Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

What was the name of that comedy show in the 2000's that was in the middle of nowhere I want to say Illinois, that had the Best Wrestler Ever title that was a WCW big gold belt with a sheet of spiral notebook paper scotch taped to it, and the title written in sharpie? I believe it also featured Colt Cabana in a Banana suit? I can't remember what the actual show was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bushmeister posted:

So, MMA has some incredibly violent brawls in its lowest weightclasses

So who are the smallest wrestlers to have absolute barnburner brawls/beat-the-poo poo-out-of-each-other matches in wrestling? No flips no tricks just Vader vs Hansen but the combined weight of everyone in the ring at any one time does not exceed 300lbs

I'd book Fuminori Abe vs Fujita Hayato for an absolutely violent slugfest between 2 guys who are about MMA Welterweight, 170lbs.

Someone at MMA Featherweight would be about the size of Spike Dudley and there just aren't many males at that size in pro wrestling. And a lot of them will work their weight to seem bigger than they are.

If you look at women's wrestling then there's an absurd amount of choice. Former MMA fighter & current World Of Stardom champ Syuri vs WWE's Asuka would count. That'd have high violence potential.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

History Comes Inside! posted:

Injury. It’s one of these things that could clear up tomorrow or never clear up ever, it’s purely cosmetic though thankfully.
So the coolest visual wrestler gimmick choice I have seen in ages is a medical condition? Perfect

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a name for this version of the Skyscrapers entrance theme? Or is it just generic music whipped up for them? I always thought it was one of the greatest big man entrance songs.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxcDK-PAVOiDcgOuQfvb35_YHi2_hZj99R

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How where the exoticos in the 40's-80's treated by the fans? I assume they where treated like heels in the ring, but did they get bashed/arrested for the gimmick or did the general public treat them as actors/gimmicks?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Defenestrategy posted:

How where the exoticos in the 40's-80's treated by the fans? I assume they where treated like heels in the ring, but did they get bashed/arrested for the gimmick or did the general public treat them as actors/gimmicks?

afaik they were hated both in the ring and out of it. there are stories of maestros having to teach real shooting to exoticos because both the fans and the wrestlers thought they were deviants and would try to shoot on them

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Grey posted:

Is there a name for this version of the Skyscrapers entrance theme? Or is it just generic music whipped up for them? I always thought it was one of the greatest big man entrance songs.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxcDK-PAVOiDcgOuQfvb35_YHi2_hZj99R

It's an actual real song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mEuIvfFCA

It was first used as the entrance theme for Undertaker when he was wrestling solo as Mean Mark Callous in WCW and then they just transferred it over to the Skyscrapers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite NWA theme that I don't think was an actual song is, of course, the entrance theme for Doom and then just Ron Simmons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhsWQBziRz4&t

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

DOOMocrat posted:

What was the name of that comedy show in the 2000's that was in the middle of nowhere I want to say Illinois, that had the Best Wrestler Ever title that was a WCW big gold belt with a sheet of spiral notebook paper scotch taped to it, and the title written in sharpie? I believe it also featured Colt Cabana in a Banana suit? I can't remember what the actual show was called.

Totally Tool Wrestling. And Colt was a twinkie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite NWA theme that I don't think was an actual song is, of course, the entrance theme for Doom and then just Ron Simmons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhsWQBziRz4&t

Yeah, it was from some music library thing.

https://www.discogs.com/release/14398428-Steve-Martin-16-Arch-Bacon-Vicki-Benckert-Fashion-Vol-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1WXb-egD4

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did mike tenay lose his love for wrestling? i post this like we even have any tenay experts anymore. what happened to this place?

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 24, 2022

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cavauro posted:

did mike tenay lose his love for wrestling? i post this like we even have any tenay experts anymore. what happened to this place?

He quietly retired from wrestling in 2016, and he's 67 now. I'm sure he could get another job in the wrestling business if he wanted one, but I don't blame him if he has just had enough of that life and wants to just enjoy being retired.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't care about work. this is a wrestling professor who was writing newsletters before puberty and now he does not discuss it anywhere even casually such as a social media account. just sports betting. he turned his back on me. Why?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cavauro posted:

i don't care about work. this is a wrestling professor who was writing newsletters before puberty and now he does not discuss it anywhere even casually such as a social media account. just sports betting. he turned his back on me. Why?

I emailed to ask and he said

Mike Tenay posted:

That Cavauro guy doesn't deserve to know what I think and I will not discuss wrestling ever again as long as he lives.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What a monster! Cav’s my bubbie!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cavauro posted:

He'll occasionally do wor appearances but that's it....

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

copevauro

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Bruce Prichard a genuine piece of poo poo like the rest of Vince's boys or do people just want him gone because they dislike his work? I know he's a carny blowhard from his old podcast but I don't know if there's any damning stories.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Bruce Prichard a genuine piece of poo poo like the rest of Vince's boys or do people just want him gone because they dislike his work? I know he's a carny blowhard from his old podcast but I don't know if there's any damning stories.

Most of the rumours of really gross stuff seem to centred around Vince/Dunn/Johnny Ace.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bruce is a gross guy in terms of look at what he books in NXT 2.0, but in terms of gross poo poo people have actually done HHH leads the pack in current management with Stephanie right behind him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Prichard enthusiastically defends anything and everything the fed has ever done.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I can’t help but think of Prichard as Brother Love and that guy weirded me out as a kid.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Nystral posted:

I can’t help but think of Prichard as Brother Love and that guy weirded me out as a kid.

What blows my mind is that he was only in his mid to late 20s when he did that gimmick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Prichard enthusiastically defends anything and everything the fed has ever done.

And sadly his brother Dr. Tom who is a fantastic wrestler stumped for Kane so... oh, well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question but I got a month of the Combat Zone streaming service and was wondering if anyone had good/essential/their favorite match reccomendations

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question but I got a month of the Combat Zone streaming service and was wondering if anyone had good/essential/their favorite match reccomendations

Hero vs Kingston, loser leaves CZW street fight "Out with the Old, in with the New"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 25, 2022

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

MrBling posted:

It's an actual real song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mEuIvfFCA

It was first used as the entrance theme for Undertaker when he was wrestling solo as Mean Mark Callous in WCW and then they just transferred it over to the Skyscrapers.

Awesome... thank you. I had no idea it was the Scorpions.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

And sadly his brother Dr. Tom who is a fantastic wrestler stumped for Kane so... oh, well.

Dr. Tom also tagged with Jimmy Del Ray, who I used to like until I recently found out that he was a date rapist.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Cage of Death V

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Dr. Tom also tagged with Jimmy Del Ray, who I used to like until I recently found out that he was a date rapist.

The Heavenly Bodies' talent for wrestling was eclipsed only by talent for being awful people (which is sadly common).

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I've heard it said a few times that Owen Hart was supposed to be "The Game" rather than Triple H. His first use of "The Game" in a promo was the month after Owen died. Is there anything to this? I don't even think the game is a gimmick, it's just a moniker. Unless Owen was going to gain lots of muscle mass, marry Stephanie and cut 20 minute promos?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've read from a few different sources that ECW wasn't anywhere near as good after 1997 as it had been previously. Is this true? If so, why? The first time I ever came across ECW was Anarchy Rules 99 and I thought it was one of the most amazing wrestling shows I'd ever seen. What was so good about ECW prior to 97?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I've read from a few different sources that ECW wasn't anywhere near as good after 1997 as it had been previously. Is this true? If so, why? The first time I ever came across ECW was Anarchy Rules 99 and I thought it was one of the most amazing wrestling shows I'd ever seen. What was so good about ECW prior to 97?

ECW lost a lot of its top stars in 97-98. Raven, Sandman, Whipwreck, Public Enemy (laugh if you must) and others left. Heyman also had some bad ideas for how to fill the gaps like the cursed Jake Roberts involvement and the people he started to push like Justin Credible weren't very good. However, there was a dead cat bounce in mid 99. Mike Awesome winning the title and having great matches with Masato Tanaka while Tajiri and Super Crazy were also tearing it up and Jerry Lynn was getting over really gave the company a shot in the arm. But when Awesome left everything fell apart. Heyman started putting more effort into burying TNN on TV than booking a good show.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Public Enemy was an example of how you can make even a couple of lovely wrestlers look great if you're more focused on playing to what they're good at than on getting your rocks off laughing at your own product

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pushing Justin Credible, a good idea because hey, at least this time it's unlikely anyone will poach your top guy. Of course he also won't be much of a draw for you either...

I get Heyman felt cheated by TNN for not doing any advertising for the show but holy hell did he handle it in the worst way possible by throwing a hissyfit about "the network".

And yes, Public Enemy are probably the peak of Heyman as a booker, he got Ted Petty over as a cool street hood type deal when he was already about 40 when they debuted in ECW.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

Pushing Justin Credible, a good idea because hey, at least this time it's unlikely anyone will poach your top guy. Of course he also won't be much of a draw for you either...

Austin Theory.

Time is a flat circle.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

this was the hunter johnston mentality with booking sinclair era roh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Matt Taven over then unknown to be sex pest Marty Scurll was genuinely baffling and insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

keithy george posted:

I've heard it said a few times that Owen Hart was supposed to be "The Game" rather than Triple H. His first use of "The Game" in a promo was the month after Owen died. Is there anything to this? I don't even think the game is a gimmick, it's just a moniker. Unless Owen was going to gain lots of muscle mass, marry Stephanie and cut 20 minute promos?

No idea but I hope its true, as HHH lost a 3 way against Owen and Shamrock in a "king of kings" match. Shamrock was dubbed the King of Kings which HHH would use years later with his Motorhead theme :xd: