Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rigel posted:

Just gonna throw out what seems to be the obvious, to me but maybe it isn't. I know it will take a while through training, logistics, etc. But if Ukraine eventually got their own fleet of modern NATO fighter jets later this year, isn't that kind of..... game over for Russia's "special operation"? I keep hearing about how bad Russia's air defense is, and we obviously have all the munitions they could ever need for those jets. If Ukraine gained air superiority, wouldn't Russia be completely hosed at that point?

This is really speculative. How many planes are we talking about? You've got to think of the logistics of keeping all those planes flying..it's not just giving aircraft. So yes they may be able to do a spectacular sortie.

Russia has to be pushed back gradually. It's probably not going to end in a huge encirclement as Russia has a pretty nice highway like territorial zone. Unless Ukraine plans to liberate Mariupol and split the front in half it's just not going to happen.

Russia's territorial zone will recede like water in low tide.

And Ukraine will bend like a reed in the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is really speculative. How many planes are we talking about? You've got to think of the logistics of keeping all those planes flying..it's not just giving aircraft. So yes they may be able to do a spectacular sortie.

Russia has to be pushed back gradually. It's probably not going to end in a huge encirclement as Russia has a pretty nice highway like territorial zone. Unless Ukraine plans to liberate Mariupol and split the front in half it's just not going to happen.

Russia's territorial zone will recede like water in low tide.

And Ukraine will bend like a reed in the wind.

well, since the US is making the commitment to train a lot of pilots, I am assuming the plan would be a large number of jets that they could maintain and use

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

good news, but i understand ukraine's hesitancy. attempting a land at odessa through the safe passage seems impossible given ukraine's new anti-ship missiles and russia diminished operational capacity, but russia's conduct over the last year has trained me to assume there's some nefarious purpose behind their every single action

This could literally be it. Russians failed to establish a blocade so they spin it as a "gesture of good will". Same as when they were forced out of Kiyv outskirts and Snake island.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rigel posted:

Just gonna throw out what seems to be the obvious, to me but maybe it isn't. I know it will take a while through training, logistics, etc. But if Ukraine eventually got their own fleet of modern NATO fighter jets later this year, isn't that kind of..... game over for Russia's "special operation"? I keep hearing about how bad Russia's air defense is, and we obviously have all the munitions they could ever need for those jets. If Ukraine gained air superiority, wouldn't Russia be completely hosed at that point?

If Ukraine gains air superiority and can maintain it then yeah its pretty much game over. Russia is not going to be able to run the amount of troops it needs to places if they are getting the absolute poo poo bombed out of them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Regarding airplanes, the senate would have to also pass the legislation or some form of reconciliation bill. Right now, only the house has approved funding for pilot and maintainer training.

Ukraine’s Air Force spokesperson has said that while they have English speaking pilots, they would expect transition training to take six months.

https://www.airforcemag.com/as-ukrainian-pilot-training-passes-house-ndaa-legislators-work-to-overcome-roadblocks/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Now can we talk about giving Longbow Apaches to Ukraine? A few squads of those, ripple-fire radar Hellfires in LOAL mode from a safe cover position, war's over in a week. Just like Longbow 2.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Telsa Cola posted:

I really don't understand how this argument is going on as long as it has been given that we have many many concrete examples of how hosed the air environment is in Ukraine for low and slow aircraft.

To the A-10's credit, if any fighting force could surprise us by letting a wholly obsolete aircraft gently caress them up SOMEHOW, russia is on scene to play the role

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think you mean F-16XL

No...maybe...yes. Look, everyone makes typos. Just look at what could have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecM1-ISNeHE

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol

Though an A-10 did score an air to air kill on a helicopter.

I mean the A-1 Skyraider had two air-to-air kills on jets but I don't think it would get the job done in Ukraine, either.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Polish MOD confirms more weapon contracts either signed or in final negotiation stages for Poland, including:

- 48x FA-50 jets
- 180 K2 tanks (to be completed in Poland)
- 250 new Abrams
- 116 used Abrams (I think these are already coming in)

The T-72 fleet is not going to be maintained, mainly due to parts sourcing issues.

Poland is also finalizing the development and initial order of Ottokar Brzoza, a self-propelled, Brimstone-ready light AT platform.

https://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadom...750&s=BoxOpLink

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
This could be the kremlin. Think about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlClqbQStw&t=284s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fellas, I think aircraft power levels theorycrafting derail has had a good run.

Kraftwerk posted:

Any hope that Ukraine gets territory back soon? There’s more and more associated press and Reuters articles making the rounds saying Ukraine likely won’t get all its territory back. Which means despite the serious costs and heavy fighting they still managed to cut another piece off Ukraine and come back later to try it again.

I don't think this thread can say anything to placate your doomerism. Hope is always there, but we can only wait and see with what will actually happen.

Rigel posted:

I feel that “bad Russian air-defence” stories are mostly a carry-over anecdote from them failing to do DEAD/SEAD/BBQ/other important American acronyms at the start of this to actually kill off the Ukrainian air force. When properly concentrated, like they are now in the very short areas of active frontline, they force Ukrainian air force to do the same things as the Russian does, using aircraft as Grads and whatnot. The only things they may not have a good answer for is drones that can fit in a backpack, dropping grenades with 3D-printed fins on top of things, and GMLRS rockets.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 22, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBVc2cSFeI

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Some people twittering about this.
https://twitter.com/lilygrutcher/status/1550437897022701568?s=20&t=ydw6xRE64Hq8-wjq6CkdQQ

Probably a wild overestimation or exagerration. I can't fathom any reason why there would be anywhere close to 2k soldiers hanging out there even knowing what we know of the Russian army. In any case good news even if it is just 50.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Probably a wild overestimation or exagerration. I can't fathom any reason why there would be anywhere close to 2k soldiers hanging out there even knowing what we know of the Russian army. In any case good news even if it is just 50.

Nope, just OSINT twitters overexcited to get the scoop on something.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1550436798475665409?s=20&t=Ow7rchmN18dXfEpl30-Qrw

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If DCS taught me anything, it's that if you give F-15s and AMRAAMs to enough 12-15 y.o. then the red pilots will all end up ragequitting to another map.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kchama posted:

It would do about as well as the SU-25 does in Ukraine, which is not amazing. The very specific close air support role supposes a completely safe environment, which doesn't exist in Ukraine. And again would mostly be used to sling long-range rockets at enemies, and not in an actual "brrrt" CAS role. You seem to be lasered in on it brrrting things but it is not going to. CAS planes are not used like that in Ukraine because it'd be suicidal. There's no long line of soldiers or lightly armored vehicles completely unprotected from planes just hanging out in the open. Like as a suggestion to replace SU-25 losses? It works there. But the gun isn't going to be seeing much practical use.

Believe it or not, the A-10 was not designed to operate in a “completely safe” environment. It was designed for a peer conflict between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in the 1980s.

Operationally it was hoped NATO could achieve air superiority, but not air supremacy; and it was assumed the Warsaw Pact forces would have MANPADs.

It has only ever been used in a complete air supremacy environment.

What is more, you’re right… it is probably as survivable in Ukraine as the Su-25; however, the A-10 is orders of magnitude more capable of an aircraft when it comes to the type, intensity, and duration of close air support it can provide.

All of which is completely besides the point, because unlike the F-16 and F-15, as far as I know there are zero Ukrainian Air Force pilots semi-familiar with the air frame, which means a year of training at least if the Ukrainians actually wanted to use them… a thought I find very dubious.

Ps. I cannot believe I a defending the A-10; and I am not really, I am just saying that they would on paper improvements over the Su-25.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Allegedly an intercepted communication between a russian soldier and a relative back home:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/losing-moscow-never-admit-russian-134635479.html

quote:

“We’re losing now,” the purported soldier says, prompting an indignant response from his female relative, who replies, “Well it’s you guys who are losing there, but they are winning everywhere [else].”

“That’s the picture they paint for you on television, but in reality it’s drastically different here,” he says. “They will never show you this on television, they will never tell you the truth. We’re losing.”

[...]

“We should have about 90 tanks left, and you know how many we have left? We have probably 14 tanks left,” the man says.

“You don’t have artillery?”

“We do, but it’s so curved you can measure the [target] misses in kilometers,” he says, adding that “Everything’s sad.”

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there something I've missed that's changed about the potential for planes being sent to Ukraine? I was under the impression that was off the table so I'm reading the news of Ukrainian pilots being trained in the US as preparing to switch them over to NATO kit as quickly as possible after the fighting ends rather than something that's going to affect the outcome of this round of conflict.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It’s so curved that everything’s sad.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think that's Croatia's motto

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://mobile.twitter.com/babaikit/status/1550467802028441601

Russian convoy destroyed near lysychanak.

Not sure of displacement yet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Is there something I've missed that's changed about the potential for planes being sent to Ukraine? I was under the impression that was off the table so I'm reading the news of Ukrainian pilots being trained in the US as preparing to switch them over to NATO kit as quickly as possible after the fighting ends rather than something that's going to affect the outcome of this round of conflict.

Fundamentally, no. It's a current topic because the House appropriation bill contained $100M for training Ukrainians on American aircraft, and the DoD has been openly talking about transferring American planes to Ukraine.

Exactly what systems and in what quantity and on what time scale is completely left out.

I would think that next year at the earliest to get American hardware in situ. If the war is still going by then, they might be useful. It's a long-term issue regardless.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ukraine and Russia have lost nearly comparable amounts of aircraft, with the advantage going slightly to Russia despite them having vastly more craft total. And as mentioned, ukrainian pilots are yeeting like airborne grads. Where is the idea that Russia has no air defense coming from?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ukraine and Russia have lost nearly comparable amounts of aircraft, with the advantage going slightly to Russia despite them having vastly more craft total. And as mentioned, ukrainian pilots are yeeting like airborne grads. Where is the idea that Russia has no air defense coming from?

This. It still exists, and it would absolutely maul A-10s.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FishMcCool posted:

Allegedly an intercepted communication between a russian soldier and a relative back home:

Interesting. We focus on ammo for the insane artillery barrages that Russia's been doing, but when you're shoving shell after shell through them you also need barrels for just that reason (well, that and avoiding catastrophic failure=boom). Sounds like their spare parts are also getting heavily interdicted or running out; I wonder if we have stats for their stockpiles.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FishMcCool posted:

Can you fire enough ammunition to make barrel droop permanent? US tanks have a mechanism for handling even very extreme barrel droop, which becomes an issue with long-range shots after putting a few rounds through the barrel within a few minutes of each other. Even if the droop is permanent, I'd assume that Russian artillery would have the means to account for it. Is this just not the case?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

Can you fire enough ammunition to make barrel droop permanent? US tanks have a mechanism for handling even very extreme barrel droop, which becomes an issue with long-range shots after putting a few rounds through the barrel within a few minutes of each other. Even if the droop is permanent, I'd assume that Russian artillery would have the means to account for it. Is this just not the case?

I might be misremembering but russian doctrine was to do field repair only for very basic stuff and just receive full unit replacement while the weared out units were shipped for refurbish back in the depot. They might not have spare barrels in their supplies.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FishMcCool posted:

Have you seen the conscripts from Moscow? They've got curved artillery guns. Curved. Artillery guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ikasuhito posted:

Have you seen the conscripts from Moscow?

No one has, they all got uni deferments.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What happens if you fire an artillery past the point where it needs a barrel replacement? Does the accuracy just diminish like crazy or does it become a safety issue?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charliegrs posted:

What happens if you fire an artillery past the point where it needs a barrel replacement? Does the accuracy just diminish like crazy or does it become a safety issue?

Theoretically both.

That said, it takes a whole hell of a lot for an artillery piece to catastrophically fail to the point where it becomes dangerous. I forget how to find it, but a few pages back there were videos of Russians using wooden posts to shove a shell into an artillery piece, you do that when the shell isn't made to spec and/or when the artillery barrel is warped. The warping is likely to make the piece unusable before it explodes into a soldier's torso.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

It'll break open like a banana peel

I'm sure you've seen it in a cartoon but it happens

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wondered about the "curved" thing in that correspondence too, but I would have to imagine just wearing out the rifling is going to be enough to ruin any precision they had.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

:catstare: holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1550496497246035969?s=20&t=oQrWanHQ6RMIoqE2M38uUg
There are real names and faces attached to the reports of Russian soldiers mutinying now. There's video. This is definitely an escalation and it'll be interesting so see where things go from here

Soldier's mothers actively putting their names and faces on complaints about soldiers' treatment is what started the end of the Chechen wars.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

KitConstantine posted:

Soldier's mothers actively putting their names and faces on complaints about soldiers' treatment is what started the end of the Chechen wars.
I don't want to nick-pick but Abkhazia is Georgia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wondered about the "curved" thing in that correspondence too, but I would have to imagine just wearing out the rifling is going to be enough to ruin any precision they had.

Idk what the original russian was, but in my non-expert and non-military jargon experience, I'm pretty sure "curved" is referring to barrel droop given words that often get translated ot "curved." Might have been better to say "crooked" or "bent."

