Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Indiana_Krom posted:

I often call One Piece "The Textbook Shounen", it is really good but also never anything other than a Shounen Manga.

This one scene where Luffy puts his hat on Katakuri's mouth is so excellent. It is a quiet acknowledgement, not flashy and a simple continuation of his character that he will cover up what his enemies wish covered for literally no reason then it falls outside of what they are fighting about.

Naruto's friendship no jutsu comes close but it was all very loud and very much the point of a fight or conflict. But did Goku do anything like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

I definitely disagree. The scope of the world in OP is unbelievable, goes so far above and beyond shounen mechanics. Individual arcs can get formulaic but the broader plot is so much more intentional and meticulous than shounen ever was supposed to be. (Zatch Bell is to me the platonic shounen as well)

I don’t think the world matters. One Piece is incredibly standard shounen. Luffy is a dumb (except in battle) big eater. Who will get beaten up 6 times but get back up and pull a win out of rear end with either pure shounen spirit (followed with the opponent being incredulous and haughty till the end) or with a new power up.
Luffy is surrounded by people who share his values but ultimately don’t really matter.
We have Bleach poo poo for throwing Ichigo out of the palace 3 times, but it had nothing on this fight with Kaidou.
It may have good dressing, but a salad is still a salad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when he buries vegeta on namek maybe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goku never did anything subtle in his life

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

Yeah, Flame of Recca's Manga is formulaic shonen to a T, and it's probably one of my favorite Manga series.

Formulaic Shonen is fine and good so long as the art/character are good and keep you engaged.

Gash Bell is better than Flame of Recca IMO because it is also very funny. Kiyomaro is also cool and having the combination of him and Gash be dual-protagonists works very well.

Flame of Recca has the weird distinction of being the only manga I've fully read but can barely remember, outside of my general impressions of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That wasn't some gash bell vs flame of recca thing.

I Iike Gash Bell its fun.

I like Flame of Recca more but that just an opinion thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever a shounen fighting manga starts a tournament arc it makes it clear that the stakes aren't all that high. it's a game because someone's loving around when they don't really have to. flame of recca is mostly tournament arcs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

That wasn't some gash bell vs flame of recca thing.

I Iike Gash Bell its fun.

I like Flame of Recca more but that just an opinion thing

Oh, I didn't mean that post as "You're wrong! Flame of Recca sucks!" but more just giving my opinions about both the series.

vvv Flame of Recca was still fun to read, or else I wouldn't have finished the whole thing. I just think Gash Bell holds up exceptionally well because of the sheer personality of the art and humor. The sense of humor of the artist really shines through.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 24, 2022

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

These posts made me reread flame of recca, and I binged the entire thing in like a day and gosh darnit, it generally holds up really well.

They made an entire tournament series somehow have real stakes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like Shounen stuff too. Anyone have recommendations for stuff that doesn't end up accidentally falling into the Superman Problem? Only one I can ever think of is Fullmetal Alchemist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I like Shounen stuff too. Anyone have recommendations for stuff that doesn't end up accidentally falling into the Superman Problem? Only one I can ever think of is Fullmetal Alchemist.

What do you mean by Superman Problem? Depending on what you mean, I'd recommend different manga.

Some general purpose suggestions, depending on what you're looking for: Ashita No Joe, Goodbye Eri, Soloist in the Cage, God of Destruction Magu-chan, Sandland.

One of those might have what you want, but without more details, I can't nail things down.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Read Zatch Bell.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thoughts on last week's batch:

Earthchild: Just loving end it already, goddamn. Is this Shonen Jump's Morbius? Did the editor-in-chief confuse people talking about Earthchild as them liking it? As to the chapter itself, it sure loves talking up the importance of the dad and his special power. It'd be one thing if they kept it vague and said the power of love was what powered up the wife and baby, but it's explicitly the dad turning out to have hidden powers that did so. It also made those scenes where the dad shrugged off the memory wipes to remember meeting Kareri and Mamoru's existence, respectively, feel kind of cheap since it's probably only his power at work there.

Also, everyone is really just gonna shrug and let Waste keep doing its thing, and the family's even going to join it voluntarily. No tearing down the institution, or performing sweeping changes to the rules. Not like it's the cause of so much misery for Earthchildren or anything. Better things just aren't possible, I guess. :laffo:

Witch Watch: I get why the introduced a friend for Miharu so he has someone to interact with, but it kinda reads like a transactional relationship to me. Still, the manga's shown to have some good character development moments so this might be intentional and be addressed later on.

Sakamoto Days: The manga's hit on a pretty good theme now that they're exploring how the JAA is this old system and how it affects other assassins. It does good by putting order in such a chaotic profession and ensuring assassins don't end up killing their competition, as well as making sure everyone's provided with missions. But it can also lead to a situation where Shishiba's mentor became a wanted man who can never see the light of day again or risk being found and killed.

You can see why someone like Slur would want to destroy the JAA. But we don't actually know what Slur's endgame is, which makes it hard to trust his motivations. It's also interesting how his rhetoric is spreading among the impressionable youth, who only hear the words "he'll change things for sure!" and can't even ask what these changes will entail.

Akane-Banashi: While I'd love it if Akane wins and gets her private chat with Issho, it'd be really badass if she loses the competition, but wins by tearing off Issho's congenial mask in public.

High School Family: Still the best gag manga in Jump right now. Sorry, Roboco.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You know, if Earthchild had STARTED like this, it may have had a chance to not be awful? Like, have Mamoru as a kid be the protagonist and have it be somewhat serialized of him and his parents saving the world from natural disasters. But weird stuff keeps happening to the dad and the reader assumes that at first it's just for dramatic effect to target the guy without powers. Then it's slowly hinted at that it's unnatural, such as the wind targeting him. Then do some flashbacks of him and baby Mamoru trying to save Kareri, and the reveal that he met god and she wants to kill him. Would have been a relatively unique Shonen setup and would make for an interesting twist.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked this week's Aliens Area enough to make a post about it. Nice to see a more regular interaction with an alien instead of punch time all the time. Kind of needed given the way people were feeling about the series.

Also, at long last, in Doron Dororon Ginchiyo returns! <: Guess this is really the end of the manga though. Like her motivation a lot though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What do you mean by Superman Problem? Depending on what you mean, I'd recommend different manga.

Some general purpose suggestions, depending on what you're looking for: Ashita No Joe, Goodbye Eri, Soloist in the Cage, God of Destruction Magu-chan, Sandland.

One of those might have what you want, but without more details, I can't nail things down.

Gah, I should've said Goku or Sonic. Basically the problem where the main character is the only one who can actually stop the villain of the arc and their friends become more and more irrelevant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Gah, I should've said Goku or Sonic. Basically the problem where the main character is the only one who can actually stop the villain of the arc and their friends become more and more irrelevant.

I'm guessing you've probably already read it, but HxH is good with this (as well as many other things).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Many battle shonen have protagonists who don’t overshadow the rest of the cast, but only World Trigger has the courage to have the main hero suck at everything compared to even forgettable side characters whose names are mentioned once

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It was weird in Aliens Area how the main character went 'oh man gonna have to fight another guy' when the alien basically just said he was here on vacation and didn't do anything remotely aggressive to make it seem otherwise. Did the translation miss something?

Leaning into the office job stuff would probably be good for it though, most interested I've been in one of its chapters so far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, Robo Dragon is really copying Ruri dragon. A very good copy though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: I'm honestly really impressed with how the manga shows characters handlin' the audience. Akane did it before in the home for the elderly to grab the attention of the one old dude who wasn't paying attention, and Hikaru immediately jumped into her act because she realized it was the only way to get the audience to focus on her story properly. It's a departure from standard shounen, where school competitions are all about hot-blooded rivalry and tensions flaring up exponentially. So it's really cool how Akane shifts the mood from a school competition into a professional rakugo act, which shows the difference in experience and skills between her and the rest of the competition - both Hikaru and Karashi, while skilled, are unaware of what she's up to, while Guriko and Koguma, who are professionals, recognize what's up.

Now that the stage has been set, let's see what Akane pulls out in the next week! God, the next chapter can't come soon enough!

Elusive Samurai: Oh boy it's finally team for the mini boss squad to enter the game for real! Also laugh out loud at the dude makin' bank off women simpin'.

Mashle: How long has Mash been dead for, I lost count.

Robo Dragon: Honestly it's pretty funny.

Ruri Dragon: Really cute chapter. I honestly wondered if the author was going to make Ruri sorta friendless (save the one friend) and overly awkward cause that wouldn't have been very fun so I'm glad my fears were unfounded. Happy for Ruri, wonder if her new power is what pushes her to seek out her dad cause I honestly wanna see more dragons in Ruri Dragon.

Sakamoto Days: Good chapter, I'm very happy for my boy Shin who's finally getting to live his best life and enjoy his school days and show off in front of the class. Aunty seems super powerful. Before Shin showed up I was actually assumin' Akira would ace the test given how she's a timid bundle of nerves before suddenly going murder mode. Lookin' forward to next week!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m always thrilled by how the older characters in sakamoto are drawn in a more detailed/crosshatched style, it’s such a great contrast

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: I'm honestly really impressed with how the manga shows characters handlin' the audience. Akane did it before in the home for the elderly to grab the attention of the one old dude who wasn't paying attention, and Hikaru immediately jumped into her act because she realized it was the only way to get the audience to focus on her story properly. It's a departure from standard shounen, where school competitions are all about hot-blooded rivalry and tensions flaring up exponentially. So it's really cool how Akane shifts the mood from a school competition into a professional rakugo act, which shows the difference in experience and skills between her and the rest of the competition - both Hikaru and Karashi, while skilled, are unaware of what she's up to, while Guriko and Koguma, who are professionals, recognize what's up.

Show-ha Shoten is also very good with highlighting the "performing for your audience" angle. It also helps that sketch and manzai comedy make a lot more sense to me than rakugo (which seems sorta like performing storytelling in the same way you would music, where everyone knows the whole story already and is just focused on its performance and interpretation).

nrook posted:

Many battle shonen have protagonists who don’t overshadow the rest of the cast, but only World Trigger has the courage to have the main hero suck at everything compared to even forgettable side characters whose names are mentioned once

He doesn't suck, he's just "not one of the best." At this point he's pretty average at fighting (and significantly above average as a team leader).

It's basically a believable "guy who works hard" scenario. He can't work his way into high trion levels or quick reflexes, but he can become skilled at using those trion bullets and (more recently) the trip cables. He could probably win a majority of 1v1 duels with maybe 1/3-to-1/2 of the other B-rankers (and B-rankers as a whole are above average).

One other similar thing I like in World Trigger is that there are a number of individuals in B-rank who are at least as personally skilled as A-rank people, and just happen to have teams that don't perform quite as well.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 25, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
"Is somewhat better than the generic fodder characters" is basically identical to "sucks" within the context of a shonen series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there hasn't been generic fodder in world trigger in years

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Show-ha Shoten is also very good with highlighting the "performing for your audience" angle. It also helps that sketch and manzai comedy make a lot more sense to me than rakugo (which seems sorta like performing storytelling in the same way you would music, where everyone knows the whole story already and is just focused on its performance and interpretation).

That's the rakugo anime, right?

Honestly I've been considering watching that purely because Akane-banashi is so good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Honestly I've been considering watching that purely because Akane-banashi is so good.

No that's a different manga, the anime you are thinking of is showa genroku rakugo shinjuu.

Any you should watch it, it's one of the best anime/dramas of the past decade.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

No that's a different manga, the anime you are thinking of is showa genroku rakugo shinjuu.

Any you should watch it, it's one of the best anime/dramas of the past decade.

I'll look into it!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No, it's a sketch/manzai stand-up comedy manga. But it does the same sort of things well. The basic premise is that this shy guy who is great at writing jokes (and has anonymously been submitting them to radio shows and what have you and gained some acclaim under his pseudonym) ends up teaming up with a guy who used to be a child star and is a very skilled performer.

It's also a monthly manga, with just one long chapter released each month.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Chapter 9 of Saint Seiya: someone gets gibbed extremely violently, but turns out it was all just in their head

This is pretty fun imo, it's cheesy but it rules

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
If you're interested in learning more about rakugo you might be interested in Katsura Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Xph7AHrDs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

Chapter 9 of Saint Seiya: someone gets gibbed extremely violently, but turns out it was all just in their head

This is pretty fun imo, it's cheesy but it rules

The Phoenix Spector Punch making its target just start tripping balls is always great

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I have no idea what’s going on in this MarriageToxin arc. This sound power makes no sense

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's all pretty much just ninja magic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
He is using magic sounds/music to trigger hallucinations in his targets. As far as silly shonen powers go, I think it's pretty standard, no? On that note, it's super hilarious that Marriagetoxin is basically Naruto now

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lt. Lizard posted:

He is using magic sounds/music to trigger hallucinations in his targets. As far as silly shonen powers go, I think it's pretty standard, no? On that note, it's super hilarious that Marriagetoxin is basically Naruto now

Ok but what about the text missiles, and that the hallucinations can apparently be seen by multiple people?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
text missiles is just a v isual representation of what he explained he did: poison himself with something that makes his sense of touch supercharged so that he can feel incoming vibrations and dodge them before they actually reach his ear

him slaying the hallucinaton is her hallucinating the result of his pep talk

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, our dear protagonist is simply cool enough to dodge sounds now. Does that make sense? No. Is it awesome? Hella.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
WaqWaq was recently released as individual chapters on the Shonen Jump app which gives me hope that we'll see stuff like Bobobo, GinTama, Ultimate Muscle... available eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Still crossing my fingers for Eyeshield 21.