Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bruceski posted:

How so? I never noticed anything but I haven't gotten into ship weapons much when the base gun kills stuff fine.

at least last time i was claiming crashed ships, repaired weapons would always be at 50% effectiveness. you could fix that by dismantling, re-buying and re-installing weapons, but that was not an option for the photon cannon. maybe they have changed it since (and if they haven't, they should, because it's dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m having a glitch where I can’t buy a ship outright (despite having tons of money), it only offers me the option to swap and pay the difference.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sounds like you have too many ships

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

I’m having a glitch where I can’t buy a ship outright (despite having tons of money), it only offers me the option to swap and pay the difference.

Yeah, might be too many. Limit is 9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I only have 1!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

I only have 1!

Well, that's just weird. Sorry friend, I have no idea why that's happening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It might just be my game loving up. I had to restart yesterday because the pirate station hum was continuously playing even when I’d left.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've been playing this game since 2018 (off and on) and I JUST learned that those floating barriers in the frigate that limit where you can put rooms are decorations that can be removed...

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CaptainSkinny posted:

The Endurance update added Spawning Sacs for this. You can get these by sending living frigates on a mission.

Thanks!

Is there more than one living frigate? I got the one from the leviathan expedition. The way you worded it leads me to believe you can, but I haven't seen anything in my game that suggests I can.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's now a random chance for you to get the blueprint for a Dream Aerial from frigate missions that lets you encounter more living frigates.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Once you craft the dream aerial found via random chance as a frigate mission reward, you only need to pulse to find your first living frigate. If you want to get another living frigate, you will need to use an anomaly detector. Stay in pulse after activating the anomaly detector until the text box in the lower right corner tells you that it's a Cosmic Megafauna.

The first you find is free, just like your first freighter is free. Also like the freighters, they cost hundreds of millions of units.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So is there a list somewhere of what food does what for your living frigate?
I just got one and it was set up as an exploration ship after the encounter but then I fed it a Mystery Meat Stew and it changed to a combat one, so I’m curious as to what to feed it to turn it back or into a support, trade or industrial ship.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
From the small amount of testing I've done, I'm pretty sure there's no possible "list" of effects-- it seems likely that each food item is treated as "an RNG seed", probably combined with the frigate's internal seed based on what system you picked it up in, and the combination of the two results in a set outcome of stats. More or less refined cooking goods does not appear to have an obvious improvement in outcome, and if you give it (ex) refined flour, then donuts, and then refined flour again, the stats on the flour are static. The stat allocation/bonuses from one living ship to another appear to not be the same when presented with the same food.

It also seems that attempting to get a living frigate via anomalous encounter multiple times in the same system will result in the same ship showing up (and the game lets you pay for but not actually get multiples), so at least for now the process seems to just be "stuff as much junk food into it as you have handy until you find a stat allocation that makes you happy".

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 25, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah, interesting
Time to experiment
It's cool that cooking has some use now and I have stacks of food stuff in storage to play around with
My frigate will be so well fed

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Helith posted:

My frigate will be so well fed

I’m just imagining the absolute horror movie poo poo that goes on for the crew that has to *exist* with a living frigate onboard.

‘Ugh, I hate this just as much every time, I never get used to it.’

‘I know, but the captain says we gotta, and hey, it’s better than living on that planet with the 300 degree lightning storms’

*walks into a cargo bay room and begins loading boxes into an orifice while the ‘ship’ squelches and feeds on some unknown substance, distracted*

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I don't think the living frigates have a crew. It's implied you're commanding them directly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Saxophone posted:

I’m just imagining the absolute horror movie poo poo that goes on for the crew that has to *exist* with a living frigate onboard.

‘Ugh, I hate this just as much every time, I never get used to it.’

‘I know, but the captain says we gotta, and hey, it’s better than living on that planet with the 300 degree lightning storms’

*walks into a cargo bay room and begins loading boxes into an orifice while the ‘ship’ squelches and feeds on some unknown substance, distracted*

Have you read some of the actual log entries from frigate missions when the "anomalous events" happen?

They're uh

interesting

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's a cool touch to have your frigate captains hanging out on the freighter when they're not out on missions. If you talk to them you can inspect the frigate they're the captain of.

The windowed corridors and exterior catwalks are wild in VR, too.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Everything they did for the freighters is so loving great. So many quality of life improvements and the new look is so good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ephori posted:

Everything they did for the freighters is so loving great. So many quality of life improvements and the new look is so good.
If only there were more freighter modules to go around!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying farming outlaw freighters for fun and profit and occasional modules, but man.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

dwarf74 posted:

If only there were more freighter modules to go around!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying farming outlaw freighters for fun and profit and occasional modules, but man.

What are outlaw freighters (I didn't play the Outlaws update)? I've just been flying to random systems and shooting up all NPC freighters for frigate fuel and the occaisonal module. Is there a better way I should be doing?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
If you attack freighters in a pirate system, it doesn't alert sentinels so it's a bit safer. Also, if you only destroy the pods attached to a freighter it doesn't drop your rep with the system species, and you can reset the freighters by landing on your own freighter or the Anomaly and reloading. Those freighters also carry contraband, which means if you warp to a normal system and sell them you make tons of units.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yup, that.

Note that it's almost impossible to avoid accidentally hitting a pod that's hiding on the far side (or even inside!) a freighter. And same for random NPC ships, too. So you'll get some rep hits but those are more than countered by shooting down pirates with bounties. (And yeah that's extremely ironic.)

It's probably the best way to farm the modules right now.

e: My usual haul is like $20m just from the smuggled items after a few runs. More if I sell off the excess legal goods.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 25, 2022

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Ahh, okay. I'm guessing pirate systems are the ones with skulls on the galaxy map? I saw some last night and didn't remember them being there the last time I played earlier this year. I guess I should go back and see what was added in the dogfighting update since that's the one I never played for sure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DO IT TO IT posted:

Ahh, okay. I'm guessing pirate systems are the ones with skulls on the galaxy map? I saw some last night and didn't remember them being there the last time I played earlier this year. I guess I should go back and see what was added in the dogfighting update since that's the one I never played for sure.
Yup that's them.

They were added earlier this year along with Solar Class ships (which are awesome). I think a new dogfighting mechanic too, with enemy Shields. (Rockets are awesome now.)

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
You guys talking about feeding your living frigates, how do you do that? The only one I have is The Leviathan, and I can't really interact with it at all.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I feel like I am missing something here, so I ran info my first freighter fight, they offered to sell it to me for way more money than I had. I declined it, a bit later got an offer for a free one, which peeps said to decline as I would get a better one for free later.

But everytime I jump to a new system I just get a freighter that pops up and they want me to buy it for Xmillions. I feel like I am doing something wrong? Or do I just keep doing this and eventually one will be free?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

You guys talking about feeding your living frigates, how do you do that? The only one I have is The Leviathan, and I can't really interact with it at all.

The Leviathan is A Special Case one, every other living frigate can have their stats rerolled with food.

Rakeris posted:

I feel like I am missing something here, so I ran info my first freighter fight, they offered to sell it to me for way more money than I had. I declined it, a bit later got an offer for a free one, which peeps said to decline as I would get a better one for free later.

But everytime I jump to a new system I just get a freighter that pops up and they want me to buy it for Xmillions. I feel like I am doing something wrong? Or do I just keep doing this and eventually one will be free?

Assuming it isn't bugged and assuming you have no freighter right now, the way it goes is:
- As you warp into one of your first systems after starting the game, you'll get a distress call/pirate attack. It'll be for a "smaller" freighter and when you rescue them and dock, the captain will offer it for free as your First Freighter
- Every 3ish hours of gameplay and 5 jumps after that point, you'll get another pirate attack distress call but always for a capital ship sized freighter, which has more cargo space. This is the only time you'll encounter these, as opposed to the small freighters that warp into systems as random spawns all the time.
- If you turned down the first one, you'll still have effectively "a coupon for a free freighter", so you can get the capital-sized one for free; otherwise it'll run you one or two hundred million to trade up.

The fact that your first one asked for money either indicates you're conflating a freighter pirate attack with some sort of random encounter+nearby hostiles, or the Endurance patch hosed some of the previously-reliable freighter mechanics. If you're following the above bulletpoints then it's probably the latter, in which case it'd be either "keep running around until you get lucky", "wait for a patch that addresses it" or "dupe some money in a refiner to just buy a freighter to skip the hassle of dealing with this particular bug".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I built a cool bar on my freighter and none of my crew hang out there. :saddowns: What's so drat important about my storage facility anyway?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The Leviathan is A Special Case one, every other living frigate can have their stats rerolled with food.

Assuming it isn't bugged and assuming you have no freighter right now, the way it goes is:
- As you warp into one of your first systems after starting the game, you'll get a distress call/pirate attack. It'll be for a "smaller" freighter and when you rescue them and dock, the captain will offer it for free as your First Freighter
- Every 3ish hours of gameplay and 5 jumps after that point, you'll get another pirate attack distress call but always for a capital ship sized freighter, which has more cargo space. This is the only time you'll encounter these, as opposed to the small freighters that warp into systems as random spawns all the time.
- If you turned down the first one, you'll still have effectively "a coupon for a free freighter", so you can get the capital-sized one for free; otherwise it'll run you one or two hundred million to trade up.

The fact that your first one asked for money either indicates you're conflating a freighter pirate attack with some sort of random encounter+nearby hostiles, or the Endurance patch hosed some of the previously-reliable freighter mechanics. If you're following the above bulletpoints then it's probably the latter, in which case it'd be either "keep running around until you get lucky", "wait for a patch that addresses it" or "dupe some money in a refiner to just buy a freighter to skip the hassle of dealing with this particular bug".

Possible I got them mixed up? It was some pirate attack that I fought off then I was able to dock at the ship, it looked big? At least compared to mine, so maybe it wasn't a freighter? (Not sure if there are other large ships you can dock at?)

One thing I did do however it warp a few systems away from where I started got that quest, then came back to the starter system and got the free freighter quest, so maybe I messed it up by jumping to far away?

But thanks for the info, I'll probably just jump around a bit more to see if I get one and if not just work around it.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Who cares about rep anyway when you can just reset it with one of those passport thingies. Pick a race you don't particularly like and just go ham on every freighter and cargo pod you can set your sights on.

You'll be swimming in spacedollars from all the contraband and the drop rate for modules is a small bonus.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Is there something wrong with the new freighter hallways/rooms when it comes to attaching objects to their walls? I was building a med bay last night and found that no matter where I tried to attach stuff like monitors and robotic arms to the walls and ceilings, they were never physically attached. There was always an annoying gap between the object and the wall it was supposed to be attached to. It didn't seem like the game would let me place things any closer to the wall, am I maybe missing something?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Are you using the Expansion Rooms?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Are you using the Expansion Rooms?

Yep, the room I was doing this in was the technology expansion room, I think. I was having the same problem in other locations as well, like trying to attach wall monitors to the new hallways and making it look like it's actually attached.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, a lot of the "older" stuff doesn't play well with the new stuff so they don't connect properly. I'd guess it'll get patched out at some point though but right now I have posters and vents hanging about a foot off the wall in the air.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, a lot of the "older" stuff doesn't play well with the new stuff so they don't connect properly. I'd guess it'll get patched out at some point though but right now I have posters and vents hanging about a foot off the wall in the air.

Yeah that's exactly the problem I was having with wall monitors, robotic arms, wall cabinets, etc. Almost makes me want to just use the old legacy hallways and rooms.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'd say just stick with it and wait for it to be patched so you don't have to build everything all over again. It may look weird now but unless a patch completely messes it up and puts all the stuff inside the walls or something it'll get fixed. Sean listens to the community and the community is pretty passionate about stuff like this so it'll get fixed.

Funnily enough the problem is even worse in VR because you can see depth so no matter what the angle it's pretty obvious the stuff is just floating in the air.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fenrisulfr posted:

If you attack freighters in a pirate system, it doesn't alert sentinels so it's a bit safer. Also, if you only destroy the pods attached to a freighter it doesn't drop your rep with the system species, and you can reset the freighters by landing on your own freighter or the Anomaly and reloading. Those freighters also carry contraband, which means if you warp to a normal system and sell them you make tons of units.

I haven't played in a while. You can attack freighters these days? Do they explode spectacularly? A while back one of my friends was only interested in blowing up big ships and was disappointed to learn that he could only defend them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DO IT TO IT posted:

Is there something wrong with the new freighter hallways/rooms when it comes to attaching objects to their walls? I was building a med bay last night and found that no matter where I tried to attach stuff like monitors and robotic arms to the walls and ceilings, they were never physically attached. There was always an annoying gap between the object and the wall it was supposed to be attached to. It didn't seem like the game would let me place things any closer to the wall, am I maybe missing something?

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it goddamit :colbert:

I'm playing with some glitched methods of embedding them with no immediate success (which is to say, "embedded but at unreliable angles and a pain in the rear end"), but it does seem like the clipping amount on the exterior is actually better than inside so hopefully it's fixable

Diephoon posted:

I haven't played in a while. You can attack freighters these days? Do they explode spectacularly? A while back one of my friends was only interested in blowing up big ships and was disappointed to learn that he could only defend them.

For the most part still no, you can blow up the cargo modules on the big ones and some of the "smaller big ones" are basically just a single floating cargo module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I guess if the devs allowed you to start murdering civilized aliens then most of the game would be bereft of life