Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bongo Bill posted:

Currently, my favorite is the present day scenario, because that is the only one I have ever played. This game owns

wild west is a great one, especially the secret ending

edit: also goddamn that remake of megalomania is good

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

they got the lead singer of jam project (th cha-la-head-cha-la guy) to sing the song from the ending of near future and it kicks an insane amount of rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YU-S5Y2pTc

go! go! buriki daioh!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

steel titan in srw

e: please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

my favorites between kung fu, ninja, and western, th beginning of near future in the snes game is kind of long but the end kicks rear end too. what a fuckin great game

ninja was always my favourite. Going to try to get a no kill run on the remake, I don't think I ever managed in the original. I remember it always really made me want a Tenchu RPG

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ninja was always my favourite. Going to try to get a no kill run on the remake, I don't think I ever managed in the original. I remember it always really made me want a Tenchu RPG

i did it once, also i used to read rpgclassics nd they had a strategy for grinding oboro to level 16 that was basically "kill these respawning ghosts for hours" and i fuckin did it lol. only time i beat the fish, that thing is fuckin scary

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Caveman chapter secret The mammoth took me like 3 hours to beat at level 12. Do not recommend. It has so many moves that just fill the arena with fire and then heal it for 300 hp, when you deal like 50, some of the time because its evasion is so high.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i did it once, also i used to read rpgclassics nd they had a strategy for grinding oboro to level 16 that was basically "kill these respawning ghosts for hours" and i fuckin did it lol. only time i beat the fish, that thing is fuckin scary

I am, uh, maybe not going to try to get a no kill run.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am, uh, maybe not going to try to get a no kill run.

oh no lol, i did that after the no kill run. technically you cn still do that without getting any kills, killing ghosts doesnt count as killing humans

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how long is each scenario in live a live? I never played the original

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how long is each scenario in live a live? I never played the original

depends on th scenario, some are longer than others. the shortest are like an hour or less, the longest are like two or 3. whole game's maybe 20 hours?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh and a lot of scenarios have hidden bosses and challenges and stuff so you could spend a lot longer if you wanted

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Fungah! posted:

depends on th scenario, some are longer than others. the shortest are like an hour or less, the longest are like two or 3. whole game's maybe 20 hours?

I was interested before but now I am really intrigued. I thought it would be like… 20 hours a piece or something and the game would be eternal.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

1-3 hours, I think, per scenario closer to 3 per.

Future Chapter great bit
During the latter half the loading tip messages become quite sinister. I love it.

This is exactly the kind of remake I wanted for Live a Live.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Live a Live slaps. Thank you Nintendo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm so glad everyone is finally experiencing Live A Live, game has long deserved the attention

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seeing how well done this is is just making me dream about if they ever made a HD2D Soulblazer and how giddy I’d be.

Closest thing is probably the THPS1+2 remake for me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
live a live remake rules. kinda almost everything i wanted from it so far

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tactics Ogre is back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

switch sony and steam

based squeenix

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
SRPGs for life :cool:

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I hope they fix some of the jank poo poo in that game like the dumbass crafting system. Tactics Ogre could have been a solid 10/10 with just a few small tweaks to the annoying bits

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It's a 10/10 despite the annoying crafting, it's the best srpg ever and I'm hyped as hell

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It seems like they’ve been having a moment recently, I hope it continues for a long while

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CountryMatters posted:

I hope they fix some of the jank poo poo in that game like the dumbass crafting system. Tactics Ogre could have been a solid 10/10 with just a few small tweaks to the annoying bits

you cn beat tactics ogre without craftin a single thing so ultimately, who cares

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The effort TO puts into giving motivation and personality to even the most random little nobodies in filler battles is amazing

You're fighting mook 21 in field 3 on the way to a real fight and he's having a crisis of faith over his patriotism and begs you to spare his sickly daughter from the corrupt baron's influence, then afterwards you can optionally read a 5 page encyclopedia article about his entire life and how bad you should feel for killing him

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can you turn off the lovely sprite smoothing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tactics Ogre has always looked cool to me but I’m absolutely dogshit at SRPGs

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

CountryMatters posted:

The effort TO puts into giving motivation and personality to even the most random little nobodies in filler battles is amazing

You're fighting mook 21 in field 3 on the way to a real fight and he's having a crisis of faith over his patriotism and begs you to spare his sickly daughter from the corrupt baron's influence, then afterwards you can optionally read a 5 page encyclopedia article about his entire life and how bad you should feel for killing him

this but never feeling bad because I have the spirit of a warrior

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

never played Tactics Ogre but the Ogre Battle theme playing during the trailer gave me some intense nostalgia. I shall play this.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Tactics Ogre has always looked cool to me but I’m absolutely dogshit at SRPGs

it's the best one but not particularly easy and the big writeup on the S-E site says they're revamping enemy AI to be more responsive

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/tactics-ogre-reborn

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

I just beat Dragon Quest 1 for the first time and it was delightful, I loved seeing all the original monster sprites. I haven't played DQ2 before either so I'm looking forward to it.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Fiend Matador posted:

I just beat Dragon Quest 1 for the first time and it was delightful, I loved seeing all the original monster sprites. I haven't played DQ2 before either so I'm looking forward to it.

Oh man I love the original trilogy, you're in for a treat and you definitely should continue to 3 after you're done with 2.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

been playing SMT4A all weekend and it is really good. I am considering playing Nocturne HD next, or maybe keep holding out for the V PC port.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitter.com/atlus_west/status/1558834589837271040

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm a ways into Apocalypse now, level 46. No idea how close I am to the end. Really really enjoying it, so much so that I've got Nocturne, IV, Soul Hackers and Strange Journey Redux all queued up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I'm a ways into Apocalypse now, level 46. No idea how close I am to the end. Really really enjoying it, so much so that I've got Nocturne, IV, Soul Hackers and Strange Journey Redux all queued up.

baffled at the choice of apocalypse before 3 and 4 lol. you have some giga prime gaming ahead of you, king. sj 3 and 4 are godtier

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Especially 4, just going :dafuq: through the first few hours of apocalypse, and it'll probably make 4 a little more confusing too lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sourdough posted:

Especially 4, just going :dafuq: through the first few hours of apocalypse, and it'll probably make 4 a little more confusing too lol

completely stonefaced through the diamond realm as you have no idea who these people are lmao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I picked Apocalypse because the internet said it had improved gameplay/QoL over IV, and I generally prefer those things to story. Got my reasons even if they don't make sense :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I picked Apocalypse because the internet said it had improved gameplay/QoL over IV, and I generally prefer those things to story. Got my reasons even if they don't make sense :v:

What's most important is you're playing them :cheers: