Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bring a sign that says "Angelico for Pure Division, I'm sure you already have this idea in mind but for chrissakes put the guy on TV, he just got a chill new summer jam and it's already late July"

Or just the first part, I'm not your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Really freakin excited to go to the show tomorrow, hoping they don't have metal guardrail covers because I will be bummed that I only have second row and can't bang on them if they do.

If they don't have the metal covers, is it even Ring of Honor?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hold a sign with Vince’s face that says “Seeking Employment”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Bring a sign that says "Angelico for Pure Division, I'm sure you already have this idea in mind but for chrissakes put the guy on TV, he just got a chill new summer jam and it's already late July"

Or just the first part, I'm not your mom.

Not with that attitude.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MassRafTer posted:

I will be bummed that I only have second row and can't bang on them if they do.

It wouldn't sell me the "premium" tickets!!! I'm sorry!!!

But with that said, I, also, am going to Ring of Honor. I never even drove out this far 15 years ago in my early 20's so: I AM PUMPED

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As an incredibly rich person who sits front row I am not bringing a sign because I'd block everyone's view.

Unfortunately, the slightly less rich Hulkamatt screwed us and made us sit with the commoners in THE SECOND ROW!!!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I was kinda of on the fence on buying this show but Rush/Dragon lee gonna get me to buy it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i usually get second row and ask to switch seats with everyone in the front row. by the time i get all the way back around it usually ends up working. people are generous and kind

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The show now also has Colt Cabana vs Anthony Henry, and Rush vs Dragon Lee on it

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I do love Claudio but I hope Gresham ties him up in knots tonight

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I do love Claudio but I hope Gresham ties him up in knots tonight

I hope we get a repeat of the sack tap spot lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wee bit early, but here's the Death Before Dishonor thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008066

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just want FTR/Briscoes II to main event

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

I wasn't actually sure what to put as the main event, since they've seem to be building the World TV title as the main event recently.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Rarity posted:

I do too, because then I'll be able to watch it. If it's early on the card I'm otherwise occupied.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ROHMusic/status/1550683358967087107?s=20&t=-TRTXLvlwqz8WkazU1KmdA

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonna have to change this tron right away

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SRS teasing a big ROH story. Wonder if it has to do with TV deals or something with Gresham?

Or nothing actually big at all.

Edit: whoops there it is

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1551258914670252033?s=20&t=TgTHD3Gm_uoO73fCelMpTA

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
posted in the aew thread since they're basically the same promotion at this time

edit: you already saw it

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
has there been word on what (if anything) happened to Tully?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It looks like Jonathan Gresham could be done with Ring of Honor and AEW only a few months after signing with the two companies.

Fightful Select has learned that former ROH World Champion Jonathan Gresham asked for his release Saturday ahead of the ROH Death Before Dishonor show that saw him lose the championship. We're told that there was a lack of communication between the company and Gresham leading up to the weekend, and Gresham was said to have felt disrespected by this. Among other things, we learned that the lack of time for the world title match was a tipping point as well.

We're told that Gresham finally procured a meeting with Tony Khan before the show, he was said to have communicated the frustration that led to him "cussing out" Khan. Several talent confirmed this to Fightful following the ROH Death Before Dishonor show.

Gresham had interest from Japan, IMPACT and others before re-signing with ROH/AEW. Gresham told Fightful late last year that he was going to stick things out and see where the ROH brand landed, as he felt a sense of loyalty and pride in continuing it.

Fightful has reached out to Khan and Gresham for responses, and we're told from Gresham's side of things that as of this moment, Gresham is "done with wrestling for the foreseeable future after this month." We were also told that Gresham came out without his regular entrance gear because he wanted to be himself and see everything clearly for what would possibly be his last match. We've not heard from Tony Khan or ROH's side of things officially.

It has not been confirmed that Gresham was granted his request for release.

In the past, several former AEW talent have spoken about the lack of communication being a point of frustration for them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tony really needs to stop doing everything by himself, in both companies, or else (a) we will have a lot more Gresham situations (b) Tony will burn himself out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Venomous posted:

Tony really needs to stop doing everything by himself, in both companies, or else (a) we will have a lot more Gresham situations (b) Tony will burn himself out.

What's the solution here then?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

He doesn't, Chris Daniels is the head of talent relations. Gresham is not the easiest person to deal with. Hopefully they just release him.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
What's the story about Gresham being difficult? Supercard of Honor was my first proper introduction to him so I'm not familiar with his reputation backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What's the story about Gresham being difficult? Supercard of Honor was my first proper introduction to him so I'm not familiar with his reputation backstage.

He thinks he's one of the best in the world and that he doesn't get chances because of his height. Sometimes he says it himself in interviews (he did yesterday before the PPV) sometimes he has Jordynne tweet it for him. He has very specific ideas about what wrestling is which you can see in the shows he tries to promote.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MassRafTer posted:

He thinks he's one of the best in the world and that he doesn't get chances because of his height. Sometimes he says it himself in interviews (he did yesterday before the PPV) sometimes he has Jordynne tweet it for him. He has very specific ideas about what wrestling is which you can see in the shows he tries to promote.

That sounds like he values himself and his ideas. Weird to mark that as hard to work with, imo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MotU posted:

That sounds like he values himself and his ideas. Weird to mark that as hard to work with, imo

When you or a surrogate are complaining about your booking in public and cursing out management before the show that goes a bit beyond valuing yourself and ideas! Especially when you go out and put on your pouty face for the match. Being easy to work with isn't always a good thing for talent, but what he did is basically the definition of hard to work with. In the end whether this is a good or bad trait depends on someone's evaluation of the talent, but with Gresham I think it's kind of funny.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
gresham takes himself incredibly seriously to the point of him having low-ki vibes, and that comparison becomes more apt after gresham also apparently was upset about losing to claudio

also now im wondering about the weird circumstances of how he suddenly dropped the PROGRESS title (right before the bell rings, they announced he would be stripped of the title if there was any interference, and 10 minutes later there was interference)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

When you or a surrogate are complaining about your booking in public and cursing out management before the show that goes a bit beyond valuing yourself and ideas! Especially when you go out and put on your pouty face for the match. Being easy to work with isn't always a good thing for talent, but what he did is basically the definition of hard to work with. In the end whether this is a good or bad trait depends on someone's evaluation of the talent, but with Gresham I think it's kind of funny.

Sounds like one of those cases where Gresham is absolutely right but also doesn't have the skills to get the things he wants out of communication so lol rip.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Fart Radio posted:

gresham takes himself incredibly seriously to the point of him having low-ki vibes, and that comparison becomes more apt after gresham also apparently was upset about losing to claudio

also now im wondering about the weird circumstances of how he suddenly dropped the PROGRESS title (right before the bell rings, they announced he would be stripped of the title if there was any interference, and 10 minutes later there was interference)

Sounds like he was upset about lack of communication and the match length!

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I might actually become a fan of Gresham if he starts acting more like Low Ki, but I didn’t see him stiffing or no-selling anything.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Losing your title in an 11-minute match to start the PPV gotta be disrespectful booking, right? Maybe they only decided on that after he cussed out Tony Khan lol.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I genuinely thought it was the shortest length world title change in company history but unfortunately New Japan gave Cole vs. O'Reilly only 10 minutes. (Rush beating PCO around that same time also). Unfortunate because it would have been, to me, a very funny stat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is starting off a PPV a bad thing? When you look at Tony Khan's booking, he's more often than not started the show with a fairly big match.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Per Fightful posted:

Tully [Blanchard] was not present at Death Before Dishonor, and there were mixed messages as to whether or not he outright missed his travel or there was confusion surrounding the travel, but Tully's prison ministry group was cited as the reason he wasn't there.

ROH staff and talent were told that Tully is effectively gone from the company is not included in future plans.

I mean, yeah if you put me with a stable you were building then immediately rebranded it and the guy I was working with is now gone, I'd want to have a conversation about my future too.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

edogawa rando posted:

Is starting off a PPV a bad thing? When you look at Tony Khan's booking, he's more often than not started the show with a fairly big match.

It’s a little unconventional to have the world title first for sure but having Claudio win and the celebration as the kick off of the show I think worked pretty well. It was a positive vibe to get things going, so I think it was good for the flow even if unusual

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

edogawa rando posted:

since the inaugural aew world title match, it has been either the penultimate or final match on the ppv shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

since the inaugural aew world title match, it has been either the penultimate or final match on the ppv shows

Meanwhile the ROH Tag Titles have often been the main event and the World Title has been at different places on the card depending on what works best.