouble of bringing the long legs back but just made them completely plain without any decals whatsoever.

These sets look extremely 2009, which is oddly fitting.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Avatar is at very least better than the repulsive Minions theme. The plant parts are the only thing that really draws my attention, maybe in a year or so heavily damaged boxes will be up on ebay going for at least 30% off. Though after a closer look it doesn't seem like many, if any, of the pieces that I want are actually new so I guess I'll probably bricklink some individually instead. The sets seem pretty decent for kids and people who enjoy exceptionally mediocre cgi-fests.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, prophet of nixon really took it to the next level with that 11017 build

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am 8 bags into the Saturn V: This is a very fun and good build and ho boy is there a lot of pices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

tuo posted:

Wait, they didn‘t even use the glow-in-the-dark ABS from the ghost and which was used in the….the…that one theme I just can‘t remember the name (IIRC had an app that did some AR stuff). I thought I red somewhere they did.

No Lambo for me, it seems.

Hidden Side