Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of framing that one panel is definitely implying Shishiba was the assassin that failed to kill the ex-order guy and how he got his scar, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of framing that one panel is definitely implying Shishiba was the assassin that failed to kill the ex-order guy and how he got his scar, right?

Ooh, that's a good point.

I wonder if it's connected to the Ex-Order dude's spiel about how killing intent should be silent and undetectable. Maybe Shishiba was uncertain about his order to kill him, despite his claim that he was just a guy he was partnered up with, or maybe Shishiba's intent was too clearly readable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Another thing is how similar Amane and Mr. Yotsumura's eyes are. I wonder if like Akira they are relatives?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I Am Fowl posted:

"Who shot that arrow?"

I love this anachronistic mountain hick. Characters in this manga are really shaping up, particularly the relationship between the brother and sister.

I like how the brother has a combination of being an awkward "fish out of water" while also being extremely competent.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the brother has a combination of being an awkward "fish out of water" while also being extremely competent.

"Look, I have trouble understanding modern Japanese with all its loanwords but I can sure as gently caress hunt."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ooh, that's a good point.

I wonder if it's connected to the Ex-Order dude's spiel about how killing intent should be silent and undetectable. Maybe Shishiba was uncertain about his order to kill him, despite his claim that he was just a guy he was partnered up with, or maybe Shishiba's intent was too clearly readable.

when the options are silent and undetectable vs weird goth with a circular saw there's really no contest.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
And now there's a flower arranging manga on Mangaplus. I didn't feel like reading it though. Just wanted to point it out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Darth TNT posted:

And now there's a flower arranging manga on Mangaplus. I didn't feel like reading it though. Just wanted to point it out.

Moebana

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's not a bad first chapter.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
New Gash

https://mangadex.org/chapter/b4350bd3-7654-4b6c-a0dc-859a4c6675c3

Whip his rear end Gash

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I hope the series continues this kind of momentum because it feels absolutely refreshing to have these two back together but clearly the hardened veterans they are. Will be nice to bring back more of the old cast and I can only hope my boy Ted gets to lay the smackdown on those that harmed Cherise and the orphanage kids.

Also :lol: at the nerd not understanding the power of friendship is real and alive in these two.

This is the sequel series I didn't ask for but I'm glad it's around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

This is the sequel series I didn't ask for but I'm glad it's around.

:same:

wonder how future villains are gonna play out cause Waig is definitely done here and there's gotta be more than just these two. Although it would be funny as hell if they solved the main conflict before we hit double digits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
waig's small potatoes. he took out an orphanage, with difficulty. even without magic, there are other demon tribes that are far more physically impressive.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

waig's small potatoes. he took out an orphanage, with difficulty. even without magic, there are other demon tribes that are far more physically impressive.

Brago, Barry, or Elzador would have just straight up murdered Waig.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1550052063815548928
Apprently RuriDragon's on hiatus again for WSJ 35 (Aug 1) so it's really looking grim there.

I swear to god. We're just stuck with Earthchild, aren't we?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Or the author is like sick...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea if it got cancelled they'd say as much. no reason to assume the worst

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

Earth Child's author drains the health of the authors around him to survive!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Dexo posted:

Turns out it's an autobiography, and they've got to get used to drawing with dragon talons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Great chapter.

Zatch Bell is good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I read through all of Demon Slayer this week to see what all the fuss what about. It was good, but not anything mind-blowing. My biggest gripe is that Kanroji bit it, booo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It did a lot of things right but floundered after the train but rumor had it there were circumstances that affected things.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Reading it weekly with all the "whipping" at the end was exhausting but I bet it's much smoother in one go.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I read all of Demon Slayer over the course of a couple weeks and the only part I thought really dragged was the red light district. Overall I think it’s a well paced story that sticks its landing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One of my problems with Demon Slayer is how formulaic it gets from the train arc onwards. Pretty much each one is "Tanjiro and the gang meet a new hashira to train under, who seems like a weirdo and kind of a dick. You then learn about their past while training and then oh no, a new demon general person shows up. The hashira can't quite beat them, but then Tanjiro and sometimes Nezuko save the day. You also get the demon's back story just as they die, lol" on repeat until it feels like "Oh OK time to end the manga now"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And it executed its formula fabulously

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the biggest problem with it is that it did one of those dumb time skip epilogues where it proves the annoying guy and nezuko get together which is gross

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
BAD END

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like sure, nezuko spent most of the manga as a mute, mentally regressed monster with cannibalistic urges but dang. what a step down that was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Demon Slayer did a good job of sticking to the theme of the story all the way through to the end. Sure Tanjiro knowing Sun Breathing helped the final battle but they win through a group effort.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i get that the manga has been over for a couple of years, but just throwing out unmarked spoilers in the miscellaneous thread sucks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
zatch bell is generic shonen as hell and it owns all the way through

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Flame of Recca's Manga is formulaic shonen to a T, and it's probably one of my favorite Manga series.

Formulaic Shonen is fine and good so long as the art/character are good and keep you engaged.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerkface posted:

the biggest problem with it is that it did one of those dumb time skip epilogues where it proves the annoying guy and nezuko get together which is gross

yea that part mega sucks

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I often call One Piece "The Textbook Shounen", it is really good but also never anything other than a Shounen Manga.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

zatch bell is generic shonen as hell and it owns all the way through

I was going to mention that Gash is also incredibly formulaic shonen but compared to Kimetsu it delivers on character moments in a far more bombastic fashion. It's downright inspirational how many Mamodo have stellar moments and times to shine in Gash Bell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Indiana_Krom posted:

I often call One Piece "The Textbook Shounen", it is really good but also never anything other than a Shounen Manga.
I definitely disagree. The scope of the world in OP is unbelievable, goes so far above and beyond shounen mechanics. Individual arcs can get formulaic but the broader plot is so much more intentional and meticulous than shounen ever was supposed to be. (Zatch Bell is to me the platonic shounen as well)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one piece recently had a villain who was so furious at the protagonists that she chased them out of her arc and into the next one

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea one piece is like dragon ball, if it seems standard that's only because it set the standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea one piece is like dragon ball, if it seems standard that's only because it set the standard

In general, I agree, but protagonist-wise, Luffy is definitely drawing from the template Goku set up.