Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How do you get the drops from twitch? I mined/idled on a channel yesterday and claimed them but not sure how to get them in game. I'm fairly new to even knowing my way around the game at this point so I probably missed something obvious or maybe it takes a bit more time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Suburban Dad posted:

How do you get the drops from twitch? I mined/idled on a channel yesterday and claimed them but not sure how to get them in game. I'm fairly new to even knowing my way around the game at this point so I probably missed something obvious or maybe it takes a bit more time?

You should be able to get them from the quicksilver vendor in the anomaly

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

I've seen streamers just run up and collect them from the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly with no problems. Others have said they need to disable network and reload the game (completely restart, not just reload a save). But I don't think that worked for me last time. I had to disable my internet connection to my computer and then start the game and go to the anomaly. It's really weird but it worked for me on a couple occasions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm new to these twitch drops... I missed two yesterday, and their bars are still 'active' but I'm not currently earning any more time for those rewards. They're not listed as locked... Does anyone know if I'm able to still earn them eventually?

I feel like yesterday's drops were listed going from yesterday morning to tonight. Is there overlap? Or is it the kind of thing where once I earn today's drops, then yesterday's drops will start earning?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
These twitch drops have me checking what games do them and if I can setup a docker container on my nas to just do them afk :haw:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

priznat posted:

These twitch drops have me checking what games do them and if I can setup a docker container on my nas to just do them afk :haw:

gently caress that's a good idea

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

explosivo posted:

Just use the Twitch Drops Miner and save yourself the headache. It's so much easier this way.

You're an absolute king, friend.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I finally managed to repair my frigates. The new teleport-network for your fleet is a really great QoL-update! I always dreaded repairing my frigates and simply hired new ones instead. Now that's moot, as teleporting over is a lot faster than manually flying to every damaged ship in person!

Also :lol:, the industrial frigate that killed me last time killed me a second time by staying mostly invisible until I accidentally walked into a hole in my invisible ship

the third time around, I launched my ship from the landing platform, and after curving around the game had finally loaded the ship, after that I was able to just land again and finally repair that one thing that was broken :shepface:

Another :lol: was the game re-rolling all my scan-upgrades. I was on my way to rip out the updates any buy new ones as I looked a bit closer and realized all the bonuses had changed and now also included mineral scan bonuses. Thanks, Hello Games! :v:

But now I really have to go and find more support ships. By just randomly hiring frigates whenever, I managed to accumulate enough battleships, trading galeons, survey cruisers and other assorted crap to count as my own nation, but of course the one ship type I only have a very limited amount of is support ships. We even have just one fuel ship. One. I have a fleet of battleships and just one tiny fuel supply ship. I am the best. :allears:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 23, 2022

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
How do we get the new living ship upgrades and equipment? I can't find anything about it on the web for some reason.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Vasler posted:

How do we get the new living ship upgrades and equipment? I can't find anything about it on the web for some reason.

You send your living frigate out with other frigates on an expedition. If there's an anomalous result in one of the forays, then at mission debrief there'll be something that can be used on a living ship. I got a Psychonic Egg from mine.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Maybe this is a dumb question but what's the point of this game? Do you collect things or is there a base or something that needs to be built on each planet?

I've never played but I saw it was on sale on Steam and remembered people saying the game used to be poo poo but it's good now so I'm considering buying it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but what's the point of this game?

To have a chill time in Space.

There are story missions you can do, and things like summoning a living ship, but it's best to just treat it as a giant sandbox and do whatever you feel like.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NMS reminds me a bit of my early experience with Minecraft, in that you address some early needs, then set some personal goals, which each need a dozen or so minigoals to fulfill them. Meanwhile the central plot of the game floats around in the distance while I ignore it.

It also reminds me of a character from The Phantom Tollbooth named The Terrible Trivium. NMS is an agreeable waste of time, among the best in the genre of agreeable time wasting games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, NMS reminds me more of Noctis. NMS is basically Noctis with that base-building and crafting grafted on.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ok maybe I should phrase my question differently - what do people spend most of their time doing in game?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ok maybe I should phrase my question differently - what do people spend most of their time doing in game?

When I last played it, building up my base and driving the exocraft off hills at high speeds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

All I know is that I absolutely love this game, but my wife loves it even more. We're so excited to play together someday, either when our Steam deck is ready to go, OR the Switch version gets multiplayer added to it.

We take turns on our one gaming rig for now, but she's overtaken me with time played, and I'm totally fine with that :allears:

We're regularly talking about plans we have in-game, like our joint (heh) nip nip grow-op, finding better ships, building specific bases, etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

putting in way way way too much effort to scan down every single creature on every single planet i land on

also looking for really good locations to set up industrial sites

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I've spent about 4 hours on rebuilding my base. This is the first game that I've enjoyed base building in.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Oh my god, I can't believe that dupe bug works. Now I just need to get my hands on one salvaged module. Cmon game.

Edit:

Okay so I've solved my cargo and salvaged module problem and made a bunch of freighter expedition fuel, yay!

Vasler fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 24, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There's no one answer because the game has the same "mile wide inch deep" thing that Elite Dangerous does, it's just better (sometimes unintentionally) in letting you skip whatever aspects of it you don't want to deal with.

"Fully upgrading and kitting out everything" is a massive, ungodly undertaking in terms of timescale-- "upgrading your player inventory" means jumping from system to system or hunting for dropped exopods on planets, "upgrading your ship inventory" means running missions from NPCs or getting lucky from frigate missions, "upgrading your freighter inventory and tech" means running abandoned freighter missions, "upgrading your weapons/your ship's weapons" getting the currency for the tech and buying blueprints or hunting for RNG items to attach, "being able to understand what the NPCs are actually saying" means individually learning each word from 3 languages 1 word at a time...

Each of those things individually can get old fast but a lot of those can also be skipped entirely through the fact that "Hello Games doesn't care how you play their game as long as it's not harming other people"-- mods work, save editors work, and some in-game duplication tricks have been left in for years at this point. Some people like to lean in hard to one aspect of the game or another (base building and sharing it with others, "mapping out" where good or interesting-looking ships and weapons are to share the coordinates with other players, doing any one of the above full upgrades "fully legitimately" because they really like the gameplay loop of that specific thing...)

For me personally, after the existing quest content I spent a lot of time just trying to make The Most Ridiculously Stupid Optimal Automated Mining Thing, and once I did that I was pretty much done with the game. I still tend to drift back in for new expeditions/updates to see what the new content is, stick around for a bit to do some more "oh right i was building this base/upgrading this frigate the last time I played", and then stop playing once it stops being fun until the next update drops. It's still added up to something like 500 hours of play iirc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i typically spend half of my time building bases and just messing around trying to make interesting architecture, and half my time cruising around checking out new planets and every once in a while befriending a creature and adding it to my pet collection

and sometimes i go to the more populated bits of the euclid galaxy to check out other people's bases and such. but mainly i stay out in the middle of nowhere

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like the opening portion of the game where you rebuild your ship and take to the stars. It feels really good, and the random planet you start on makes it feel pretty different every time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can squadrons be upgraded/outfitted at all? (other than in raw size)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Libluini posted:

Honestly, NMS reminds me more of Noctis. NMS is basically Noctis with that base-building and crafting grafted on.
I definitely don't disagree. I bought NMS after unsuccessfully getting Noctis to run in DOSBox and I got huge Noctis vibes when I started playing. Once I got into chasing different upgrades, it started feeling different, but those moments of silence and... I'm not sure, safety? come back now and then.

I'm keeping my eye open for just the right abandoned system to adopt.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Sentinel/combat update is pretty fine, but letting them blow holes in the ground can get pretty darn annoying

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Can squadrons be upgraded/outfitted at all? (other than in raw size)

You can get them up to S-class by spending nanites. You can do this on the bridge of your freighter in the squadron management screen of the fleet management computer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ugh I just ran into a bug I've only seen once before, where during a derelict freighter mission the 3rd person model disappears and you're unable to fire your weapon. I've never found a way to reset it so I just had to quit, losing all progress.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I had the exact same thing happen on a derelict after climbing a ladder on the way back out yesterday. I spent about a minute trying to see if I could fix it somehow, and then my game just locked up instead and I lost everything anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was doing a derelict freighter last night, and I couldn't teleport back to the first one, despite activating it.

Woke up this morning to a hotfix that fixes that, among other things.

Thank you, Hello Games; you may have caused the bug to begin with (thanks to wonderful updates), but you fixed it pretty drat quickly.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't do the refiner dupe glitch to save my life. So you're supposed to

- Put a portable refiner down and put the item you want to dupe into the "Input" slot
- Put down another portable refiner and push it into the first one so they clip through each other
- Pick up both refiners with whatever's inside

I tried a bunch of times but it didn't work. :(

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

- Put a portable refiner down and put the item you want to dupe into the "Input" slot
- Put down another portable refiner and push it into the first one so they clip through each other

I did it a bunch yesterday and it worked flawlessly. I'll try again right now.

Edit: Tried it again and it worked. Placement on the freighter is tricky. On a planet is much more forgiving like CaptainSkinny says.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Stare-Out posted:

It doesn't work in VR, and if you do it on your freighter you have to be very precise with the placement. Go down to a planet's surface and try there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I did it on the freighter initially, then on a planet and just couldn't do it. I'll give it another go later.

E: Okay, it's even more finicky than I thought, but I got it to work! Now to not do it again unless something as annoying as frigate modules comes up.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If I find and claim a ship, but don't have the stuff to repair it, is there a way for me to find it later? Having a hard time getting the inventory/map/quick menu figured out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

any claimed ships will show up in your freighter when you get one

keep in mind crashed ships have a major drawback in that the weapon system it comes with will never work well, even after being repaired. still worth picking one up if you can find one with a good cargo capacity early on tho.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Is there a way to increase cargo capacity on living ships? The only posts I could find on the internet are from several years ago and talking about some sort of exploit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

keep in mind crashed ships have a major drawback in that the weapon system it comes with will never work well, even after being repaired. still worth picking one up if you can find one with a good cargo capacity early on tho.

How so? I never noticed anything but I haven't gotten into ship weapons much when the base gun kills stuff fine.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Vasler posted:

Is there a way to increase cargo capacity on living ships? The only posts I could find on the internet are from several years ago and talking about some sort of exploit.

The Endurance update added Spawning Sacs for this. You can get these by sending living frigates on a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

How so? I never noticed anything but I haven't gotten into ship weapons much when the base gun kills stuff fine.

Yeah, same, I've never noticed a difference.