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Victis posted:

It'll break open like a banana peel

I'm sure you've seen it in a cartoon but it happens

so there's a few failure modes here that can be interesting,

#1: Banana Peel - Rifled artillery and tank guns (and anything really), most rifled barrels have the rifling cut into them, and this cut becomes a weak point. When you get severe metal fatigue or an overpressure event towards the end of the barrel, they tend to go "Loony tunes banana peel", where the barrel splits into 3, 4, 5, more (depending on how many rifling cuts there were) strips. Commonly seen with Elmer Fudd in loony tunes, and was fairly common after the switch from black powder to smokeless powder due to burn rates, pressure rates, etc etc.

#2: Donut creation - This happens when you have a liquid sitting in front of the projectile before firing. Rarer on tanks/artillery but can happen in naval guns (ingesting seawater) or artillery if you get enough rain into it without checking (Only heard rumors of this tho). Upon firing, the projectile and liquid are forced out the barrel, but at some point it may reach a stage where it's easier for the liquid to go sideways into the barrel, bulging it outwards, to get out of the way of the projectile. This is something I've seen the result of on high velocity rifles, and if you look down the barrel you see a nice "Donut" line about 3/4ths the way down. if it happens repeatedly, the donut grows larger and at some point the steel cannot handle the pressure and the end just severs cleanly off on the next shot. You now have an impromptu short barreled rifle!

#3: Classic Overpressure - This is when something either fully obstructs the projectile, or there's a problem with the powder charge, such as an overcharge, an undercharge (!), the wrong type of propellent used, propellent breakdown or contamination, etc. Propellent is not an explosive, it's supposed to burn at a very steady rate. This normally results in peak pressure about 1/3rd (I may be wrong here!) through the firing process where maximum pressure is reached, and this is what a gun is designed around, and usually "proofed" to 2 or 3x this design pressure. Any of the abovementioned charge failures can result in a short spike, as opposed to a longer buildup, that exceeds even the proofed rating, and as a result you usually see the breech fail and fly apart, rather spectacularly. On a rifle, this can injure someone, sometimes fatally. On a large bore artillery or tank cannon, this will wipe out entire crews. This happened recently with a privately owned WWII Tank Destroyer in.. Nevada? Utah? Wrong powder was utilized in the case charge, and the old breech couldn't handle it, and everyone inside the turret was instantly killed. This is why you periodically see old tanks that have been pressed into service as artillery pieces, fired by means of a string running through a hole/hatch in the turret and fired from outside.

A sagging barrel or overheated barrel is more prone to failure mode #1. Improper maintenance (overoiling by poorly trained troops to try and get a troublesome mechanism to work) usually causes #2. Improperly stored ammunition causes #3.

I would venture to guess Russia's seeing a lot of "All of the above" lately.

(An interesting note on #3: an undercharge of powder can actually lead to a pressure spike, as the primer is able to ignite more of the powder at once than normally is possible. An additional note is one of the myriad of reasons the US finally retired the Iowa class battleships, is some navy supply schmuck decided for some unknown reason, to mix a bunch of various batches of powder together, which caused them to become VERY inconsistent, which utterly ruins any accuracy. Supply of this propellent then became very short, as it's no longer produced. This may have also had something to do with the breech failure on the Iowa in the 80's, which killed everyone in the gunhouse area of the turret, and rendered it permanently inoperable for the rest of the ship's service, but that's a whole other can o worms).

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Budzilla posted:

I don't want to nick-pick but Abkhazia is Georgia.

I know. That's where the Russian soldiers in the video were told the base they were being sent to was located, not where they are from. They're from Russia according to the article.

Abkhazia is also a breakaway province of Georgia who's 'fight for independence' is supported by (shockingly enough) Russia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Doccers posted:

(An interesting note on #3: an undercharge of powder can actually lead to a pressure spike, as the primer is able to ignite more of the powder at once than normally is possible. An additional note is one of the myriad of reasons the US finally retired the Iowa class battleships, is some navy supply schmuck decided for some unknown reason, to mix a bunch of various batches of powder together, which caused them to become VERY inconsistent, which utterly ruins any accuracy. Supply of this propellent then became very short, as it's no longer produced. This may have also had something to do with the breech failure on the Iowa in the 80's, which killed everyone in the gunhouse area of the turret, and rendered it permanently inoperable for the rest of the ship's service, but that's a whole other can o worms).

lol, you're leaving out the best part, which is that the navy tried to pin all of the blame on one living sailor and one dead sailor by spinning that they were gay lovers, and the dead one blew it up on purpose because the living one broke up with him.